Search the best hotels in Guadeloupe
Part of the French Antilles, Guadeloupe is a fascinating Caribbean archipelago with a rich culture, delicious food and striking landscapes — including lush jungles, sandy beaches and an active volcano. Accommodation options are wide-ranging, with everything from rustic B&Bs to romantic luxury hotels fit for a whole host of tastes and budgets. Whilst this Caribbean gem is made up of more than a dozen islands, most of the best places to stay in Guadeloupe are on Grand Terre and Basse Terre, connected like a butterfly’s delicate wings.
Many visitors choose to stay in verdant Grand Terre, home to Guadeloupe’s international airport. Bustling Pointe-à-Pitre, Guadeloupe’s economic capital, sits nearby and is a wonderful place to catch a glimpse of local life.
Once a charming fishing village and now a trendy holiday spot, Sainte-Anne is a great Grand Terre choice for families or sociable travellers. The beautiful beaches of Caravelle, Bois Jolan and Saint-Anne are within easy reach, and there are water sports aplenty. Expect a lively bar and restaurant scene, fun markets, and a collection of idyllic hotels and resorts. Neighbouring Saint-François is also a firm favourite. Tranquil Le Moule is more laid-back, with the excellent Edgar Clerc Archaeological Museum, a rum distillery and lots of spectacular cliff walks.
Adventurers should make for Basse Terre, Guadeloupe’s wilder jungle island. This is the place to go for zip-lining, forest hikes, waterfall swims and the chance to get close to fascinating La Soufrière, an active volcano set within the Parc National de la Guadeloupe. There are some superb rum distilleries in the area, too. Families will adore the Maison du Cacao, the Zoo de Guadeloupe, Deshaies’ Botanical Gardens and the golden stretch of Grand Anse beach.
Boat trips to the islands of Les Saintes and Petite Terre are spectacular, and there’s world-class diving and snorkelling in the waters of the archipelago. This part of the French Caribbean is also famed for its festivals — the best places to stay in Guadeloupe fill up fast during carnivals, saint’s days and arts celebrations, so book your trip well in advance to avoid missing out!
The Best Places to Stay in Guadeloupe
For a B&B
- Shambala Lodge has five airy guest bungalows with well-equipped kitchens and big terraces overlooking tropical gardens. There's a great swimming pool, good breakfasts and a wonderful wellness focus. Think yoga, massage and meditation onsite. A tranquil, adults-only B&B retreat.
- Carré Royal is a laid-back guesthouse, just a few minutes' walk from pretty Fort Royal beach. A low-key property run by a friendly couple, this intimate B&B features rooms and studios set within the main house and rustic bungalows — some of which have kitchens and private terraces. There's also a swimming pool. Small, simple and welcoming.
- Hotel Amaudo offers spacious guestrooms in lovely, colonial-era buildings close to Saint-François. Expect sea views from your balcony, a big infinity pool, generous breakfasts and an appealing nearby beach. For couples or families.
- Jardin Malanga consists of a heritage house — built in 1927 — and three cottages, at the foot of La Soufrière volcano. Triple rooms and family suites are ideal for those travelling with little ones, who will also adore the infinity pool and tropical gardens. One for nature lovers, this property has a rustic feel and access to heaps of outdoor activities, including scenic hikes. The chef's table is fabulous.
- Domaine Saint François has eight bungalows and two apartments in pretty Saint-François, within easy reach of some of Grand Terre's most impressive lagoons. The property abounds with fruit trees, there's a big swimming pool, and multi-room options are ideal for families. Bungalows come with their own BBQ areas so that you can cook up a Caribbean feast of your own!
- La Toubana Hotel & Spa is an indulgent boutique hotel set right on the coast in superb Sainte-Anne. Hide away in a luxurious suite or private bungalow with glorious sea views. Spend your days at the beach, in the sea, at the soothing spa or unwinding by the infinity pool. The food and cocktails are terrific. A romantic escape — and a very special honeymoon choice.
- Le Relais du Moulin promises an elegant stay in one of 20 suites and 40 bungalows, tucked amidst lush gardens dominated by a historic windmill. Close to Sainte-Anne and Saint-François, this adult-only idyll offers gourmet dining and a restorative spa, as well as an art gallery and well-stocked library for culture aficionados. A chic base for couples.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly into Guadeloupe International Airport, often known as 'Pointe-à-Pitre Airport'. Travel to your destination by bus or taxi, or speak to your hotel to arrange an airport pick up in advance.
- You'll find lots to explore by road! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Balmy temperatures average between 25 - 28°C throughout the year, with the peak season lasting from November to mid-April. Be prepared for showers if you visit during the rainy hurricane season (June to November), although European summers are still a popular time for families to visit. To beat the crowds and make the most of great deals, time your trip for May or June.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Antigua.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the Caribbean.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Guadeloupe
Best Hotels in Guadeloupe
Carre Royal Deshaies, Guadeloupe 4 rooms from £115Total relaxation - Spend idyllic days at the beach or enjoying sea views from the pool. The propery has a fab laid-back vibeBeach Life - Lovely little Fort Royal beach is 3 mins walk from the propertyGreat walks - Hikers will enjoy a day out in Guadeloupe National Park. Stunning tropical scenery includes dramatic waterfalls and lush jungleSights nearby - Situated in a small residential area, it's a 10 min drive into Deshaies, known for its historic buildings and botanic garden
Colonial-style guesthouse with sea views minutes from the beach. Nestled amongst lush gardens with a pool; rooms with four-poster beds & mosquito nets are spread over the main house and rustic bungalows; some come with kitchenettes and water-facing terraces. Boho base for a tranquil beach break. See More
Shambala Lodge Le Moule, Guadeloupe 5 rooms from £123Total relaxation - The self-contained bungalows at this lodge offer all you need for a comfortable beach break; book a massage for total relaxationLocal exploring - Set within easy reach of the beach and the quaint town of Portland, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploringRomantic Break - With a stylish and grown-up feel, this adults-only lodge scores highly with couplesKayaking - Take a kayaking trip on hotel boats for an adventure-filled excursion; book with your room reservation for great deals
This chic holiday lodge is located in Le Moule, Guadeloupe. Guest bungalows blur the lines between inside and outside space with sliding doors leading onto the garden. Interiors are stylish with cosy soft furnishings, a kitchen and living room. Relax by the pool before a massage; a charming lodge. See More
Hotel Amaudo Saint-Francois, Guadeloupe 10 rooms from £163Views - Located on quiet and unspoilt stretch of coastline, views of palms and Caribbean sea are instantly calmingTotal relaxation - Great choice for those who don't plan on doing much and are after lazy days filled with sun, sea and sandSwimming Pool - Large sea-view infinity pool serves as the main swimming pool, but there's also a smaller one for Prestige RoomsGreat walks - Climb La Grande Soufrière, a volcanic peak known for its vistas
Charming B&B resort with colonial-style architecture and uninterrupted sea views. Contemporary and spacious rooms with plantation shutters, teak furnishings and private balconies look out over sea-facing infinity pools and palm-fringed grounds. Use as a base to explore or fab for fly'n'flop breaks. See More
Domaine Saint Francois Saint-Francois, Guadeloupe 8 rooms from £164Weddings - Book out the entire property for a small wedding or multigenerational group holiday; it sleeps max 40 peopleFamilies - Two-bedroom Bungalows are ideal for families with young children; the second bedroom comes with bunk bedsTotal relaxation - Chilled base for relaxing, visiting local beaches and exploring the islandSwimming Pool - Very appealing shared pool and wooden sun deck is lined with tall palms, giving it a super tropical feel
Tropical estate with Balinese-style bungalows and apartments in Saint-François. Lush gardens surround one and two-bedroom self-catered units with a Swiss Family Robinson feel; think wood, thatch and hammocks. Sleek pool and ethnic decor gives an on-trend feel. Laid-back base for couples or families. See More
Jardin Malanga Trois Rivieres, Guadeloupe 9 rooms from £244Families - With triple rooms and children's rooms it is ideal for families and the island offers a multitude of activites on land and seaHotel Entertainment - Enjoy a refreshing dip in the pool, designed so it appears to fall right into the sea on the horizonOther Activities - Head down to the beach and spend the day lounging on the shores and cooling off in the waterGreat walks - Whether you choose jungle or beach there are plenty of stunning walks to be enjoyedRecommended by - Tablet
Three cottages have been added to a colonial mansion to form this intimate retreat on Guadeloupe. The interiors are simple and traditional and the infinity pool offers views over the Saintes Archipelago. Enjoy excellent food al fresco. A friendly and welcoming resort surrounded by lush vegetation. See More
Le Relais du Moulin Saint-Anne, Guadeloupe 60 rooms from £217Romantic Break - Couple-focused rooms, private hot tubs and dinner under the stars ensure a smooth stay with your special someoneTotal relaxation - Walk to the beach, indulge with a spa treatment or simply relax by the pool before an alfresco dinnerRestaurant - Le Zamana restaurant serves breakfast and dinner beside the pool. PThe Pool Bar offers Creole snacks throughout the daySpa - Small but luxurious spa offers high-end products and indulging massages, beauty services and treatments
Polished resort situated around a historic windmill just a stroll to the beach. Fresh bungalows and mezzanine suites with colonial influences are located amidst manicured tropical gardens. Creole outdoor restaurant, bar, pool & spa tick all boxes. Luxurious property offering a five-star experience. See More
La Toubana Sainte-Anne, Guadeloupe 53 rooms from £226Romantic Break - Couples love the seafront location of this boutique beach hotel; book a discreet private bungalow for added indulgenceLocal exploring - Located in the quaint fishing village of Sainte-Anne, this hotel is a great base for local exploring in GuadeloupeBeach Life - Set on a beautiful stretch of the French Caribbean coast, this hotel is perfect for a luxury beach holidayLocal markets - Visit the Artisanal Village close to the hotel for unique, handcrafted souvenirs made by local artisans
This five-star boutique hotel is located in the charming fishing village of Sainte-Anne in Guadeloupe. The bright suites feature Caribbean-style décor, a soaking tub and terrace; book a self-contained bungalow for a kitchen and living room with sea views. Unwind by the hotel pool; a chic beach stay. See More