Search the best hotels in Lyon
Lyon is THE destination for foodies. Melting pot for top international chefs, Lyon has a lively eating and drinking scene which continues into a post-restaurant-closing hours scene when restaurant staff enjoy their own eating and drinking. As well as rich Lyonnaise cooking, this city is rich in culture, with plenty of history to uncover, art to experience, treasures to purchase and even civilised strolling to be done. The Hotel Guru's selection of the best places to stay in Lyon has something for everyone from the budget bolthole to the truly luxurious city pad with Michelin-starred cuisine.
What To Expect
Lyon's stylish centre sits between the Rhône and Saône rivers, an elegant web of boulevards built in the 19th century, on which you'll find cafes and boutiques.
Despite Lyon's reputation as a commercial and industrial powerhouse, its position between two rivers allows for plenty of opportunities for scenic strolling. The towpath along the Rhône's left bank is especially nice. If your idea of perfect French civility involves mature gentlemen playing petanque and boating lakes, then this is the promenade for you.
Unlike other cities, the oldest part of town isn't at the heart of the modern city - the cobbled alleys of the medieval Old Town is on the Saône's west bank. This is a slightly quirkier area, and if you're looking for something unusual then this area, and especially the Rue de Boeuf, is the place to come. The Old Town is also full of restaurants.
The 'newest' part of Lyon - because of redevelopment - is the Confluence. This is another good spot for restaurants and is best reached by ferry, mostly because the views of the petanque parks and the city's architectural peaks are charming.
While Lyon's collection of art, historical treasures and architecture are certainly impressive, this city is really famous for food. There's one stretch of riverside which just seems to be food market after food market.
The bouchons, a sort of cross between a pub and a bistro, are great places to try the amazing local stews and sausages. They vary in decor and sophistication, but bear in mind that some of them have Michelin stars… Of course you'll also find fine examples of the latest international culinary trends here. In fact many of them were probably started here.
What Not To Miss
- The really ancient part of Lyon, the Roman bit - Lyon was once the Roman capital of Gaul - is best reached using the funicular from Vieux Lyon metro station. The highlights are the Roman ruins: there are two theatres here, capable of seating 13,000 people, and the Gallo-Roman museum.
- Lyon's other great museums are the Musée des Beaux-Arts - which houses works by Renoir, Degas, Monet, Pissarro and Cezanne; The Musée Lumière - where cinema began; the Musée des Confluences - an ambitious science and technology museum; and the WWII museum.
- Les Halles de Lyon Paul Bocuse, Lyon's purpose-built wholesale market, is a great place to start if you're here on a culinary pilgrimage - treated like a giant pick and mix by the locals who you'll find eating at the stand up tables. Bursting with specialist stalls and local producers with hundreds of years of experience this covered market is full of goodies.
Given its year-round popularity as a tourist destination, to avoid disappointment make sure to book ahead - the best places to stay in Lyon get quickly filled up!
- Top choice for a central location, the Hotel le Royal doesn't just have a great restaurant, it's also has a lunchtime cooking school. Classical elegance, and everything you could need.
- Cour des Loges is grander. In fact it's nothing short of spectacular. More than just beautiful, the decor here borders on the theatrical. Five stars worth of individualised decor, hand painted murals and silk tapestries and a Michelin star restaurant. Romantic and special. Without a doubt one of the best places to stay in Lyon!
For a city break
- The College Hotel is a design hotel lite, with a school theme which ends up being quite chic. The rooms are all white and have excellent views, some with private terraces as well. The communal areas, cafes and restaurants make you imagine your school was more Hogwarts than Grange Hill.
- For city sophistication, try the Globe et Cecil, a 60 room contemporary townhouse hotel right in the centre of Lyon.
- Hotel Bayard Bellecour is a smart stay in a superb location, boasting individually decorated rooms with tasteful furnishings and offering buffet breakfasts each morning to set you up for the day.
