What a brilliant website. I shall speak of it far & wide ! David Campbell.
Search the best hotels in Cartagena
Cartagena de Indias feels like it belongs to a different era. Once an important port on the silver and gold trade route, this city was wealthy and fortified. The impressive remnants of which are why it's UNESCO world heritage listed and why it has so many visitors. The city undoubtedly has a fairytale quality to it and the best places to stay in Cartagena offer visitors a fantastic glimpse into this historic town. In fact while it feels like an exotic destination, Cartagena is also a good place to go if you want to relax - one of the best things to do here is stroll the sea wall, followed by some mojitos in a cafe/ bar and some people watching. Although this may make it sound small - it's not, Cartagena is the fifth largest city in Colombia.
What Not To Miss
- The Fortifications. Because of the rich trading, Cartagena is also the Caribbean port most associated with pirates. It makes sense that Cartagena's famous fortifications are slightly set off from today's city - focused around the bay. The best of the forts are the Castillo de San Felipe of Barajas, the Battery of San Ángel in Tierrabomba, the Castillo Fuerte of San Fernando and the Battery of San José in Bocachica.
- Stroll around the walled Old Town - everything you'd expect a Spanish Colonial settlement to look like. This is one of the best places to stay in Cartagena if you're 'hanging the expense' and want to really be in the heart of things. Despite being ravaged numerous times this area is full of beautiful buildings.
- Specifically within the Old Town, the Cathedral and the Palace of the Inquisition are majestic and fascinating - and give a great look into Cartagena's rich history.
- Built for the middle classes, San Diego is where you'll find many of Cartagena's most beautiful old colonial homes some of which have been converted into boutique hotels.These hotels may not always have a lot of rooms but the charm of staying in this area is worth the effort.
- Or for a different experience, visit Oceanario with marine life, including turtles and sharks, on show in the beautiful waters - it's a great excursion for visitors of all ages.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Cartagena includes everything from luxurious retreats to chic properties in the heart of the town ensuring there's something for everyone.
The Best Places to stay in Cartagena
For central location
- If you want to stay in the heart of town, a good option is Casa Pestagua. Right by Santo Domingo Square, this palace of a hotel was built for an 18th Century Count and is often referred to as 'the most beautiful house in Cartagena'. It has gorgeous views over the walled city and a luxurious spa with hot-tubs-with-a-view.
- La Passion is also in a great central location. This beautiful 18th century palace has been converted into an eight bedroomed hotel with stylish rooms, fabulous roof top swimming pool and cocktail bar.
- The Sofitel Legend Santa Clara is one of the best places to stay in Cartagena to experience San Diego. It has a grandiose beauty that fits in with the carefully restored houses the area is best known for. It used to be a convent, but with four bars and the largest pool in the walled city it's anything but staid now.
- Very chic and central, Casa del Coliseo is a beautifully renovated colonial house in the heart of the historic centre. Enormous rooms feature beamed ceilings, white washed walls and a mix of contemporary and antique furniture. It boasts a rooftop pool and BBQ area. Rent the whole house or just a room. Fabulous.
- Hotel LM A small luxury hotel in Cartagena's most exclusive district. Housing just seven individually styled rooms that beautifully mix colonial charm with contemporary style. A picture pretty courtyard complete with pool is the perfect hang out and the kitchen serves up excellent regional fare.
The Best Luxury Hotels in Cartagena
- Tcherassi Hotel and Spa is one of the trendiest addresses in town. Come here for sleek interiors, contemporary art and an award winning restaurant.
- Casa San Agustin is easily one of the best places if luxury is your thing. The large rooms and suites feature four poster beds and marble bathrooms as standard. Plus there's a courtyard pool and much, much more.
- Great for exploration of the town and beaches, Casa Don Sancho is a luxury hotel located in the historic walled city and just a short walk from the beach. Beautifully renovated throughout, the house keeps its colonial charm mixed with a clean contemporary feel. Large rooms feature private terraces, wooden fans and high ceilings. A chic choice.
- For those looking for luxury with no shortage of activities, Sofitel Legend Santa Clara is a former convent in the heart of Cartagena with four bars and the biggest swimming pool in the city. Fun, fun, fun - the original occupants would not approve...
