Search the best hotels in Antigua
Antigua is a classic Caribbean destination, lined with palm-fringed beaches of white sand, and adored by sailors since the days of Horatio Nelson. Accommodation options are wide-ranging, with everything from simple guesthouses to indulgent luxury resorts, suited to a whole host of budgets. Whether you’re dreaming of a romantic escape, a fun-filled family holiday or an active break with friends, the best places to stay in Antigua promise heaps of Caribbean charm and easy access to spellbinding beaches, verdant hills and intriguing heritage buildings.
If this is your first time to the island, consider staying in St John’s, Antigua’s capital. Expect a plethora of cafés, bars and restaurants, as well as great shopping and a vibrant evening scene. Culture aficionados will adore visiting the impressive Baroque cathedral, excellent museums and historic monuments. There are wonderful nearby beaches, too, including the two-kilometre stretch of Runaway Beach, lined with its own beach bars, eateries and good value hotels. Both places are bustling: great for sociable travellers, rather than tranquil hideaway-types who will prefer the quiet coves of the west coast, punctuated only by the thriving marina at Jolly Harbour.
In fitting with its long sailing history, Antigua’s other big draw is English Harbour, where Nelson once based his navy. Lively, friendly and a little bit glitzy, this is a firm favourite with travellers in search of colonial charm and nautically-inspired hotels — as well as anyone arriving on their own yacht. The town’s highlights include Nelson’s Dockyard, a beautifully preserved Georgian marina, eighteenth-century forts, and some gorgeous secluded beaches with coral reefs perfect for snorkelling and diving. Slightly more low-key Falmouth sits just along the cove, ideal for laid-back couples.
For expansive resorts, look to Dickenson Bay, a long crescent of pale sand with fantastic water-sports offerings and a fun vibe. Families and hikers, on the other hand, will enjoy sheltered St Mary, where the calm waters are ideal for little ones to swim, and the surrounding hills make for fabulous jungle walks, panoramic views and fascinating wildlife-spotting. If you’re into windsurfing and kitesurfing, head to the Atlantic beaches of Long Island and Nonsuch Bay, on the eastern side, where the best breezes blow. The island’s first sugar plantation, at Betty’s Hope, is nearby and well worth visiting. Antigua is a hugely popular Christmas and New Year destination — though it’s fairly busy throughout the year, too. Book your trip well in advance to guarantee a room at one of the best places to stay in Antigua!
The Best Places to Stay on Antigua
For Barefoot Luxury
- Jumby Bay Island is amongst the Caribbean's most exclusive destinations. Set on a private island slightly north of Antigua, 40 extravagant suites and villas are scattered across 300 acres, perfect for couples or families. Navigate the island by bicycle or golf cart, explore the farm and sugar mill, or kick back on the beach. With sociable Caribbean barbecues, indulgent candlelit dinners, morning yoga, a rejuvenating spa, a fun kids club and the chance to help with the island's turtle conservation project, there's something here for everyone.
- Hammock Cove is a chic, five-star resort close to Wilkies and the Devil’s Bridge National Park. Contemporary sea-facing villas have beautiful interiors, with vaulted ceilings, hardwood furnishings and plunge pools. Enjoy myriad water-sports from the private beach, a superb spa and a great gym. Highlights include the fabulous restaurant, guided nature walks and lively events programme. Very luxurious.
- Hermitage Bay promises an opulent escape for couples and honeymooners, or families with teenage children. 30 suites and villas are hidden amidst the lush jungle of the hillside, overlooking a pristine stretch of white, west coast sand. Come for the fabulous sense of privacy, the top-notch food — there's a daily-changing menu — and the chance to really indulge. Evenings have a fun, cocktail-party atmosphere.
- Curtain Bluff sits at the tip of a south-western peninsula, with Caribbean and Atlantic beaches — best admired from its 72 idyllic rooms and suites. Stay on the ground floor for direct access to the sand, or hide away on the hillside and gaze out at the ocean from your own infinity pool. This is an all-inclusive resort with all the trimmings, including tennis courts, sailing, snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, cooking classes, and an ever-changing menu of daily specialities. The charming Caribbean-style decor and the gourmet fare are a big draw.
- The Great House features just eight elegant suites, perfect for an intimate couples' getaway or tranquil honeymoon. An historic sugar plantation tucked amidst verdant gardens, this adults-only spot specialises in farm-to-table cuisine, superb spa treatments and creative retreats. Think writing workshops, painting masterclasses and yoga in a secluded heritage setting. Quiet, charming and romantic.
- Galley Bay is an adults-only beach resort, offering 98 rooms and suites set along a lovely lagoon on Antigua's west coast. The property's size means that activities — from scuba lessons to cooking classes and catamaran cruises — are plentiful, but the length of the beach ensures that there's still lots of privacy. Book a suite with a private plunge pool and treat yourself to a soothing massage at the excellent spa. Expect cracking food and cocktails, too. All inclusive and ideal for laid-back couples.
