Search the best hotels in Valence
Valence lies on the left bank of the Rhone river in the Drome area of South-East France and is commonly known as the ‘Gateway to the South of France'. This is a lovely city filled with historical sites and pretty outdoor spaces. The hotels are equally as alluring with the best places to stay in Valence ranging from grand historical converted buildings to chic contemporary stays and, as this is an acclaimed gastronomic city, a few of our picks even boast Michelin starred dining.
The city’s history dates back to Roman times and there is much for the sightseer in terms of buildings and monuments. Probably the most significant sight is the Cathedral St. Apollinaire a beautiful eleventh-century building in Romanesque style. Nearby in ‘Vieux Valence’ there is the Maison des Tetes (so named due to all the heads sculpted on the facade) and the Maison Mauresque (a building celebrating the French love of Moorish architecture). The Musee d’Art et d’Archaeologie houses a fascinating collection of art from the sixteenth century onwards. There is also the bijou Italian theatre and an Armenian centre - celebrating the large contingent in the city.
There are many wide-open spaces. In the centre, Jouvet park is one of the prettiest in the region and has lovely views of the ruined Chateau de Crussol. The Champ de Mars has boulevards to stroll and the famous bandstand of Raymond Peynet. You can also stroll along the many canals or take advantage of Valence’s self-service ‘rent-a-bike’ scheme.
For gastronomes, Valence is justifiably proud of Anne-Sophie Pic, restauranteur and holder of three Michelin stars. Not to mention the two other Michelin starred establishments here!
Although the city is often used as a stopping off point on the way to or from the South of France, choose one of our picks of the best places to stay in Valence and you've got a great reason to linger for longer!
The Best Places to Stay in Valence
For central style
- Maison de la Pra is located in the centre of Valence this converted sixteenth century mansion is elegant and stylish. With only four guestrooms the atmosphere is chic and sophisticated. It is within walking distance to the sights, shops and nightlife.
- Hotel de France is a stylish property in the centre of Valence. The smart contemporary rooms are individually designed in a minimalist style.
For a boutique
- The Victoria is a modern designer-inspired boutique hotel with high-quality furnishings and friendly service. Rooms have that perfect contemporary retro-chic feel. A great choice for couples on a weekend down the iconic Route 7 in France.
For gourmet heaven
- Maison Pic is a modern design hotel most notable for its famous patron Anne-Sophie Pic, the award-winning French chef. Come here for sublime dinners and hone your skills with the cookery classes and wine tastings which can be arranged on site.
- Hotel Michel Chabran offers spacious rooms decorated in a simplistic Provençal style. The quiet, cosy ambience and evening meals on the verandah, eating Michelin starred dishes, make this perfect for a romantic retreat.
Prefer an apartment?
- If you're travelling with family or a group of friends it may be a better option to book a villa or apartment. For a wide range of properties for all tastes and budgets we recommend you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- The nearest major airport is Lyon-Saint Exupéry Airport located 117km from Valence or fly to the domestic only Le Puy - Loudes Airport, 126km from the city.
- Valence is a year-round destination with each season offering its own charm however for bright warm days plan your trip between the months of June - August when temperatures range between 22°C - 24°C.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include all our recommendations in Rhone-Alps?
- or refine your search to just the 20 best hotels in Provence for foodies?
- Or contact a friendly guru for advice.
Monthly Weather in Valence
Best Hotels in Valence
Hotel de France, Valence Valence 47 rooms from £86Local exploring - This cool contemporary hotel in the heart of Valence makes an ideal base for exploring the town by foot.Sights nearby - Located just 450 m from the Saint-Apollinaire Cathedral.
Hotel Michel Chabran Valence (Pont-de-l'Isère) 10 rooms from £95Restaurant - Recommended.TraditionalRecommended by - Michelin Travel, Good Hotel Guide
The Victoria, Valence Valence 12 rooms from £113Local exploring - A smart base just minutes from the old townGreat walks - Take a stroll through the Jovet Park (a large open space for families) overlooking the Ardeche mountainsSights nearby - Visit the city's oldest monument, Valence cathedral, which dates back to the 1000sDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
Located just outside the Valence train station, this modern designer-inspired boutique hotel has high-quality furnishings and friendly service. Rooms have that perfect contemporary retro-chic feel. A perfect choice for couples on a weekend down the iconic Route 7 in France. See More
Maison de la Pra Valence 4 rooms from £134Great walks - The rivers Drome and Ardeche meet just a short walk from the hotelLocal markets - Visit the markets in the towns and villages of the areaSights nearby - 550 yards away from Valence CathedralViews - Great views from hotel
Stunning conversion of a 16th century mansion located in the historic centre of Valence. The rooms are spacious and airy, with smart modern, tiled bathrooms, whilst maintaining a rustic charm with exposed stonework and wooden beams. A chic base from which to exlore the area. See More
Maison Pic Valence 16 rooms from £165Cooking classes - Available at the hotelDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRestaurant - Recommended.