British Virgin Islands
Search the best hotels in British Virgin Islands
About British Virgin Islands
A longtime favourite of sailors and seafarers, the British Virgin Islands are a collection of exceptionally beautiful isles on either side of the Sir Francis Drake Channel. With verdant interiors, dazzling beaches and heaps for water-sports enthusiasts to enjoy, the BVI is a fantastic Caribbean destination. There is a wide selection of accommodation on both the larger islands and on small, private islets, catering to a whole host of tastes and budgets. Almost all the best places to stay in the British Virgin Islands are right on the beach, ensuring that you’re perfectly poised to make the most of the clear waters and pristine sands.
The largest of the islands, Tortola, is home to just over 20,000 inhabitants, and is a brilliant choice for sailors — there are some charming hotels with marinas here — as well as active families or couples. Tortola’s capital, Road Town, is a sailing hotspot. If you are on the island, don’t miss touring the 400-year-old Callwood Distillery and picking up bottle of rum or two!
Smaller and even less developed, Virgin Gorda is a superb pick for a laid-back Caribbean escape. Friendly beach bars are tucked into isolated coves, there are leafy National Parks to discover, and some lovely spots for sailors to moor up and unwind. The island’s biggest attractions are The Baths — giant granite rock formations — and Virgin Gorda Peak, which promises spectacular views.
Beyond the big hitters are a plethora of even more tranquil islands, including quirky Anegada, brilliant for divers and nature lovers, as well as tiny Jost Van Dyke, site of superb White Bay, a half-mile stretch of inviting sands and waters teeming with marine life. The proximity of some islands to others means that you can dot between them on sailing trips, day-long cruises or by ferry, exploring as much of this gorgeous region as you like.
The BVI also boasts some epic private island resorts — these are undoubtedly the top spots for honeymooners or travellers in search of absolute indulgence! The best places to stay in the British Virgin Islands fill up fast, so book your trip well in advance to avoid missing out.
The Best Places to Stay in the British Virgin Islands
- Peter Island is a 1,800-acre paradise close to Tortola. Reserve a beachfront suite, book a 3-bedroom villa or take over the whole island for the ultimate wedding party. Boasting a marina, a legendary spa, stacks of activities and bright contemporary decor, this is one of the best places to stay in the BVI for absolute indulgence. The lush natural interior and marine life will be especially appealing to outdoorsy explorers.
- Rosewood Little Dix Bay is a gorgeous resort tucked amidst palm trees on a hillside overlooking a striking half-mile stretch of brilliant beach in Virgin Gorda. Come for the superb spa, vast array of watersports, lively kids club and wonderfully secluded location. Among the top resorts in the region for couples or families.
- Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina promises a five-star stay close to Tortola. Pick this private island for the fabulous spa, wide array of activities and onsite marina — great for sailors looking to moor up. There's a range of suites and villas with space for couples, groups or families in up to six bedrooms. Try diving or sailing before a tranquil beach picnic. Perfect for active travellers and families.
- Guana Island is an exclusive private island retreat, with just 18 exquisite rooms and villas. There are 850 acres to discover, seven beaches, a glorious spa, a plethora of water-sports (including snorkelling in a protected fisheries area), and delicious dining. A secluded escape for just 35 guests, the resort was founded in 1934 and is a real BVI icon. Very romantic.
- Guavaberry Spring Bay is a comfortable collection of self-catering villas with up to five bedrooms. Great for groups or families, the villas boast full kitchens, large verandahs, ocean views and an idyllic location close to Virgin Gorda's The Baths. The barbecues are a lovely touch. A well-priced pick for big family trips!
- Mango Bay Resort is a brilliant beachfront choice for groups or families in Virgin Gorda. Book an individual room or a whole contemporary villa for a larger group, and enjoy access to a beautiful beach, as well as everything from sailing to snorkelling. There are nature hikes and off-road drives for adventurous visitors, too. A fun, flexible base for the whole family.
