Search the best hotels in Mumbai
Navigating Mumbai is a challenge. Stretching along seven islands and a long peninsula, this is a big city. Each district has its own noted attractions and atmosphere. We have carefully listed the hotels to give you the best experience of the different faces of Mumbai. Whether your trip is for business, pleasure, or history and culture, the Hotel Guru has done the research for you and can recommend the best places to stay in Mumbai.
Where To Stay
- If you're here for the museums then it's probably best to stay in Mumbai Central West, perhaps in Tardeo.
- For budget travellers, most of the city's hostels are located near Dhangar Wadi.
- If you're only visiting for a short period of time and want the airport within easy access then check out accommodation in Santacruz East.
What Not To Miss
- Stroll along the Bandra-Worli Sea Link bridge, opened in 2009, which offers splendid views of the city. This architectural masterpiece is a beautiful spot from which to enjoy the sunset.
- Visit the Shree Siddhivinayak Temple to learn all about Hinduism, especially the Lord Shri Ganesh to whom it's dedicated. Marvel at the inner roof, covered in gold, and at the ornate decorations.
- The Gothic Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus is a glorious spot to visit; a train station featuring stained-glass windows, wonderful spires, domed arches and elaborately carved pillars.
- Head off on a ferry ride around the area and go see the Gateway of India, a large stone archway built in 1911 to welcome the King and Queen of England.
- If the kids fancy taking a break from all the sightseeing then spend an afternoon at Water Kingdom, set in 64 acres and offering a large variety of thrilling rides.
Use our guide to the best places to stay in Mumbai and start to plan your visit to this fascinating city.
For The City Centre
- The Sofitel BKC is wonderfully situated bang in the centre of town and offers accommodation from as little as £70 a night! Their sparking rooms feature plush velvet and plenty of mirrors, whist there are also four restaurants to choose from.
- Hyatt Regency Mumbai and the Grand Hyatt Mumbai boast simple contemporary rooms with pleasant gardens. Great for casual city breaks and two of the best places to stay in Mumbai for families.
- The Leela Mumbai features lavish interior design with its fine silks, rich velvets and artwork on the walls. Located just five minutes from the airport, it's also a great base from which to explore the city's sights.
- Waterstones is a trendy contemporary hotel 1.5kms from the airport, so fairly central. A complete winner with its fabulous Olympic-sized infinity pool and fitness club.
- JW Marriot Mumbai Star is a glitzy stay in the centre of town, offering sleek accommodation and an extensive spa. Tuck into gourmet Italian cuisine from the restaurant.
Primarily the financial and business district, but it's also a good base if you're here to see the museums, forts, temples and hanging gardens. The Colaba area on the southern tip is a lively neighbourhood packed with bars, markets and street stalls which are open from the early morning until late into the evening.
- The Gordon House Hotel has just 20 stylish rooms in an excellent location in the old town of Colaba. More Mediterranean than Indian, this hotel also has its own nightclub.
- The Taj Mahal Palace and The Oberoi are also located in the south, see Hotels for Luxury below.
- Chateau Windsor offers clean and comfortable rooms, in a good location. Ideal for those who are on a budget.
- Vivanta By Taj President is a top all round spot, offering classical accommodation in neutral tones and with lovely views of the harbour. Come back after a day sightseeing to unwind in the spa before exploring its wide array of dining options.
- Abode, Mumbai is a boutique stay - offering accommodation typical of the region with tiled floors and antiques. Rooms start from just £64 per night. Enjoy a good book from the library or pamper yourself in the spa.
- Trident Nariman Point offer bright, airy and spacious rooms with splendid views across the Arabian Sea. This chic modern spot also boasts two award-winning restaurants, a spoling spa and an outdoor pool - what more could you ask for?
- Hotel Marine Plaza, located on Marine Drive, offers simple yet chic rooms drawing inspiration from typical Indian decor. Enjoy a refreshing dip in the rooftop pool and tuck into Chinese cuisine at the restaurant.
- The Four Seasons Mumbai offers smart, classically styled rooms as well as a fabulous spa featuring a range of beauty treatments. The rooftop pool is a lovely place to soak up the sun and private yoga classes are also available to help you truly unwind.
