Search the best hotels in Guadeloupe
Guadeloupe has a lot more to offer than perfect beaches and sunshine, and so do the best places to stay in Guadeloupe. We can recommend idyllic beach resorts with all the trimmings of Caribbean luxury, relaxing beachside bungalows close to some of the region’s best diving and snorkelling sites, and we even know a great hotel on Basse Terre, which is Guadeloupe’s jungle island, with its own active volcano and awe-inspiring waterfalls.
As well as being rich in scenery and natural assets, Guadeloupe has plenty to offer if you’re looking for an island destination with a thriving local culture that goes beyond the tourist attractions. Part of the French Antilles, Guadeloupe is quite French, but also extremely Caribbean, which makes for a wonderfully rich and exotic cuisine and an extremely full social calendar of fetes, carnivals, saint’s days and arts festivals. And the best places to stay in Guadeloupe reflect this too. Don’t forget to see what they’re celebrating over the dates you’re considering.
Where to Stay
Guadeloupe has nine inhabited islands: Grand Terre and Basse Terre, which are joined together like the wings of a butterfly by a couple of bridges and a mangrove swamp, Marie Galante, La Desirade, Iles des Saintes, Saint-Barthelemy, Iles de la Petite Terre and Saint Martin — which is the French half of Sint Maarten.
- Sainte-Anne on Grande Terre is a charming fishing village, along a beautiful stretch of coast with some of Guadeloupe’s best beaches — Caravel, Bois Jolan and Saint-Anne beaches are all gorgeous. But it’s not as small as it sounds when called a fishing village: it’s probably more realistic to say it was a fishing village but it is now where you’ll find some of Guadeloupe’s most beautiful hotels and resorts. The up-side of this is that it’s vibrant, with a lively bar and restaurant scene that’s open late most nights, plus a fun beach market, an ‘artisans village’ and Thursday night market.
- Le Moule, Grande Terre, is charming too, and a bit quieter, it also has an excellent ethnological and archaeological museum, a rum distillery, lots of spectacular cliff walks and a shopping mall that’s open between Monday and Saturday — which is uncommon in Guadeloupe.
- Gosier on Grande Terre has some of Guadeloupe’s best nightlife;
- and Pointe-a-Pitre is the economical capital, so the most bustling and least touristy centre on Grande Terre.
- Baie-Mahault on Basse Terre is another busy commercial centre, but this is a good place to stay if you’re interested in visiting the spectacular jungles of Basse Terre with their waterfalls and occasional surprise rum distillery.
Don't forget that the Caribbean islands get very busy during the peak holiday seasons. So if you want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in Guadeloupe over the Christmas or New Year period, you'll need to get organised and book well ahead.
The Best Places to Stay in Guadeloupe
- La Toubana is a five-star boutique hotel hotel in a charming fishing village, right on the beach along a really stunning stretch of Caribbean coast. You’d be hard pressed to find a more idyllic spot. There are 53 rooms, suites and private bungalows — which are discreet and indulgent, with wonderful sea views. As well as the beach there’s a beautiful pool.
- Jardin Malanga is a collection of nine rooms and suites spread between an old colonial mansion and three adjacent cottages. Families could easily fit into the triple rooms or children’s rooms. The interiors are simple and traditional and there’s a fantastic infinity pool with views over the archipelago. There’s also a beach close by and a fantastic terrace restaurant.
For great value
- The adults-only Shambala Lodge in Le Moule near the town of Portland, has just five guest bungalows, which are designed to blur the lines between the idyllic outside and the comfortable inside. Their big sliding glass doors lead out onto a tropical garden, and the kitchens and living rooms benefit from the views. There’s also a great pool.
For an Apartment or Private Villa
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend you visit our online partner, booking.com.
- Guadeloupe International Airport is in Pointe-a-Pitre, and is often called Pointe-a-Pitre International Airport. Flights arrive from JFK, Miami Airport and Paris.
- If you’re thinking about hiring a car we recommend checking what our online partners, Rentalcars have to offer.
- The most popular time to visit Guadeloupe is between November and May, when the weather is drier and less humid, but it's also very popular during the European summer, especially with French families. The worst time, weather-wise, to visit is during September and October, which are statistically the hottest, stormiest months. Hurricane seasons runs from June to November.
Still not sure?
- You might like to consider one of the other French Antilles? The best places to stay in St Barts might be of interest?
- or the best places to stay in St Martin? Or on Dutch Sint Maarten?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in the Caribbean?
