Ile de Re
Search the best hotels in Ile de Re
About Ile de Re
Connected to La Rochelle and the Charente-Maritime region by a slim, 3km-long road bridge, Île de Ré is a beautiful island in the Bay of Biscay. Known for its whitewashed villages, gorgeous beaches and ancient ramparts with panoramic sea views, this a terrific holiday destination. Whether you’re travelling as a couple or with friends and family, accommodation options are wide-ranging. Peruse our list of the best places to stay on Île de Ré for restored villas, boutique hotels and beachfront gems.
Most of the action is clustered around the fishing port of Saint Martin. Pop into little boutiques, galleries, bars and restaurants, or clamber up the narrow steps of the Eglise Saint Martin’s tower for magical views of the town and the ocean. Fill your bags with local produce, textiles and jewellery at the Marché Médieval, or venture further afield for bicycle rides and hikes. The 12th century Abbaye des Châteliers ruins are well worth visiting, too.
Lazy beach or boat days are an island highlight. Soak up the sunshine, stroll along the sand or hone your sailing skills. The best places to stay on Île de Ré fill up fast during the summer months; book your stay well in advance.
The Best Places to Stay in Île de Ré
For a Charming B&B
- Le Senechal offers a laid-back haven in tranquil Ars-en-Ré. There's a small plunge pool, pretty courtyards for sitting out, and elegant, well-priced rooms. A lovely B&B for couples, friends or families, with lots of classic French charm.
- Le Corps de Garde is a characterful B&B offering splendid views from the edge of Saint-Martin-de-Ré marina. The five spacious rooms ooze rustic charm, there are rejuvenating massages available, and the town's foodie and cultural attractions are right on your doorstep.
- La Maison Douce enjoys a quiet location, tucked away in a narrow street in Saint Martin. Quintessentially French country-style rooms boast private balconies and roll-top baths, and buffet breakfasts are devoured amidst the roses in the coutryard garden. Start your evening with cocktails at the onsite bar before heading out to eat in town.
- Le Clos St Martin has 33 beautiful bedrooms, two swimming pools — one specificially for families — and a rejuvenating spa. Unwind in absoltue bliss after days of hiking, cycling, fishing and adventuring with the whole family.
- Les Bois Flottais is a fun, contemporary hotel just minutes from the beach. Boasting chic, well-designed bedrooms — some with space for families — as well as two swimming pools, it's a brilliant spot for a holiday with the kids. There's also a great spa.
- La Baronnie is a magnificent 18th-century manor house with a beautiful garden. The 22 elegant rooms and suites offer flexible options for families, who will also appreciate the lounge, spa, swimming pool and bar. Full of character and set in the heart of Saint Martin.
For Romantic Luxury
- Le Richelieu is a sophisticated, 40-room hotel with spectacular ocean views and bright, elegant rooms — most featuring a private terrace. Boasting an inviting pool, a thalassotherapy spa and a Michelin-starred restaurant, this is a top spot for foodies and romantics.
- Villa Clarisse is a pretty manor house in Saint Martin, with nine nautically inspired rooms, a swimming pool and small spa. The intimate, laid-back feel makes this a luxurious couples' favourite.
- Hôtel de Toiras is situated in the port of Saint Martin, and offers fantastic ocean views from most of its 20 superb rooms. There’s also a heated outdoor pool, an in-room treatment menu and a fabulous fine dining restaurant. For heritage-minded couples.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to La Rochelle Airport, and travel into the city centre by car or bus. Alternatively, hop aboard a high-speed train from Paris; you'll be in La Rochelle in under 4 hours. There are regular buses from La Rochelle to Île de Ré.