- Perfect for relaxing, Bantu Boutique Hotel is an elegant 5* hotel in 18th century building. Characterful rooms have exposed bricks, traditional mosaic tiles and light marble bathrooms. With an outdoor pool on the roof terrace, inner plant-filled courtyard, solarium, hot tub and massages there is Caribbean and Colombian fare in the romantic restaurant. An authentic stay.
The Most Romantic Places to Stay in Cartagena
- Beautifully traditional, Bovedas de Santa Clara is boutique property in the heart of Cartagena de Indias. White on white throughout with beamed ceilings and natural objects as artwork. Rooms are well proportioned and have a whimsical, romantic air. Well located for city exploring or for heading out into the surrounding mountain range. Very chic.
- Quadrifolio is a romantic manor house in the old town of Cartagena. Traditional understated elegance throughout the suites with stone floors, wooden furnishings and all the mod cons. Lovely pool, spa and restaurant. Calm, simple and sophisticated.
- Casablanca B&B is a contemporary B&B in colonial house. Elegant rooms are awash with white furnishings, antique furniture and granite bathrooms; some with open air showers. There are two outdoor pools, rooftop bar with superb views and a shady courtyard. Spa treatments are available. Chic and romantic with lots of personal touches.
For a Historic Property
- Great for foodies, Casa La Cartujita is situated in central Cartagena and offers cooking classes. This stylish property features 16th century colonial architecture with modernist and chic rooms as well as a small indoor pool. Head up to the solarium and work on your tan or go off exploring the area. An incredibly upmarket and elegant city spot!
- Alfiz Hotel is great value and perfectly located near Cartagena de Indias' historic Old Town. It features traditional & elegant rooms decorated in a typically colonial manner with plenty of antique furniture. Relax in their reading room with a book or head off to explore the gorgeous city.
For the beach
- Conrad Cartagena is situated a short way out of town, but this means that you take advantage of its beach front location. It's also a great option for families with activities galore and kids clubs for all ages. Plus there's an 18 hole Golf Course, beach club, tennis courts and spa, and five star luxury accommodation.
The Best Value Places to Stay in Cartagena
- San Lazaro Art Lifestyle Hotel is a chic contemporary hotel located just outside the historical walled city. Cleanly designed rooms feature floor to ceiling windows, crisp white linen and large terraces. A rooftop pool is the perfect spot to sip a cocktail and the hip restaurant serves international and Caribbean fare.
- Hotel la Artilleria - this hotel is centrally located in Cartagena de Indias. It features incredibly spacious and simple white rooms and even has its own rooftop pool as well as a terrace. Make the most out of the fabulous location to explore every inch of this historic city. A great value stay with very friendly staff.
Prefer an apartment or villa?
- If you'd prefer your own space, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a range of accommodation both on the coast and in the heart of the city.
- Fly to Rafael Nunez International Airport located only 11km (7 miles) from Cartagena, with a range of connections to other international destinations.
