Search the best hotels in St Martin
About St Martin
Half Dutch - Sint Maarten, and half French - Saint Martin, this island's beaches are beautiful all the way around the coastline. The Dutch side has the international airport, cruise ship port and duty free shopping, while the French side is slightly more chic and less frenetic. You can find the best places to stay in St Martin on both sides of the island, it all depends on the kind of Caribbean break you're yearning for.
Where to stay?
- Sint Maarten's capital Philipsburg and Simpson Bay, the main tourist area, are where you'll find the shopping centres - Sint Maarten probably has the best shopping in the Caribbean, plus casinos and tourist-friendly nightlife. There are also a number of excellent restaurants.
- Much of the Dutch side sprouts waterfront resorts and condo communities, but if you're looking for something quieter try the far end of Simpsons Bay Beach, where there are a handful of cool spots.
- Sint Maarten also has the Caribbean's biggest zoo, as well as some charming old Dutch monuments
- It's quite fun to cross the border back and forth - the challenge is in finding it!
- Saint Martin's territory covers the northern two thirds of the island, and the majority of the island's natural treasures. Here you'll find the spectacular bluffs overlooking the ocean, the prettiest secluded coves and the lushest interior.
- Its capital Marigot has the marina and shopping, but if you're staying on the French side you're better off being on the beach. There are scores of good restaurants to choose from on the French side of the island.
What Not To Miss
- The Yoda Guy Movie Exhibit is a fantastic family day out, home to a wide variety of movie relics and props from Star Wars special effects designer Nick Maley. There are also lifecasts of a range of historical figures, so you're bound to love spending a few hours wandering around here.
- If you're looking for some more conventional art then pass through the Roland Richardson Art Gallery or the Tropismes Gallery.
- The Butterfly Farm is a wonderful spot to visit, filled with hundreds of rare and exotic butterflies fluttering around freely! Take a quick tour and learn all about the butterfly's life cycle before relaxing in the garden or enjoying a coffee in the cafe.
- Whilst Saint Martin has plenty of fantastic beaches, we'd recommend in particular the white sands and turquoise waters of Mullet Bay and Maho Beach.
Our selection of the best places to stay in St Martin embraces both French and Dutch areas and ranges from bargain properties in Philipsburg to one of the best hotels in the entire Caribbean.
The best places to stay in St Martin
For a Caribbean beach break
- French Esmeralda is a beachside hotel for those who appreciate a bit of boutique chic, but nothing too fussy. Spacious and whitewashed, most rooms face the ocean or the large central pool. There's a choice of restaurants, including one on the beach and one fine dining option.
- The Bleu Emeraude has just 11 contemporary chic rooms, but they range in size up to two bedroom suites, complete with kitchens, living areas and all the mod. cons. a modern family needs. As well as being close to the beach, guests have incredible views over the bright blue Caribbean to Anguilla.
- The Oyster Bay Beach Resort is beautifully located, right on the border of the French and Dutch sides of the island, and full of Caribbean character. Penthouses have fully equipped kitchens and balconies complete with BBQs. This is a large and lively resort which also has its own nightclub, as well as restaurants and bars.
- La Vista Beach Resort is ideal for families on a budget, boasting one and two bedroom apartments directly on the beach. There's a large swimming pool to boot, plus you're walking distance to a wide range of activities and restaurants.
- The Hotel La Plantation near Saint Martin's Orient Beach is an excellent four star hotel with a good range of suites and two bedroom villas for families to choose from. You're right on the beach, but there's a nice pool too, and plenty of restaurants nearby.
- The Pasanggrahan Hotel is a cheerful, historic looking guesthouse on the opposite side of the island, in the capital, Philipsburg. It's also right on the beach, offering a range of room and suite sizes - three of which have kitchen facilities. It's also very reasonably priced, with rooms from only £61 per night.
- Divi Little Bay Beach resort is a large resort on its own peninsula, boasting private beach access. It's also got three pools, one which is just for kids, as well as three restaurants and a spa.
- Horny Toad offers a collection of self-catering beachside apartments - ideal for families who fancy a bit of privacy. A decent value stay.
- La Samanna, on the French side, is not only one of the best places to stay in St Maarten but probably in the whole of the Caribbean! A luxurious spot, done with great taste and all the mod. cons.. It's got facilities for all and its own private beach.
- Another romantic spot on the French side of the island is L'Esplanade. With just 23 rooms, including several lofts and a two bedroom villa with its own infinity pool, this boutique hotel is romantic, laid-back and beautiful, yet unpretentious.