If you want to be close to the film, media and fashion world, book a hotel in Western Mumbai. This area is creative, cosmopolitan and casual, with lots of restaurants and boutique shops.
- The InterContinental is smaller and cosier than Mumbai's other big name hotels, with 58 rooms, but it's just as luxurious. The famous Dome Bar on the roof has incredible views over Marine Drive.
- The Trident at Bandra Kurla offers something smart in the commercial district, with plenty of natural light and interesting design features. This is the only hotel in the Bandra Kurla Complex, so a sound choice for business travellers.
- Le Sutra in Khar is a great choice. Many of the hotels in this area are super modern and soulless, but Le Sutra's 14 rooms are each based on an Indian myth or custom, so it's got a 'boutique-y' feel.
- The Svenska Design Hotel has clean, Scandi lines and state-of-the-art everything, with ipod docking, Wii consoles and ipads all complimentary. There's also a Japanese rooftop bar, where you may run into local tycoons.
Where to stay if nothing but the best will do!
- Built in 1903, The Taj Mahal Palace has hosted Maharajas, Viceroys, Heads of State and stars of music and screen. It looks out onto the Gateway to India, is home to significant art and has one of the loveliest gardens and pools in the world. If you're after total luxury this is the best place to stay in Mumbai.
- Plush, modern and very comfortable, The Oberoi has views over Marine Drive and out to sea. Known worldwide for its service and comfort, it also has its own quality boutiques.
- The St. Regis Mumbai is a 5* property, boasting truly luxurious accommodation featuring breathtaking city views. There's a range of fantastic dining options and all the necessary mod cons to ensure you have a simply stunning stay.
- Taj Lands End is a glorious spot offering smart rooms decorated in rich colours and with luxurious bathrooms. Enjoy al-fresco dining as you marvel at the unspoilt views of the Arabian Sea! A first-rate stay.
- The Taj Santacruz is brimming with opulence, featuring palatial common spaces and sleek contemporary accommodation. Enjoy gourmet cuisine and unwind in the extensive spa. Plus, it's a perfect option for a quick visit, located within Mumbai's airport complex.
For Great Value
- The Orchid's a great value all round spot, offering classically styled rooms starting from £63 per night as well as a rooftop pool and spa. Enjoy lively evenings at the karaoke bar.
- Clean, comfortable and quiet, The Regent Hotel is a great choice for budget travellers - with rooms from just £53. Breakfast is catered and you're right in Colaba, so there are plenty of places to eat nearby.
- The Hotel Bawa Continental is a glass fronted property within walking distance of Juhu beach. The perfect spot for people watching. It offers tasteful, unfussy accommodation starting at £53 a night and an a la carte restaurant.
- Hotel Godwin is a budget hotel which boasts its own rooftop lounge and restaurant with views of the Arabian sea and the city. A good central location in the heart of the prime shopping area.
For An Apartment
- If you'd rather the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- It never gets that cold in Mumbai, however you should probably avoid coming during monsoon season - from mid June to August. Also be warned that the periods preceding and following monsoon season are marked by extremely high levels of humidity.
- It's best to visit between December and February, as it's not overly humid at this time and the weather's cool enough (at around 25°C) for you to head off sightseeing during the day.
- International guests can fly into Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, located right in the heart of the city.
- Jet Airways, British Airways and Air India fly here daily from London Heathrow, with the flight time just over 9 hours.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Mumbai
The Regent Hotel Mumbai (Colaba) 44 rooms from £52
A good 3-star option close to all the tourist attractions in Colaba. Value for money in a prime spot. Clean, light rooms, some can accommodate larger groups. A buffet breakfast is included in the rate. A simple stay in a great location.Sights nearby - Iconic Churchgate is great for local history.Local markets - Nearby Fashion Street is great for shopping.
Hotel Bawa Continental Mumbai (Juhu Vile Parle West) 32 rooms from £52
A glass fronted hotel within walking distance of Juhu beach. Rooms are simple but tasteful, an a la carte restaurant and coffee bar with snacks in house and there are plenty of restaurants to explore nearby. The perfect spot for people watching, the film and media world is on your doorstep.Sights nearby - The iconic Juhu Beach is a short walk away.Views - Views of the Arabian sea.