- Fort Recovery offers a collection of relaxed one to three-bedroom villas on Tortola. Built around a 17th-centuy Dutch fort, the villas feature colourful decor and large kitchens, well-suited to families. There are lush gardens to explore, as well as snorkelling, boat excursions, yoga and more. Families will love the peaceful setting, too.
- Sugar Mill offers 24 boutique rooms on a 400-year-old former sugar plantation in Tortola. Charming and laid-back, this is a top spot for beachgoers, water-sports enthusiasts and foodies, who can feast on excellent dishes at the romantic restaurant and lively beach bars. Ideal for couples.
- Long Bay Beach Club is a seriously cool, contemporary spot for couples or groups of friends looking to unwind in style on Tortola. Think elegant rooms built using natural materials and a soothing cream palette, a fun beach bar, coffee shop and chic restaurant housed in an 18th-century sugar mill, and heaps of sea-focused activities. Very hip and grown-up.
- Bitter End Yacht Club promises a magical waterfront escape for sailors and seafarers on Virgin Gorda. Colonial-style cottages offer striking sea views and direct access to the marina, where you can moor up, take sailing lessons, go fishing or try a whole host of water-sports. A laid-back classic.
- Leverick Bay Resort, on Virgin Gorda, is a colourful, family-friendly spot perfect for the sailing crowd. The 14 hillside rooms and suites are bright, with tropical prints and rattan furnishings, as well as being very affordable. Kick back at the lively restaurant, spa and beach bar after big days out on the water. There are mooring facilities in the marina too.
For an eco-hideaway
- Cooper Island Beach Club is an intimate, off-grid hideaway on Cooper Island, within easy reach of Tortola. Great for sustainably-minded couples or families, the property prides itself on being self-sufficient in producing power and water, as well as using recycled wood to create contemporary furnishings. Great for divers and sailors, this little beach pad boasts superb views and locally-sourced Caribbean fare.
For An Apartment or Villa
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Terrence B. Lettsome International Airport on Tortola, or to Virgin Gorda Airport via a larger Caribbean hub, such as St Maarten or Puerto Rico. There are ferries connecting the islands of the BVI, making it easier to hop from one to another.
- If you're staying on one of the larger islands, you'll find lots to explore by road. Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- With balmy temperatures averaging at around 26 - 30°C throughout the year, the BVI is a gorgeous tropical destination. Book well in advance if travelling during peak season (December to April), and avoid the hurricane season (June to November) if you can. May is a great choice for hotel deals and quieter beaches!
Still not sure?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Virgin Gorda.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the Caribbean.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in British Virgin Islands
Best Hotels in British Virgin Islands
Leverick Bay Resort Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands 8 rooms from £125Exclusive offer - Quote The Hotel Guru when bookingFamilies - Suites have large kitchens/living rooms for family dining, plenty of child friendly activities and hotel entertainmentSailing - Seafarers are always welcome at Leverick Bay Resort & Marina. Hotel offers a full service dockLocal markets - Nautical Gallery in hotel - hand crafted jewelry, art and gifts in the CaribbeanTennis - Two courts in the groundsRecommended by - Fodors
Family friendly hotel with marina. Colourful rooms have rattan furniture, large bathrooms and balconies. Outdoor pool, tennis courts, mooring facilities and spa treatments. Superb and lively restaurant serving international cuisine. Laid back, jolly and ideal for sailing fans. See More
Guavaberry Spring Bay Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands 12 rooms from £125Hideaway - With kitchens and living rooms to whip up your own meals, a very secluded spot with white sandy beaches on your doorstepSights nearby - To the south lie the fabled "Baths", a spectacular phenomenon of tranquil pools and caves formed by gigantic bouldersViews - Some villas have wonderful view across the Caribbean to other small islandsGreat walks - Along Spring BayRecommended by - Fodors, Frommers
