The Hotel Guru is my “go to” site for hotel recommendations Rebecca Terrazas.
Search the best hotels in Gramado
Located along Brazil's Rota Romântica, or Romantic Route, the quaint city of Gramado in Brazil's southeast corner is a lovely spot for a relaxing city break. Surrounded by lush forests, dramatic waterfalls and peaceful lakes, the city is ideal for those wanting to enjoy the area's natural beauty but still enjoy the creature comforts of being in a relatively built-up area. The accommodation choice is equally broad with the best places to stay in Gramado ranging from rustic guesthouses to luxury suites.
Originally occupied by Portuguese immigrants in 1875, Gramado then received a subsequent influx of German and Italian inhabitants. The German influence can easily be seen in the city's architecture, with plenty of turreted, Alpine-style, timber-framed buildings dotted around.
This sudden display of traditional rural European architecture right in the middle of South America gives Gramado an incredibly unique, charming feel. In fact, if you're not expecting it then it will definitely come as a bit of a shock!
And, that's not the only throwback to the city's European past. Wander along the streets and you'll pick up more than a few whiffs of chocolate - chocolate fondues are big in this part of Brazil, especially during the chilly winter months.
Gramado is one of those places that's equally as impressive no matter the season. In winter, it's a cosy hideaway with wonderful spas and great food to enjoy - in summer, it's the perfect gateway to some of Brazil's loveliest countryside. Either way, it's a splendid option.
What not to miss
- The Lago Negro, or Black Lake, is perfect for an afternoon stroll in the sun. Alternatively, you can hire paddle boats for the whole family and head out on the water!
- Another spot to enjoy a bit of peace and quiet is the tranquil Le Jardin Parque de Lavanda.
- Mini Mundo, which features a variety of miniature cities from all around the world, is a fascinating spot to spend a few hours.
Given its many charms, the best places to stay in Gramado get quickly booked up - book well in advance to avoid disappointment.
The best places to stay in Gramado
For a rural retreat
Our pick of the best places to stay in Gramado are all located in the city's stunning surrounding countryside.
- St Hubertus Estalgem is charming stay with smartly-decorated suites, cosy communal areas and a superb location right by the Black Lake.
- 6-room La Hacienda is, as the name suggests, a farm-come-hotel. Their rustic accommodation, featuring smatterings of antiques and exposed wooden beams, is bound to please, whilst there are plenty of activities on offer to keep you busy.
- If you're looking for luxury then Saint Andrews is your best bet. Perched on a hilltop with sublime views as far as the eye can see, their classy accommodation and superb restaurant only add to the delight. Wonderfully romantic.
For an apartment, holiday home or villa
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Weather-wise, Gramado is hottest in the summer months - the average temperature climbs to 23°C in January.
- However, this is also when there's the most risk of rainfall. For a warm but drier visit, consider coming in March, October or November.
- Fly into São Paulo or Rio de Janeiro before taking a connecting flight on to Campo dos Bugres Airport (37 miles away) or Porto Alegre International Airport.
- From the airport, it's easiest to drive over to Gramado. Hire a car with Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our entire list of the best places to stay in Gramado.
- Widen the net to include our recommendations in Santa Catarina.
- Or feel free to contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Gramado
Varanda das Bromelias 17 rooms from £97Gramado
This boutique hotel is set in the woods in Gramado Varanda das Bromélias, Brazil. The individually styled rooms feature unique design pieces and homely soft furnishings; book a luxury suite for a private fireplace and large windows with beautiful views. Book into the chic spa; a cosy nature retreat.Local exploring - Set within the Gramado forest and just ten minutes from the centre of town, this hotel is a good base for local exploringFamilies - With family rooms available to accommodate adults and children, this hotel is a great option for familiesBack to Nature - Located in Gramado's verdant forest, this hotel makes for a tranquil retreat to natureGreat walks - Explore the beautiful natural landscape surrounding the hotel on a long walkRecommended by - Tablet
St Hubertus Estalgem 30 rooms from £140Gramado
This charming hotel lies right by the Black Lake in the hills of Gramado. It features suites furnished with wooden floors and white fabrics with cosy and inviting communal areas. Head for a walk around the area before relaxing with a book in front of the fire! A beautiful and peaceful spot.Great walks - There are plenty of stunning local hiking trails for you to exploreSecluded setting - For escaping.Views - Great views from hotelSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Hotel Ritta Höppner 34 rooms from £115Gramado
This charming hotel offers accommodation in a traditional, Bavarian-style property in Gramado. Choose from suites or chalets with classic interiors in a regal palette; expect plush linens and heritage furnishings. Book a chalet for a private pool. Dine at the renowned restaurant; a welcoming hotel.Families - There are excellent amenities for families here, with an outdoor play area for children. Kids love the swimming pool, tooFoodies - Foodies will be bowled over by the hotel's award-winning restaurant, serving traditional German cuisineLocal exploring - With a central location in Gramado, this hotel is the perfect base for local exploringSights nearby - Visit the pretty Joaquina Rita Bier Lake, located close to the hotel
Estalagem La Hacienda 7 rooms from £151Gramado
This hotel sits in a traditional country house in the rolling fields outside of Gramado, Brazil. Guestrooms boast exposed beams, original tiles and antique furnishings; book a chalet for a cosy private fireplace. Unwind by the pool before dining in the traditional restaurant; a warm, inviting hotel.Country Escape - With a tranquil country setting in the rolling fields outside of Gramado, this hacienda makes for an authentic rural retreatLocal exploring - With Gramado a short drive away, this hotel is well-located for local exploring in the regionRomantic Break - Couples love the hotel's heritage features and the cosy suites, in particular the fireplacesSights nearby - Visit the nearby Black Lake in Gramado, a man-made lake constructed to stop a fire that threatened to destroy local vegetation
La Hacienda 6 rooms from £224Gramado (Linha Serra Grande)
Set amidst glorious rolling hills south of Gramado, La Hacienda is a charming farm-come-hotel. The place brims with rustic authenticity and each room is individually appointed with antique interiors and exposed wooden beaming. Pick from walking, fishing or riding to explore the lovely surroundings.Great walks - Beautiful walking in the surrounding countryside.Fishing - Fly fishing trips can be arranged by the hotel.Sights nearby - Visit the nearby Palácio dos Festivais.Remote - Off the beaten track.
Saint Andrews 11 rooms from £675Gramado (Vale do Bosque)
Saint Andrews offers elegantly decorated rooms with great views only a mile from the centre of Gramado. The hotel features luxurious, classy decor and eating at the superb restaurant is a must. Make use of the free bikes available so you can explore the area. An upmarket and romantic country escape.Great walks - There are plenty of stunning hikes all over the valley that are definitely worth experiencingViews - Looking out over the Vale do Quilombo Valley is truly stunning.Restrictions on children - Not suitable for children under 14yrs.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux