- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Long Island
About Long Island
Long Island is much rockier than its flat, sandy neighbours. As well as spectacular coral reefs, Long Island also has real cliffs towering over the eastern shores. The western side is more your typical Caribbean island perfection, with soft white sandy coves and long stretches of gently curving beach. Perfect for divers, fisher-folk, sailors and anyone who likes their sports wet, the best places to stay in Long Island seem to accommodate all your watery habits.
Eighty miles long, but only four miles across at its widest point, Long Island was given its moniker for being a bit inconvenient to sail around. It sits right on the Tropic of Cancer, with the crash of the Atlantic on one side and the gentle Bahamas Bank on the other - you can guess which side the cliffs face!
What Not To Miss
- Long Island is home to Dean's Blue Hole, the world's deepest blue sinkhole, a wonderful place to go diving and surrounded by cliffs for those brave enough to jump into the water.
- You can also explore Hamilton's Cave, the largest cave system in the Bahamas.
- Or, you could head to Columbus Point and take in the wonderful panoramic views of the island - just be sure to remember your camera!
The best places to stay in Long Island can get very busy during the peak season (November to March), so if you want to guarantee your winter sun, get organised and book early.
The best places to stay on long island
For a rustic escape
- For a proper escape from everything try Chez Pierre with its six rustic style bungalows on stilts, right on a deserted beach. There are huge balconies for relaxing, plus a superb restaurant. Prices start from only £96 per night.
For a beach resort
- Cape Santa Maria is a gorgeous hotel right beside an even more beautiful beach. As well as direct beach access there's a pool, gym and luxurious spa. There's also a fun Bahamian beach bar and good, local cuisine. Romantic, pretty and memorable. This is a great base for an active island break.
For An Apartment Or Villa
- If you think you'd be best served by a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner Booking.com.
- Whilst Long Island is never chilly, the summers are generally rainy (so best avoided) and hurricane season lasts from July to October.
- Peak season, from November to March, is when the weather is at its best. However, it's also the busiest time of year, so if you want to avoid the crowds then consider coming in spring.
- Long Island boasts two airports, Deadman's Cay Airport and Stella Maris Airport, both of which are located in the north of the island.
- There are no direct flights from the UK, however you can fly with British Airways from Heathrow to Nassau before taking the ferry across to Long Island.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Holiday Autos.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay on Long Island.
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in the Bahamas.
- Or feel free to contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Long Island
Cape Santa Maria from $235Long Island, Bahamas
Gorgeous hotel in prime beach location. Interiors have creamy furnishings, tiled floors, rattan and mahogany furniture; villas have modern kitchens and dining areas. Direct beach access, gym, spa treatments. Good Bahamian cuisine and beach bar. Romantic and pretty.Romantic Break - Enormous balconies with sofas to catch the perfect sunset, nature kayak tours, couples massage and in room hot tubsDiving - All scuba diving expeditions at Cape Santa Maria use leading edge equipment, and are led by an experienced dive crewFishing - For a deep sea adventure, fishing excursions are available with experienced, professional guidesSights nearby - Christopher Columbus monumentRecommended by - Fodors
Chez Pierre 6 rooms from $155Long Island, Bahamas
Six rustic bungalows on the beach. Interiors are lovely with wooden floors, big wraparound balconies and tropical print furnishings. Superb restaurant serving fresh seafood and locally sourced produce. Great value; a total hideaway.Beach Life - Bungalows on stilts situated right on the beach, with superb low key restaurant, friendly tours and deserted beachFishing - With local guide Lockley CartwrightDiving - At Rum cay and San SalvadorGreat walks - Along near-deserted beachRecommended by - Fodors