Search the best hotels in Lyon
Set between the winding Rhône and Saône Rivers in Rhône-Alpes, marvellous Lyon has evolved from the Roman capital of Gaul to become a lively food and arts destination with a buzzy medieval heart. A plethora of accommodation options await both business and leisure travellers, ranging from cheerful heritage B&Bs to sumptuous former convents with Michelin-starred eateries. Our list of the best places to stay in Lyon is a wonderful starting point for planning your trip!
Strolls through the cobbled streets of Lyon’s Old Town, on the Saône’s western bank, are a must. This is a fascinating neighbourhood, brimming with cafés, bars and eateries. Foodies will also adore the restaurants dotted along the 19th-century boulevards of central Lyon, the popular wholesale market, and the riverside food markets where locals gather to taste and haggle over fresh seasonal produce. To savour traditional stews and sausages, pick a perch at a ‘bouchon’ — the city’s classic twist on the pub and bistro — and tuck in.
For a sense of the city’s history, look to the Gallo-Roman Museum and visit Lyon’s ancient theatres. The Musée des Beaux-Arts houses a terrific collection, whilst the Musée Lumière, the Musée des Confluences and the WWII Museum are also particular stand-outs. As with many French cities, the best places to stay in Lyon fill up fast during the summer months and the school holidays, so book your holiday well in advance.
The Best Places to Stay in Lyon
For a Characterful B&B
- Hotel Bayard Bellecour has sumptuous rooms and suites inspired by the rich history of this fascinating city. Think antique pieces, beds with headboards upholstered in patterned fabrics, and bathrooms with big tubs. Generous breakfasts set you up for the day.
- Hotel Silky is a bright, cheerful B&B with nods to Lyon's Silk Route heritage in its 46 rooms, each characterised by painted walls and clean lines. Gather for breakfast before heading out to explore one of central Lyon's trendiest districts.
For City Style
- College Hotel, in Old Lyon, is a 1930s-style hotel with an unusual school theme. All-white rooms have striking city views, and some have priate terraces. The communal areas, eateries and meeting rooms take the traditional scholarly theme a step further, with desks, leather armchairs and boards for presentations. Great for work or play.
- Globe et Cecil has 59 rooms, each uniquely appointed and set just 50 metres from Place Bellecour. Whether you're dreaming of timeless charm or a fresh, modern feel, this spot has it all. Meeting rooms make this an excellent choice for a business trip or event. There's also a lovely restaurant.
- Okko Lyon Pont Lafayette has chic, minimalist rooms and suites and impressive views over the Rhone River. Just across the bridge from the city centre, this is a hip bolthole for business or leisure, with an inviting lounge and work spaces.
- Fourvière Hotel is another great city base, this time with dedicated family rooms and suites. The interiors or this former convent are bright and bold, and there's a swimming pool, spa and restaurant.
For Food-Focused Luxury
- Villa Florentine is a beautiful former convent, now housing 29 elegant rooms and suites. The spa and outdoor pool are superb, but the real highlight is the Michelin-starred Les Terrasses de Lyon Restaurant. Try the lunchtime Menu des Terrasses for fresh, innovative flavours in a striking setting overlooking Lyon's rooftops.
- Villa Maïa promises a five-star stay with sophisticated rooms and suites on Fourvière Hill. Unwind at the in-house spa — complete with indoor pool — before feasting at Michelin-starred partner restaurant Têtedoie, where Chef Christian Têtedoie crafts culinary delights aplenty. The five-course Inspiration Menu is marvellous.
- Hotel Le Royal, on Bellecour Square, has classic interiors and an excellent restaurant. Its gastronomic Ecole de Cusine, however, is reason enough for foodies to visit. Check out available courses as you plan your stay at this traditional gem.
- Pavillon de la Rotonde is a curious fusion of 1930s architecture and more modern elements, situated in verdant Charbonnières-les-Bains, not far from Lyon. A sumptuous spa retreat, the hotel also prides itself on its Michelin-starred cuisine, under the guidance of Chef Jean-François Malle.
For a Tranquil Retreat
- Maison D'Anthouard is a beautiful 17th-century manor house with leafy gardens, welcoming events spaces and fabulous hosts. The 18 rooms are swish and contemporary, with crisp white linens and a largely monochromatic palette, whilst the wine bar has a more moody feel. The restaurant's seasonal dishes are excellent. A tranquil retreat for well-heeled romantics.
For Great Value
- Mama Shelter offers quirky, modern rooms at great rates. Perfect for group & family holidays or for independent travellers in search of a bit of a buzz, the hotel has lively games areas, a restaurant and sociable bar. An eclectic yet affordable choice.
- Mob Hotel Lyon Confluence has 98 theatrical rooms with a funky, industrial feel in a modern building set in Lyon's regenerated docks. Music nights get the party started, and the restaurant serves very good organic cuisine. Very cool and well-priced.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY HOUSE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly into Lyon Airport, 20km southeast of the city, and travel into the centre by bus or taxi.
- Whilst Lyon has excellent public transport links, it's well worth having your own transport if you're eager to explore beyond the city centre. Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Summer is by far the most popular time for exploring the city, with temperatures peaking at around 22°C in July and August. Spring and autumn are quieter and cooler.