- The Hotel Marquis is a small and elegant four star boutique hotel with beautiful views and a serene location. There's also a top of the range spa.
For value chic
- Mary's Boon, located on Simpson's Bay, is a great value option which offers more sophistication than you'd expect for the room rate - starting at just £46 per night. It also has direct access to the beach.
- Holland House in lively, central Philipsburg has great facilities and stunning views over the bay. The decor in its 55 rooms is city chic and you're close to the main attractions of Philipsburg.
- The Hevea Hotel is a good value choice on the French side of the island, with just ten large and bright rooms, plus a lovely sun deck. You're just a short walk from the beach, and the room rate starts at as little as £51 per night.
For An Apartment Or Villa
If you've decided that you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Saint Martin is never cool, with the average temperature hovering around 28°C year round. There's never a huge amount of rainfall, though more occurs from August to November so perhaps bring a jacket if you're visiting at this time.
- June to November are also the months when hurricanes and tropical storms are more likely to hit.
- Mid-December to April is peak season, when visitors flee their cooler winter climates in search of some sun and sand. Expect accommodation to be on the pricer side of things and for the place to be fairly busy.
- International visitors can fly into Princesss Juliana Airport, located on the Dutch side of the island. From here, take a taxi or a shuttle bus on towards your final destination.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in St Maarten.
- Alternatively widen your search and check out all our Caribbean recommendations.
- Or, feel free to contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in St Martin
Best Hotels in St Martin
Hevea Hotel Saint Martin, St Martin 10 rooms from £62Value chic - Beautiful contemporary bedrooms at bargain prices.Fishing - Deep sea fishing is an exciting adventure and the migration period of large fish is awaited with much anticipation every year.Sailing - St Maarten is one of the Caribbean’s leading sailing spots.Four poster beds - For romantics.
Pasanggrahan Hotel Philipsburg, St Martin 35 rooms from £78Families - The penthouse has three bedrooms and a panoramic view from the rooftop.Fishing - The hotel provides deep sea fishing escapades.Value chicViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Frommers
A cheerful and historical guesthouse directly on the beachfront makes an ideal spot for a family, groups of friends, or those on a budget. A range of rooms, suites, and a penthouse (3 bedrooms) have kitchens, balconies, and panoramic views. Steak and seafood restaurant and fishing trips. See More
Horny Toad St Martin 8 rooms from £101Quirky - A small, unpretentious spot with an excellent reputation.Value chic - Superb value for moneySeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - Fodors
A small unpretentious collection of apartments directly on the beach. Each unit has its own kitchen, living area, and you can walk directly out of your door onto the beach. No eating options available, but ideal for a couple or family who want to do their own thing. Excellent value. See More
Hotel La Plantation St Martin 52 rooms from £112Families - 2 bedrooms villas are ideal spots for families.Sights nearby - Butterfly Farm.Kayaking - Available locally.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.
An excellent four star hotel suited to families, foodies, and beach goers alike. Charming rooms, suites, and two-bedrooms villas, all with their own kitchens. Swimming pool, romantic poolside terrace, and plenty of restaurants to choose from on the beachfront or directly on the beach. See More
Mary's Boon St Martin 36 rooms from £121Value chicOn the beach - Simpson Bay.TraditionalViews - Great views from hotel
A very good beach option for those who enjoy sophisticated interiors. Rooms and suites are boutique with four poster beds, colourful walls, and patios facing the sea. Swimming pool, excellent restaurant & small spa. Direct access to the beach. Ideal for couples and families. Superb value for money. See More
Holland House Philipsburg, St Martin 55 rooms from £133Views - Fabulous bay views.Beach LifeSights nearby - Cyrus Wathey Square, Philipsburg Courthouse, and Yoda Guy Movie Exhibit.Lively - A lively venue in the evenings for cocktails.
A lively spot with great amenities and stunning views over the bay below. Contemporary chic rooms have all the mod cons and in-room massages. Large wine cellar, pool, bar and restaurant, and easy walking distance to the town's main attractions. A good choice for a family. See More
Esmeralda St Martin from £140Foodies - The Astrolabe specialises in French cuisine, and the beachfront restaurant serves International food.Beach LifeRomantic BreakLuxury
A beachside hotel for those who appreciate a bit of boutique chic. Luxurious rooms, suites, and spacious condos, all with kitchens, white washed walls, and romantic furnishings. Large central pool, fine dining French restaurant, beach restaurant and direct access to the beach. See More
Oyster Bay Beach Resort St Martin 190 rooms from £152Beach LifeRomantic BreakViews - Great views from hotelLively - Beau Beau is a lively night spot at the hotel.Recommended by - Fodors
Bleu Emeraude St Martin 11 rooms from £182Views - Views over the Caribbean Sea to AnguillaSights nearby - Paradise Peak.Four poster beds - For romantics.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.
