What a brilliant website. I shall speak of it far & wide ! David Campbell.
Search the best hotels in Bayreuth
A small university city steeped in beautiful baroque and rococo architecture, Bayreuth was once considered by Hitler to be one of the most important cultural centres of Germany, and Richard Wagner, attracted by its magnificent opera house in the late 19th century, lived there for the last 11 years of his life. Though it was bombed during WWII, there still stand a number of gorgeous churches, and the opera house built for Wagner - the Festspielhaus. Tourists flock in droves every year for the Richard Wagner Festival, held for 30 days between July and August, an event not to be missed! Not only that, but there countless fascinating and varied museums, ranging from archaeological museums and 18th century brewery catacombs to local history museums and art galleries. The ideal destination for culture vultures, history lovers and couples looking to go on a romantic break, the best places to stay in Bayreuth exude traditional German charm.
What not to miss
- Sample some local Franconian beer in one of the many local biergartens!
- Check out the Festspielhaus, the magnificent opera house on a hill built by the King of Bavaria for Richard Wagner.
- Attend the Richard Wagner Festival between July and August, and check out the Richard Wagner Museum, housed in his old home!
- Visit one of the several 18th century churches.
- Immerse yourself in history, from the Stone Age to the Medieval era, at the Archaeological Museum!
- Take a guided tour of the catacombs beneath Bayreuth and learn how they used to make beer.
- Drink in the gorgeous works of art at the Museum of Art!
Steeped in history and jam-packed full of culture, Bayreuth makes the perfect destination for a romantic break or sightseeing holiday. Find out more by checking out our collection of the best places to stay in Bayreuth!
The best places to stay in Bayreuth
- Goldener Anker: set in a beautiful 18th century townhouse in the heart of town, offering elegant en-suite rooms, an excellent gourmet restaurant serving regional cuisine, a concierge service, bike rental and a coffee house. A great stepping stone for exploring the wider area.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Fly to Nuremberg Airport, and get a train to Bayreuth. It is a 55 minute journey.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to go is between July and August, during the Richard Wagner Festival, when the temperature ranges between 11 and 24 degrees.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Bavaria
- or Germany
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Bayreuth
Goldener Anker 35 rooms from £132Bayreuth
Traditional 18th century accommodation in the historic town of Bayreuth, offering elegant en-suite rooms. Boasting an excellent regional restaurant, coffee house, bike rental and concierge services. Ideally located to explore the town by foot.Local exploring - Set in the heart of the the baroque-style town centre with many of its attractions within walking distance.Foodies - Gourmet food is served up using almost all local produce.Sights nearby - The Markgravial Opera House is a 5 minute walk away.TraditionalRecommended by - Michelin Travel