- Wonderfully located overlooking the Rhone and offering stylish contemporary rooms, Okko Lyon Pont Lafayette is a top choice. Hip and chic.
Just Outside Town
- If you don't fancy the hustle and bustle of Lyon's centre then consider staying at Maison D'Anthouard. The rooms are chic and contemporary, whilst there's also a lovely garden and a restaurant serving up seasonal dishes.
- Les Hautes Bruyeres, a ten minute drive outside the centre of town, provides rustic chic accommodation as well as a lovely outdoor pool. You can even spend the night in a gypsy caravan if you so desire! A charming stay.
On a Budget
- Lyon's Mama Shelter is what many of us imagine Google HQ might be like - plenty of technology, not a huge amount of space, but fun use of what there is. And rooms start from just £41 per night.
For Special Occasions
- Converted from a convent, the Villa Florentine now offers every luxury and comfort imaginable. There's a gourmet restaurant, a spa and outdoor pool, and all with spectacular views over Lyon.
- The 5* Pavillon De La Rotonde boasts gorgeous rooms, a state-of-the-art spa and lovely gardens. And, they've even got a two Michelin-starred restaurant to boot! Dreamy.
For An Apartment Or Holiday Home
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner Booking.com.
- Lyon's nicest weather-wise in the summer, with the average daily temperature reaching 22°C in July.
- This however is peak season, so for a quieter (albeit still warm enough to head off sightseeing) alternative consider coming in May, September or October.
- Visitors can fly into Lyon Airport, 20 km southeast of the city and well served by public transport links to the centre.
- easyJet fly direct to Lyon from Luton and Gatwick, British Airways from Heathrow and Flybe from Southend.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Lyon.
- Widen the net to search through our recommendations across the border in Geneva or in Grenoble.
- Alternatively, feel free to contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Lyon
Best Hotels in Lyon
Mama Shelter, Lyon Lyon 156 rooms from £43City StyleContemporaryLocal markets - Good for local colour.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Tablet
Hotel Silky Lyon 46 rooms from £80Outstanding location - Very central and close to Cordeliers metro stationLocal markets - Good for local colour.
Sitting right in the heart of Lyon, in a fashionable area, this 4* property is a perfect base for shopping and sightseeing. Forty-six cheerful rooms in modern style have quirky touches reflecting Lyon's Silk Route heritage. The metro is nearby, and excellent restaurants lie within walking distance. See More
Mob Hotel Lyon Confluence Lyon 98 rooms from £86Quirky - The building is full of visual surprisesLocal markets - 10 minutes walk from a shopping centreRestaurant - Delicious organic foodLively - Hip and happening.
A stylish hotel that's the epitome of industrial chic. The 98 comfortable rooms feature crisp contemporary decor, and quirky theatrical touches pop up everywhere. Restaurant serves delicious organic food. With music nights and other happenings, it’s perfect for couples, families, groups of friends. See More
Hotel Bayard Bellecour Lyon 22 rooms from £99City Style - A chic hotel right in the heart of Lyon, offering elegant rooms within walking distance of the main sights.Local markets - The Lyon Sunday market is especially worth a visit, head down and check out the fantastic regional produce for sale.