- If you would like to rent a car, for prices we recommend visiting our online partner Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - although Columbia can be a year-round destination, the dry season is from December to March
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Cartagena
Conrad Cartagena 268 rooms from £131Cartagena
Luxury resort situated just outside Cartagena. The Conrad offers smart modern rooms and suites (some with private pool) accompanied by superb facilities: beach club, kids club, tennis courts, championship golf course and more! A great choice for families and golf enthusiasts.Golf - The 18 hole course was created by Nicklaus Design & is the only Tournament Players’ Club course in South America.Kids Club - Available for children from 3-12 years with a full range of activities to suit allSpa - Conrad spa offers a wide range of treatments featuring Colombian healing practicesViews - Most of the accommodation enjoys views over the ocean or Golf Course
Hotel la Artilleria 23 rooms from £67Cartagena
This hotel is centrally located in Cartagena de Indias. It features incredibly spacious and simple white rooms and even has its own rooftop pool as well as a terrace. Make the most out of the fabulous location to explore every inch of this historic city. A great value stay with very friendly staff.Sights nearby - Go explore Bolivar House, Santo Domingo Square or the city walls-all of which are just a short walk awaySpaSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Hotel Kartaxa 26 rooms from £72Cartagena (San Diego)
This boutique hotel is located in Cartagena, Colombia. The spacious guestrooms are themed around Colombian artists and feature heritage-style furnishings, tiled floors and local artwork; book a luxury suite for a private terrace. Unwind by the chic pool or in the cosy sitting room; a stylish hotel.Local exploring - Set within the walls of the old city, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploringCity Style - Located in a heritage property in Cartagena, this hotel has lots of local city styleRomantic Break - Couples love the romantic suites at this hotel, and the pretty outdoor poolGreat walks - Explore the beautiful, historic streets of the old city on a long walk; it is now UNESCO World Heritage Site
San Lazaro Art Lifestyle Hotel 36 rooms from £82Cartagena
A chic contemporary hotel with located just outside the historical walled city. Cleanly designed rooms feature floor to ceiling windows, crisp white linen and large terraces. A rooftop pool is the perfect spot to sip a cocktail and a hip restaurant serves international and Caribbean fare. Fabulous.Local exploring - Well located within walking distance of many of the city's main attractions.City Style - A chic city pad with contemporary design and a trendy restaurant.Great walks - Take a wander around the picture perfect 'walled city'.Sights nearby - Located right opposite San Felipe de Barajas Castle.
Alfiz Hotel 10 rooms from £127Cartagena (Centrohistori)
Alfiz Hotel is great value and perfectly located near Cartagena de Indias' historic Old Town. It features traditional & elegant rooms decorated in a typically colonial manner with plenty of antique furniture. Relax in their reading room with a book or head off to explore the gorgeous city.Sights nearby - Head over to see Bolivar House, Santo Domingo Square or Centenary Park-all of which are located just a short walk awayLocal markets - You've got to check out Las Bóvedas market which takes place in an arcade originally built as a dungeon!Great walks - Wander over to the beach and take a beautiful walk up the Caribbean coastlineRestrictions on children - Not suitable for children under 12 yrs of age
Bantu Boutique Hotel 26 rooms from £112Cartagena
Elegant 5* hotel in 18th century building. Characterful rooms have exposed bricks, traditional mosaic tiles and light marble bathrooms. Outdoor pool on roof terrace, inner plant-filled courtyard, solarium, hot tub and massages. Caribbean and Colombian fare in romantic restaurant. An authentic stay.Writing a novel - Take inspiration from this 18th century building and old city, read upon the roof terrace lounge or the bricked courtyardGreat walks - Through the cobbled Old TownSights nearby - Santo Toribio ChurchBarefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.
La Passion 8 rooms from £131Cartagena (Bolivar)
A beautiful 18th century palace with traditional facades and classical suites to match. Chequered stone floors, romantic balconies, four poster beds, pastel walls, gilt mirrors and winding staircases. Stunning roof top swimming pool and cocktail bar. Very ethereal.Romantic BreakSights nearby - Situated in the heart of the historical centre of CartagenaRestrictions on children - Over 14s welcome.Swimming Pool - Rooftop PoolRecommended by - Tablet, CN Traveller
Hotel Casa Quero 7 rooms from £118Cartagena (San Diego)
This boutique hotel is located in the historic San Diego neighbourhood of Cartagena de Indias, Colombia. Guestrooms feature whitewashed walls, heritage-style furniture and tiled floors; book a suite for living space and a terrace. Unwind by the pool before dinner al fresco; a charming boutique stay.Local exploring - This hotel is in a great location for local exploring, with most of the city's main attractions within walking distanceCity Style - Situated in a heritage property within the walls of a UNESCO World Heritage city, this hotel has lots of local styleRomantic Break - Couples love the romantic rooms at this hotel; book a suite for a charming private terraceGreat walks - Stroll through the historic streets of the walled city, a listed heritage site
Casa La Cartujita 7 rooms from £164Cartagena
Casa La Cartujita is situated in central Cartagena. This stylish property features 16th century colonial architecture with modernist and chic rooms as well as a small indoor pool. Head up to the solarium and work on your tan or go off exploring the area. An incredibly upmarket and elegant city spot!Sights nearby - Go visit Cartagena's Walls, Bolivar Park, the Palace of the Inquisition or a number of other local sightsCooking classes - Opt for cooking classes in this modern kitchen.Restrictions on children - children over 12 yrs are welcomeSwimming Pool - small pool on the first floor
Casa Claver Loft Boutique Hotel 8 rooms from £145Cartagena (Centro)
A beautifully renovated 17th-century townhouse offering guests fully-equipped loft rooms for long and short-term stays. Each room has a kitchenette and seating area. All guests can make use of a stunning sun terrace with an outdoor pool, and there is also an indoor pool, a steam room and a sauna.Groups - These large loft rooms in central Bogota are perfect for big groupsCity Style - Discover the sights and sounds of Bogota from this central locationSights nearby - Walking tours can be arranged at reception and are a great way to get to know the sights of BogotaLively area - In the thick of the action.