Chateau Windsor Mumbai (Churchgate) 50 rooms from £54
Great value, comfortable hotel in a good location. Explore the historical south. Enjoy the galleries and museums. The hanging gardens are worth a visit. No frills here, breakfast and snacks are served at the sea view rooftop terrace with plenty of culinary options from local eateries.Local exploring - Good location for South Mumbai, Marine Drive and moments from Churchgate train station.Sights nearby - Walking distance from Mumbai's iconic Gateway to India.Great walks - Take a walk along the iconic Marine DriveViews - Great views from hotel
Abode, Mumbai Mumbai (M.B. Marg) 20 rooms from £62
A unique, quintessentially Bombay stay. Thoughtfully designed rooms feature typical Bharat tiles, antique furnishings and some, roll-top baths. There is an all day café, sitting room, library (filled with books on India) and a spa. A boutique lover's dream.Sights nearby - Explore Bandra, the home of many of India's Bollywood stars for a tour.Great walks - Along Marine Drive, finishing on Chowpatty Beach.Local markets - Sample Bombay's famous street food.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
The Orchid Mumbai (Maharashtra) 372 rooms from £63
The carbon footprint conscious eco-warrior can sleep easy in Mumbai's flagship 'green' hotel. Rooms are decorated in a classic style. Club rooms feature separate sitting rooms. You will naturally gravitate towards the rooftop pool, and perhaps away from the Karaoke Bar. There is also a spa and gym.Eco break - One of India's first hotels to be awarded the Ecotel Certification.Value chic - Doubles available from £63 - excellent value.Restrictions on children - Chlidren cannot be accommodated.Swimming Pool - Rooftop.
Hotel Godwin Mumbai (Colaba Causeway) 52 rooms from £64
You'll find the Hotel Godwin in Colaba, the busy southern district of Mumbai. It boasts a rooftop lounge and restaurant with views of the Arabian sea and the city. The rooms are clean and compact but each has a veranda. A good central location in the heart of the prime shopping area.Views - Views of the Arabian Sea from the roof terrace.Sights nearby - The Gateway to India is a short distance.
Mango Beach House – The Retreat @ Kihim Mumbai (District Raigad) 14 rooms from £65
A hidden gem just south of Mumbai. A chic hotel with an air of exclusivity. Gorgeous, but simply decorated rooms and suites surrounding a swimming pool. Excellent service too. There's a spa on the adjacent property at the Farmhouse. Ideal for romantic hideaways and exclusive use.Total relaxationCountry EscapeSwimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolSights nearby - Well located for major sights.
The Sofitel BKC Mumbai (Bandra Kurla Complex) 302 rooms from £70
Located in BKC, a short distance from trendy Bandra, the Sofitel provides a luxurious and modern stay. Rooms feature plenty of mirrors, plush velvet and sparkle; a far cry from the corporate hotels in the area. All this plus four restaurants, a rooftop pool, an excellent spa, and gym.Value chic - Chic rooms and fantastic facilities from as little as £70 per night.Great walks - A walk along Marine Drive ending with an icecream on Chowpatty Beach is an iconic Bombay activity.Sights nearby - Head to Coloba where you can see India Gate.Local markets - Good for local colour.
Gordon House Hotel Mumbai (Appolo Bunder) 28 rooms from £75
Comfortable, small and stylish in an excellent location in the old town of Colaba. Simple-chic rooms range from beach style to Mediterranean glamour. The hotel's restaurant All Stir Fry serves up delicious dishes and The Havana Bar takes care of drinks. There is even a nightclub - Polly Esther's.Local markets - Colaba market has some excellent curios, contemporary and traditional Indian jewellery, and clothing.Sights nearby - The Gateway to India, the Royal Bombay Yacht Club and other sights are within walking distance.Recommended by - Fodors
Vivanta by Taj President Mumbai (Maharashtra) 287 rooms from £80
Located in Cuffe Parade: close enough to South Mumbai's attractions without being in the thick of it. Rooms are decorated in a classic style with neutral tones and fantastic views across the harbour. There are plenty of five star dining options plus a gym, JIVA spa and pool. A firm favourite.Local markets - Pick up some new threads at Fashion Street - just a short walk away.Sights nearby - Colaba's attractions are just a ten minute walk away.Swimming Pool - Outdoor.Spa
Svenska Design Hotel Mumbai (Shastri Nagar) 29 rooms from £81
Trendy hotel decorated in a minimalist Swedish style located in Mumbai's suburbs. State-of-the art rooms with all the mod cons in minimalist style. Award-winning cuisine and roof top dining area. Great business facilities too. A stylish spot.Swimming Pool - Not on-site, but the hotel provides a complimentary shuttle service.Spa - In rooms massage available.