- The Inn at English Harbour is a charming beachfront gem, with 28 rooms and suites featuring period furnishings, mahogany four-posters and superb sea views. Unwind on the private beach, hit the tennis courts, paddle around the heated pool, or head to the gym and spa before kicking back in the chic Italian restaurant. A pretty, elegant spot within easy reach of all the English Harbour action and attractions.
- Keyonna Beach Resort is a collection of rustic beach cabins set on the white sands and clear waters of Turner's Beach. Pick this place for its intimate, laid-back feel, with just 20 adults-only rooms and cabins and an adults-only policy. Book a cabin for your own private plunge pool, enjoy restorative treatments at the Balinese spa, and feast on fresh seafood at the beachside restaurant. A super-chilled hideaway.
- Sugar Ridge is a sophisticated hillside resort with breathtaking ocean views. The most generous of the 60 rooms and suites feature plunge pools and large terraces, there's a plethora of wonderful treatments at the island's only Aveda Concept spa, and two gourmet restaurants for romantic dinners. With yoga classes, hiking, biking and rum distillery tours available, this is a fun boutique pick for active couples.
- The Hawksbill Hotel is a relaxed, adult-only spot in a secluded part of Antigua. Its 111 simple rooms, villas and chalets are dotted amongs the lush tropical forest, and there are four private beaches — including the island's only naturist beach. Great for cycling, kayaking, sailing and kicking back on your private terrace — also excellent value!
- Nonsuch Bay, on Antigua's eastern coast, is a contemporary seafront spot with a spectacular clifftop infinity pool, as well as 42 cottages, apartments and villas — perfect for families. The accommodation is self-catering, but the hotel also offers excellent cuisine. You can unwind on the private beach and hit the spa, but it’s the watersports facilities that really stand out. Think sailing lessons, keel boating, snorkelling, raft building and excursions to nearby Green Island. A family-friendly pick with a chic, Mediterranean vibe.
- The Verandah Resort & Spa is a relaxed, all-inclusive beach resort near the Devil’s Bridge National Park. It’s big, with 200 suites and villas, but that means stacks of facilities and activities for guests of all ages, including a cinema, tennis courts, mini-golf, water-sports and marine excursions. The kids club has a great programme of events, and there's space for everyone in the two-bedroom cottages with plunge pools. Very reasonably priced and appealing for active families.
- Blue Waters promises 67 splendid rooms, suites and cottages just five miles from St Johns and the airport. Think white-on-white interiors with Italian tiles and sea-facing balconies, as well as heaps of space for families. Everyone will adore the three beach areas, multiple pools, tennis courts, yoga, water-sports and four eateries. Plus grown-ups can hide away at the spa whilst the little ones are at the kids club or the crèche. Stylish and family-friendly.
- Carlisle Bay is a sublime south coast resort with a smart, country club feel, ideal for honeymooners or active families. Expect 82 lavish rooms and suites with hammocks, big bathrooms and sea views, as well as a beautiful pool, nine tennis courts, a superb spa and four restaurants. Kids will love the cinema room, bike tours, family-focused beach areas and ample activities. There's a dedicated stretch of beach for grown-ups, too! Chic and understated, the property's setting, under coconut trees in a sheltered bay, makes it very special.
For Great Value
- Dickenson Bay Cottages is a collection of one and two-bedroom villas a few minutes north of St. John's. Expect bright, tropical decor, fragrant gardens with a shared pool, and a laid-back atmosphere. The cottages are self-catering and comfortable, and there are some great restaurants within walking distance. You can stroll to the beach, too. A great value choice for couples or families.
- The Anchorage Inn sits just minutes from one of Antigua's best beaches. Family-run and relaxed, this yellow-painted property offers an outdoor pool, large gardens and space for large families. Simple, affordable and close to lots of the main sights — as well as a great water-sports centre.
- Admiral's Inn is a characterful 19-room harbour hotel, perfect for sailors and history buffs. Think exposed beams, wooden floors and four-poster beds, as well as a sunny terrace overlooking Nelson's Dockyard and a waterfront restaurant. Stay here to experience Antigua's history — and to watch boats bobbing in the harbour from the swimming pool. Excellent value.
For an Apartment or Villa
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to VC Bird International Airport, a major Caribbean airport with excellent connections across Europe and North America. Most hotels will be happy to arrange an airport transfer in advance. There are taxis and car hire options at the airport, as well as regular buses — though you can expect to make frequent stops and slow progress if you choose to hop aboard! Cruise ships dock at St John’s.
- Antigua is perfect for exploring by road! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Set close to the equator, Antigua experiences less seasonal change than many of its Caribbean neighbours — and it's also less humid. Expect temperatures of around 28°C from December to March (peak season). The hurricane season — best avoided — runs from June to November. Outside those months, you can expect lots of sunshine. Travel outside school holidays if you're looking for a tranquil getaway and great hotel deals.
Still not sure?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Barbuda, the other half of this island nation.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the Caribbean.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Antigua
Best Hotels in Antigua
The Great House Antigua 8 rooms from £513Exclusive offer - 20% off all bookings throughout 2021Total relaxation - The Great House offers a place to totally switch off with its off the beaten track location and excellent serviceHoneymoons - With just eight suites, and no children allowed, this romantic property is the perfect honeymoon destinationSpa - Banana Spa offers a wide range of relaxing treatments which will be tailored to your personal requirementsViews - The property enjoys stunning sea views
Antigua's finest hidden gem. A truly historic property situated amid extensive tropical gardens. Choose between beautiful individually designed suites in the main house or a more contemporary feel in one of the garden rooms. Banana Spa for pampering, pool for lounging and fabulous food too! See More
Anchorage Inn St Johns, Antigua 40 rooms from £90Families - Family-run hotel, and family friendly ambience with low key restaurants, and close to island's best beachesLocal markets - St John's is five minutes drive awaySwimming Pool - Outdoor poolSailing - Can be booked nearby.
Relaxed family-run hotel just two minutes drive from some of Antigua's best beaches. Large rooms have colourful fabrics and balconies. Outdoor pool and spa treatments available. Breakfast is served in the sunny gardens. Casual, friendly, pretty and perfect for those on a budget. See More
Dickenson Bay Cottages St Johns, Antigua 14 rooms from £96Families - Villas with small kitchens are ideal family size, plenty of activities for allSailing - Boat available to explore other neighbouring islands, including our sister island of Barbuda, Montserrat, Bird IslandLocal markets - St John's market is nearbySights nearby - Just outside St John'sRecommended by - Fodors
Admiral's Inn Antigua 19 rooms from £113Sights nearby - Right inside Nelson's Dockyard. Close to Shirley Heights & St Paul's Anglican Church, the island's oldestViews - Most rooms have great views of Nelson's Dockyard and the baySailing - Several sailing events held annuallyDiving - Soul Immersion Diving CentreRecommended by - Fodors
Characterful hotel by the harbour. The elegant rooms feature exposed beams, four-poster beds and wooden floors. Sun drenched terrace with large parasols overlooking Nelson's Dockyard, and charming restaurant serving local seafood. A wonderful spot to soak up the island's history & great for sailors. See More
Hawksbill Hotel Antigua 111 rooms from £169Romantic Break - Four secluded beaches to choose from, snorkelling and sailing trips, quiet villas and large balconiesOn the beach - Four beaches including Antigua's only "clothing optional" beachSailing - Complimentary sailing excursionsRestrictions on childrenRecommended by - Fodors
Sugar Ridge Antigua 60 rooms from £195Hideaway - Super private ambience, with private terraces with day beds and plunge pools surrounded by tropical flowersRomantic Break - Four poster beds, breathtaking views, couples spa treatments and trips to local rum makersSights nearby - Nelson Dockyard and Shirley HeightsSailing - Set sail from Jolly Harbour marinaRecommended by - Kiwi Collection
Nonsuch Bay Antigua 42 rooms from £326Families - Daytime kids club and creche is included for hotel guests. Babysitting can be arranged.Active Holiday - Specialises in sailing activities with dinghy and keelboats plus races and coursesSights nearby - Harmony Hall restaurant and art gallery (open seasonally) and Half Moon Bay beach.Sailing - Hotel has extensive fleet of sail boats and offers lessons from beginners to proRecommended by - Fodors
Contemporary beachfront hotel. Bedrooms have large French windows, wooden floors and ipod docks. All come with fully equipped kitchens and spacious living areas. Outdoor pool, private beach and spa. Great fresh international cuisine. Plethora of watersports available. Ideal for families. See More
Blue Waters Antigua 67 rooms from £307Families - Suites have plenty of space for the whole family, and cottages with kitchens are perfect for preparing pre-beach picnicsGreat walks - 1.5km route through the groundsSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - Fodors
Keyonna Beach Resort Antigua 20 rooms from £429Romantic Break - Designed for getting away from it all - namely the kids!Honeymoons - Couples only resort popular amongst honeymoonersAdult Only - Does not accept children.All inclusive - The price quote is for two people on an all inclusive basis
Set on Turners Beach close to the amazing blue waters of Valley Church Bay. Rustic beach cabins are a perfect couples hideaway. With no children permitted - the entire property lends itself to just that! There is a spa, all inclusive dining, outdoor pool (some cottages have their own). Charming. See More
