Azay Le Rideau
Search the best hotels in Azay Le Rideau
About Azay Le Rideau
Lying at the foot of a hill on the banks of the Indre River, Azay-le-Rideau is a beautiful town with a rich and varied history. Our pick of the best places to stay in Azay Le Rideau is located right in the centre of the village, ideally placed for getting to know this charming spot.
The town centre is a winding maze of narrow streets, and further afield the area is filled with riverside Renaissance chateaux, rolling green vineyards and lush landscaped gardens. The church dedicated to Saint Symphorien is a microcosm of the sheer depths of her history: lying near a chateau, it is a composite of many different periods of history, with a 9th century Carolingian facade blended with Romanesque styles and 16th century Renaissance architecture.
The town itself has many restaurants, bars and gift shops and in the nearby area, you can go horse riding at the Centre Equestre d'Azay le Rideau, or visit a local winery like the Chateau de L'Aulee.
What Not to miss
- Azay-le-Rideau Chateau is one of the finest examples of Renaissance architecture in France. Built in the 16th century, it rises up through the river with great turrets and a sharp pointed roof. Once described as the "facet cut diamond set in the Indre", the castle is mirrored in the waters and has a romantic wooded park modelled on the wild beauty of the English countryside. State-owned since 1905, it has a Renaissance museum.
- The Chateau de l'Islette is a picturesque, smaller castle that is still inhabited by a family, but it has a wonderful museum and proves to be a great place for a picnic.
- Churches: dedicated to Saint Symphorien, the church stands near the town's chateau and is a wonderful blend of various styles from different periods.
- Caves: Le Vallee Troglodytique des Goupillieres are a great day out and the kids love it. Cave dwellings inhabited by farmers from the medieval era to 1903, it shows how these people lived and even allows you to taste the bread they ate and the apple juice they drank.
If you like Renaissance history, than this is the place for you. Surrounded by castles and steeped in history, it is a classically French village in the heart of the Loire Valley, making it ideal for not just lovers of history, but lovers of French culture: filled with wineries, riverside chateaus and great green parks. The best places to stay in Azay le Rideau will allow you to soak up both the culinary and cultural delights of the Loire.
The best places to stay in Azay le Rideau
- Le Grande Monarque: a delightful 18th century hotel in the heart of the town with 25 rooms awash in simple elegance. Ideal for exploring the sites.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments.
- The nearest airport is Val-de-Loire in Tours which is 26km away.
- The best time to go is during the summer months when the temperature ranges from 14 to 25 degrees celcius
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in the Loire Valley.
- Contact one of our Gurus.
Monthly Weather in Azay Le Rideau
Best Hotels in Azay Le Rideau
Le Grand Monarque Azay Le Rideau 25 rooms from £117Country Escape - A relaxing country escape in the Loire Valley, with plenty of walking, cycling and sightseeing nearby.Sights nearby - Visit the gorgeous castles of the Loire Valley such as Amboise, Blois, Azay-le-Rideau, Chenonceau or Chinon.Traditional
A delightful hotel set in an 18th century post house in the Loire Valley. Rooms are individually decorated and carry a simple elegance with exposed wooden beams and antique furnishings. Perfectly placed for exploring the rich history of the Loire such as the stunning nearby castles. A real gem. See More