Search the best hotels in Tegernsee
Sitting peacefully along the shore of Lake Tegernsee, a lake that mirrors the sky is the resort town of Tegernsee. Flanked by a forested valley in the heart of the Bavarian Alps - a place teeming with ski trails, footpaths and the longest toboggan run in Germany - Tegernsee has long been a place synonymous with folk eager to get-away-from-it-all and replenish their city-weary souls. Once an important religious centre set around a prominent monastery, by the early 19th century the castle and monastery became the summer residence of the king of Bavaria, and quickly artists and nobles followed suit. Today it teems with sunbathing nudists, folk playing volleyball on the beach or rejuvenating themselves in the steamy bubbly waters of the lakeside spa. Nearby, crowning Walberg Mountain, stands the Wallbergkircherl - a tiny gorgeous offering sweeping, spellbinding panoramas of the valley - and scattered throughout the town are beer gardens, art galleries, museums and ancient parish churches. Picturesque, quiet and quaint, it is a great rural getaway. Our collection of the best places to stay in Tegernsee includes a contemporary lakeside boutique that promises intimacy and enchanting views.
What not to miss
- Hike up Walberg Mountain and see the pretty and tiny church crowning it - the views are priceless.
- Immerse yourself in the stories, songs and history of the region at the Museum of the Tegernsee Valley.
- Sunbathe naked by the lake (this is Germany after all!).
- Play volleyball on the beach.
- Soak in the spa, Monte Mare Tegernsee, beside the lake.
- Drink some of the renowned local beer at the Herzoglichen Braustuberl Tegernsee.
- If you're there during winter or early spring, enjoy the Rodelbahn am Wallberg - Germany's longest toboggan run - running at 6.5km's.
- Visit St. Quirinus Parish Church, an 11th century beauty, complete with a crypt and towers.
- Check out the Olaf Gulbransson Museum, featuring paintings and drawings by the much-loved Norwegian satirical artist.
Ideal for a weekend break or spa holiday, Tegernsee is surrounded by gorgeous scenery that replenishes the soul. Find out more by browsing our list of the best places to stay in Tegernsee.
The best places to stay in Tegernsee
- Hotel Leeberghof offers elegant accommodation overlooking the stunning Lake Tegernsee. Rooms combine contemporary and traditional design to great effect. Return to a drink in the atmospheric bar after a day spent hiking in the surrounding mountains. Ideal for outdoor enthusiasts.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- If you want to enjoy the ski trails of the Bavarian Alps, and Germany's longest toboggan run, go between February and March, when the temperature lies between -5 and 8 degrees; during the summer, the temperature ranges between 10 and 22 degrees.
- Fly to Munich and get a 50 minute train to Tegernsee.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Bavaria
- or Germany
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Tegernsee
Hotel Leeberghof 15 rooms from £89Tegernsee
Elegant accommodation overlooking the stunning Lake Tegernsee. Rooms combine contemporary and traditional design to great effect. Return to a drink in the atmospheric bar after a day spent hiking in the surrounding mountains. Ideal for outdoor enthusiasts.Back to Nature - Overlooking Lake Tegernsee, many rooms have stunning balcony views.Business meetings - The hotel has multimedia-equipped meeting and banquet facilities.Outstanding locationDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Michelin Travel