Ile de Re
Search the best hotels in Ile de Re
About Ile de Re
Connected by a slim, 3km long road bridge to La Rochelle and the Charente-Maritime region, the Île de Ré is a thin strip of sunny gorgeousness known for its whitewashed villages, spectacular ocean views, old ramparts and peaceful, beachside atmosphere. Our Guru’s selection of the best places to stay on the Île de Ré include some rather luxurious small hotels, beautiful, but reasonably priced old villas and some properties with seriously amazing ocean views.
As well as enjoying the pleasures of the main town, the fishing port of Saint Martin, with its fantastic ramparts and streets filled with little boutiques, galleries, craft shops, bars and restaurants, visitors to the Île de Ré should also make time to go round to the south side. This is where you'll find all the best sandy, sloping beaches, and is a good place to try a spot of riding, surfing or golf.
What Not To Miss
- Climb up the narrow steps of the church tower of the Eglise Saint Martin to marvel at the wonderful panoramic views of St Martin and the whole island. Be sure to remember your camera!
- Go for a bike ride or a hike through the poppy fields to the see the historic ruins of L'Abbaye des Chateliers, a picturesque spot.
- Bring along a picnic and spend the afternoon at the lovely Plage de la Conche des Baleines.
- Wander around the Marche Medieval, a typical village market with various stalls selling locally made produce as well as jewellery and clothing.
The best places to stay on the Île de Ré do get busy during peak season, so it’s worth booking ahead. Use our guide to the top properties on the island and start planning your summer getaway.
- The 20-room Hôtel de Toiras is situated in the port of Saint Martin, and offers fantastic ocean views from almost all of the elegant rooms. There’s also a heated outdoor pool, an in-room treatment menu and a fantastic restaurant.
- La Maison Douce enjoys a quiet location, tucked away in a narrow street in Saint Martin. Their quintessentially French country-style rooms boast private balconies and roll-top baths, whilst you can enjoy breakfast each morning in the picturesque rose lined courtyard.
- Le Corps de Garde is a characterful B&B offering splendid views over the marina. Their spacious rooms ooze rustic charm and there are a number of relaxation therapies to help you feel a million miles away from all your worries.
For a beach break
- The Villa Clarisse is a pretty country house with nine nautical rooms, a pool, gardens and small spa, plus it’s just a short stroll to the beach.
- Les Bois Flottais is a contemporary hotel just minutes from the beach. Boasting chic, well-designed bedrooms as well as two swimming pools, you can also unwind with a massage for utter relaxation! A lovely stay.
For Complete Relaxation
- Le Richelieu is a sophisticated, 40-room hotel with spectacular ocean views and bright, elegant rooms - most featuring a private terrace. It also has a pool, thalassotherapy spa and a Michelin starred restaurant.
- Le Clos St Martin has 33 beautiful bedrooms with plate, neutral decor, two heated pools, peaceful landscaped gardens and a Clarins spa.
For great value
- La Baronnie is a magnificent, 18th Century manor house surrounded by its own beautiful gardens. Inside are 22 light and airy reasonably priced rooms with all the mod cons plus there’s a living room, library, spa and heated pool.
- Le Senechal offers a laidback haven whose rooms are decorated with flair and style. There's a small plunge pool, pretty courtyards for sitting out, and Ars-en-Re's restaurants and bars are just a short stroll. What's more, rooms start from as little as €79 per night.
For An Apartment Or holiday Villa
- If you think a self-catering option would best suit your needs then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- The weather is at its best during the peak summer season, with the average temperature climbing to 22°C in August.
- But if you want to avoid fellow tourists then early autumn is a better bet - the weather's still around 20°C, so it's perfectly pleasant.
- Ryanair fly from Stansted to La Rochelle, whilst Jet2, Flybe and Easyjet also fly here from a number of UK airports.
- To get to Île de Ré from La Rochelle you can hop on the bus from outside the SNCF railway station which takes you directly there.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay on the Île de Ré.
- Expand your search to include out recommendations for the best places to stay in La Rochelle.