Still not sure?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Grenoble.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Rhône-Alpes.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Lyon
Best Hotels in Lyon
Mama Shelter, Lyon Lyon 156 rooms from £43City StyleContemporaryLocal markets - Good for local colour.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Tablet
Hotel Silky Lyon 46 rooms from £80Outstanding location - Very central and close to Cordeliers metro stationLocal markets - Good for local colour.
Sitting right in the heart of Lyon, in a fashionable area, this 4* property is a perfect base for shopping and sightseeing. Forty-six cheerful rooms in modern style have quirky touches reflecting Lyon's Silk Route heritage. The metro is nearby, and excellent restaurants lie within walking distance. See More
Mob Hotel Lyon Confluence Lyon 98 rooms from £86Quirky - The building is full of visual surprisesLocal markets - 10 minutes walk from a shopping centreRestaurant - Delicious organic foodLively - Hip and happening.
A stylish hotel that's the epitome of industrial chic. The 98 comfortable rooms feature crisp contemporary decor, and quirky theatrical touches pop up everywhere. Restaurant serves delicious organic food. With music nights and other happenings, it’s perfect for couples, families, groups of friends. See More
Hotel Bayard Bellecour Lyon 22 rooms from £99City Style - A chic hotel right in the heart of Lyon, offering elegant rooms within walking distance of the main sights.Local markets - The Lyon Sunday market is especially worth a visit, head down and check out the fantastic regional produce for sale.
An elegant hotel on the edge of Place Bellecour, in the heart of Lyon. Each room is individually decorated and with chic wallpaper and soft furnishings. Wake up each morning to a buffet breakfast before going off and exploring the city's sights or make the most out of the nearby shopping. See More
Okko Lyon Pont Lafayette Lyon 85 rooms from £104Local exploring - Perfect for exploring this fascinating city, within walking distance of Lyon's Old Town and Saint-Jean-Baptiste Cathedral.City Style - A cool and contemporary design hotel, in the centre of the city, offering a chic club lounge and views over the river.Sights nearby - Twenty minutes walk from the sights of Lyon's Old Town and ten from Place du Maréchal Lyautey square.Views - Great views from hotel
A chic contemporary hotel overlooking the river Rhone. Rooms are stylishly designed in a distinctly minimalist and modern fashion. With the city centre on your doorstep it's the perfect bolthole for exploring the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Lyon's old town. A hip choice. See More
Fourvière Hotel Lyon 75 rooms from £108Sights nearby - Close to Roman amphitheatre, a short distance from Fourvière Basilica, and a funicular ride from Vieux LyonRestaurant - Two Restaurants. Les Téléphones serves bistronomic cuisine and Le Bouchon serves Lyonnaise cuisineOutstanding location - Location is great for travellers interested in history, local food and architecture.Views - Located on Fourvière Hill above the Old Town of Lyon, offering views over the city
Perched above Lyon, this magnificent 4* hotel in a 19th-century convent brilliantly blends historic structure with contemporary art and design. Set in a park, it’s away from the hubbub yet close to the Roman sites and Vieux Lyon. More plus points - two fine restaurants, a pool, and an excellent spa. See More
Maison d'Anthouard Lyon 18 rooms from £125City Style - A stylish base just outside the centre of Lyon.Restaurant - Serves lunch daily and then lighter planchas and tapas in the eveningsSights nearby - Basilica of Notre-Dame de FourvièreLocal markets - Lyon - Passage Thiaffait
Boutique hotel just 15 minutes from Lyon city centre with garden, wine bar and restaurant. Bedrooms are spacious with striking contemporary design and modern simplicity. A peaceful garden outside the city with lovely greenery. The restaurant offers a selection of seasonal dishes. See More
College Hotel Lyon 39 rooms from £108Meeting Room - Excellent variety of meeting rooms.Sights nearby - Located in the heart of the old townLocal markets - Good for local colour.Restaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Fodors, Sawdays
Striking 'school' themed hotel in central Lyon. Contemporary rooms all in white with great views over the city, some with private terraces. A 'Refectory' themed bar and restaurant. An excellent variety of meeting rooms make it ideal for business visitors looking for something less corporate. See More
Hotel le Royal Lyon 74 rooms from £113City StyleSights nearby - Very central location between the riversCooking classes - Lunch time cookery schoolLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Tablet
Pavillon de la Rotonde Lyon 16 rooms from £148Foodies - Two Michelin starred restaurantSwimming Pool - Heated indoor pool and hot tubSights nearby - On the outskirts of LyonViews - Great views from hotel
Pavillon de la Rotonde has 5 stars for a reason. Its spa facilities allow you to enter a state of complete zen, as does its gardens. Interiors are a wonderful hybrid of 1930s and highly contemporary decor, and each room is delicately furnished to provide the perfect place to chill out. See More
Globe et Cecil Lyon 60 rooms from £161Sights nearby - Located in the centre of LyonLocal markets - Good for local colour.
Villa Florentine Lyon 28 rooms from £191Gourmet - Michelin starred restaurantCity StyleSwimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolRestaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Villa Maia Lyon (5th arr) 37 rooms from £390Spa breaks - There is a wellness centre, with hot tub, sauna, steam-room, gym and swimming poolSights nearby - Take a stroll to visit the striking Fourvière BasilicaGreat walks - Stroll through Lyon's pretty Unesco-protected old townViews - Situated on a hill with panoramic views of the city