San Pedro de Atacama
Search the best hotels in San Pedro de Atacama
About San Pedro de Atacama
Walking through San Pedro de Atacama, you instantly feel as if you've been dropped onto the set of a Hollywood Western. In the heart of the driest non-polar desert in the world, this tiny village of old adobe houses clustered along dusty unpaved roads looks out onto an otherworldly landscape of rugged sandstone valleys, dunes, salt flats, boiling geysers and lagoons inhabited by flamingos - all in the shadow of massive snowcapped volcanoes. The spectacular setting makes San Pedro one of the most popular tourist destinations in Chile, with clear starry skies, jaw-dropping scenery and activities ranging from sandboarding to hot air balloon rides. Our collection of the best places to stay in San Pedro de Atacama range from trendy desert hideaways, to luxury hotels with spas.
People flock to San Pedro for the landscape. Sublime, dreamlike and wild, the region sits in the heart of the Los Flamencos National Reserve - an extraordinary area - and one of the most beautiful in Chile, if not South America. The Valley of the Moon is one such example: the moonlike landscape is peppered with craters, caves and dunes. The Piedras Rojas is also beautiful - a group of red sandstone rocks lapped gently by waves of the warmest blue - made even more stunning by snowcapped volcanoes as a backdrop. Throughout this beautiful, barren land lie steaming geysers - hot springs that shoot up plumes of water into the air - best seen at sunrise when the waters shine red and gold. The Laguna Baltinache, a salt plain brimming with blue salt lagoons, is worth checking out: like the Dead Sea, you float seamlessly in the waters.
In spite of being a remote, near-lifeless and barren land, there are some fascinating historic sites. An hour to the north, just before Rio Grande, you will find Yerbas Buenas, a series of petroglyphs - prehistoric carvings and paintings - which offer an illuminating insight into the beliefs and lives of our prehistoric ancestors. The pre-Incan fortress of Pukara de Quitar is also worth exploring, perched on a hill on the outskirts of San Pedro.
However, the village itself is really the beating heart of all activity in the area, and is where you can book an ATV tour, a hot air balloon ride over the Atacama Desert or a sandboarding session in "Death Valley". But San Pedro's tiny size and lack of bustle is where its charm lies: the skies are unbelievably clear and are perfect for stargazing - you can even go on an astronomy tour. You will find that locals exhibit an extraordinary level of energy and positivity, and they will tell you that its the large quantity of copper and quartz in the region that flood the area with good vibes. Right...
This is a very popular destination, so to ensure a room at one of the best places to stay in San Pedro de Atacama, we recommend planning your trip well in advance.
The best places to stay in San Pedro de Atacama
- Hotel Altiplanico is a charming hotel with great views of the volcanoes from its desert location. It is built in traditional mud brick. The rooms are simple yet atmospheric, dotted with artefacts and there is a lagoon style pool.
- Hotel Pascual Andino is a small boutique hotel with just ten rooms, in the centre of town. The design is mud brick and wood. All of the town’s historic attractions are within walking distance. An authentic Chilean experience.
- For a more secluded place to stay, but still at the budget end, the Cumbres Hotel and Spa is situated some 2km out of the village, on the edge of the Atacama desert. Interiors feature a mixture of the traditional and the modern being all glass walls and wooden furniture. There is a lovely relaxing spa and the desert views are stunning.
- The NOI Casa Atacama offers a notch up in terms of luxury, but retains a boutique feel with just 25 rooms. Like a number of others, Casa Atacama is built in the desert style from local stone. Guestrooms are comfortable and homely, some opening on to terraces, and if you come in winter, choose one with an open fire. The outdoor pool is delightful.
Upmarket desert chic
- For somewhere truly stylish, Tierra Atacama resort and spa is an elegant hotel in the heart of the Atacama desert. The rooms are chic and whitewashed with four-poster beds, bathrooms are contemporary and smart. The views are to die for, and there's a truly pampering spa as well.
- The much more intimate (8 rooms) Awasi Atacama is another ultra cool desert retreat. The style is rustic, the cabins have polished wood floors, adobe walls and traditional hangings. The food is top notch. Great for the outdoors.
- Nayama Alto Atacama is a chic property set in the heart of the world’s highest desert. The feel is contemporary style meets traditional charm. The rooms are light and airy and there's a lovely spoiling spa.
- At almost twice the cost (but hey, who's counting), Explora Atacama is a stunning contemporary hotel offering beautifully styled rooms with glass, wood and white background, and spectacular views. Desert expeditions are available and there's a relaxing spa to unwind in afterwards. The restaurant serves excellent regional fare - a truly unique stay.
For an apartment or villa
- Check out our partner Booking.com to see their wide range of villas and apartments.
- Fly to Santiago, then to Calama where you can get a transfer bus ride to San Pedro.
