Search the best hotels in Weimar
The city at the heart of Germany's 18th century Enlightenment, Weimar is a picturesque place filled with beautiful public squares fronted by gorgeous late-Gothic houses, museums and manicured public parks, as well as a sobering reminder of the perils of fascism - the remnants of the Buchenwald concentration camp. Great thinkers, artists and composers spent their days in Weimar - Nietzsche, Goethe, Bach and Liszt to name a few - and it's the perfect destination for history-lovers, culture vultures and those with a keen interest in Germany's history. Our pick of the best places to stay in Weimar are a mix of chic boutiques and grand 4* hotels.
With a pick of eleven UNESCO listed World Heritage Sites all within walking distance of each other, Weimar is a cultural powerhouse. Add to this a good selection of shops, bars and restaurants and you have the perfect combination for a short city break.
What not to miss
- Visit the Bauhaus Museum of Art and Architecture.
- Pay homage to those murdered in cold blood by the Nazis at the Buchenwald concentration camp.
- Take in a concert or an operatic performance at the Nationaltheater.
- Stroll through the grounds of Belvedere Park.
- Check out Liszt House, it doubles up as a museum.
- Enjoy wandering around Goethe House and Museum.
- See the Herder Church, a beautiful 16th century church.
Don't forget that this is a busy year round destination, so if you want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in Weimar, you'll need to get organised and book well ahead.
The best places to stay in Weimar
- La Casa del Colori is an excellent hotel in the heart of Weimar's historic old town. Behind its orange facade are comfortable rooms that are light, spacious and colourful.
- Grande Albergo Giancarlo is a grand building in the Old Town of Weimer. Quirky individually decorated rooms feature antique furniture, bold colours and chandeliers. A delicious fresh breakfast is served every morning and there is a self-service Italian trattoria on the ground floor. A breath of fresh air in a superb location.
Value for money
- Hotel Pension am Goethehaus is a 300 year-old building that's been lovingly renovated to create a smart contemporary hotel. The elegant rooms, simple in design, boast large sash windows, parquet flooring and crisp white linen. Incredibly well located with many of the city's top sights within walking distance.
- Hotel Elephant is a luxury hotel standing proud in Weimar's main square. Generously proportioned rooms and suites plus up-to-the minute bathrooms. Excellent "urban-casual" restaurant featuring local Thuringian cuisine. Walking distance from many of the city's sights. A spoiling stay.
- Dorint am Goethehaus is 4-star hotel right in the heart of the city. Airy rooms with large sash windows, sink-into beds, crisp white linen and contemporary bathrooms. Enjoy regional cuisine in the fine-dining restaurant and cosy wood-panelled pub. Walking distance from the city centre. A chic city choice.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- The best time to go is during the summer, when the temperature ranges between 11 and 24 degrees. However Weimar is a popular year round destination.
- Fly to Leipzig International Airport, and get a train to Weimar. It takes between 1 hour and 1.30 hours.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Weimar
Hotel Pension am Goethehaus Weimar 20 rooms from £68
A 300 year-old building that's been lovingly renovated to create a smart contemporary hotel. The elegant rooms, simple in design, boast large sash windows, parquet flooring and crisp white linen. Incredibly well located with many of the cities top sights within walking distance. A chic choice.Local exploring - Well located in a central part of the city with many of the major attractions within walking distance.Value chic - A luxurious contemporary hotel that comes at a very reasonable price.Sights nearby - The fascinating Duchess Anna Amalia Library is just five minutes from the property.Local markets - The Christmas market is not to be missed during the season.
La Casa del Colori Weimar 10 rooms from £73
Excellent hotel in the heart of Weimar's historic old town. Behind its orange facade are comfortable rooms; light, spacious and colourful. Step out the door into the city centre and visit the homes of Weimar cultural icons such as Schiller and Goethe. Breakfast is a spread of local treats.Local exploring - Explore the historic Old Town - its sights are on your doorstepValue chic - A great value stay in the heart of Weimar’s Old TownLocal markets - Explore the local markets in the historic old town of Weimar.Sights nearby - Opposite St Peter and Paul's church.
Grande Albergo Giancarlo Weimar (Puschkinstraße 1) 20 rooms from £104
A grand building in the Old Town of Weimer. Quirky individually decorated rooms, with antique furniture, bold colours and chandeliers. A delicious fresh breakfast is served every morning and there is a self-service Italian trattoria on the ground floor. A breath of fresh air in a superb location.Local exploring - SItuated in the heart of the Old Town of Weimar with all tourist attractions within walking distance.City Style - Sleek and comfotable rooms, with modern decor and individual flair, ideally placed in the old city.Sights nearby - The City Palace is just down the road and is a must for anyone interested in history.Local markets - Any winter guests must visit the Weimar Christmas Market.
Hotel Elephant Weimar 99 rooms from £113
A luxury hotel standing proud in Weimar town square. Generously proportioned rooms and suites are done in a style evoking the 1920s and 30s, but feature all the accessories you'd expect. Excellent restaurant and you're walking distance from many of the city's sights. A spoiling stay.City Style - A grand luxury hotel complete with elegant reception rooms and restaurants ideal for glamorous evenings.Sights nearby - Take a tour through the historic Old Town.Romantic - Good for couples.Traditional
Dorint am Goethehaus Weimar 143 rooms from £115
A 4-star hotel right in the heart of the city. Airy rooms with large sash windows, sink-into beds, crisp white linen and contemporary bathrooms. Enjoy regional cuisine in the fine-dining restaurant and cosy wood-panelled pub. Walking distance from the city centre. A chic city choice.Local exploring - Excellently located for exploring on foot, just a three minute walk from the city centre and opposite Goethe Park.Sights nearby - Make a trip to the imposing Baroque Schloss Belvedere and manicured gardens.TraditionalRecommended by - CN Traveller