Rayol Canadel sur Mer
Search the best hotels in Rayol Canadel sur Mer
About Rayol Canadel sur Mer
At the edge of the Mediterranean on a wooded hill with a backdrop of the Maures Mountains stands Rayol-Canadel-sur-Mer, a beautiful 20th-century seaside resort and the ideal place to escape the manic hustle and bustle of modern life. The hills are lined with gorgeous Belle Epoque villas, heather, mimosas and oak trees. The monuments dedicated to the Allied soldiers who lost their lives there during WWII stand stark and noble amidst the woodland. With pure azure waters, golden beaches and a laid-back vibe, Rayol-Canadel-sur-Mer is the quintessential seaside escape and our collection of the best places to stay in Rayol-Canadel-sur-Mer are located directly on the beach.
Nestling at the heart of a bay and staring longingly out to the Golden Islands, the village of Rayol seems to tumble gently down the wooded hill facing the sea, a mass of Belle Epoque villas and quaint whitewashed houses peeping out from behind oak and pine trees, wreathed in heather and garlanded with the pink flowers of mimosas while behind, in the infinite blue horizon, the Maures Massif looms gloriously. 80% of Rayol is wooded and blooming with exotic flowers, boasting over 400 species of plants imported from around the world, earning it the nickname of "The Garden", unsurprisingly.
The area was barely inhabited until the 20th-century when, at the onset of the Provence railway in 1885, it was made easier to access its wild wooded shores. Wealthy European aristocrats, artists and writers flocked there, erecting gorgeous Belle Epoque villas so that by the 1940s, it was a fully independent village. Being a fairly young settlement comparable to other towns and villages in the area, it has few historical sites of interest, aside from the several steles dedicated to the Allied commandos who landed on Rayol beach in August 1944.
People don't come to Rayol for the history or indeed culture: they come for the beaches and the breathtaking natural beauty that blossoms all around. The sand is golden and powder soft while the turquoise waters glow iridescent in the sunshine; the beaches, Rayol, Canadel and Pramousquier respectively, are all delightful and watersports like scuba diving and snorkelling are very popular there. Bask in the beautiful view of the Golden Islands nestling off the coast or stroll along the Greenway, the old railway line that skirts around the bay.
What not to miss
- Walk aimlessly down the numerous staircases that tumble down the hill, past oak trees and exotic plants, and bask in the spellbinding natural scenery all around you.
- Head down to one of the many beaches and enjoy a spot of sunbathing.
- Stroll along the Greenway, the old railway line and drink in the marvellous views of the bay.
- Pay your respects to the Allied soldiers who landed on Rayol beach in August 1944 at one of the stele or the cemetery.
- Observe the fauna and fish in the sea on a snorkelling trip.
- Find some solace in Canadel's beautiful 20th-century chapel.
- Head out to Fort de Bregancon, a summer residence of the French president, and take a guided tour around this fascinating seaside fort and chateau.
Rayol is where you go to get-away-from-it-all. Lots of sun, golden beaches, woodland and calm azure waters, it is the quintessential seaside escape. The best places to stay in Rayol-Canadel-sur-Mer will make you want to stay forever!
The best places to stay in Rayol-Canadel-sur-Mer
- Le Bailli de Suffren: a gorgeous seaside resort with enchanting views, boasting large rooms and suites with private balconies, a pampering spa, three restaurants, a lavish sundeck and an enormous swimming pool. A spoiling stay.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Fly to Toulon-Hyeres Airport and get public transport to Rayol-Canadel-sur-Mer.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to go is during the summer when the temperature ranges between 17 and 27 degrees.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Provence.
- Browse through Hotel Guru's special offers across France.
- Or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Rayol Canadel sur Mer
Le Bailli de Suffren 55 rooms from £211Rayol Canadel sur Mer (Avenue des Américains)
The perfect beachside hotel in a fabulous setting. Directly on the seafront sits a luxurious spot that includes large rooms and suites with private balconies and ocean views. An enormous pool and sun deck area, three restaurants, and therapeutic spa. A glamourous choice for a beach break.Luxury - Stylish with all the amenities and direct access to the beach.Foodies - Three excellent restaurants to choose from.Views - Spectacular ocean views.Beach Life