Rothenburg ob der Tauber
Search the best hotels in Rothenburg ob der Tauber
About Rothenburg ob der Tauber
Rothenburg ob der Tauber is a Bavarian medieval gem situated along Germany's "Romantic Road", overlooking the lush Tauber valley. It simply drips with olde worlde character and you can almost imagine fairy tale characters emerging from its brightly coloured half-timbered houses (or are they made of gingerbread?) which sit on narrow cobbled streets. The town is a magnet for day trippers, but if you plan to stay longer (and why wouldn't you?) use our guide to the best places to stay in Rothenburg ob der Tauber to help you find a charming spot right in the centre of town.
The medieval heart of the town is surrounded by ancient city walls which date back to the 1200s and despite being bombed during the second World War, it has been beautifully restored to its former glory. It's also nicely compact, which means that exploring on foot is the best way to get to know the place - lose yourself in the warren of little streets and imagine you're on the set of Pinocchio (apparently they based the film on this town).
What not to miss
- Plonlein Corner is the most visited and photographed spot in the town. But if you want to get the perfect photo, then come early in the morning or in the evening to avoid the crowds.
- Climb the town hall's tower to get a bird's eye view of both the town and surrounding countryside. You'll have to ascend some 220 steps, but it's worth it even on a dull day!
- There is no shortage of museums from the Imperial Town Museum to the Medieval Crime Museum. For something a little more light hearted stop into the Christmas Museum.
- Toppler Castle is about a 30 minute walk from the centre. It's a 14th century moated castle which is filled with period furniture from the 16th to 19th centuries.
- Visit the Castle Gardens from where you get more fantastic views, plus you can admire the 17th and 18th century geometric flower beds and their accompanying statues which are supposed to depict the four seasons.
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber is also well known for its Christmas market which starts in November and its Wine Festival held in the summer when you sample local food and wine and when they hold many musical concerts and events.
Don't forget that if you want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in Rothenburg ob der Tauber during the busy summer months, you'll need to get organised and book well ahead!
The best places to stay in Rothenburg ob der Tauber
For great value
- If you're on a budget we'd recommend the Hotel Gotisches Haus. It's a romantic property right in the centre of town and has 11 atmospheric rooms which start from as little as €103 per night.
- For a little more you can reserve a room in the Burg Hotel, whose prices start from €125 B&B. There are 15 rooms and suites plus a lovely terrace with stunning valley views, and a little spa for relaxing.
For central location
- Hotel Markusturm could not be more centrally situated! It's a beautiful 13th century building located next to the Markusturm tower which now houses 25 individually designed rooms which vary from the traditional to the contemporary. Plus there's a great restaurant and home-brewed beer!
- The Hotel Herrnschlossen has been converted from an 11th century castle, and is one of the town's oldest buildings. With just eight rooms and suites it offers an intimate and indulgent stay. Plus you'll find a beautiful baroque garden and fine dining restaurant.
For an apartment
- If you would rather book self catering accommodation we recommend you visit our partner Booking.com for a wide choice.
- The nearest airport is Nuremberg Airport, which is 90km away, but for International connections Frankfurt (118km) or Munich (240km) are the best options. Rothenburg has a railway station and there are direct trains from Munich, Nuremburg and Frankfurt.
- If you plan to hire a car to explore this stunning region, we recommend you visit our partner Rentalcars.
- Best time to visit for good weather is during the summer months when the average daily high is 23 degrees celcius, however this is peak season so the town will be full of tourists. We recommend a visit during the Spring or Autumn months when there will be less crowds. Or come in November/December and soak up the yuletide atmosphere.
Still not sure what to book?
Best Hotels in Rothenburg ob der Tauber
Hotel Gotisches Haus 11 rooms from £89Rothenburg ob der Tauber
A romantic hotel in the heart of Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Atmospheric rooms are decorated with warm hues, antique furniture and chintz prints. Indulgent breakfasts are served in the library featuring exposed stone and timber clad walls. Walking distance to many of the town's sights. Charming.Romantic Break - A historic and wonderously romantic hotel. Ideal for a weekend away for two.Local exploring - Step out of the front door and start roaming Rothenburg ob der Tauber.Sights nearby - Wander through the quaint streets and make sure to stop at St. Jakob’s Church.Local markets - During December be sure not to miss the excellent Christmas market.
Burg Hotel 19 rooms from £110Rothenburg ob der Tauber
A perfect base to explore the historic town of Rothenburg with stunning views to be enjoyed over breakfast and features a range of spacious rooms, suites and villas. Enjoy its extensive spa facilities, relax in the monastery's garden or rent a bike and go explore the Tauber Valley. A rural idyll.Total relaxation - Enjoy the stunning countryside and the spaBack to Nature - Explore the Tauber ValleyLocal markets - Has a wonderful Christmas marketGreat walks - Plenty of local hiking trails
Hotel Markusturm 25 rooms from £123Rothenburg ob der Tauber
A stunning 13th century building in the heart of medieval Rothenburg. All the rooms come with antique furnishings and a rich buffet breakfast is served every morning. With family rooms and babysitting services available it's perfect for a family break.Local exploring - Ideally placed for exploring, at the Markusturm tower right in the heart of medieval RothenburgLocal markets - Only a few minutes walk away from the local market-especially worth a visit at Christmas time!Great walks - Head out on foot to explore Rothenburg's historic centreFull of character
Hotel Herrnschlossen 8 rooms from £197Rothenburg ob der Tauber
Set within an 11th century castle this hotel is steeped in history with a modern touch. Rooms are decorated in a country-style with original brickwork and bathrooms with huge tubs. Charming garden for dining or relaxation plus a sauna in the former cellar. Gothic-style restaurant with good menu.Local exploring - Perfectly located to explore the town's Medieval attractions and the Tauber ValleySights nearby - As you walk around the historic town, you will see many of the 42 gate houses and towersGreat walks - Located inside the Frankenhöhe Nature Park