The Leela Mumbai Mumbai (Andheri East) 391 rooms from £83
Leela has become synonymous with lavish design and the avant-garde and its Mumbai offering is no exception. Decor is a successful blend of modern meets Moghul with fine silks, rich velvets, Indian artworks and hand woven rugs. Enjoy the fine dining and spa. Located five minutes from the airport.Local markets - Chor Bazaar is Mumbai's answer to London's Portobello Road - everything can be found here.Sights nearby - Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya is Mumbai's largest museum.Full of characterDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
Trident at Bandra Kurla Mumbai (Bandra Kurla Complex,) 435 rooms from £83
Smart and stylish hotel in Mumbai's commercial district. Well appointed guest rooms and suites, a wide range of restaurants, a relieving outdoor swimming pool, fantastic spa and a fitness centre. Its location and extensive conference facilities make it ideal for business trips.Swimming Pool - Lovely outdoor pool.Spa
Waterstones Mumbai (Andheri, Western Suburbs) 99 rooms from £83
A trendy contemporary hotel 1.5kms from the International airport. . Meeting rooms are available with state-of-the-art facilities. Each guest room is original and displays it's own theme based on nature. A complete winner with it's fabulous olympic sized infinity pool and fitness club, hard to beat.Kids Club - Fully staffed.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.SpaSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Hotel Marine Plaza Mumbai (Maharashtra) 68 rooms from £86
Located on Mumbai's most famous road, Marine Drive, this time tested favourite features an English style pub, Geoffrey’s, and Chinese cuisine at The Oriental Blossom. The rooms are decorated with Indian accents and most feature sea views. There is an impressive rooftop pool, as well as a gym.Local markets - Colaba market is great for jewellery (fashion and traditional Indian).Sights nearby - You must not miss the Gateway to India.Great walks - Along Mumbai's iconic Marine Drive.Views - Great views from hotel
Taj Lands End Mumbai (Maharashtra) 493 rooms from £93
Located in the popular Bandra area, Taj Lands End stands out amidst the other five star hotels. Rooms decorated in rich colours feature luxurious bathrooms. There is an inviting outdoor pool and plenty of al-fresco dining options which make the most of those Arabian Sea views. Cuisine is top drawer.Kids Club - Fully staffed.Views - Great views from hotelSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorSpa
Le Sutra Mumbai (Hanuman Nagar, Pali Hill) 18 rooms from £94
Petit boutique hotel close to the fashion, film and media world in the suburb of Khar. A relaxed oasis set back from the bustle. Excellent Mediterranean food, lovely rooms, and artistic ambience. A characterful gem set apart from the usually super modern hotels.Secluded setting - For escaping.SpaQuirky - An experience!Recommended by - I Escape
Grand Hyatt Mumbai Mumbai (Maharashtra) 547 rooms from £100
Providing accommodation worthy of its five star address the Grand Hyatt has it all - even its own nightclub! Light and contemporary rooms are juxtaposed with dark marble bathrooms. There are plenty of on-site activities including the Christiaan Georgio salon and must mention China House restaurant.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorSpa
Hyatt Regency Mumbai Mumbai (Maharashtra) 401 rooms from £104
Clean and contemporary rooms provide a great base during your stay. With pleasant gardens, an enticing pool and the renowned Club Prana Spa there are plenty of ways to unwind or take advantage of the well equipped fitness centre. Casual dining comes courtesy of STAX and Glasshouse. A great choice.Swimming Pool - Outdoor.Spa
Trident Nariman Point Mumbai (Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Road) 555 rooms from £107
