Search the best hotels in Cairo
Cairo’s big city buzz complements the austerity of its pyramids and sand-covered tombs that mark it as the oldest civilisation in the world. A fast paced city, it holds together a 20 million-strong population, honking traffic, squawking street sellers, blankets of smog, and a general frenzy of activity. It is a city in transition that has all the sorts of quirks and hassles that make it so captivating. The best places to stay in Cairo are those that offer green spaces, roof top terraces with sea or Nile views and essences of Egypt! These might be charming boutique hotels, a budget place with balconies or a Five Stars hotel that has flair as well as good facilities.
Cairo is a bit East meets West. Islamic Cairo and Coptic Cairo form a rhizome of minarets - medieval schools, mosques, monasteries and ancient churches of the native Egyptian Christians. Wander through the streets to soak it all up and then visit the Egyptian Museum which houses the glittering artefacts of this melting pot.
For shopping Cairo offers a wealth of spice markets, antique bazaars, papyrus makers and bookbinders, funky jewellery sellers, plus purveyors of Egyptian cotton and silk kaftans. There truly is a treasure trove of things that you can bring home.
Taxi or metro are the easiest ways to get around Cairo, or take a felucca down the Nile, scenic and efficient! At least four days in the city is a must in order to really get a sense of this place. It is intense, take it slowly so as to not burn out in the first two days of arrival.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Cairo include a few boutique hotels and the obvious Five Star luxury destinations. Use our guide and start to plan your trip.
The best places to stay in Cairo
On a budget
- Gawharet Al Ahram Hotel in Cairo – simple rooms with charming balconies very close to the Giza pyramids.
- Talisman Hotel - full of character and charm. This hotel is great for those looking for an excellent low-cost option.
For a boutique experience
- Villa Belle Epoque – a charming country house. Colonial-style verandahs, romantic bedrooms, large garden with pool, traditional cuisine.
- Four Seasons First Residence Cairo - a grand hotel with glamourous flair. Opulent rooms and suites, views over the river, excellent Thai, Lebanese, and Italian restaurants.
- The Mena House Hotel - boutique luxury on a grand scale, close to the Pyramids in Giza. Romantic bedrooms, stunning gardens, excellent Italian restaurant.
- The Gabriel - a good choice for movers and shakers for its lively roof top bar and fine dining restaurant 'Salt'. The rooms are more glitzy glamour than stylish.
For Nile views
- Kempinski Nile Hotel - combining an unparalleled location on the Nile with stunning five-star luxury. This hotel embodies Egyptian grandeur.
- Four Seasons at Nile Plaza - a vision of modern luxury right on the Nile, from the superb restaurants to a deluxe spa, no expense is spared at this hotel.
For a private apartment
- Looking for a bit of additional privacy, explore the range of private apartments at our online partner Booking.com.
- International flights for Cairo all connect to Cairo International Airport.
- For those looking to hire a car, we recommend visiting our online partners Rentalcars.
- The best times to visit Cairo are in the months that bookend the summer. March to April and October to November are the months with warm temperatures, fewer crowds and cheaper hotel rates.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Cairo,
- Also you can extend your search and check out all our Egypt recommendations.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Cairo
Best Hotels in Cairo
Gawharet Al Ahram Hotel Cairo (Giza) 100 rooms from £14Value chicSights nearby - Close to the Pyramids in Giza, Cairo University, Giza Zoo, and First Mall Cairo.Local markets - Good for local colour.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.
Talisman Hotel Cairo 24 rooms from £49Value chicSailing - Cruise the Nile on a felucca.Sights nearby - Pyramids at Giza and Zosser.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - I Escape, Fodors
The Mena House Hotel Cairo 420 rooms from £85Foodies - Italian, Indian and traditional restaurants.Views - Spot the pyramids!Romantic BreakCity Style
The Gabriel Cairo 25 rooms from £86Foodies - Fusion Mediterranean and Asian.Lively - Bar and live music nights.Sights nearby - City Stars, Virgin Mary's Tree and Cairo International Stadium.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Tablet
Kempinski Nile Hotel Cairo (Garden City) 191 rooms from £101Lively - The hotel has its own nightclub on the roof top.Views - Stunning river views.City Style5* Luxury - Very high service standards.
A hotel in an unrivalled location on the river's edge. Five Star luxury includes a state of the art spa, a wonderful Italian restaurant, chocolaterie, and a lively roof top bar and nightclub. Contemporary classic rooms and suites are palatial with all the mod cons. For the luxury traveller. See More
Villa Belle Epoque Cairo (Maadi) 13 rooms from £130City StyleRomantic BreakSights nearby - Pyramids at Giza, Step Pyramid at Zosser, El Azhar mosque or Khan el Khalili.Sailing - Cruise the Nile on a felucca.Recommended by - I Escape
The best boutique hotel in Cairo. A country house with colonial verandas, a luscious garden, swimming pool, and an excellent traditional restaurant. Characterful rooms have antique furniture, delicate fabrics, and private balconies. Romantic, family friendly, a chic home from home. See More
Four Seasons First Residence Cairo Cairo 269 rooms from £142Foodies - Italian, Thai, Lebanese restaurants.Views - Stunning river views.Romantic BreakCity StyleRecommended by - Kiwi Collection
A grand Five Star hotel with a boutique feel to it. Centrally located with views over the Nile. Gorgeous rooms and suites with tasteful decoration, balconies, and all the mod cons. A choice of Italian, Thai and Lebanese restaurants. State of the art spa, pool and tennis courts. Very luxurious. See More
FOUR SEASONS CAIRO AT NILE PLAZA Cairo (Garden City) 366 rooms from £214Foodies - Italian, Chinese, traditional restaurants.Views - Stunning river views.Romantic BreakCity Style
A Five Star hotel in a fantastic riverside location. Luxurious rooms and suites with creamy furnishings, all the mod cons and balconies. A choice of Italian, Chinese or traditional restaurants. Two huge pools, terraces, excellent spa, and unrivalled views. For the luxury traveller. See More