Search the best hotels in Sihanoukville
A coastal city in south-western Cambodia, Sihanoukville is famed for its beautiful beaches and its lively evening scene. Just under three hours’ drive from Phnom Penh, it has become an increasingly popular destination for eager beach-goers, and is the gateway to the idyllic island of Koh Rong. Accommodation options in the area range from simple guesthouses to gorgeous luxury hideaways; our Gurus’ list of the best places to stay in Sihanoukville highlights some real gems.
Named after King Norodom Sihanouk, the city only dates back to the 1950s, when a settlement was carved out of the lush coastal jungle to create Cambodia’s first and only deepwater port. Now home to 90,000 people and largely regenerated after the country’s civil war, it has become a favourite amongst Cambodians seeking weekend getaways from Phnom Penh, as well as with international visitors. Expect to find cafés, bars and restaurants aplenty, as well as tour operators organising day trips to nearby islands, guided forest hikes and cycling tours from the main strip. Spend your days sunbathing, swimming, snorkelling and diving or try kayaking, paddle boarding and jet-skiing in clear, tranquil waters.
For off-the-beaten track adventures, head inland to the verdant Cardamom Mountains, where conservation efforts are being made to preserve endemic wildlife and little-explored natural environments. Waterfall treks, bird-watching excursions and mountain bike journeys are brilliant for keen explorers.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Sihanoukville includes a private island escape and boutique city pad.
The Best Places to stay in Sihanoukville
For Beachfront Chic
- White Boutique Hotel & Residences is a chic beachfront bolthole in Sihanoukville with 19 rooms and suites set around a refreshing swimming pool. Sea-facing private balconies with hammocks are a nice touch, as are the spa, gym, restaurant and bar. Great for couples or families.
For a Luxury Escape
- Six Senses Krabey Island is a serene private island escape with just forty suites and villas each with its own private pool. Beautiful interiors feature lots of polished wood, and palm fringed decks provide sun loungers and ocean views. There are a couple of dining options, a cinema under the stars and a superb trademark Six Senses Spa. Seriously spoiling!
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Sihanoukville International Airport; some hotels will be happy to arrange an airport pick up in advance. Alternatively, travel to Phnom Penh International Airport, and journey just under three hours by road to Sihanoukville.
- It's brilliant to have the independence of your own transport if you're comfortable driving in Asia. Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Temperatures hover around 26-31°C for much of the year, with the heaviest rainfall expected between June and September. Travel between November and January for slightly cooler temperatures.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Koh Rong.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Cambodia.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Sihanoukville
Best Hotels in Sihanoukville
White Boutique Hotel and Residences Sihanoukville (Kompong Som) 19 rooms from £101Romantic Break - Spend lazy days on the beach, followed by a massage, sea-view outdoor bath and a romantic private dinnerBeach Life - Set on Otres 2 Beach, this is a lovely spot for a beach holiday in buzzy SihanoukvilleSailing - Take a boat trip out to Koh Rong for snorkelling, diving and relaxed sunbathingOther Activities - Enjoy a day trip out to Kep to explore its pepper farms and local crab markets
A beachfront boutique hotel in Sihanoukville with 19 spacious rooms & suites featuring fun, contemporary decor. Many have sea-facing balconies as well as hammocks and private lawns. Enjoy the natural andesite and quartz stone pool, direct beach access, spa, gym, restaurant and buzzy bar. See More
Six Senses Krabey Island Sihanoukville (Cambodia) 40 rooms from £518Families - Book a two-bedroom villa for a terrific family holiday, complete with outdoor activities galore and cinema nights on the sandHoneymoons - An indulgent honeymoon resort, perfect for those dreaming of an idyllic island getaway with a superb spa & stacks of styleWildlife Area - Spot dolphins, monkeys, pelicans & endangered sea eagles on hikes and boat trips in the Ream National ParkHotel boats for hire - Step aboard a hotel boat for a beautiful day of island-hopping in the ocean around KrabeyRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A serene island escape with 40 sleek suites & villas, each boasting its own private pool. Polished wood interiors open onto jungle-fringed platforms with sun loungers and ocean views, whilst bedrooms have big draped beds with light blue accents. Chic & contemporary, this is a glorious island escape. See More