Search the best hotels in Poitiers
A strategic stronghold in west-central France with a long and illustrious history, Poitiers is a fascinating destination. Whether you’re dreaming of a weekend break, under two hours by TGV from Paris, or a culture-focused stopover on a French road trip, you’ll find attractions aplenty in this lively city. Chosen for their location, style and amenities, our pick of the best places to stay in Poitiers includes charming owner-run B&Bs as well as sumptuous converted chapels and châteaux.
Founded by the Pictones, later Pictavium under the Romans, and the former capital of Poitou, Poitiers boasts layers upon layers of history. Nestled on the banks of the River Clain, it was long known for its beautiful bell towers and steeples. A stroll through the old town yields breathtaking buildings, including the Romanesque Eglise Notre Dame la Grande, the Cathédrale Saint-Pierre and the fourth-century Baptisterie. Reputedly the oldest church in France, the Baptisterie is well worth a guided tour. The Musée Saint-Croix is also excellent, whilst little ones will adore the ultra-modern Parc du Futuroscope.
Marvel at streets lined with half-timbered houses, pop into independent boutiques and pick a perch at buzzy cafés for a coffee or an aperitif. With the second-oldest university in France and students making up 25% of the population, a lively arts and evening scene is guaranteed. Check out brilliant bars and events before returning to relax at one of the best places to stay in Poitiers.
The Best Places to Stay in Poitiers
For a Central Stay
- La Maison de Marc is a stylish little B&B in the heart of town. Five chic rooms with wooden floors and abstract art invite guests to unwind, whilst the friendly team pride themselves on providing delicious breakfasts and local recommendations. Intimate and charming.
- Mercure Poitiers offers pared-back guestrooms in a former Jesuit chapel, decorated to complement original features including exposed beams, ornate pillars and dramatic vaulted ceilings. Hotel restaurant Les Archives is not to be missed! A super central stay.
For a Riverside Château
- Château du Clos de la Ribaudière sits on the banks of the River Clain. This eighteenth-century gem has been extensively restored to create a luxury hotel with elegant interiors and a gourmet French restaurant. A lovely event venue as well as a romantic retreat.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY HOUSE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Poitiers Airport and travel into the city by car or shuttle. Alternatively, take the TGV from Paris in 90 minutes; Poitiers is well-connected to destinations across France by rail.
- The Vienne region is great for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Summer is the most popular time for exploring, with temperatures peaking at around 25°C in July and August. Spring and autumn are quieter and cooler.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Vienne.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in France.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Poitiers
Best Hotels in Poitiers
La Maison de Marc Poitiers 5 rooms from £85Local exploring - Discover Poitiers' rich medieval heritage, particularly its Romanesque architecture, churches and Poitiers PalaceCity Style - Located in downtown Poitiers close to major attractions such as the Notre Dame church and the shopping districtValue chic - With its central location, stylish decor and reasonable prices, Maison de Marc comes in at a bargainShort break - Easy accesible from Poitiers airport and a well-sized city to be explored over a short break
A stylish B&B in the centre of the historic city. The white-washed walls, adorned with abstract art, and wooden floors give the spacious rooms real character. The continental breakfasts and incredibly friendly hostess are a real highlight. The perfect place from which to explore Poitiers. See More
Mercure Poitiers Poitiers 50 rooms from £93Romantic Break - Choose this historic property for a romantic getaway with a difference; book a luxury suite to stay in the eaves of the chapelLocal exploring - This hotel's location makes it a great base for local exploring, with all the main attractions close byCity Style - Set in the heart of Poitiers in a heritage building, this hotel has reams of local city styleSights nearby - Visit the Église Notre-Dame la Grande, renowned for its intricately carved facade which illustrates episodes from the Bible
This unique hotel offers beautifully appointed rooms in a former Jesuit chapel in central Poitiers. Guestrooms are designed to complement preserved heritage details, working with vaulted ceilings, ornate pillars and exposed beams. Dine at the spectacular hotel restaurant, Les Archives. See More
Chateau du Clos de la Ribaudiere Poitiers (10 Rue du Champ de Foire) 41 rooms from £121Romantic Break - Luxurious rooms with modern comforts, indulgent interiors, in room massages and a fine dining restaurant on site.Hideaway - Set within a large park on the banks of the River Clain, it's the ideal place to getaway from it all.Sights nearby - History buffs must visit the church of Notre-Dame-la-Grande, St Jean Baptistery and St. Pierre Cathedral.Swimming Pool - An outdoor pool for guests
A beautifully renovated 18th century chateau on the banks of the River Clain. Large and spacious rooms with antique furnishings, exposed beams, rich fabrics and garden views. The gourmet restaurant serves traditional French cuisine, and the leafy garden boasts a pool. A grown up getaway. See More