A contemporary chic set up with all the mod cons makes for an ideal base for a family beach holiday. Rooms and two bedroom suites all in white have DVD players, iPod docking stations, kitchens, and living areas. A short walk out of the hotel onto the beach. Ideally located for beach life. See More
Divi Little Bay Beach resort St Martin 265 rooms from £168Outstanding location - Set on a peninsula of its own with unrivalled beach access and seaviews.Beach Life - Swimming pools, beaches, and ocean views.WindsurfingViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Fodors
A large and attractive beach hotel with all the amenities on a pretty peninsula; ideal for families and beach goers. Contemporary chic rooms, suites, and family rooms in creams and pastels, three pools (one for kids), three restaurants, a spa, and easy access to the beach. See More
La Vista Beach Resort Simpson Bay, St Martin 18 rooms from £176Views - Fantastic seaviews from all angles.On the beach - Overlooks the crystal waters of Lay Bay.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
A good value beach resort for those on a budget. A collection of studio and two-room apartments have kitchens, balconies, and sea views. A short walk directly onto the beach or to the large swimming pool. Close to all the restaurants and activities around. An ideal base for families or couples. See More
Hotel Marquis St Martin 17 rooms from £200Beach LifeRomantic - Good for couples.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.SpaRecommended by - Fodors
A luxurious beach boutique suited to the sophisticated traveller. Four Star comforts and elegant decor throughout; romantic suites with kitchens and living areas. Large pool, top of the range spa, fitness centre, and a gourmet discovery package. Ideal for couples and families. See More
Orient Beach Hotel Saint Martin 35 rooms from £191Beach Life - Idyllic 3.5 mile Orient Bay beach is considered one of the island's very best with white sand, great swimming and coral reefTotal relaxation - There's no need to leave this slice of paradise; laid-back dining, buzzing beach clubs, and watersports are steps awayViews - While all rooms face the ocean, Luxury Ocean Junior Suites, located on the top floor of the property, offer the best viewsSwimming Pool - Tucked away between the restaurants on a stretch of lawn, the outdoor pool is beach and sea-facing
Deluxe sea-facing suites located directly on Orient Bay's stunning white sand beach. Spacious and contemporary rooms with colourful decor all come with balconies and kitchenettes. Stretch is home to restaurants, bars and beach clubs meaning you can simply relax or party all day. A fly'n'flop break. See More
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort Maho Reef, Sint Maarten 130 rooms from £203Honeymoons - Spoiling honeymoon packages include stay in Sunset Butler Suite, champagne on arrival, couples massage & private romantic dinnerSwimming Pool - Swim in three amazing pools: cliffside man-made 'beach' Edge Pool, Point Pool with cabanas & semi-private swim-out room poolsRomantic Break - Adult-only, cliff-top dining, outdoor tubs and indulging spa treatments make this perfect for couple's holidaysBusiness meetings - The largest meeting and convention space on Sint Maarten can host events for up to 700 people
Modern adult-only all-inclusive property set within a larger luxury beachfront resort. Designed for spoiling vacations, enjoy sea-facing pools, outdoor dining, alfresco spa treatments & balconies with sunset views - there's no reason to leave the resort. Fab for those after competitive packages. See More
L'Esplanade, St Martin St Martin 23 rooms from £207Luxury - An oasis of tranquility with amazing ocean views and impeccable attention to detail.Honeymoons - A dreamy spot with chic interiors, wonderful views, and a romantic atmosphere.Views - Stunning ocean views and rooftop vistas.Beach LifeRecommended by - Great Small Hotels , Fodors
A dreamy little spot and a hidden gem with boutique interiors and varying accommodation. Rooms, lofts, and a two-bedroom villa (with its own infinity pool) with romantic furnishings, a laid back atmosphere, and sea views. Tennis and squash courts on site. Delightfully unpretentious. See More
Sol e Luna Grand Case, Saint Martin 6 rooms from £208Good wine list - Wine-lovers will appreciate the expansive cellar, home to hundreds of upscale French wines. Tastings take place once a monthBeach Life - Perfect beach break base: venture out to Cul-de-Sac and all Grand Case beaches in a matter of minutes on foot or by carRestaurant - Enjoy A blend of Provencal & Creole cooking washed down with fine wines in a plush & atmospheric indoor/outdoor settingRomantic Break - Four-poster beds draped with tropical netting, candle-lit restaurant and a grown-up vibe make this ideal for couples