- The Charente-Maritime area is brilliant for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Visit during the summer for the warmest weather (around 25°C) and most idyllic beach days — though this is the busiest time of year. For a more tranquil experience, avoid the school holidays and travel in the late spring or early autumn.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in La Rochelle.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Charente-Maritime.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Ile de Re
Best Hotels in Ile de Re
Le Senechal Ars en Ré, Ile de Re 24 rooms from £69Local markets - Visit the local antiques market in La Flotte.Sights nearby - Visit the renowned fortificationsQuirky - An experience!Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
In the centre of pretty, chic Ile de Ré, this is a very French, very laidback hotel which sprawls in a glorious hotch-potch of staircases & winding corridors. Rooms are quirkily decorated with designer flair; some with private terraces. There's a small pool, charming breakfasts, and quiet courtyards See More
Les Bois Flottais Le Bois Plage, Ile de Re 19 rooms from £71Beach Life - Nestled between the coast and the village, the hotel sits just minutes from a beautiful blue-flag beach.Local exploring - Hire a bicycle make the most of the extensive cycle tracks to explore the island on two wheels.Sights nearby - Anyone with an interest in the history of the island should explore the nearby Vauban Fortifications.Great walks - Wake up early and enjoy the beautiful walks along the beach five minutes from the hotel.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
A stylish contemporary hotel in Le Bois-Plage-en-Ré, just a short stroll from the beach. The hotel offers a serene atmosphere with fashionable, comfortable rooms, two swimming pools and massage treatments. With multi-person suites, it's perfect for a family holiday to Ile de Re. See More
La Maison Douce Saint-Martin-de-Ré, Ile de Re 14 rooms from £100Romantic Break - Whimsical rooms with roll-top baths and private balconies are ideal for loved onesSights nearby - The Vauban Fortifications are within ten minutes walk.Local markets - Explore the markets of Saint-Martin-de-Re.Full of character
Beautiful hotel nestled down a little street in Saint-Martin-de-Re. French country-style rooms with ambient lighting and white linens are filled with light from their private balconies. Roll-top baths complete the decor. There is a fragrant rose lined courtyard garden where breakfast is served. See More
La Baronnie Ile de Re 22 rooms from £150Spa - Heated pool, hot tub, sauna, tea corner.Four poster beds - For romantics.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.
This magnificent 18th-century manor house is surrounded by its own glorious garden. Beautiful, light rooms are tastefully decorated with antiques, wooden floors & all mod cons. Enjoy the bar, living rooms, library, spa and heated pool. A spacious and sophisticated base for exploring the Ile de Ré See More
Hôtel de Toiras Ile de Re 20 rooms from £165Sights nearby - Le Phare des Baleines, the most amazing panorama of the Ile de Ré. L'Abbaye des Chateliers, 12th century abbey.Fishing - Take a fishing trip, with a skipper and a sailor, and catch sea-breams and sea-bassBack to Nature - A natural bird reserve, La Maison du Fier is 14 km away.Restaurant - Fine dining at the Table d'OliviaRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Stunning location at the port of Saint Martin on the beautiful island of Ré. The immaculate, elegant rooms are a wonderfully peaceful environment with spectacular views of the ocean. The luxury continues with the hotel's heated outdoor pool, fantastic restaurant, and in room massages & treatments. See More
Le Corps de Garde Saint-Martin-de-Ré, Ile de Re 5 rooms from £165Local exploring - A characterful spot for exploring the history and culture of Ile de Re, as well as her beaches!Local markets - Explore the bustling markets of Saint-Martin-de-Ré and collect some regional treats to bring home with you.Sights nearby - History buffs should head off to explore the nearby Vauban Fortifications.Sailing - A great stopping point for a sailing trip around Ile de Re.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
Le Corps de Garde is a charming B&B lying on the edge of Saint-Martin-de-Ré harbour. The rooms are spacious and elegant, with many commanding views out over the marina. After a day on the beach, enjoy the range of relaxation therapies on offer at the guesthouse. Perfect for a romantic escape. See More
Le Clos St Martin, Ile de Re Ile de Re 33 rooms from £187Sights nearby - Enjoy a guided tour of Saint-Martin-de-RéSailing - Yachts and catamaran sailing.Swimming Pool - 2 heated swimming poolsSpa - New spa by Clarins
This hotel offers guests the chance to totally relax. Beautiful bedrooms are designed with harmonious tones, whitened furniture and oak flooring. Two heated swimming pools and the landscaped garden is the picture-perfect spot to unwind in. A range of treatments are available in the Clarins spa. See More
Villa Clarisse Il de Re, Ile de Re 9 rooms from £200Hideaway - 17th century house offers real seclusion, whilst pottering from the beach, to the outdoor pool and down to the Marina for dinnerSailing - Club des Dauphins-Antoine AlbeaGreat walks - Down to St-Martin HarborSurfing - Suitable beaches nearby.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Pretty country house close to the beach. Light, modern rooms have wooden floors, cream and nautical colourings with French antiques dotted about. Outdoor pool, gardens and spa treatments. Excellent American breakfast buffets, served outside if possible. Chic and laid back, ideal for a weekend. See More
Le Richelieu Ile de Re 40 rooms from £304Restaurant - Frédéric Mauchien, the chef, and Jocelyn Dhuicque, the pastry chef, rival each other in creativity. Panoramic ocean viewSpa - A thalassotherapy spa: from the Greek thalassa (the sea), uses sea elements for beauty and well-being.Swimming Pool - Indoor & large outdoor poolViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - CN Traveller
A large sophisticated hotel with breathtaking views over the ocean. The rooms are bright and elegant with sea or garden views, most with their own terrace. It boasts its own pool, thalassotherapy spa and Michelin-starred restaurant. The whole place oozes quality and relaxation. See More