- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Nantes
Nantes is no longer the capital of Brittany, but this lively, cultured city with a beautiful Loire-side spot still feels like it is. If you’re here for a city break then you’ll find the best places to stay in Nantes within the city proper, but if you’re looking for a great base for exploring Brittany then you might find some of the best places to stay in Nantes are actually just out of town in the rural lands surrounding the city.
As well as a one-time capital, Nantes has been many things, Huguenot haven, France’s largest port, an industrial centre with the world’s first public transport system, a shipbuilding behemoth and it’s now a university town known for its rich cultural life.
Aside from just enjoying the atmosphere and eating very well, visitors to Nantes might care to visit:
- the cathedral,
- the Château des ducs de Bretagne - now a museum with some fascinating exhibits about the city,
- the Musée des Beau-Arts - which is housed in a very fine building indeed,
- and the old port. Nantes also has some beautiful architecture - notably La Place Mellinet, which has eight perfectly symmetrical houses built in an octagon shape,
- and Ile Feydeau, the shipowner’s houses.
- And there are some lovely gardens.
If you’re looking for cafes, bars and restaurants, try the Place du Bouffay, a pedestrianised area by the château known for its Breton culture, pubs and restaurants. You’ll find plenty of crêpes here, because this is where they were invented!
Nantes is also close to the beach, and the salt marches of Guerande.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Nantes are the perfect bases for exploring this fascinating city, whether you're looking for a charming guesthouse or contemporary pad in the old town.
For a city break
- In the old port of Nantes at the mouth of the Loire, the Sozo Hotel, has been carefully converted from a 19th Century church. There are 28 rooms with minimalist, white decor and original features - like stained glass windows and arched ceilings. Some have views of the beautiful Botanical Gardens opposite.
The Best Value Places to Stay in Nantes
- L'Hotel is in an excellent spot in the heart of Nantes, right by the cathedral and the station. There are 31 rooms with sleek, contemporary decor in crisp colours and dark oak. Rooms start from around £55 per night.
Just out of town
- Peaceful and romantic, the Château de la Sebiniere is a small, ivy-clad Château in its own gardens and park. There are just four rooms, decorated with antiques, vintage wallpaper and parquet floors. There’s also an outdoor pool and a sunny breakfast room.
- Les Arbres Rouges is a stylish, five room guesthouse with both indoor and outdoor pools, sleek, modern interiors and smart decor. You can arrange Table d’hote dinners which make the best of the local markets.
Still not sure which is the best place to stay in Nantes for you?
Best Hotels in Nantes
L'Hotel 31 rooms from £53Nantes
Fab location in the heart of Nantes, just a few steps from the cathedral & the station. Inside the hotel is chic and sleek, decorated in crisp simple colours and dark rich oak. Rooms have a great view of the Chateau des Ducs de Bretagne or the garden. Stylish & convenient base for a city break.Sights nearby - Cultural sites not to be missed: The Dukes of Brittany Castle, The Fine Arts Museum, L'île de Versaille & many more
Les Arbres Rouges 5 rooms from £99Nantes
A stylish guest house just outside Nantes offering spacious accommodation with indoor and outdoor swimming pools and pretty garden. Bedrooms are sleek, bright and airy with contemporary styling and smart bathrooms. Table d'hote dinners on request. Ideal for discovering the area or a spot of R&R.Local markets - Explore the nearby daily marketSwimming Pool - Indoor and Outdoor PoolFishing - On the nearby riverSights nearby - Nantes City Centre
Sozo Hotel 28 rooms from £96Nantes
Situated in the handsome old port of Nantes at the mouth of the Loire, this converted 19th century church in the centre of the town is opposite the gorgeous Botanic Gardens. Now a sleek, contemporary hotel, a soaring space with arched ceilings, stained glass windows and minimalist white interior.Suites - Bedrooms and suites with thoughtful extras, Fragonard toiletries and daily welcome basketB+B - A generous spread for the buffet breakfast or served in your room at no extra costBar - Cool bar right in the nave of the churchClose to nightlifeRecommended by - CN Traveller
La Perouse 46 rooms from £104Nantes
La Perouse enjoys a fabulous location in the heart of Nantes. This designer property boasts chic, minimalist accommodation featuring white interiors and offering plenty of light. Enjoy a buffet breakfast each morning made using seasonal organic produce! Smart, spacious, quirky and well-located.Local exploring - There are a number of sights within a short distance of the propertyShort fly break - La Perouse is just 5 miles away from Nantes Atlantique Airport!Great walks - Take a lesiurely stroll through the Botanical Garden of NantesSights nearby - Be sure to visit Nantes Planetarium and Nantes Cathedral