Search the best hotels in Azay-le-Rideau
On the banks of the Indre River, Azay-le-Rideau is a beautiful historic town with winding streets lined with cafés and eateries, and some striking heritage architecture — including an imposing turreted castle. Accommodation options range from simple, self-catering spots to a chic boutique hotel close to the town centre. Well-located for exploring, the best places to stay in Azay-le-Rideau promise heaps of classic charm and easy access to a plethora of activities.
If you’re into history and culture, you’ll find the Château d'Azay-le-Rideau to be a real gem. Believed by many to be amongst the finest examples of Renaissance architecture in France, the 16th-century castle, built on an island in the river, boasts a marvellous museum as well as a romantic wooded park. The nearby Château de l'Islette is lovely, as is the Church of Saint Symphorien. For an insight into the cave dwellings once lived in by medieval farmers, head to the La Vallée Troglodytique des Goupillières — a sure-fire hit with the whole family.
Famed for its vineyards, the Loire Valley is ideal for wine tours and tastings. The nearby Château de l’Aulée is a great place to start! Cycle or walk between vineyards, go horse riding at the Centre Equestre d'Azay-le-Rideau, or enjoy boat trips and kayaking excursions along the river as a family. Whether you’re drawn to the region for its fabulous food or rich history, the best places to stay in Azay-le-Rideau offer a brilliant base for a relaxed French holiday to remember.
The Best Places to Stay in Azay-le-Rideau
For Boutique Chic
- Le Grand Monarque is a restored coaching inn, just 150m from the Château d'Azay-le-Rideau. Expect elegant interiors, a sunlit courtyard and a well-stocked wine bar where you can savour regional specialities paired with delectable charcuterie platters. Relaxed and romantic.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Tours Val de Loire Airport, 25 minutes from Azay-le-Rideau by taxi or bus. Alternatively, trains from Paris via Tours or Orléans take 3 to 4 hours.
- The Loire Valley is brilliant for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- You can expect the warmest weather between June and September. For a quieter trip and great hotel deals, come in the spring (April - May).
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Tours.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the Loire Valley.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Azay-le-Rideau
Best Hotels in Azay-le-Rideau
Le Grand Monarque Azay-le-Rideau 25 rooms from £117Country Escape - A relaxing country escape in the Loire Valley, with plenty of walking, cycling and sightseeing nearby.Sights nearby - Visit the gorgeous castles of the Loire Valley such as Amboise, Blois, Azay-le-Rideau, Chenonceau or Chinon.TraditionalRestaurant - Recommended.
A delightful hotel set in an 18th century post house in the Loire Valley. Rooms are individually decorated and carry a simple elegance with exposed wooden beams and antique furnishings. Perfectly placed for exploring the rich history of the Loire such as the stunning nearby castles. A real gem. See More