Search the best hotels in Bayreuth
A small university city steeped in beautiful baroque and rococo architecture, Bayreuth was once considered by Hitler to be one of the most important cultural centres of Germany, and Richard Wagner, attracted by its magnificent opera house in the late 19th century, lived there for the last 11 years of his life. Though it was bombed during WWII, there still stand a number of gorgeous churches, and the opera house built for Wagner - the Festspielhaus. Tourists flock in droves every year for the Richard Wagner Festival, held for 30 days between July and August, an event not to be missed! Not only that, but there are countless fascinating and varied museums, ranging from archaeological museums and the 18th century brewery catacombs to local history museums and art galleries. The ideal destination for culture vultures, history lovers and couples looking to go on a romantic break. The best places to stay in Bayreuth exude traditional German charm.
What not to miss
- Sample some local Franconian beer in one of the many local biergartens.
- Stop by the Festspielhaus, the magnificent opera house on a hill built by the King of Bavaria for Richard Wagner.
- Attend the Richard Wagner Festival between July and August, and view the Richard Wagner Museum, housed in his old home.
- Visit one of the several 18th century churches.
- Immerse yourself in history, from the Stone Age to the Medieval era, at the Archaeological Museum.
- Take a guided tour of the catacombs beneath Bayreuth and learn how they used to make beer.
- Admire the impressive collection of works at the Museum of Art.
Steeped in history and jam-packed full of culture, Bayreuth makes the perfect destination for a romantic break or sightseeing holiday. Browse through our collection of the best places to stay in Bayreuth to start planning your trip.
The best places to stay in Bayreuth
- Goldener Anker: set in a beautiful 18th century townhouse in the heart of town, offering elegant en-suite rooms, an excellent gourmet restaurant serving regional cuisine, a concierge service, bike rental and a coffee house. A great stepping stone for exploring the wider area.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Fly to Nuremberg Airport, and get a train to Bayreuth. It is a 55 minute journey.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to go is between July and August, during the Richard Wagner Festival, when the temperature ranges between 11 and 24 degrees.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Bavaria
- or Germany
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Bayreuth
Best Hotels in Bayreuth
Goldener Anker Bayreuth 35 rooms from £131Local exploring - Set in the heart of the the baroque-style town centre with many of its attractions within walking distance.Foodies - Gourmet food is served up using almost all local produce.Sights nearby - The Markgravial Opera House is a 5 minute walk away.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Michelin Travel