Charming self-catering villas set amid spectacular gardens. Spacious suites have full kitchens, beamed ceilings and large verandahs. Lush gardens with massive rocks & bougainvillea galore, and direct beach access. Peaceful, relaxed and perfect for independent travellers. Excellent value too. See More
Mango Bay Resort, British Virgin Islands Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands 26 rooms from £152Beach Life - Secluded bay, large hidden verandahs, full kitchens to take it at your own pace, watersports close bySwimming Pool - Only with larger private villasTennis - Courts a short drive awaySights nearby - The BathsRecommended by - Fodors, Frommers
Six elegant villas on an idyllic beach, divided into smaller units, offering flexible accommodation. Contemporary decor with Italian furniture and there are large outdoor terraces for lounging or dining. All units have BBQs and outdoor showers. Direct access to an unbeatable beach. See More
Cooper Island Beach Club Cooper Island, British Virgin Islands 9 rooms from £164Beach Life - Sailing trips from the dock (in front of the restaurant), white sand beach, laid-back atmosphereSailing - Cooper Island’s Manchioneel Bay features on many sailing itinerariesFishing - Deep sea fishing trips can be arrangedDiving - 60 dive sites to choose fromRecommended by - Fodors
Long Bay Beach Club Tortola, British Virgin Islands 40 rooms from £176Beach Life - Set on one of the island's most sought after beaches, stroll down from your ocean view room straight onto the powder white sandsRestaurant - Beachside restaurant, beach bar and a coffee shopFishing - Fishing excursions are organised by the propertySailing - Can be booked nearby.
Having undergone a complete renovation, this is now a chic boutique hotel located on the island's best beach. Spacious rooms are all white-on-white with natural decor giving a modern feel. With a Caribbean restaurant, yoga & meditation, and a beachside bar - everything has been thought of here. See More
Anegada Beach Club British Virgin Islands 23 rooms from £176Beach Life - Idyllic location on the water makes for the perfect beach retreat experience; there's sand, sea & sky in every directionHoneymoons - The ultimate glamping honeymoon destination; live out barefoot luxury beachfront fantasiesRestaurant - Open-air poolside restaurant is ideal for relaxed all day dining; enjoy freshly caught lobster with your toes in the sandSecluded setting - Feels like you're perfect at the end of the earth surrounded by endless sea, secluded private beaches & nature reserve
Situated on a magnificent stretch of sand on Anegada Island, this shabby chic yet deluxe retreat offers a stunning secluded beach getaway for couples & families with a pool, al fresco dining & watersports. Multi-room retreats close to the shore are fantastic. Delivers fab beach glamping vibes. See More
Fort Recovery Tortola, British Virgin Islands 30 rooms from £191Families - Villas have full kitchens, large living and dining rooms. Minutes from watersports for adults and beach for little onesRestaurant - Breakfast and dinner onlySwimming Pool - Freshwater outdoor poolSailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - Frommers, Fodors
Sugar Mill Tortola, British Virgin Islands 19 rooms from £207Families - Rooms have kitchens and plenty of living space for all; child friendly activities and menusLocal markets - One-of-a-kind antiques, silk-screened fabrics, intricate ship models, and watercolours by Tortolan artistsDiving - Hundreds of ship wrecks, caves and coves teeming with tropical fishRestaurant - Daily changing menu with particular emphasis on local seafood.Recommended by - Fodors, Frommers
Peter Island Peter Island, British Virgin Islands 55 rooms from £312Beach Life - Five secluded beachesHoneymoonsSpa - Includes 10 indoor treatment rooms, two outdoor bohios, couples suites, a beach-side Jacuzzi and a tranquility garden.Restaurant - Tradewinds restaurant, beach bar & grill and private dining beach