Sophia Hotel 15 rooms from £150Cartagena (Centro)
A magnificent boutique hotel offering 5* accommodation in central Cartagena. There is an outdoor pool and sun terrace where guests can enjoy a relaxing drink from the bar before a meal at the hotel restaurant. All 15 rooms are individually and elegantly decorated in contemporary decor.City Style - Explore Cartagena from this central location in Cartagena de Indias and enjoy views of this traditional Colombian cityBusiness meetings - Sophia Hotel has a range of stylish meeting rooms perfect for any corporate get-togetherBeach Life - Relax on Cartagena's gorgeous beaches, Bocagrande and Marbella are a short walk awaySights nearby - Get to know Cartegena's sights, Bolivar Park and the Cano Gallery are within walking distance
Ananda Hotel Boutique 23 rooms from £168Cartagena (Centro)
This colonial boutique hotel is located in the heart of Cartagena's old town. Rooms have elegant, classic interiors featuring local textiles and native wood accents; book a split-level suite for a teak-panelled terrace. Lounge by the pool or sip cocktails at the rooftop bar; a chic heritage hotel.City Style - Situated in a heritage property with classic interiors, this hotel has plenty of local Cartagenan styleLocal exploring - Located Cartagena's vibrant old town, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploring in the cityRomantic Break - Couples love the hotel's interior patio pool and the romantic rooftop terraceSights nearby - Visit the San Agustin Convent; now part of Cartegena University, this impressive building dates back to the 16th century
Hotel LM 7 rooms from £168Cartagena
A small luxury hotel in Cartagena's most exclusive district. Housing just seven individually styled rooms that beautifully mix colonial charm with contemporary style. A picture pretty courtyard complete with pool is the perfect hang out and the kitchen serves up excellent regional fare. Fabulous.Local exploring - Just a short walk from the city's historical and cultural sites.City Style - A chic hotel in one of the city's most exclusive districts.Sights nearby - Admire the colonial charm of the ‘walled city’.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool.
Casa de Alba Hotel 12 rooms from £169Cartagena de Indias, Colombia
A stunning hotel located in a renovated colonial mansion in the heart of Cartagena. Rooms are bright and spacious with marble finishes and a private terrace or balcony. Historical sights, like the, Santa Catalina de Alejandra Cathedral, are at your doorstep, and local cuisine can be enjoyed nearby.Local exploring - The hotel is located within the walled city, in a prime location for exploring CartagenaBeach Life - The city boasts a stunning beach, ideal for relaxing and watersportsFoodies - The hotel is located near plenty of restaurantsSights nearby - The hotel is close to many historical sites, including the cathedral, San Pedro Square and Bolivar ParkRecommended by - Tablet, Great Small Hotels
Sofitel Legend Santa Clara 122 rooms from £220Cartagena (Barrio San Diego)
A Former convent in the heart of Cartagena with four bars and the biggest swimming pool in the city. Fun, fun, fun - the original occupants would not approve...Sights nearby - lots or just walk around the walled cityDiving - Snorkelling and Scuba diving centreSwimming Pool - Large Outdoor PoolSpa - HammamRecommended by - Tablet, Fodors, Kiwi Collection
Casa Don Sancho 6 rooms from £176Cartagena (Centro Histórico)
A luxury hotel located in the historic walled city and just a short walk from the beach. Beautifully renovated throughout the house keeps its colonial charm mixed with a clean contemporary feel. Large rooms feature private terraces, wooden fans and high ceilings. A chic choice.Local exploring - Located in Cartagena’s historic Walled City. Step out the door and get exploring!Sights nearby - Wander through the narrow flower filled streets of the historic walled city and admire the pretty colonial architecture.Local markets - Make a trip to the bustling food market Mercado de Bazurto for cheap authentic eats.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool.
