Search the best hotels in Battambang
Set on the banks of the Sangkae River, laid-back Battambang is a charming historic city. A wonderful Cambodian destination for a couple of days of ambling in the sunshine or cycling alongside the surrounding rice paddy fields, it’s also a brilliant springboard for riverboat trips. Accommodation options include intimate heritage hotels as well as tranquil village hideaways, perfect for a range of tastes and budgets. Characterful and family-run, the best places to stay in Battambang will delight couples, friends and families.
Stroll along Battambang’s boulevards to admire the French colonial architecture of Psar Nat, or Art Deco masterpieces such as the Central Market and the station. You’ll spot myriad statues of mythical animals and Khmer kings as you wander, too. Step into Battambang Museum, or venture further afield to beautiful Wat Banan for an insight into the region's past. The ‘Killing Caves’ of the Khmer Rouge at Phnom Sampeu are a chilling reminder of the tragedies of Cambodia’s recent history, yet well worth visiting.
This is Cambodia’s largest rice-producing region, so hikes and cycle rides through the lush paddy fields are superb. Rides along the inventive bamboo train, on the other hand, are a sure-fire family favourite. The journey to Siem Reap and Angkor Wat, however, is one of the world’s greatest river trips and not to be missed. Speak to the team at your pick of the best places to stay in Battambang to arrange your tickets!
The Best Places to Stay in Battambang
For Heritage Charm
- La Villa is a charming 1930s villa with just seven guestrooms, each featuring tiled floors, four-poster beds and wooden antiques. The bright conservatory is now a cosy dining room, and the pool a perfect place for a soak after a day of exploring historic Battambang. Intimate and romantic.
For a Tranquil Escape
- Maisons Wat Kor is a lovely collection of 15 rooms, some of which have space for families. Set in four traditionally inspired houses in a tranquil village, this is an appealing choice for those looking to kick back in absolute tranquility. Put your feet up on your private terrace after enjoying massages in the garden cottage.
For an apartment or villa
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or villa we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Siem Reap International Airport, and take a three-hour bus or taxi to Battambang from there. Some hotels will be happy to arrange or advise on an airport pick up in advance.
- If you are comfortable driving in Asia, contact our partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- The weather in Battambang is hot and sticky throughout the year. Travel between November and March for slightly cooler temperatures. September and October are the rainiest months — bring umbrellas if travelling at those times!
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to see the the best places to stay in Siem Reap.
- Alternatively, check out our pick of the best places to stay in Cambodia.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Battambang
Best Hotels in Battambang
La Villa, Battambang Battambang 7 rooms from £67Local exploring - Well-placed for exploring historic Battambang on foot or by bicycle, with museums & restaurants within easy reachOther Activities - Take the scenic bamboo train from O Dambong to O Sra Lav - this is a Battambang classic for the whole familyGreat walks - Admire Battambang's impressive colonial architecture as you stroll along its Heritage Walking TrailRomantic Break - A romantic spot, set in a 1930s mansion with a swimming pool and charming restaurant
Delightful colonial villa in the heart of historic Battambang. Dating back to the 1930s, La Villa boasts seven quaint rooms including original tiled floors, traditional wooden shutters & big four-posters with billowing linens. Dining is in a bright conservatory and guests can relax by the pool. See More
Maisons Wat Kor Battambang (Wat Kor Village) 15 rooms from £77Cycling - Hire bicycles to zip around the village and alongside the picturesque rice paddy fields of the area with an expert guideTotal relaxation - Treat yourself to a rejuvenating massage and unwind in absolute bliss at this nature-focused, family-run spotLocal markets - Fill your bags with local crafts and fresh produce at the bustling Boeung Chhouk MarketValue chic - Lovely, inviting rooms offering terraces with garden views at a very reasonable price
Maisons Wat Kor is located in Wat Kor village, a short distance outside the city of Battambang. The family-owned property's houses are built in traditional Cambodian Khmer style with plenty of wooden features. Spacious, unfussy accommodation and traditional local cuisine. A lovely, relaxing spot. See More