Search the best hotels in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
A picturesque Alpine ski resort in Bavaria, Garmisch-Partenkirchen is the ideal place for a family skiing holiday. With access to some of the best slopes in Germany, the resort nestles in the shadow of three mountains, all offering a variety of slopes for different levels of experience. Whether you're hiking through the lush green valleys in the fitful heat of summer or conquering the famous black pistes of Kandahar, you will fall in love with this quaint and pleasant town. The best places to stay in Garmisch-Partenkirchen will ensure that you do.
Founded in 1936, Garmisch-Partenkirchen was borne out of a marriage between two distinct towns. Germany, due to host the Winter Olympics of that year, was faced with the possibility of being passed over by the IOC due to the lack of hotels in the host town: by the decree of Hitler, the towns merged and as such, Germany continued to be host. The town itself is old and quite beautiful, especially when compared to some of the livelier, more modern resorts: the old wooden homes bare paintings on their exteriors, and flowers bloom from trellises hanging from their picturesque balconies.
There is much to do, both in winter and summer. With access to over 40km of slopes, from the more family-friendly runs on the Hausberg to the world-famous black pistes of Kandahar, visitors are spoiled for choice. There is a thrilling toboggan run too, not to mention some great cross-country sites. During the summer, hiking is exceedingly popular in these parts: paths leading up and around the Partnachklamm and Hollentalklamm gorges offer gorgeous panoramic views of the surrounding landscape, while the old cogwheel train that leads to the top of the Zugspitze Mountain offers breathtaking sights.
What not to miss
- Conquer the countless slopes surrounding the resort, from the harder pistes of Kandahar to the more child-friendly slopes of Hausberg.
- Take the kids for a spot of tobogganing.
- Walk aimlessly through the beautiful town, passed the quaint houses adorned with painted exteriors.
- Go for a stroll up and around the Partnachklamm and Hollentalklamm gorges.
- Drink in the enchanting panoramic sights from your carriage in the cogwheel train that trundles up Zugspitze Mountain.
A picture-perfect Alpine town teeming with fun things-to-do, to start planning your trip, browse through our collection of the best places to stay in Garmisch-Partenkirchen.
The best places to stay in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Hotel am Badersee: a modern hotel boasting bright and contemporary rooms with floor-to-ceiling windows, a pampering spa and a sumptuous restaurant. Relax with a drink by the roaring fire or drink in the views from your room. Absolutely divine. The large suites are ideal for families.
- Hotel Waxenstein: a stunning contemporary hotel offering spacious and comfortable rooms adorned with warm wooden furnishings. Pet-friendly, offering a gourmet restaurant and a spoiling spa. Ideal for couples looking for intimacy and respite.
- Hotel Staudacherhof: offering high-quality and elegant mountain-facing rooms with private balconies, this chic and sleek hotel boasts an extensive spa and an excellent gourmet restaurant serving up the regional specialities.
For an apartment or chalet
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of chalets and apartments in the nearby area.
- The best time to go is between December and March when the temperature averages at around freezing point. During the summer, there is a lot of rain so bear that in mind for any hiking expedition.
- Fly to Innsbruck, in Austria, 60km away, from where you can get a train or taxi to Garmisch-Partenkirchen.
- If you want to rent a car we recommend contacting our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Bavaria,
- or Germany,
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Hotel am Badersee Garmisch-Partenkirchen (Bavaria) 136 rooms from £175
An elegant, modern hotel on the banks of Lake Badersee. Spacious suites boast contemporary interior design, with floor-to-ceiling windows looking out onto the mountains. The wellness centre offers a snow room to cool down after a treatment, or relax by the fireplace. An exquisite mountain retreat.Active Holiday - There are lots of options for active holidaymakers close to the hotel, whether it's hiking, biking or climbingSpa breaks - The spa area includes massage facilities and a sauna with beautiful views of the surrounding mountainsRomantic Break - The secluded setting, beautiful vistas and comfortable beds make this hotel a favourite with couplesRemote - Off the beaten track.
Hotel Waxenstein Garmisch-Partenkirchen 40 rooms from £175
A delightful hotel nestled amongst the stunningly beautiful Bavarian Alps. The spacious, comfortable rooms are adorned with warm wooden headboards and furnishings. Perfectly suited to adventurous holiday makers, the surrounding area is a haven for skiing, climbing and walking. An alpine gem.Country Escape - The perfect country escape in the Bavarian Alps, with fantastic views, gourmet cuisine and plenty of outdoor pursuits.Total relaxation - Refresh mind and body with beauty and massage treatments, as well as whirlpool, sauna, steam room and infrared cabin.Great walks - There are endless beautiful walks around this area.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
Hotel Staudacherhof Garmisch-Partenkirchen 39 rooms from £193
A high quality hotel in the Bavarian town, Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Spacious and stylish rooms with mountain facing balconies. There are a host of alpine pursuits on tap, and the hotel's spa is the perfect sanctuary after a long day. Feast on regional specialties in the restaurant or on the terrace.Total relaxation - Leave all your worries behind at the deluxe hydrotherapy spa, complete with sauna, steam room and outdoor hot tub.Active Holiday - The perfect launch pad for a whole host of alpine pursuits such as skiing, mountain biking and trekking.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorViews - Great views from hotel