Search the best hotels in Hangzhou
The city of Hangzhou is renowned for its stunning natural beauty, with vast lakes and lush greenery running throughout the city. It's an ideal spot for outdoorsy travellers of all ages to explore: take a boat on West Lake or visit the city's array of UNESCO-listed historical sites. Elsewhere in the city, Hangzhou boasts a major business district and is a significant transportation hub — well located for travelling on to the rest of China. Accommodation ranges from simple guesthouses to swish city hotels ideal for business travellers. The best places to stay in Hangzhou are located around West Lake, perfect for exploring the region's natural and historical wonders.
Start with a visit to the West Lake, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Known for its stunning beauty, it is dotted with gardens, pagodas, temples and other attractions. The lush forest of the area is best enjoyed from Bai Causeway and the Bhosi Mountain on its south-east shore. At Jixianting pick up a map — also available as an app from different stores — and make your way along the trails to spots of interest, such as the Yue Fei Temple and the historic Baoshi Pagoda.
If you have kids in tow, head to Hangzhou's Zoo for its wide array of animals, including pandas, macaques, white tigers and sea lions. Before leaving, don’t forget to visit one of the many teahouses and sample some of the area’s delicious local delicacies. The best places to stay in Hangzhou fill up fast, so book your trip well in advance to avoid disappointment!
The Best Places to Stay in Hangzhou
For a lakeside setting
- Four Seasons Hangzhou at West Lake is where contemporary luxuries meld with traditional design. Interiors are spacious and grand with modern minimalist style dotted with Chinese art and furniture. The location is second to none, on the shores of West Lake, set amidst stunning gardens with courtyards, lagoons and plenty of beautiful willow trees. A spectacular base to explore the city from.
For a luxury hideaway
- Amanfayun is a quiet retreat set amongst rugged nature and some of China’s most important Buddhist temples. Sultry suites are ideal for couples and foodies will love the fine dining. A conversion of a former village it is as much a cultural experience as a five-star stay. Complete with traditional bathhouse.
For an apartment or flat
- For those looking for some additional privacy, or a wider selection of hotels, we recommend you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Hangzhou is served by Hangzhou Xiaoshan International Airport (HGH), some 17 miles from downtown. There are daily flights to and from major cities in China, including Beijing, Xi'an, Chengdu, Guilin, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, and Macau. For international travellers, Shanghai is the closest main hub, and is serviced by Pudong International Airport, a two hour drive away. Alternatively there is a fast train.
- For those interested in hiring a car, we recommend visiting our online partner Rentalcars.
- Skip the hoards of summer crowds and visit Hangzhou from October to November for comfortable temperatures and beautiful autumn scenery.
Still not sure?
- Widen your search to our selection of the best places to stay in China.
- Browse through our list of the best places to stay in Shanghai.
- Or if you'd like some personal travel advice, contact one of our friendly gurus.
Monthly Weather in Hangzhou
Best Hotels in Hangzhou
Four Seasons Hangzhou at West Lake Xihu Qu, Hangzhou Shi, 78 rooms from £312Romantic Break - Surrounded by traditional Chinese gardens and views of mystical West Lake, the Hotel is a haven for romanticsBack to Nature - Xihu is a great choice for travellers interested in tranquillity, nature walks and templesBusiness meetings - Well-equipped business centre with meeting, banquet and conference facilitiesSights nearby - West Lake has many sights, such as Yue Fei Temple, Lingyin Temple, a Buddhist monastery and Long Jing tea farmsRecommended by - Tablet
Contemporary luxuries collide with traditional design at this Four Season's offering set in the whimsical UNESCO World Heritage Site of West lake. Interiors are spacious and grand with modern minimalist style dotted with Chinese art and furniture. A spectacular base to explore the city from. See More
Amanfayun Hangzhou (West Lake Scenic Area,) 42 rooms from £544Hideaway - A former farming village, sympathetically converted into a luxury hotel complex. The ultimate hideawayGreat walks - Walk to the neighbouring villages or the nearby tea plantationsSights nearby - The town of Hangzhou is just thirty minutes awayRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A quiet retreat set amongst rugged nature and some of China’s most important Buddhist temples. Sultry suites are ideal for couples and foodies will love the fine dining. A conversion of a former village it is as much a cultural experience as a five-star stay. Complete with traditional bathhouse. See More