Bastión Luxury Hotel 51 rooms from £183Cartagena (Centro Histórico)
This luxury hotel is located in Cartagena's historic old town. Rooms have colonial interiors and luxurious linens to complement the heritage property; book the Suite de Los Reyes for separate living space plus a private patio. Dine at the hotel restaurant before a spa treatment; a chic city hotel.Foodies - Foodies are spoiled for choice at this hotel; dine at the hotel restaurant, terrace bar or al fresco on the patioCity Style - Located in a heritage property in Cartagena's historic old town, this hotel has lots of local city styleRomantic Break - Couples love the romantic, colonial-style interiors and the chic rooftop poolGreat walks - Explore the beautiful old town where the hotel is located on a long walk; don't miss the pretty Fernandez Madrid Park
Movich Cartagena de Indias 32 rooms from £185Cartagena (Centro)
This luxury hotel is located in the historic district of Cartagena, Colombia. Interiors are inspired by the Caribbean and feature limestone walls, native wood furnishings and local crafts; book the Bayside Suite for a private balcony. Enjoy views from the rooftop terrace bar; a refined city hotel.Local exploring - Located in the vibrant old town of Cartagena, this hotel is perfectly located for local exploringCity Style - With interiors inspired by the Caribbean setting, this hotel boasts lots of local city styleRomantic Break - Book a luxury Bayside Suite for a whirpool bath and romantic balcony with city viewsSights nearby - Visit the Cartagena Cathedral, a colonial-era church and one of the oldest in the AmericasRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Casa Pombo Luxury Apartments 47 rooms from £186Cartagena (Centro)
This hotel offers luxury accommodation in a landmark heritage property in Cartagena, Colombia. Guestrooms feature exposed stone walls, antique furniture and a private terrace; book an apartment for contemporary interior design and a private pool. Unwind on the hotel's roof terrace; a refined hotel.City Style - Situated in a landmark, restored heritage property in Cartagena, this hotel has lots of local city styleLocal exploring - Located in the historic centre of Cartagena, this hotel is a great base for local exploring in the cityRomantic Break - Couples love the plush and romantic interiors at this hotel; book a luxury suite for a private jacuzziGreat walks - Wander the streets of the old city, a UNESCO-listed World Heritage SiteRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
Casablanca B&B 11 rooms from £200Cartagena
Contemporary B&B in colonial house. Elegant rooms are awash with white furnishings, antique furniture and granite bathrooms; some with open air showers. Two outdoor pool, rooftop bar with superb views and shady courtyard. Spa treatments available. Chic and romantic with lots of personable touches.Romantic Break - Rooftop pool with chic white loungers, palm tree shaded courtyard, enormous white beds and cobbled city outside to exploreGreat walks - Walk the narrow streets and discover the corners and squares of the old quarterSights nearby - The palace of the InquisitionSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Casa del Coliseo 11 rooms from £204Cartagena (Calle del Coliseo #35-23)
A beautifully renovated colonial house in the heart of the historic centre. Enormous rooms feature beamed ceilings, white washed walls and a mix of contemporary and antique furniture. Boasting a rooftop pool and BBQ area. Rent the whole house or just a room. Fabulous.Local exploring - A chic base right in the historic centre.Sights nearby - Visit the grand palace Castillo de San Felipe de Barajas.Romantic - Good for couples.Views - Great views from hotel
Quadrifolio 8 rooms from £205Cartagena
A romantic manor house in the old town of Cartagena. Traditional understated elegance throughout suites. Stone floors, wooden furnishings, all the mod cons. Lovely pool, spa and restaurant. Calm, simple, sophisticated.Romantic BreakSights nearby - Located in the historical centre of CartagenaSpaSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Tablet
Casa Cochera del Gobernador 12 rooms from £210Cartagena (Centro)
