Search the best hotels in Saint-Malo
A walled port city, Saint-Malo is one of Brittany’s most famous destinations. Once the notorious home of the Corsairs — privateers who roamed the English Channel — the city has a rich maritime history, and is a wonderful starting point for a French holiday with family and friends. Chosen for their location, amenities and design, our pick of the best places to stay in Saint-Malo includes everything from small seaside gems to rural châteaux with gourmet restaurants. There really is something in this gorgeous city for everyone!
Begin your explorations in the walled Old Town, studded with sumptuous mansions built by wealthy ship owners who made their fortunes in Saint-Malo’s 18th and 19th Century heyday. Don’t miss the Château de Saint-Malo, the Tomb of Chateaubriand, the towering cathedral or the Fort National. Walks to the Demeure de Corsaire and the ruined Cité d’Aleth offering spellbinding views and curious insights into the past. Keen beachgoers, on the other hand, can amble along the bustling promenade at Plage du Sillon, or go swimming at Plage de Bon-Secours. Try kayaking, sailing, windsurfing and fishing, too. Day trips to nearby Dinard, the golf courses and cycling trails of the countryside, and magical Mont St. Michel come highly recommended.
Top it all off with glorious, freshly caught seafood! The city has one of the highest concentrations of restaurants in Europe — including delectable offerings at some of the best places to stay in Saint-Malo. A real treat.
The Best Places to Stay in Saint-Malo
For a Seaside Stay
- Les Charmettes sits right on the seafront, perfect for those eager to spend their days at the beach. Simple, charming rooms boast panoramic views, and there's a friendly, laid-back feel — perfect for surfers, families and friends travelling together. Congregate at the beach bar for evening cocktails, or tuck into great seafood at the restaurant.
- Hôtel Beaufort overlooks the promenade which lines Grande Plage du Sillon, and 14 of the 22 rooms have mesmerising bay views. Expect Art Deco-inspired interiors, a delectable café and a sea-facing bar. Generous buffet breakfasts are an ideal way to start the day.
For Heritage Charm
- L’Ascott offers ten chic guestrooms in a gorgeous former private mansion within the lively Saint-Servan neighbourhood. Built in 1910, the house has chic interiors, luxurious bathrooms and a leafy garden. Very romantic.
- Malouinière Le Valmarin is an 18th-century manor house set within verdant parkland just 500 metres from the beach, in historic Saint Malo. Eight comfortable rooms have heaps of character, ideal for a laid-back stay as a couple or family.
For Contemporary Cool
- Le Grand Bé is a smart, 55-room hotel just two minutes from Bon Secours Beach and Saint-Malo's historic city ramparts. Pick this place for the cool, contemporary interiors, rejuvenating wellness centre, trendy eatery — Le Petit Bé — and well-equipped meeting spaces. Stylish and modern, close to all the action.
For a Rural Escape
- Château Hôtel du Colombier was built by a ship manager of the East India Company in 1715. Ten minutes' drive from Saint-Malo, the pink-painted château has elegant rooms and suites with high ceilings and period furnishings. Facilites include an onsite restaurant and a golf practice area. Cycle through leafy parkland and relax in the gardens. A real treat.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Dinard-Pleurtuit-St-Malo Airport, 20 minutes from Saint-Malo by bus or taxi. Alternatively, you can arrive by train from hubs such as Rennes or Paris.
- Brittany is brilliant for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the spring or summer for the best weather, with temperatures peaking at around 21°C in July and August — this is the busiest time of year. For a quieter trip, consider visiting in May or September, although the weather will be cooler.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Dinard.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Brittany.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Saint-Malo
Best Hotels in Saint-Malo
Hotel Les Charmettes Saint-Malo 18 rooms from £65Surfing - Saint-Malo's strong spring and autumn tides make it a great place for surfing.Sailing - Perfect stopping point for a sailing trip around the coast of Brittany.Sights nearby - Visit the famous 12th centrury Saint-Malo ramparts.Restaurant - Recommended.
Directly on the Saint-Malo seafront, Les Charmettes is a charming hotel. Rooms are simple and comfortable and many have glorious seaside views. Spend the day relaxing on the beach and in the evening enjoy delicious regional seafood, especially the world famous Sillon oysters. See More
Hotel Beaufort St-Malo, Brittany 22 rooms from £86On the beach - Direct access to the beachViews - Fantastic sea viewsLocal markets - Good for local colour.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.
Seafront townhouse hotel in St Malo. Contemporary rooms with private sea facing balconies and all the modern gadgetry. A lovely lounge bar with a terrace for watching the sun go down. See More
Malouiniere le valmarin St-Malo, Brittany 8 rooms from £87Local markets - Good for local colour.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.TraditionalSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Sawdays
An elegant hotel with the feel of a country manor yet in the centre of St Malo. Graceful toile de jouy dressed bedrooms and family suites. Beautiful garden, neighbouring beaches, spas, restaurants, and watersports. A great choice for families and those on a budget. See More
L'Ascott Saint-Malo, Brittany 10 rooms from £91Views - The Bay of St Malo is beautiful.Sights nearby - Explore the neighbourhoods of Solido, Intra Muros.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Great walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Michelin Travel
A charming little hotel in Saint-Malo within easy reach of lovely beaches. Contemporary chic rooms in muted tones with parquet floors, luxury bedding, and all the mod cons. A really pleasant spot for a weekend break near the beach. See More
Le Grand Be Saint-Malo 56 rooms from £114Local exploring - Perfectly situated in Saint-Malo's old town with most of the major attractions within walking distanceBeach Life - The hotel is just steps away from St Malo's Plage de Bon Secours, its main sandy beachGreat walks - Stroll through old St-Malo and admire the granite architecture and stop in one of the local cafesSpa - There is a small wellness centre with sauna, steam room, massage room and fitness area.
A smart 4 star hotel set in the heart of historic Saint-Malo. Rooms are light and bright with pale wooden floors, simple modern furniture and indulgent bathrooms. With a fine-dining restaurant (that specialises in seafood) and a wellness centre, this is sure to be an relaxing stay. See More
Chateau du Colombier Saint-Malo, Brittany 15 rooms from £118Local exploring - In a splendid quiet location, close to the city centre, yet moments away from the beautiful beaches in the Brittany region.Writing a novel - Sit out in the lovely gardens and be inspired by the poetic location and peaceful atmosphere.Sights nearby - Check out the Saint-Malo Cathedral and the 18th century La Demeure de Corsaire - a privateers house and museum.Local markets - Walk and explore the interesting cobbled streets of the old town.
A lovely castle with beautiful architecture that dates back to 1715 built by a ship manager of the East India Company. High ceilings, four poster beds, period furniture and intricate chandeliers add to the old world charm. A fine dining restaurant with wonderful views of the lush gardens. See More