- If you want to rent a car we recommend contacting our partner Rentalcars.
- During the summer, the temperature averages at around 27 degrees and this is the best time to plan your trip.
Still not sure?
For more spectacular Chilean landscapes why not browse through our collection of properties in Puerto Natales.
Or widen the net to include all the best place to stay in Chile.
Or contact a friendly guru for advice.
Monthly Weather in San Pedro de Atacama
Best Hotels in San Pedro de Atacama
Hotel Altiplanico, San Pedro de Atacama San Pedro de Atacama 31 rooms from £140Active Holiday - An ideal spot for those seeking the thrills of the great outdoors, and to relish the epic landscape.Birdwatching - Spot flamingos, plovers and geese in the highland lagoons.Romantic - Good for couples.Full of characterRecommended by - I Escape
Hotel Pascual Andino San Pedro de Atacama 10 rooms from £172Local exploring - Well located within the town's historical centre with many attractions nearby.Sights nearby - Just 150m from the town's traditional Church.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool.Full of character
A small boutique hotel in the heart of the historic town centre. Atmospheric mud brick and wooden rooms are traditional in style. Quiet terraces are perfect for unwinding with a good book. Find many of the town's attractions within walking distance. Ideal for an authentic Chilean experience. See More
NOI Casa Atacama San Pedro de Atacama 25 rooms from £230Local exploring - With a great, central location in San Pedro, this hotel is the perfect base for local exploring in the AtacamaBack to Nature - With a privileged location in the Atacama Desert, this hotel makes a unique retreat to natureFoodies - Foodies will love to classic Chilean cuisine on offer at the hotel's gourmet restaurantSights nearby - Visit the San Pedro Church, a colonial-era church built in the traditional style
This luxury hotel is located in the town of San Pedro in the Atacama Desert. Guestrooms are bright and contemporary, with local linens and original artwork reflecting regional traditions; book a luxury suite for a cosy fireplace. Sample authentic Chilean cuisine in the hotel restaurant; a chic stay. See More
Hotel Cumbres San Pedro de Atacama (Parcela 2) 60 rooms from £311Total relaxation - Boasting a remote location and a spoiling spa this is the ideal spot to get away from the rat race.Active Holiday - The Cordillera de Los Andes provide plenty of opportunity for outdoor pursuits.Sights nearby - Embark on an archealogical tour of the Tulor- Quitor and Inca ruins.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool.
A secluded hotel and spa located next to the stunning Atacama Desert. Rooms mix traditional materials with contemporary style; think glass walls and wood furnishings. A glorious spa will soothe any aches and pains and numerous guided expeditions will satisfy the most adventurous souls. See More
Tierra Atacama Resort & Spa San Pedro de Atacama (Las Condes) 32 rooms from £421Active Holiday - Situated in the epic landscape of the Atacama Desert, ideal for those searching for outdoor pursuits.Views - Great views from hotelRomantic - Good for couples.Secluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Tablet, I Escape, Great Small Hotels , Kiwi Collection, Mr & Mrs Smith
Awasi Atacama San Pedro de Atacama (SAN PEDRO DE ATACAMA) 8 rooms from £674Active Holiday - A myriad of landscapes from volcanoes to salt flats, lagoons and sand dunes, all primed for outdoor pursuits.Restrictions on children - Children over five years old are welcome.Outstanding locationViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Tablet, Kiwi Collection, I Escape, Relais & Chateaux
A rustic chic hotel set in the outstanding Atacama Desert. Atmospheric cabanas have smart polished wood floors, abode walls and traditional wall hangings. Superb cuisine is served up using mainly local produce. Find an abundance of adventures and outdoor pursuits in the surrounds. See More
Explora Atacama San Pedro de Atacama 50 rooms from £741Active Holiday - Located in the stunning Atacama Desert and with 40 curated expeditions in foot, horseback or bicycle.Outstanding locationViews - Great views from hotelRomantic - Good for couples.
A contemporary hotel in the spectacular Atacama Desert. Simply styled rooms feature plenty of glass and wood set against a white background. Feast on regional fare, marvel at the spectacular views, unwind in the spa and embark on one of the many desert expeditions. A truly unique stay. See More
Nayara Alto Atacama San Pedro de Atacama (Ayllú de QuitoR) 42 rooms from £913Back to Nature - Located in the the heart of the Atacama, the world’s highest desert.Sights nearby - Visit the altiplanic lagoons and the geysers at El Tatio.Birdwatching - Go flamingo spotting at the Salar de Atacama salt flats.Secluded setting - For escaping.
A chic property that's all about the location. Sat in the heart of the world's highest desert. Contemporary style meets traditional charm in the light and airy rooms. A spoiling spa is a must visit when you get time from visiting the spectacular natural sights in the area. A truly unique stay. See More