This luxury B&B occupies a restored, 16th-century colonial property in Cartagena, Colombia. Guestrooms boast high ceilings, 500-thread count linens and contemporary furnishings; book the Aljibe Suite which sits within a historic cistern in the city's old walls. Unwind at the spa; a chic city hotel.Romantic Break - Couples love the luxurious suites at this hotel; book a couples' massage for a romantic night inLocal exploring - Located in the historic centre of the city, this is the perfect base for local exploringCity Style - Situated in a heritage property in Cartagena, this hotel has reams of local city styleGreat walks - Soak in the atmosphere of this colonial-era city with a stroll through its historic, walled centre
Bovedas de Santa Clara 18 rooms from £229Cartagena
A boutique property in the heart of Cartagena de Indias. White on white throughout with beamed ceilings and natural objects as artwork. Rooms are well proportioned and have a whimsical, romantic air. Well located for city exploring or for heading out into the surrounding mountain range. Very chic.Local exploring - Located in the historical centre of Cartagena de Indias and within easy reach of the city's attractions.Birdwatching - Spend a morning birdwatching at Cienaga de la Virgen.Romantic - Good for couples.Traditional
Hotel Capellan 30 rooms from £249Cartagena (Getsemaní Sector Cra 9 No. 29 - 52)
A pair of colonial townhouses fused together by glass, form this chic hotel just beyond Cartagena’s city walls. Elegance prevails within, think marble everything, muted tones and indulgent spa baths. The rooftop cocktail bar, complete with pool and jacuzzi, is a real draw. A perfect city stay.Hotel Entertainment - After a gruelling days sightseeing indulge in a massage followed by a cocktail on the roof overlooking the colourful city belowCity Style - An elegant and sophisticated hotel in the hip Getsemaní area- neutral tones, French furnishings and a cool rooftop bar!Sights nearby - Bolivar Park and the Palace of the Inquisition are both within striking distance of the hotelClose to nightlife - Getsemaní is known for its hip vibes and burgeoning night scene- head out and hit the bars
Casa San Agustin 30 rooms from £324Cartagena (Bolivar)
Romantic and grand traditional Cartagenese house in the old town. White washed colonial buildings have frescoed ceilings, hand painted tiles, and coral stone walls. Enormous rooms and suites have high ceilings, four poster beds, and marble bathrooms. Lovely courtyard pool, restaurant and terraces.FamiliesRomantic BreakGroupsPrivate Hot Tub - If you book the Del Virrey Suite
Casa Pestagua 11 rooms from £303Cartagena
An absolute gem of laid-back style in a historic location with enormous bedrooms and bathrooms and a fabulous spa offering exotic luxurious treatments.Hot Tub - On the rooftop with amazing views over the citySwimming Pool - Large Outdoor PoolSpaViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Tablet
Hotel Las Islas 55 rooms from £426Cartagena
This eco-friendly retreat is located on Colombia’s Isla Barú, 45 minutes outside of Cartagena. Choose from luxury seafront or treetop bungalows with thatched roofs and a private jacuzzi or pool; book a special sea-level bungalow for direct sea access. Sample seafood at the restaurant; a chic escape.Beach Life - With a private beach and direct sea access from certain luxury bungalows, this hotel makes for an indulgent seaside getawayBack to Nature - Set on the beautiful Colombian island of Barú, this hotel offers a unique nature retreatRomantic Break - Couples love the discreet, private guest bungalows; book a treetop bungalow for a jacuzziCooking classes - Learn to make traditional regional dishes such as ceviche and shrimp cocktail with a local chef; book through the hotel
Tcherassi Hotel & Spa 7 rooms from £564Cartagena (Calle 38)
One of the trendiest hotels in Cartagena. Sleek interior design makes use of original elements in contemporary formats. White washed archways framed by modern art, contemporary furnishings against exposed stone work etc. Award-winning restaurant, pool, and fresh suites.City StyleFoodiesSights nearby - Situated in the heart of the old TownSwimming Pool - Outdoor PoolsRecommended by - Tablet, Kiwi Collection, CN Traveller