Search the best hotels in Sihanoukville
Sihanoukville, also known as Kampong Som, is a coastal city in Cambodia. The best places to stay in Sihanoukville allow you to enjoy some of the loveliest stretches of beach in Asia and explore all that the area has to offer.
The city, which was named after King Norodom Sihanouk, is a very recent development - dating from the 1950’s - the settlement was carved out of jungle on a peninsula in the south west of the country. The city was established as Cambodia’s first and only deep water port. Now home to some 90,000 people, Sihanoukville is an interesting cosmopolitan and cultural mix. The flourishing port has brought commerce and trade yet the peninsula boasts uninterrupted beaches along the entirety of its shore. In the 1960’s the city became a destination for the Cambodian ‘jet set’ and also attracted notable international visitors such as Jacqueline Kennedy. Unfortunately war brought an end to this, much of the infrastructure was destroyed and it is only since 1993 that the area has begun to regenerate.
Although tourism is still in its infancy, this is a very popular resort again and Cambodia’s premier seaside destination. Sihanoukville has a diverse ethnic and religious community and is increasingly western looking. This is a great place to come on holiday - the beaches are spectacular, the restaurants and bars cater for every taste, there is a buzzing nightlife and all within a traditional Khmer cultural backdrop.
It is not all about sunbathing on the beach - you can take boat trips and discover idyllic sparsely populated islands and watersports of all varieties are available. All the traditional Asian festivals are respected and celebrated. The seafood is outstanding and there are endless numbers of craft shops to browse....Tourism is in its infancy here and hence this is a great place for anyone looking for an off the beaten track adventure.
What not to miss:
- Unwind on the beautiful swathes of white sand beaches.
- Visit the Wat Leu Temple with its colorful pointed roofs.
- Get out to sea and try your hand at kayaking, windsurfing or kitesurfing.
- Admire the natural beauty at Kbal Chhay Waterfall.
Our guide to the best places to stay in Sihanoukville has something for all tastes and budgets whether you're looking for a cheap and cheerful B&B or a little luxury.
The Best Places to stay in Sihanoukville
For an apartment or villa
- If you've decided that a self catering property would be more suitable for your holiday, then we recommend you visit our online booking partner Booking.com where they have a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- This might surprise you, but Sihanoukville, does have its own international airport, which is about 15kms east of town. The international connections are still quite limited, at the moment, you can fly to Ho Chi Minh City, Kuala Lumpur or Kunming, China, or you can arrive via other Cambodian hubs. Many people choose to get to Sihanoukville on land, most often via Phnom Penh, but travelling by water is another option.
- Sihanoukville is hot all year round, with maximum daily averages shifting between 26°C in December to 31°C in April. Here the worst of the monsoon can be expected between June and September.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure?
- Browse our list of the best places to stay in Sihanoukville.
- Widen the net to include our recommendations in Kep or Phu Quoc.
- Or contact a friendly guru for advice.
Monthly Weather in Sihanoukville
Best Hotels in Sihanoukville
Port Hedonia Sihanoukville (Kâmpóng Saôm) 12 rooms from £51Beach Life - Sokha, Ou Chheuteal and Independence beaches are all within 5km of the property and can be reached easily by local tuk-tukTotal relaxation - Spend lazy days relaxing by the large outdoor pool, surrounded by jungle and with a sea-facing sun terraceSights nearby - Wat Leu, one of Sihanoukville's most famous Buddhist temples, is just around the cornerSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Boutique hotel located in central Sihanoukville; lush tropical gardens surround the property giving it a relaxed vibe. The pool has incredible sea views and each of the 12 boutique-chic monochrome rooms face the greenery. There is a restaurant and an excellent concierge team to help with day trips. See More
White Boutique Hotel and Residences Sihanoukville (Kompong Som) 19 rooms from £100Beach Life - There are miles of beach walking distance from the property, as well as day trips to explore local tropical islandsRomantic Break - Spend lazy days on the beach, followed by a massage, sea-view outdoor bath and a romantic private dinnerSights nearby - Otres Beach, with its white sand and turquoise water is 10 metres from the propertySailing - Take a boat trip out to Koh Rong and Koh Rong Samloem islands
A beach-front boutique hotel located in Sihanoukville. 19 rooms and suites are spacious with fun and contemporary decor; many come with sea-facing balconies as well as hammocks and private lawns. Enjoy the natural andesite and quartz stone pool, direct beach access, spa, gym, restaurant and bar. See More