Boutique guesthouse with chic decor, an intimate feel and small sundeck pools just a stroll from the beach. Romantic individually designed rooms blend French and tropical touches. Known for its upmarket French restaurant and wine cellar, this is the place for eating, drinking and sleeping in style. See More
Le Karibuni Cul de Sac, Saint Martin 6 rooms from £220Romantic Break - Private plunge pools, outdoor showers, sunrise sea-view terraces and Robinson Crusoe restaurant make for romantic breaksGroups - 3 and 6 bedroom villas offer a plush base for groups of friends; villa guests can enjoy private boat trips to the islandBeach Life - Although not located on the beach, a combination of unparalleled sea views and private beach club are a winnerRestaurant - Sail or kayak to the hotel's beach-shack style restaurant on Pinel Island and dine on freshly caught lobster
An upmarket boutique hotel set across a main house and pool villas. Tropical modernist decor with lush surroundings manages to be both cool and cosy. All rooms have terraces with epic sea views while having to kayak to the restaurant & beach club on a nearby island is a quirky touch. A chic stay. See More
LTC Hotel partenaire le temps des cerises jeans Grand Case, Saint Martin 9 rooms from £231Beach Life - Grand Case Beach is considered one of the best on the islands due to endless white sand and water ideal for swimmingRomantic Break - Designed with couples in mind, suites set the tone for a romantic stay; end perfect days with stunning sunsetsViews - Views of Grand Case beach and turquoise water are everywhere; from the shower, bed and balconyRooms with balcony/terrace - Glass balconies facing the beach give the impression you're floating on the water's edge
Intimate boutique hotel located on Grand Case Beach. Sexy open-plan suites with a contemporary nautical theme come with uninterrupted sea views and glass balconies. Walk to nearby eateries or dine on-site in the happening restaurant with beach bar vibes. A fab tropical base for couples. See More
La Playa Orient Bay Orient Bay, Saint Martin 56 rooms from £399Beach Life - Idyllic stretch of white sand and dazzling turqouise sea is epitome of Caribbean paradise. Calm water is perfect for swimmingWalking distance restaurants - Orient Bay offers range of laid-back eateries along stretch of white sand. Walk into the village for more optionsFamilies - Spacious living area and two bathrooms make the Executive Suite a good option for families or groups of friendsSwimming Pool - The large freshwater pool with sheltered sundeck is perfect if you've spent too much time at the beach
Contemporary all-suite beach resort on picture-perfect Orient Bay. Spacious suites with a fresh feel, high ceilings, blonde wood furnishings & colourful decor feature garden & Caribbean Sea views. Rotate between the al fresco restaurant, enormous pool & beach club. A classic choice for beach breaks. See More
Belmond La Samanna Marigot, St Martin 83 rooms from £4535* Luxury - One of the top 10 Caribbean hotels.Beach LifeHoneymoonsRomantic BreakRecommended by - Fodors
The piece de resistance on the French side of St Martin. Luxury for the scrupulous traveller, the honeymooner, a family, or friends. Uber chic rooms, suites, and 3/4 bedroom villas, have all white walls, marble bathrooms and all the mod cons. Three fantastic restaurants, spa, and private beach. See More
Coral Beach Club Dawn Beach, Sint Maarten 21 rooms from £515Private villas - Certain 3 and 4 bedroom villas are located on the beachfront while 2 - 3 bedroom options overlook it. Marina Lofts face the pondFamilies - The entire family can relax in private setting with multiple bedrooms, babysitting, maid service, chefs & children's activitiesViews - On the sunrise side of the island, views over the Atlantic Ocean and palm-fringed white sand beach take some beatingBeach Life - Nestled between Oyster Pond and Dawn Beach, Coral Beach Club offers pristine and secluded white sand beach paradise
Five-star all-villa beach resort situated between the Atlantic Ocean and Oyster Pond. Contemporary self-catered units with a range of bedrooms all come with private pools and sea-facing terraces. In addition to a deluxe beach club, enjoy seafood restaurant and watersports. Ideal for family breaks. See More