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Guadeloupe
Best Hotels in Guadeloupe
Carre Royal Deshaies, Guadeloupe 4 rooms from £115Total relaxation - Spend idyllic days at the beach or enjoying sea views from the pool. The propery has a fab laid-back vibeBeach Life - Lovely little Fort Royal beach is 3 mins walk from the propertyGreat walks - Hikers will enjoy a day out in Guadeloupe National Park. Stunning tropical scenery includes dramatic waterfalls and lush jungleSights nearby - Situated in a small residential area, it's a 10 min drive into Deshaies, known for its historic buildings and botanic garden
Colonial-style guesthouse with sea views minutes from the beach. Nestled amongst lush gardens with a pool; rooms with four-poster beds & mosquito nets are spread over the main house and rustic bungalows; some come with kitchenettes and water-facing terraces. Boho base for a tranquil beach break. See More
Shambala Lodge Le Moule, Guadeloupe 5 rooms from £123Total relaxation - The self-contained bungalows at this lodge offer all you need for a comfortable beach break; book a massage for total relaxationLocal exploring - Set within easy reach of the beach and the quaint town of Portland, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploringRomantic Break - With a stylish and grown-up feel, this adults-only lodge scores highly with couplesKayaking - Take a kayaking trip on hotel boats for an adventure-filled excursion; book with your room reservation for great deals
This chic holiday lodge is located in Le Moule, Guadeloupe. Guest bungalows blur the lines between inside and outside space with sliding doors leading onto the garden. Interiors are stylish with cosy soft furnishings, a kitchen and living room. Relax by the pool before a massage; a charming lodge. See More
Hotel Amaudo Saint-Francois, Guadeloupe 10 rooms from £163Views - Located on quiet and unspoilt stretch of coastline, views of palms and Caribbean sea are instantly calmingTotal relaxation - Great choice for those who don't plan on doing much and are after lazy days filled with sun, sea and sandSwimming Pool - Large sea-view infinity pool serves as the main swimming pool, but there's also a smaller one for Prestige RoomsGreat walks - Climb La Grande Soufrière, a volcanic peak known for its vistas
Charming B&B resort with colonial-style architecture and uninterrupted sea views. Contemporary and spacious rooms with plantation shutters, teak furnishings and private balconies look out over sea-facing infinity pools and palm-fringed grounds. Use as a base to explore or fab for fly'n'flop breaks. See More
Domaine Saint Francois Saint-Francois, Guadeloupe 8 rooms from £164Weddings - Book out the entire property for a small wedding or multigenerational group holiday; it sleeps max 40 peopleFamilies - Two-bedroom Bungalows are ideal for families with young children; the second bedroom comes with bunk bedsTotal relaxation - Chilled base for relaxing, visiting local beaches and exploring the islandSwimming Pool - Very appealing shared pool and wooden sun deck is lined with tall palms, giving it a super tropical feel
Tropical estate with Balinese-style bungalows and apartments in Saint-François. Lush gardens surround one and two-bedroom self-catered units with a Swiss Family Robinson feel; think wood, thatch and hammocks. Sleek pool and ethnic decor gives an on-trend feel. Laid-back base for couples or families. See More
Jardin Malanga Trois Rivieres, Guadeloupe 9 rooms from £244Families - With triple rooms and children's rooms it is ideal for families and the island offers a multitude of activites on land and seaHotel Entertainment - Enjoy a refreshing dip in the pool, designed so it appears to fall right into the sea on the horizonOther Activities - Head down to the beach and spend the day lounging on the shores and cooling off in the waterGreat walks - Whether you choose jungle or beach there are plenty of stunning walks to be enjoyedRecommended by - Tablet
Three cottages have been added to a colonial mansion to form this intimate retreat on Guadeloupe. The interiors are simple and traditional and the infinity pool offers views over the Saintes Archipelago. Enjoy excellent food al fresco. A friendly and welcoming resort surrounded by lush vegetation. See More
Le Relais du Moulin Saint-Anne, Guadeloupe 60 rooms from £217Romantic Break - Couple-focused rooms, private hot tubs and dinner under the stars ensure a smooth stay with your special someoneTotal relaxation - Walk to the beach, indulge with a spa treatment or simply relax by the pool before an alfresco dinnerRestaurant - Le Zamana restaurant serves breakfast and dinner beside the pool. PThe Pool Bar offers Creole snacks throughout the daySpa - Small but luxurious spa offers high-end products and indulging massages, beauty services and treatments
Polished resort situated around a historic windmill just a stroll to the beach. Fresh bungalows and mezzanine suites with colonial influences are located amidst manicured tropical gardens. Creole outdoor restaurant, bar, pool & spa tick all boxes. Luxurious property offering a five-star experience. See More
La Toubana Sainte-Anne, Guadeloupe 53 rooms from £226Romantic Break - Couples love the seafront location of this boutique beach hotel; book a discreet private bungalow for added indulgenceLocal exploring - Located in the quaint fishing village of Sainte-Anne, this hotel is a great base for local exploring in GuadeloupeBeach Life - Set on a beautiful stretch of the French Caribbean coast, this hotel is perfect for a luxury beach holidayLocal markets - Visit the Artisanal Village close to the hotel for unique, handcrafted souvenirs made by local artisans
This five-star boutique hotel is located in the charming fishing village of Sainte-Anne in Guadeloupe. The bright suites feature Caribbean-style décor, a soaking tub and terrace; book a self-contained bungalow for a kitchen and living room with sea views. Unwind by the hotel pool; a chic beach stay. See More