For top class peace and quiet and a perfect beach, this private Island in the Virgin Islands is probably unbeatable. Ocean view rooms, suites and villas are stylishly decorated and have stunning seaviews. Loads of on island activities and sumptuous spa. Perfect barefoot luxury. See More
Scrub Island Scrub Island, British Virgin Islands 58 rooms from £340Romantic Break - Nearby Honeymoon beach is accessible only by kayak for complete privacy; spa and private dive lessonsClose to nightlife - Visit lively bars on Marina Cay or Beef Island (also full moon parties)Fishing - Closest marina to the North Drop, the hot spot for world-record Blue MarlinSights nearby - Explore the Bomba Shack; visit the first Dutch settlements.Recommended by - Fodors
Saba Rock Resort British Virgin Islands 9 rooms from £429Local exploring - Fab location for exploring the wider area; head to The Baths on Virgin Gorda or nearby popular rock formationsHouse party feel - People come for lunch and stay all day due to the infamous happy hour. The place for party loversRestaurant - Open-air sea-facing wrap-around restaurant is perpetually popular. Tuck into freshly-caught seafood & signature cocktailsSailing - The property's dock makes this a natural spot for sailers in the area to stop & have a good time
Compact private island resort with a small beach just off the mainland. Mixing Caribbean-style decor — wood decking, rattan and ceiling fans — with sleek contemporary rooms. A renowned party hot spot with restaurant and bars that remain busy throughout the day. Ideal for cool, happening holidays. See More
Oil Nut Bay Virgin Gorda 88 rooms from £468Private villas - Offering some of the most exclusive villas in the BVIs; think elevated pools, sky-facing terraces & every contemporary mod conTotal relaxation - Although there is much to do, this is also a great place to simply sit back & relax in idyllic settingsFamilies - The ultimate multi-generational spot with Kids Club, vast multi-room villas & activities for all agesBeach Life - The private beach delivers on Caribbean fantasies; expect crystal clear water & perfect white sand
Mega-exclusive 300-acre beach resort on Virgin Gorda's eastern tip. Immense villas & contemporary chic suites are set amongst verdant grounds with incredible sea views; almost all have private pools. Luxe touches include Fendi Casa decor, personal butlers & private chefs. Perfect for all the family. See More
Scrub Island Resort British Virgin Islands 52 rooms from £500Beach Life - The island's two beaches offer a perfect balance; head to Donovan's for adventure while North Beach offers secluded experienceViews - Dream views of turquoise sea, blue sky & white sand beaches stretch in every direction; vistas from hillside villas are insaneHoneymoons - Spoiling couple's spa treatments, romantic dinners, private hillside villas & sunset views makes this a couple's paradiseFamilies - Two - six bedroom villas & amazing resort activities are ideal for the entire family - old & young
Super-luxe private island resort near the capital. Offering a range of perfect beaches, pools, water-based activities & dining options, this works equally well for family fun & honeymoons to remember. Decor ranges from modern design in multi-room villas to classic island chic. A true crowd pleaser. See More
Guana Island British Virgin Islands 18 rooms from £542Hideaway - Totally secluded island resort, with excellent spa, white sand beaches and plenty of space to relaxGreat walks - Endless trail routes through the island's 850 acresTennis - Two courts in the gardensViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Frommers, Fodors
Rosewood Little Dix Bay Virgin Gorda 80 rooms from £656Active Holiday - Endless activites from sailing and fishing to yoga and tennis, there is something at this resort for everyoneFamilies - Extensive and excellent kids club for both younger and teenage children; large family suitesRomantic Break - Palm-lined beach, outstanding spa, romantic beachfront dinner and gorgeous gardensBeach Life - Lounge on the resort's exclusive pristine beachRecommended by - Fodors
A luxury resort set within the palm trees of Virgin Gorda. Chic rooms with earthy colour palettes, outdoor showers and balconies. Enjoy the pool, half a mile of pristine white beach, Rosewood Spa and a water-sports centre. Fantastic range of cuisine from farm-to-table to local Caribbean fare. See More