The Verandah Resort & Spa Antigua 200 rooms from £460Active Holiday - Plethora of watersports available, as well as interesting boat trips with local marine expertsFamilies - Superb kids club, children's pool, tennis and family size suites with mini kitchensGreat walks - Hiking trails in the 30 acre groundsSights nearby - Devil’s BridgeRecommended by - Fodors
Family friendly all-inclusive hotel on the beach. Rooms have vaulted ceilings, bamboo furniture and big balconies. Outdoor pools, spa, tennis courts and vast gardens. Fantastic Caribbean cuisine in the choice of restaurants. Ideal for families and water-sport adventurers. See More
The Inn at English Harbour English Harbour 28 rooms from £461Romantic Break - Private terrace to take in the view of boats into the harbour, old fashioned style service and romantic ambienceSights nearby - A stone's throw from Nelson's Dockyard and Shirley HeightsRestrictions on children - Children over ten welcomeViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Frommers, Fodors, Mr & Mrs Smith, Small Luxury Hotels, Kiwi Collection
Galley Bay Antigua 98 rooms from £468Romantic Break - Enjoy the lagoon, private plunge pools, excellent spa and sounds of the surf from your elegant roomAll inclusive - Price quoted is per room per night on an all inclusive basisGreat walks - Three-quarter mile long beachfrontRestrictions on children - No children pleaseRecommended by - Fodors
Carlisle Bay St Mary's, Antigua 82 rooms from £496Families - Clubs for both younger children and teenagers, cinema room, fishing trips and bicycle tours of the islandHoneymoons - Immersive spa, private boat charters, fine dining and indulgent interiors - what more could you wantDiving - A top spot for diving with manta rays and sea turtles - you can even get ceritifiedFishing - Deep sea fishing for marlin, king fish, wahoo and barracudaRecommended by - Fodors, Tablet, Kiwi Collection
Sublime beach resort close to English harbour. Rooms and suites feature silk furnishings, contemporary colours, hammocks and large bathrooms. Outdoor pool, direct beach access, spa, yoga space and tennis courts. Superb fresh cuisine in choice of restaurants; chilled bar areas. Effortless indulgence. See More
Curtain Bluff Antigua 72 rooms from £574Watersports - All watersports including waterskiing and scuba diving are included in the price!Hideaway - Relatively secluded location, access to quiet white beaches and waterfront spaAll inclusive - Price quoted includes all meals & drinks (unless you decide to upgrade your wine choices) plus watersports, tennis & much more!Fishing - Deep sea fishing excursions (included in the room rate)Recommended by - Fodors
Secluded, family friendly, luxury all inclusive beach resort with Caribbean and Atlantic facing beaches. Spacious rooms & suites feature private terraces with sea views and big marble bathrooms. Outstanding facilities for tennis and watersports. Fantastic food. Peaceful, stunning and chic. See More
Hammock Cove Willikies, Antigua 42 rooms from £859Beach Life - Set on the waterfront on Antigua, steps from the verdant national park, book this hotel for a beautiful beach breakRomantic Break - With discreet, boutique guest villas, oceanfront dining and lots of romantic activitiesGreat walks - Take a guided nature walk to Devil’s Bridge and learn about the local flora and fauna from a hotel expertRomantic - Good for couples.
This chic, five-star resort is located on Antigua’s northeast coast, next to Devil’s Bridge National Park. Beautifully appointed villas have vaulted ceilings, local hardwood furnishings and sea views from infinity-edge plunge pools. Complete with its own private beach, this is an exclusive stay. See More
Hermitage Bay St Johns, Antigua 30 rooms from £976Honeymoons - Hermitage Bay is the perfect destination for a luxury honeymoon with stunning accommodation and service to match.Foodies - Caribbean cookery lessons and farm tour to see where the fresh produce is sourced on the islandTotal relaxation - Infinity pool, 16 acres of lush gardens, white beaches and sailing trips5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Superlative all inclusive beachside resort in lush gardens. Huge suites feature darkwood floors, shuttered windows, outdoor rain showers and day beds. Infinity pool, sandy beach, spa and gym. Excellent Caribbean and European cuisine, laid-back bar. Ideal for a sophisticated, relaxed beach holiday. See More
Jumby Bay Island St Johns, Antigua from £1756Families - Wide variety of activities for children, as well kid's club for snorkelling, learning about turtles and children's spaAll inclusive - Price quoted is per room and includes all meals, premium alchols, non motorized water sports and much moreTotal relaxation - An island resort, meaning miles of beaches for your enjoyment, watersports, excellent spa and tennisSights nearby - Monserrat volcano tourRecommended by - Fodors
Perhaps one of the most exclusive places to stay in the world, this small island off the north coast of Antigua hosts the rich and famous who come to unwind on the sandy beaches and lounge in the lavish villas. Superb fresh Antiguan cuisine; chic bar. Gorgeous, luxurious and family friendly. See More