Enjoying unspoilt views across the Arabian Sea you could not ask for a better positioned hotel. On Marine Drive, Mumbai's most famous road, this refreshingly modern hotel provides several fine dining options. Rooms are bright and airy with panoramic windows and a hint towards a nautical feel.Great walks - Along Marine Drive, on which the hotel is located, is a favoured walking spot for courting couples.Sights nearby - Mumbai CST station is within walking disance and an architectural feat.Local markets - Find everything and anything you're looking for at Chor Bazaar.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool with great views over Marine Drive
Four Seasons Mumbai Mumbai (Worli) 202 rooms from £111
One of Mumbai's best addresses with views of the Arabian Sea and the famous AER rooftop bar. Boasting a fabulous spa providing Rossano Ferretti salon, Ayurvedic treatments, personal training and much more. Rooms are decorated in a classic style with Indian accents. There is an inviting rooftop pool.Great walks - The iconic Chowpatty Beach is great for a stroll at sunset.Sights nearby - A walk along Marine Drive to the famous India Gate.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Views - Great views from hotel
JW Marriott Mumbai Sahar Mumbai (Andheri) 585 rooms from £115
New and flashy hotel located moment from Mumbai airport. Glitzy rooms are decorated in neutral and metallic palettes with swish bathrooms and large bathtubs. A truly lavish way to unwind pre or post flight. Delicious Italian meals are served at Romano's or make a worthwhile trip to the spa.Spa - Featuring plunge pools, steam room, Ayurvedic treatments and range of massages.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool with separate area for childrenSights nearby - Explore the best of Mumbai
InterContinental Marine Drive Mumbai Mumbai (135 Netaji Subhash Road) 58 rooms from £127
Smaller and cosier than the other big hitters, but equally luxurious. Spacious contemporary rooms with excellent views. Famous Dome bar on the roof top with unrivalled views over Marine Drive. Popular Thai restaurant Koh and fabulous roof top pool. Chic and intimate.Views - Fantastic views over Marine Drive from the roof top terrace bar.Sights nearby - The iconic Gatewat to India is within walking distance.Great walks - Along Marine Drive: it's a must.Swimming Pool - Lovely outdoor pool.
Taj Santacruz Mumbai (Maharashtra) 279 rooms from £135
Located within Mumbai's airport complex, Taj's newest property provides convenience and luxury. The spaces are palatial as are the beautifully decorated rooms and modern bathrooms. There is an outdoor pool, spa and 24 hour fitness centre. Gourmet cuisine is served courtesy of China Inc and Rivea.Great walks - Enjoy a stroll along the promenade at nearby Juhu Beach.OpulentSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorSpa
The St. Regis Mumbai Mumbai (Maharashtra) 395 rooms from £138
Conveniently located five star accommodation. Luxurious suites and bathrooms feature city views. Dine on Asian dishes at Yuuka and By the Mekong or Indian dishes at The Sahib Room. There is an outdoor pool located on the 10th floor, Iridium Spa and Jean-Claude Biguine salon. Lavish city style.Local exploring - Right by the Worli Seaface so ideally located for both the centre of town and BandraCity Style - One of Mumbai's top hotels boasting some of its best restaurantsSights nearby - The iconic Haji Ali Dargah is very close bySwimming Pool - Outdoor rooftop pool
The Oberoi Mumbai Mumbai 337 rooms from £200
Huge, plush and ultra-comfortable contemporary hotel on Nariman Point. Exceptional views out to see and over Marine Drive. Floor to ceiling windows, marble floors, and rich furnishings. A smart tourist attraction in itself with its many high quality boutiques.Sights nearby - Situated in Old Town (Colaba), it is minutes from the Gateway of India.Views - Fantastic views over Marine Drive.SpaSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Tablet, Kiwi Collection
The Taj Mahal Palace Mumbai 516 rooms from £459
Designed to have the last word in opulence and luxury. The Taj’s reputation remains intact and is now much of a tourist attraction in itself. It sits looking out to see over the Gateway of India. A timeless classic with artworks, beautiful gardens, and a world-class restaurant.City StyleSwimming Pool - Stunning Outdoor PoolSpaLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Tablet, Fodors, Kiwi Collection