Search the best hotels in Nantes
Once France’s largest port — and Brittany’s foremost city — Nantes has an intriguing history as a trading hub at the confluence of the mighty Loire and Erdre Rivers. First settled during the Bronze Age, this bustling metropolis is now a fascinating university town with a rich cultural life — and a wonderful destination for a French city break as a couple, or with friends and family. History buffs, art lovers and foodies will delight in the city’s museums, galleries, restaurants and bars, whilst outdoorsy travellers can go cycling, sailing or hit the beach. Whether you’re dreaming of cosy farmhouse hideaways just out of town or hip city hotels, our selection of the best places to stay in Nantes has it all.
Get your bearings with a visit to the imposing 15th-century Cathédrale St-Pierre et St-Paul and discover the city’s history at the Château des Ducs de Bretagne or the sobering Memorial to the Abolition of Slavery, close to the old port. The Jules Verne Museum and the Nantes Printing Museum will thrill literature lovers of all ages, whilst Musée d’Arts and Le Cale 2 Créateurs are must-sees for art enthusiasts. Nature-focused families will adore the Natural History Museum and the Garden des Plantes — one of France’s most exquisite botanical gardens. To immerse yourself in a quirky, whimsical world, head straight for the magical Les Machines de l’Ile de Nantes.
Stroll Nantes’ attractive streets to savour fantastic food, sip crisp Muscadet wine in trendy hole-in-the-wall bars, and party the night away in the city’s hottest hangouts. Admire the mansions of Ile Feydeau, the architecture of La Place Mellinet and the fishing cottages of Trentemoult on your wanderings. Boat trips on the river are wonderful, too, and there are opportunities to cycle, walk and horse ride — as well as to enjoy wine tastings — in the area, before returning to the best places to stay in Nantes.
The Best Places to Stay in Nantes
For City Style
- OKKO Nantes Château is a cool, contemporary pad with floor-to-ceiling windows, retro-inspired furniture and atmoshperic lighting. Sip complimentary aperitifs in the trendy lounge after kicking back in the sauna. A hip crashpad for couples or independent travellers. Very indulgent.
- La Pérouse is a sleek hotel in central Nantes. Expect chic, white-on-white interiors in light-filled rooms with imposing modern art pieces. Buffet breakfasts of seasonal organic produce are a great way to start the day. The bar and meeting spaces are a welcome addition for business travellers or friends on holiday.
- Maison du Monde Hotel & Suites boasts 47 guestrooms in the historic heart of Nantes. Glamorous interiors are well-suited to couples or sociable friends who will appreciate the convivial lounge, bar and library. Also a romantic city break choice.
- Sozo Hotel has ultra-modern rooms and suites for guests eager to stay within an impressive converted chapel, complete with vaulted ceilings and stained glass windows. The minimalist, white, pink and lime green decor contrasts sharply with the historic building. Opposite the Botanic Gardens, this is a well-located choice for an unusual city break or work trip. Very stylish.
For a Rural Escape
- Les Arbres Rouges is a modern guesthouse with indoor and outdoor swimming pools in pretty gardens outside Nantes. Great for families, airy bedrooms have space for extra beds, and bikes are available for exploring. Request a table d'hôtes dinner after a day of discovering the city or countryside. Stylish rural bliss.
- Château de la Garnison sits in a superb rural spot just outside Nantes. Beautifully renovated rooms are very appealing, with exposed stone walls, free-standing baths and big cosy beds. Two of the four bedrooms have space for families, and there's cycling, horse riding and great walks in the area. A charming B&B just 20 minutes from the city.
For Great Value
- L'HOTEL sits close to the cathedral and the train station, in the heart of Nantes. The 31 minimalist, monochromatic rooms are very competitively priced. Simple, convenient and good for business or leisure.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Nantes Atlantique Airport and catch the 20-minute shuttle into the city centre. Alternatively, Nantes offers regular rail connections to cities across France.
- Brittany is brilliant for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the spring or summer for the best weather, with temperatures peaking at around 24°C in July and August — though this is the busiest time of year in Nantes. For a quieter trip, consider visiting in May or September, although the weather will be cooler and the students arriving to begin their univeristy year in the autumn.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Rennes.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Brittany.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Nantes
Best Hotels in Nantes
L'Hotel, Nantes Nantes 31 rooms from £53Sights nearby - Cultural sites not to be missed: The Dukes of Brittany Castle, The Fine Arts Museum, L'île de Versaille & many moreBoutique
Fab location in the heart of Nantes, just a few steps from the cathedral & the station. Inside the hotel is chic and sleek, decorated in crisp simple colours and dark rich oak. Rooms have a great view of the Chateau des Ducs de Bretagne or the garden. Stylish & convenient base for a city break. See More
Maisons du Monde Hotel & Suites Nantes 47 rooms from £82Local exploring - Well located in the heart of the city with many of the major attractions within walking distanceGreat walks - Take a stroll through the picturesque Jardin Japonais de l'Ile de VersaillesSights nearby - Visit the striking Château des ducs de BretagneDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
Okko Nantes Chateau Nantes 80 rooms from £90Local exploring - The hotel boasts a very central location making it an ideal base for those wishing to explore the city on footGreat walks - Take a walk in Le Jardin des Plantes, pretty botanical gardens dating back to 1807Sights nearby - Take a stroll down to the nearby Saint-Pierre CathedralDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
Sozo Hotel Nantes 28 rooms from £95Suites - Bedrooms and suites with thoughtful extras, Fragonard toiletries and daily welcome basketB+B - A generous spread for the buffet breakfast or served in your room at no extra costBar - Cool bar right in the nave of the churchClose to nightlifeRecommended by - CN Traveller
Situated in the handsome old port of Nantes at the mouth of the Loire, this converted 19th century church in the centre of the town is opposite the gorgeous Botanic Gardens. Now a sleek, contemporary hotel, a soaring space with arched ceilings, stained glass windows and minimalist white interior. See More
Les Arbres Rouges Nantes 5 rooms from £98Local markets - Explore the nearby daily marketSwimming Pool - Indoor and Outdoor PoolFishing - On the nearby riverSights nearby - Nantes City Centre
A stylish guesthouse just outside Nantes offering spacious accommodation with indoor and outdoor swimming pools and pretty garden. Bedrooms are sleek, bright and airy with contemporary styling and smart bathrooms. Table d'hote dinners on request. Ideal for discovering the area or a spot of R&R. See More
La Perouse Nantes 46 rooms from £103Local exploring - There are a number of sights within a short distance of the propertyShort break - La Perouse is just 5 miles away from Nantes Atlantique Airport!Great walks - Take a lesiurely stroll through the Botanical Garden of NantesSights nearby - Be sure to visit Nantes Planetarium and Nantes Cathedral
La Perouse enjoys a fabulous location in the heart of Nantes. This designer property boasts chic, minimalist accommodation featuring white interiors and offering plenty of light. Enjoy a buffet breakfast each morning made using seasonal organic produce! Smart, spacious, quirky and well-located. See More
Chateau de La Garnison Nantes 4 rooms from £109Country Escape - A chic chateau set in a secluded and picturesque rural location, ideal for a tranquil country escapeFamilies - Two of the four bedrooms can sleep up to fourGreat walks - Head out straight from the hotel on long picturesque walksSights nearby - You are 20 minutes from Nantes city centre
An imposing chateau set in a secluded rural spot just outside Nantes. Beautifully renovated rooms are the epitome of rural chic; simply designed with soft grey hues, exposed stone walls and the best have freestanding baths. The proximity to the city makes this ideal for an easy weekend escape. See More