Search the best hotels in Würzburg
Würzburg is a beautiful, lively, liveable city. It’s in a scenic spot, on both sides of the Main River, and is known for its graceful architecture, impressive art collections and its local wine. The town’s most famous building is its Residenz, once home to the prince-bishops who ruled this region, and now a UNESCO Heritage Site and thought of as one of Germany’s most beautiful Baroque buildings and a high point of the Baroque form. Our Guru’s recommendations for the best places to stay in Würzburg include a central option in a traditional, local style and a winery hotel converted from a monastery which is outside town.
You might think of Germany more as a beer destination than a wine one, but Franconia, of which Würzburg is the capital, may change your mind. And you’ll find many of the best places to stay in Würzburg have impressive cellars for you to taste from.
What Not To Miss
- A visit to Wurzburg wouldn't be complete without visiting its most famous building - the majestic Residenz. The palace is vast with ornate stonework and immaculate grounds. To make the most of the trip, visitors should take a guided tour of the equally impressive interior. There's no shortage of impressive artwork and the whole experience offers a fascinating glimpse back in history.
- If a visit to the Residenz captivates you then it's certainly also worth exploring the Hofkirche, a chapel with a simply jaw-dropping interior. Elegant columns lead up to a intricately painted ceiling that belies the modest exterior of the chapel.
- For a superb view of Wurzburg and a look back at the military history of the area, it's worth visiting the towering Marienburg Fortress. Set on a hill looking imposingly across Wurzburg, the climb can be strenuous but the views and garden make it worthwhile.
- Enjoy a glass of the local vintage and a spot of people watching at the Alte Mainbruecke - an historic bridge crossing the Main river, which enjoys a really pleasant atmosphere and great views.
- Alternatively, take a drive along the wonderfully named Romantic Road, which features charmingly historic and colourful buildings and stunning scenery.
Our gurus selection of the best places to stay in Wurzburg act as great bases to explore the beautiful town and surrounding region.
The best places to stay in Wurzburg
Just outside Town
- Just out of town is the Weingut Meintzinger, a charming hotel and winery with 29 comfortable, characterful rooms. All converted from a monastery. As well as easy access to Würzburg this is a great base for walking and hiking.
For an apartment
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday, don't hesitate to visit our online partner, Booking.com for a great selection of centrally-located properties, perfect for exploring the town.
- Fly to Nuremberg Airport located 104km (64 miles) from Wurzburg with a wide selection of flights across Europe and further afield.
- Alternatively, catch a train to Wurzburg with extensive rail links across Western Germany.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the beautiful town and surrounding region, we recommend visiting our online partner Rentalcars.
- Best time to visit - the summer months from June to September for the warmest weather ideal for exploring the town and countryside beyond.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Würzburg,
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Bavaria,
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Würzburg
Best Hotels in Würzburg
Weingut Meintzinger Frickenhausen am Main, Bavaria 29 rooms from £108Local exploring - Explore the history and culture of this fascinating former monastery, in the village of Frickenhausen on the River Main.Sights nearby - Take a day trip to Würzburg and visit the Old University, Botanic Gardens and Cathedral.Great walks - Great walking opportunities around Meintzinger with lots of well-signposted hiking routes.
A charming hotel and winery in the quaint Bavarian village of Frickenhausen. The rooms blend modern aesthetics with traditional furniture, making them both comfortable and characterful. Sample the hotel's wine in the atmospheric wine cellar. Perfect for a fun weekend in Bavaria. See More
Hotel Wurzburger Hof Würzburg 34 rooms from £111Local exploring - Boasting a central location close to exhibitions, trade fair grounds, the banks of the Main and transport linksSights nearby - The Residenz Palace, Marienberg Fortress, St. Kilian Cathedral, Schönborn Chapel and the Botanic Gardens are nearbyGreat walks - Walk the Stone-Wine Path and enjoy the picturesque landscapesViews - Great views from hotel
A central hotel set in a grand period building. The large, airy communal areas have period features with stucco and antique furniture. Modern bedrooms are styled distinctly; all are spacious, with armchairs, writing desks, patterned fabrics and bold colours. A charming and convenient stay. See More
Schlosshotel Steinburg Würzburg 69 rooms from £154Local exploring - Set on a hill above the beautiful baroque Wertzberg, just a short trip into the city and handy for exploring the nearby hillsGreat walks - Walk the Stone-Wine Path to explore the winemaking heritage through one of the most famous wine-growing regions in GermanySights nearby - Visit the nearby Residenz Palace, Marienberg Fortress, St. Kilian Cathedral, Schönborn Chapel or the Botanical gardensRomantic - Good for couples.
A luxury hotel nestled on the Wurzburg hills offering wonderful views over the surrounding wineries. Individually styled bedrooms range room from classic and elegant to bright and contemporary. Feast on superb cuisine in the fine dining restaurant, and the indulgent pool and sauna are a real treat. See More