Search the best hotels in Füssen
Füssen is all the most romantic things about Bavaria arranged in one beautiful town. At the end of the Romantic Road, the wonderful route between Bavaira’s fairytale castles, Füssen is where you’ll find two of the best: Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau. And some of our Guru’s recommendations for the best places to stay in Füssen offer views - from the rooms, no less! - of one or other of these almost-too-magical-to-be-real castles.
Some people arrive in Füssen, see the castles and then leave. But they’re depriving themselves of a beautiful Old Town, and surrounds to inspire any outdoors-person, from the holiday hiker to Olympic skiers. During the summer some of the ski lifts sill work, so you can catch a shortcut up to some of the region’s most spectacular views. The local area is dotted with fairytale castles too. And some very nice Bavarian restaurants.
What Not to Miss
- Schloss Neuschwanstein. It’s a 30minute hike, or a short drive from Füssen to one of the world’s most romantic castles: the one Disney based Sleeping Beauty’s castle on - though that’s no surprise really, seeing as King Ludwig II built this castle for himself with the help of a stage set designer rather than an architect, the dream being to create a stage against which to replay some of the magic of German mythology. Don’t miss the Tristan and Isolde themed bedroom, or the incredible throne room with its mosaic floor. You don’t have to have a ticket unless you want to go in. But either way it’s worth taking a stroll up to Marienbrücke, which crosses the Pöllat Gorge, for this is where you’ll get the best photos.
- Schloss Hohenschwangau is where King Ludwig grew up, and it’s got a wonderful lived-in feel to it, which is entirely different to Schloss Neuschwanstein. It was a neo-Gothic build on top of a 12th century ruin, but it’s full of magic and history in its own right. And quite a number of swans…
- Schloss Falkenstein is s ruin, with a really charming one, and it’s also just a short distance from Füssen. And Hohes Schloss was the local bishop’s home, now an impressive art gallery.
- After the castles you can find out more about Ludwig and his family at the Museum der Bayerischen Könige, which is packed with the family’s treasures.
- And then you might consider visiting the churches? Wieskirche is considered a Rococo masterpiece, and the Abbey of St. Marg ha wonderful organ and a choir which does it justice.
- Don’t forget to explore the Old Town, but you might also want to explore further afield, and ski if it’s that time of year, or swim in the Alpsee, Obersee or Mittlerersee, if it’s that time of year. You might also consider a spot of hang-gliding or parasailing - there’s no better place to try it.
The Best Places to Stay in Füssen
For Bavarian Charm
- The Hotel Hirsch is a rather wonderful and romantic hotel, with a quaint, pink pastel facade. Inside the rooms are themed around the region , with local antiques and fabrics, wooden floors and plenty of character. There’s also a beer garden and a Bavarian restaurant and uou’re in a great spot in the Old Town of Füssen.
For Great Value
- For under £100 per night you can stay in the HOTEL ZUM HECHTEN, a charming, 35 room property within Füssen’s Old Town. The decor is contemporary, and rooms have plenty of light.
- The Villa Ludwig Suite Hotel is in the small but very pretty Bavarian town of Hohenschwangau - which is under 20minutes walk from Neuschwanstein Castle. There are 18 rooms, all of them comfortable and spacious, and some with castle views. There’s a very nice spa and they do a charming afternoon tea in the garden.
- The Berghotel Schlossanger Alp is a few kilometres from Füssen in the other direction, in a very pretty rural spot, close to waterparks, mountain trails, adventure parks and ski runs. There are 35 elegant but cosy rooms, plus a Finnish sauna, a terrace, playground and a fantastic restaurant serving regional favourites.
- The Alpenhotel Krone is also in a fairly rural spot, but it’s perfect one the ski season starts, and it’s quite central for the region’s highlights.. Built in the 18th century, this hotel has some fantastic Bavarian fresco paintings, plus charing original features. The 32 rooms are fairly modern in design, though.
For an Apartment or Villa
If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend you visit our online partner, booking.com.
- If you’re not driving the Romantic Road, it’s probably easiest to arrive in Füssen via train from Munich. Munich Airport, is 29 km northeast of the city, and it’s very well connected to the rest of Europe via the air, and very well connected to central Munich by train.
- You don’t really need a car within Füssen, but the Romantic Road is really something… and there are some ‘lesser’ castles nearby, which are only really considered ‘lesser’ because they’re so close to Neuschwanstein. So if you’re thinking about hiring a car we recommend checking what our online partners, Rentalcars have to offer.
- It’s hard to recommend the best time of year to visit Füssen because if you’re skiing, or after a magical, lakeside summer holiday then it’s pretty obvious. But if you’re mainly here for the castles then September and October are probably the best. The weather is driest, temperatures are mild and it’s not the busiest season.
Still not sure which is the best place to stay in Füssen for you?
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Bavaria?
- or consider booking into one of the best hotels in Munich and travelling out to Füssen each day?
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Füssen
Best Hotels in Füssen
Hotel Zum Hechten Füssen 35 rooms from £82Local exploring - Located in the Old Town of Füssen and with a multitude of sights to explore nearby.Active Holiday - The surrounding countryside makes for wonderful hikes or cycles.Sights nearby - Visit the fairytale style Neuschwanstein Castle.Traditional
A charming property set in the pretty town of Fussen. Contemporary rooms are light and airy with parquet flooring and simple sleek furniture. Bavarian specialities served up in the restaurant. Plenty of outdoor activities to suit everyone. Well priced and laid backed. Ideal for families. See More
Hotel Hirsch Füssen 52 rooms from £146Romantic Break - Bavarian antiques fill the opulent rooms - visit Royal Crystal Spa in Schwangau or enjoy spectacular views from the cable carSights nearby - Hotel is close to royal castles Hohenschwangau and NeuschwansteinGreat walks - Up to Forggensee Lake, just 1.5 km awayFull of character
Romantic hotel housed behind a quaint pastel pink facade, in the old town of Füssen. Charming rooms are themed on the region, with antiques and wooden floors, opulent fabrics and plenty of character. Beer garden and Bavarian menu in the good restaurant. A memorable, good value stay. See More
Villa Ludwig Suite Hotel Füssen 18 rooms from £147Local exploring - Perfectly placed for exploring this stunning countryside, and visiting the incredible Neuschwanstein Castle.Total relaxation - An enchanting mountainside retreat with Finnish sauna, massage treatments, and a hot tub with castle views.Sights nearby - Castle Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein Castle are both less than twenty minutes walk from the hotel.Great walks - There are lovely walks and trails on the nearby Romantic Road.
An excellent hotel set in the small Bavarian town of Hohenschwangau. The comfortable rooms are spacious and light with many affording views of Neuschwanstein Castle. Relax at the on site spa, and enjoy afternoon tea on the in the gardens. Historians will love the surrounding castle country. See More
Hotel Das Rübezahl Füssen (Bavaria) 54 rooms from £239Active Holiday - With ski-to-door access from the hotel and ski equipment available to hire, this hotel makes a great base for an active holidaySpa breaks - With an impressive on-site spa, including a hot tub, sauna and outdoor pool, book this hotel for your next spa breakRomantic Break - The cosy rooms are perfect for a romantic getaway; book a suite with a fireplace for added luxurySights nearby - Visit the nearby, fairytale Neuschwanstein Castle; the hotel can arrange transport and book tickets in advance for you
This four-star boutique hotel is located in the Bavarian Alps. Rooms are warm and homely with plush linens and wooden floors; the best suites have a cosy fireplace and living room. Book into the neoclassical spa before dinner at the gourmet restaurant. A romantic mountain getaway. See More