- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Alexandria
Alexandria, Egypt’s ancient metropolis, has become the artistic and cultural centre of the country, and is therefore comparatively liberal. Sights include the Alexandria Museum and Bibliotecha Alexandria. It's a must for a younger generation. The best place to stay in Alexandria are luxury destinations that retain elements of Alexandria's history.
Alexandria was once Egypt's capital and home to Cleopatra and Alexander the Great. Many of its monuments, the Pharos Lighthouse, and the Great Libary, have since been swallowed (literally) by the sea and Nasser's nationalism in the 1960s. Very much a city in transition there is a growing youth culture of artists and writers. This is what makes Alexandria particularly liberal and it wouldn't be uncommon to see women without headscarves.
There are lots of old word cafes, museums, monuments, and excellent fish restaurants to explore.
The best places to stay in Alexandria are luxury hotels with elements of the old.
What Not To Miss
- Culture-vultures are spoilt for choice in Alexandria. In terms of museums, you need to visit the Bibliotheca Alexandra, the Royal Jewelry Museum, and the Alexandria National Museum.
- If you like a good historical site then the imposing,15th-century Fort Quaitbey is a must-see. The fascinating 2nd-century Catacombs of Kom el Shoqafa is another fascinating spot.
- Wander around the lovely gardens of Montazah Palace, home to King Faruk, the last Egyptian monarch.
The best places to stay in Alexandria
- Sofitel Cecil Alexandria - old world charm and romance. A classical facade with grand interiors, excellent French restaurant, on the sea's edge.
- Four Seasons Hotel Alexandria At San Stefano - gorgeous boutique suites are very romantic, top of the range spa, infinity pool, sea views. Excellent Lebanese and Italian cuisine.
For an apartment or villa
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- The best time to visit Alexandria is from May to June or September to November. when the average temperature is around 20-25°C.
- It's incredibly humid and busy during the summer so you might want to avoid coming at this time.
- Fly into Borg El Arab Airport, located about 25 miles southwest of the city, before taking a bus or a taxi to the centre.
- Alternatively, you can hire a car with Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our entire list of the best places to stay in Alexandria.
- Widen the net to include all our recommendations in Egypt.
- If you're still stuck, contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Alexandria
Steigenberger Hotel Cecil 86 rooms from £71Alexandria
An historic hotel with a classical facade and grand interiors. Old world romance and charm throughout. Rooms and suites have floor to ceiling windows, rich fabrics, antique furniture, and balconies with sea views. Two excellent restaurants. A romantic spot to explore Alexandria from.City StyleSights nearby - St. Mark's Coptic Cathedral, Bibliotheca Alexandrina, Alexandria Stadium, Qaitbay Fortress and Pompey's Pillar.Views - Great views from hotelLocal markets - Good for local colour.
Four Seasons Hotel Alexandria At San Stefano 118 rooms from £226Alexandria
A luxury Five Star hotel with boutique flair and an intimate atmosphere. Gorgeous suites, all individually decorated, mix tradition and modern comfort to stylish effect. Excellent Italian and Lebanese restaurants, top of the range cardio gym and spa, infinity pool with sea views. A stand out hotel.Foodies - Italian and Lebanese restaurants.5* Luxury - Very high service standards.City StyleSights nearby - Roman Amphitheatre.