An elegant hotel on the edge of Place Bellecour, in the heart of Lyon. Each room is individually decorated and with chic wallpaper and soft furnishings. Wake up each morning to a buffet breakfast before going off and exploring the city's sights or make the most out of the nearby shopping. See More
Okko Lyon Pont Lafayette Lyon 85 rooms from £104Local exploring - Perfect for exploring this fascinating city, within walking distance of Lyon's Old Town and Saint-Jean-Baptiste Cathedral.City Style - A cool and contemporary design hotel, in the centre of the city, offering a chic club lounge and views over the river.Sights nearby - Twenty minutes walk from the sights of Lyon's Old Town and ten from Place du Maréchal Lyautey square.Views - Great views from hotel
A chic contemporary hotel overlooking the river Rhone. Rooms are stylishly designed in a distinctly minimalist and modern fashion. With the city centre on your doorstep it's the perfect bolthole for exploring the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Lyon's old town. A hip choice. See More
Fourvière Hotel Lyon 75 rooms from £108Sights nearby - Close to Roman amphitheatre, a short distance from Fourvière Basilica, and a funicular ride from Vieux LyonRestaurant - Two Restaurants. Les Téléphones serves bistronomic cuisine and Le Bouchon serves Lyonnaise cuisineOutstanding location - Location is great for travellers interested in history, local food and architecture.Views - Located on Fourvière Hill above the Old Town of Lyon, offering views over the city
Perched above Lyon, this magnificent 4* hotel in a 19th-century convent brilliantly blends historic structure with contemporary art and design. Set in a park, it’s away from the hubbub yet close to the Roman sites and Vieux Lyon. More plus points - two fine restaurants, a pool, and an excellent spa. See More
Maison d'Anthouard Lyon 18 rooms from £125City Style - A stylish base just outside the centre of Lyon.Restaurant - Serves lunch daily and then lighter planchas and tapas in the eveningsSights nearby - Basilica of Notre-Dame de FourvièreLocal markets - Lyon - Passage Thiaffait
Boutique hotel just 15 minutes from Lyon city centre with garden, wine bar and restaurant. Bedrooms are spacious with striking contemporary design and modern simplicity. A peaceful garden outside the city with lovely greenery. The restaurant offers a selection of seasonal dishes. See More
College Hotel Lyon 39 rooms from £108Meeting Room - Excellent variety of meeting rooms.Sights nearby - Located in the heart of the old townLocal markets - Good for local colour.Restaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Fodors, Sawdays
Striking 'school' themed hotel in central Lyon. Contemporary rooms all in white with great views over the city, some with private terraces. A 'Refectory' themed bar and restaurant. An excellent variety of meeting rooms make it ideal for business visitors looking for something less corporate. See More
Les Hautes Bruyeres Lyon 5 rooms from £113Hideaway - Cosy rooms, private gardens or your very own gypsy caravan to retreat to.Sights nearby - Basilica of Notre-Dame de FourvièreCooking classes - Bocuse cookery school in villageLocal markets - Explore the local daily marketRecommended by - Sawdays
Charming guest house with pleasant garden and outdoor pool just 10 minutes drive from central Lyon. Rooms are rustic yet sophisticated with white washed walls & stylish furnishings. For something completely different you can spend the night in a gypsy caravan! Plenty of great restaurants nearby. See More
Hotel le Royal Lyon 74 rooms from £113City StyleSights nearby - Very central location between the riversCooking classes - Lunch time cookery schoolLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Tablet
Pavillon de la Rotonde Lyon 16 rooms from £148Foodies - Two Michelin starred restaurantSwimming Pool - Heated indoor pool and hot tubSights nearby - On the outskirts of LyonViews - Great views from hotel
Pavillon de la Rotonde has 5 stars for a reason. Its spa facilities allow you to enter a state of complete zen, as does its gardens. Interiors are a wonderful hybrid of 1930s and highly contemporary decor, and each room is delicately furnished to provide the perfect place to chill out. See More
Globe et Cecil Lyon 60 rooms from £161Sights nearby - Located in the centre of LyonLocal markets - Good for local colour.
Cour des Loges Lyon 61 rooms from £187Foodies - Michelin stars.City Style5* Luxury - Very high service standards.GourmetRecommended by - Fodors, Kiwi Collection, Small Luxury Hotels
Villa Florentine Lyon 28 rooms from £191Gourmet - Michelin starred restaurantCity StyleSwimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolRestaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Villa Maia Lyon (5th arr) 37 rooms from £390Spa breaks - There is a wellness centre, with hot tub, sauna, steam-room, gym and swimming poolSights nearby - Take a stroll to visit the striking Fourvière BasilicaGreat walks - Stroll through Lyon's pretty Unesco-protected old townViews - Situated on a hill with panoramic views of the city