- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ Book Online Now
Search the best hotels in Sihanoukville
Sihanoukville, also known as Kampong Som, is a coastal city in Cambodia. The best places to stay in Sihanoukville allow you to enjoy some of the loveliest stretches of beach in Asia and explore all that the area has to offer.
The city, which was named after King Norodom Sihanouk, is a very recent development - dating from the 1950’s - the settlement was carved out of jungle on a peninsula in the south west of the country. The city was established as Cambodia’s first and only deep water port. Now home to some 90,000 people, Sihanoukville is an interesting cosmopolitan and cultural mix. The flourishing port has brought commerce and trade yet the peninsula boasts uninterrupted beaches along the entirety of its shore. In the 1960’s the city became a destination for the Cambodian ‘jet set’ and also attracted notable international visitors such as Jacqueline Kennedy. Unfortunately war brought an end to this, much of the infrastructure was destroyed and it is only since 1993 that the area has begun to regenerate.
Although tourism is still in its infancy, this is a very popular resort again and Cambodia’s premier seaside destination. Sihanoukville has a diverse ethnic and religious community and is increasingly western looking. This is a great place to come on holiday - the beaches are spectacular, the restaurants and bars cater for every taste, there is a buzzing nightlife and all within a traditional Khmer cultural backdrop.
It is not all about sunbathing on the beach - you can take boat trips and discover idyllic sparsely populated islands and watersports of all varieties are available. All the traditional Asian festivals are respected and celebrated. The seafood is outstanding and there are endless numbers of craft shops to browse....Tourism is in its infancy here and hence this is a great place for anyone looking for an off the beaten track adventure.
What not to miss:
- Unwind on the beautiful swathes of white sand beaches.
- Visit the Wat Leu Temple with its colorful pointed roofs.
- Get out to sea and try your hand at kayaking, windsurfing or kitesurfing.
- Admire the natural beauty at Kbal Chhay Waterfall.
Our guide to the best places to stay in Sihanoukville has something for all tastes and budgets whether you're looking for a cheap and cheerful B&B or a little luxury.
Best places to stay in Sihanoukville
For great value on the beach
- The Secret Garden at Outres Beach is a simple yet stylish complex of seaside bungalows literally on the beach. The feeling is bohemian chic and very romantic. Private boat charters are available. Excellent value, with rooms from under £70 per night.
For luxury and a private beach
- Tamu Hotel is the epitome of ‘barefoot luxury’. The hotel boasts the best restaurant in town, private beach, chic rooms with retro interiors and many activities are available. This is style and sophistication at an incredible price (standard doubles from as little as £65 per night)!
For an apartment or villa
- If you've decided that a self catering property would be more suitable for your holiday, then we recommend you visit our online booking partner Booking.com where they have a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- Fly to the small Sihanoukville Airport located 17km to the east of town on the edge of Ream National Park.
- Best time to visit - Sihanoukville is a year-round destination with temperatures averaging 31°C. The monsoon comes between June - September and is best avoided.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Holiday Autos for the best prices.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Sihanoukville
The Secret Garden at Otres Beach 10 rooms from $90Sihanoukville
Simple yet stylish beach bungalow accommodation. Spread amongst tropical gardens the property surrounds an inviting pool. There are plenty of sun loungers on the beach and each bungalow has its own private terrace. Room are bohemian and chic, featuring modern bathrooms. All at a great price!Beach Life - Traditional beach shacks located on, where else, the beach.Value chic - Simple yet stylish accommodation at an inviting priceSailing - The hotel concierge will help you organise a private charter.Kayaking - There are kayaks available for guests to use.
Tamu Hotel 15 rooms from $85Sihanoukville (Krong Preah Sihanouk)
The ultimate in barefoot luxury Tamu boasts modern accommodation, a private beach and one of the best restaurants in town. Chic rooms and feature design features such as polished concrete floors, retro furnishings, contemporary bathrooms and private terraces with sun loungers. Beach yoga anyone?Beach Life - The epitome of barefoot luxury this property has its own stretch of private beach.Value chic - The accommodation, food, facilities and service is far above the price.Fishing - Head out to sea and catch yourself a fish supper.Sights nearby - Visit the monks at Wat Otres and give offerings.