- Or, contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Ile de Re
Best Hotels in Ile de Re
Le Senechal Ars en Ré, Ile de Re 24 rooms from £69Local markets - Visit the local antiques market in La Flotte.Sights nearby - Visit the renowned fortificationsQuirky - An experience!Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
In the centre of pretty, chic Ile de Ré, this is a very French, very laidback hotel which sprawls in a glorious hotch-potch of staircases & winding corridors. Rooms are quirkily decorated with designer flair; some with private terraces. There's a small pool, charming breakfasts, and quiet courtyards See More
Les Bois Flottais Le Bois Plage, Ile de Re 19 rooms from £71Beach Life - Nestled between the coast and the village, the hotel sits just minutes from a beautiful blue-flag beach.Local exploring - Hire a bicycle make the most of the extensive cycle tracks to explore the island on two wheels.Sights nearby - Anyone with an interest in the history of the island should explore the nearby Vauban Fortifications.Great walks - Wake up early and enjoy the beautiful walks along the beach five minutes from the hotel.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
A stylish contemporary hotel in Le Bois-Plage-en-Ré, just a short stroll from the beach. The hotel offers a serene atmosphere with fashionable, comfortable rooms, two swimming pools and massage treatments. With multi-person suites, it's perfect for a family holiday to Ile de Re. See More
La Maison Douce Saint-Martin-de-Ré, Ile de Re 14 rooms from £100Romantic Break - Whimsical rooms with roll-top baths and private balconies are ideal for loved onesSights nearby - The Vauban Fortifications are within ten minutes walk.Local markets - Explore the markets of Saint-Martin-de-Re.Full of character
Beautiful hotel nestled down a little street in Saint-Martin-de-Re. French country-style rooms with ambient lighting and white linens are filled with light from their private balconies. Roll-top baths complete the decor. There is a fragrant rose lined courtyard garden where breakfast is served. See More
La Baronnie Ile de Re 22 rooms from £150Spa - Heated pool, hot tub, sauna, tea corner.Four poster beds - For romantics.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.
This magnificent 18th-century manor house is surrounded by its own glorious garden. Beautiful, light rooms are tastefully decorated with antiques, wooden floors & all mod cons. Enjoy the bar, living rooms, library, spa and heated pool. A spacious and sophisticated base for exploring the Ile de Ré See More
Hôtel de Toiras Ile de Re 20 rooms from £165Sights nearby - Le Phare des Baleines, the most amazing panorama of the Ile de Ré. L'Abbaye des Chateliers, 12th century abbey.Fishing - Take a fishing trip, with a skipper and a sailor, and catch sea-breams and sea-bassBack to Nature - A natural bird reserve, La Maison du Fier is 14 km away.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Stunning location at the port of Saint Martin on the beautiful island of Ré. The immaculate, elegant rooms are a wonderfully peaceful environment with spectacular views of the ocean. The luxury continues with the hotel's heated outdoor pool, fantastic restaurant, and in room massages & treatments. See More
Le Corps de Garde Saint-Martin-de-Ré, Ile de Re 5 rooms from £165Local exploring - A characterful spot for exploring the history and culture of Ile de Re, as well as her beaches!Local markets - Explore the bustling markets of Saint-Martin-de-Ré and collect some regional treats to bring home with you.Sights nearby - History buffs should head off to explore the nearby Vauban Fortifications.Sailing - A great stopping point for a sailing trip around Ile de Re.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
Le Corps de Garde is a charming B&B lying on the edge of Saint-Martin-de-Ré harbour. The rooms are spacious and elegant, with many commanding views out over the marina. After a day on the beach, enjoy the range of relaxation therapies on offer at the guesthouse. Perfect for a romantic escape. See More
Le Clos St Martin Ile de Re 33 rooms from £187Sights nearby - Enjoy a guided tour of Saint-Martin-de-RéSailing - Yachts and catamaran sailing.Swimming Pool - 2 heated swimming poolsSpa - New spa by Clarins
This hotel offers guests the chance to totally relax. Beautiful bedrooms are designed with harmonious tones, whitened furniture and oak flooring. Two heated swimming pools and the landscaped garden is the picture-perfect spot to unwind in. A range of treatments are available in the Clarins spa. See More
Villa Clarisse Il de Re, Ile de Re 9 rooms from £200Hideaway - 17th century house offers real seclusion, whilst pottering from the beach, to the outdoor pool and down to the Marina for dinnerSailing - Club des Dauphins-Antoine AlbeaGreat walks - Down to St-Martin HarborSurfing - Suitable beaches nearby.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Pretty country house close to the beach. Light, modern rooms have wooden floors, cream and nautical colourings with French antiques dotted about. Outdoor pool, gardens and spa treatments. Excellent American breakfast buffets, served outside if possible. Chic and laid back, ideal for a weekend. See More
Le Richelieu Ile de Re 40 rooms from £304Spa - A thalassotherapy spa: from the Greek thalassa (the sea), uses sea elements for beauty and well-being.Swimming Pool - Indoor & large outdoor poolViews - Great views from hotelSailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - CN Traveller
A large sophisticated hotel with breathtaking views over the ocean. The rooms are bright and elegant with sea or garden views, most with their own terrace. It boasts its own pool, thalassotherapy spa and Michelin-starred restaurant. The whole place oozes quality and relaxation. See More