Search the best hotels in Fernie
Cool, and not just due to the snowy mountains which totally encompass it, Fernie has a breathtaking Canadian Rockies setting - with metres and metres of heavy blanketed snow. Under all that snow, Fernie has an historic centre and a wonderfully friendly vintage vibe with great cafes, bars, independent shops and galleries. Some of the best places to stay in Fernie can be found within the village, but there are also some great ski-in ski-out resorts which qualify for our Guru’s list of the best places to stay in Fernie.
Fernie is probably best known by skiers, snowboarders, tobogganists and Nordic skiers for its deep powder snow - the resort averages 875cms of snow a year. But it’s also known for being compact; you can get around the resort on foot or catch the free shuttle buses between the slopes and the bars downtown.
There are a lot of ungroomed runs, and it’s pretty steep, so this is an adventurous place to ski, especially when you add in the lightly wooded slopes, but there are also some good runs for beginners.
Fernie isn’t totally set up for tourists, it’s still a town which works for local inhabitants, and there’s a certain charm to that. During summer Fernie is a wonderful spot for hikers.
Just don't forget to book well ahead if you want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in Fernie during the winter season - it's a very popular spot!
What not to miss
- Fernie Museum is an absolute must for those wanting to get to know more about the area
- Head off on long hikes around the beautiful Mount Fernie National Park in the summer or autumn - a stunning spot.
- Enjoy a tipple at the Fernie Brewing Company after having a tour. Or, alternatively, head to Fernie Distillers.
- Then, of course, choose your mechanism, be it: skis, board or sledge and explore the area's world-class runs.
The best places to stay in Fernie
For the great outdoors
- The Island Lake Lodge is a collection of just three log-cabin style lodges nestled around a frozen lake surrounded by cedar forests. Peaceful and relaxing there’s also a great restaurant and a fantastic spa and treatment menu.
For village location
- If you’re looking for one of the best value places to stay in Fernie, then the Best Western Fernie Mountain Lodge is a great choice. It’s a traditional hotel close to the ski resort with 97 simple, warm, welcoming rooms and friendly, knowledgeable staff. Ideal for families and great all year round.
For access to the slopes
- The Lizard Creek Lodge is a slope-side hotel with a collection of rooms, suites and loft-style apartments. There’s a wonderfully well equipped heated outdoor pool, hot tub and spa, plus a ski rental shop, and a fine dining restaurant and bar. Hassle free and great fun with superb views.
For an apartment
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Weather-wise, the best time to visit is in the summer months - the average temperature rises to 20°C in July.
- This though is when Fernie's at its busiest. For a quieter and cheaper time to visit, consider the shoulder seasons; spring and autumn.
- You can fly into Cranbrook's Canadian Rockies Airport, however international flights are limited. You may have to fly into Calgary Airport instead and take a Greyhound bus to Fernie - though these usually take around 5 hours.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Fernie.
- Expand your search to include all our British Columbia recommendations.
- Or, feel free to contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Fernie
Best Hotels in Fernie
Best Western Fernie Mountain Lodge Fernie 97 rooms from £86Local markets - Visit the Fernie Summer Mountain Market every Sunday where local artisans and producers bring their produce.Swimming Pool - Indoor year round pool.Restaurant - Breakfast includedLively - Hip and happening.
A traditional hotel close to Fernie Alpine Ski Resort in the Rocky Mountains. The simple rooms are warm, welcoming and incredibly comfortable, ideal for the weary skier! The friendly staff are extremely knowledgeable about the area. Perfect for active family holiday all year round. See More
Lizard Creek Lodge Fernie 99 rooms from £68Skiing - A ski in/ski out hotel within steps from the Elk Quad ChairFishing - Fly fish in the clear waters of the Elk RiverViews - Great views from hotelSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Somewhat of an institution in Fernie, this slope-side hotel has everything from simple rooms to three room loft apartments. Fully equipped with heated outdoor pool & hot tub, ski rental shop, spa & a fine dining restaurant and bar. Fireplaces keep things cosy. The ideal spot for a hassle free stay. See More
Island Lake Lodge Fernie 26 rooms from £90Fishing - Try catching a native Westslope Cutthroat or a monster Bull Trout whilst fly fishingBack to Nature - Access to 7000 acres to explore of the Lizard Range in the BC Rocky MountainsGreat walks - Discover the Elk Valley on one of the many country trailsSecluded setting - For escaping.
Just beyond Fernie sits three lodges nestled between a frozen lake and a cedar forest. Whole larch and tamarack trunks create the classic log cabin feel. They take their cuisine as seriously as guests take the slopes and treatment rooms offer all manner of relaxation for post ski aches and pains. See More