Search the best hotels in Alappuzha
Alappuzha, or Alleppey as it’s sometimes known, is the gateway to Kerala’s famed backwaters. This beautiful region is renowned for its tranquil waterways, historic towns and picturesque landscapes, and is a wonderful destination for a relaxing holiday as a couple, family or group of friends. There’s a great range of accommodation options in Alappuzha, including heritage properties and simple guesthouses, fit for a whole host of tastes and budgets. The best places to stay in Alappuzha are right on the water — perfect for admiring the scenery!
The backwaters are the main attraction in Alappuzha, and you’ll find ample opportunities to go kayaking, canoeing, fishing or sailing with an experienced crew. You can also take boat trips to see ancient temples and churches, or to visit spice plantations and coconut farms. Out on the water you’ll see fishermen casting their nets, women washing their clothes and families bathing in the river — a very different scene from the hustle and bustle of the city!
Back in town, you’ll find an array of boutiques selling everything from hand-woven textiles to jewellery and handicrafts. There are also some excellent museums, including one dedicated to Kerala’s famous matrilineal society. The annual Nehru Trophy Boat Race is held in Alappuzha every August — don’t miss it!
Whether you’re dreaming of kicking back on the beach or exploring Kerala’s cultural highlights with your family or friends, the best places to stay in Alappuzha offer a brilliant base for a memorable trip.
The best places to stay in Alappuzha
Back to Nature
- If you're looking for a fully immersive nature filled backwater experience, then Our Land is the property to book. There are a handful of bungalows and a tree house here, all spotlessly clean and simply finished. Activities included guided bird-watching walks, sunset kayaks and ayurvedic massage. The delicious home cooked meals offer daily changing menu. An authentic experience.
For a heritage stay
- Raheem Residence was built by a "Britisher" back in 1868 and has now been transformed into a small heritage hotel. Each of the ten bedrooms is individually designed and crammed with antiques, rich fabrics and original art. Plus there's a pool and restaurant serving traditional Keralan cuisine.
For a lakeside resort
- Punnamada Resort enjoys a superb waterside location on the shores of Vembanad Lake. Accommodation comes in a collection of villas offering a touch of classic, timeless style and a real feel of understated luxury. The restaurant serves delicious South Indian dishes (and a smattering of international plates) plus there's a pool, yoga and ayurvedic treatments and activities, both on and off the water, galore.
- Cochin Airport (about 75km away) is the nearest large airport, grab a taxi from here or ask your hotel to organise a transfer. Alappuzha is also well connected by rail from other major Indian cities.
- If you wish to hire a car, we recommend you check out the prices with Rentalcars
- Alappuzha is a popular destination year round, however weather wise the best time to visit is from December to February — the temperature sits between 17 and 32°C during these months, perfect for sightseeing. June to September should be avoided; this is monsoon season!
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to includ all the best hotels on Vembanad Lake
- Widen the net even further to include all our Kerala recommendations
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly gurus for personalised advice.
Monthly Weather in Alappuzha
Best Hotels in Alappuzha
Our Land Alappuzha (Punnapra Pallathuruthy) 6 rooms from £66Back to Nature - Escape to a secluded backwater island on the banks of the holy Pamba River.Hideaway - Isolated and serene, it's perfect for a hideaway holiday.Sights nearby - Four miles from the Ambalapuzha Sree Krishna Temple.Birdwatching - Superb birdwatching with some 105 local species.
This Eco getaway is about getting fully immersed in nature. For the more intrepid traveller who is content with rustic simplicity and an authentic experience. Not for those who like their creature comforts - although there are plenty of creatures to keep you comfort! A bird watcher's paradise. See More
Raheem Residency Alappuzha (Kerala) 10 rooms from £70Sailing - The hotel can help organise a trip on a classic snake boat or spend a night on a houseboat.Great walks - The iconic rice paddy fields are best explored on foot.Sights nearby - Visit the nearby Jain and Serpent temples.Cooking classes - Check for timings.Recommended by - I Escape
A homely southern India stay providing guests with an authentic slice of boutique beach life. Each of the ten rooms are of an excellent size, filled with antiques and feature ornate four posters, rich fabrics and original art. There are daily yoga classes and a traditional spa. A welcome break. See More
Punnamada Resort Alappuzha (Kottankulangara) 36 rooms from £99Sights nearby - Visit the nearby Ambalapuzha Sree Krishna Temple.Fishing - Fishing trips can be organised on Vembanad Lake.Local markets - Explore the bustling local market in Alleppey.Birdwatching - Nine miles from the Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary.