Search the best hotels in Mumbai
Navigating Mumbai is a challenge. Stretching along seven islands and a long peninsula, this is a big city; each district has its own noted attractions and atmosphere. We have carefully listed the hotels to give you the best experience of the different faces of Mumbai. Whether your trip is for business, pleasure, or history and culture, The Hotel Guru has done the research for you and can recommend the best places to stay in Mumbai. We've scoured the city and come up with what we think is a comprehensive selection from five star luxury grand dames, to authentic guesthouses and up-to-the-minute design hotels.
A stroll along the Bandra-Worli Sea Link bridge, opened in 2009, offers splendid views of the city and is a real must on any trip. This architectural masterpiece is a beautiful spot from which to enjoy the sunset. For a dose of culture, the Shree Siddhivinayak Temple is a fascinating place to learn all about Hinduism, especially the Lord Shri Ganesh to whom it's dedicated. Marvel at the inner roof, covered in gold, and at the ornate decorations. While the Gothic Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus is a glorious spot to visit; a train station featuring stained-glass windows, wonderful spires, domed arches and elaborately carved pillars. Another remnant of the city's colonial past is the Gateway of India, a large stone archway built in 1911 to welcome the King and Queen of England. Jump on one of the local ferries and enjoy the impressive structure from the water.
This is a fascinating, fast and diverse city. Use our guide to the best places to stay in Mumbai and start to plan your visit.
The best places to stay in Mumbai
For The City Centre
- The Sofitel BKC is wonderfully situated bang in the centre of town and offers smart five star accommodation. The sparkling rooms feature plush velvet and plenty of mirrors, whilst there are also four restaurants to choose from.
- Hyatt Regency Mumbai and the Grand Hyatt Mumbai both offer simple contemporary rooms with pleasant gardens. Great for casual city breaks and two of the best places to stay in Mumbai for families.
- The Leela Mumbai features lavish interior design with its fine silks, rich velvets and artwork on the walls. Located just five minutes from the airport, it's also a great base from which to explore the city's sights.
- Waterstones is a trendy contemporary hotel 1.5kms from the airport, so fairly central. A complete winner with its fabulous Olympic-sized infinity pool and fitness club.
- JW Marriot Mumbai Star is a glitzy stay in the centre of town, offering sleek accommodation, an extensive spa and gourmet Italian restaurant.
Primarily the financial and business district, but it's also a good base if you're here to see the museums, forts, temples and hanging gardens. The Colaba area on the southern tip is a lively neighbourhood packed with bars, markets and street stalls which are open from the early morning until late into the evening.
- The Gordon House Hotel has just 20 stylish rooms in an excellent location in the old town of Colaba. More Mediterranean than Indian, this hotel also has its own nightclub.
- The Taj Mahal Palace and The Oberoi are also located in the south, see Hotels for Luxury below.
- Chateau Windsor offers clean and comfortable rooms, in a good location. Ideal for those who are on a budget.
- Vivanta By Taj President is a top all round spot, offering classical accommodation in neutral tones and with lovely views of the harbour. Come back after a day sightseeing to unwind in the spa before exploring its wide array of dining options.
- Abode, Mumbai is a boutique stay - offering accommodation typical of the region with tiled floors and antiques, and very competitive prices. Enjoy a good book from the library or pamper yourself in the spa.
- Trident Nariman Point offers bright, airy and spacious rooms with splendid views across the Arabian Sea. This chic modern spot also boasts two award-winning restaurants, a spoiling spa and an outdoor pool - what more could you ask for?
- Hotel Marine Plaza, located on Marine Drive, offers simple yet chic rooms drawing inspiration from typical Indian decor. Enjoy a refreshing dip in the rooftop pool and tuck into Chinese cuisine at the restaurant.
- The Four Seasons Mumbai offers smart, classically styled rooms as well as a fabulous spa featuring a range of beauty treatments. The rooftop pool is a lovely place to soak up the sun and private yoga classes are also available to help you truly unwind.
If you want to be close to the film, media and fashion world, book a hotel in Western Mumbai. This area is creative, cosmopolitan and casual, with lots of restaurants and boutique shops.
- The InterContinental is smaller and cosier than Mumbai's other big name hotels, with 58 rooms, but it's just as luxurious. The famous Dome Bar on the roof has incredible views over Marine Drive.
- The Trident at Bandra Kurla offers something smart in the commercial district, with plenty of natural light and interesting design features. This is the only hotel in the Bandra Kurla Complex, so a sound choice for business travellers.
- Le Sutra in Khar is a great option if you're looking for something a bit different. Many of the hotels in this area are super modern and soulless, but Le Sutra's 14 rooms are each based on an Indian myth or custom, so it's got a 'boutique-y' feel.
- The Svenska Design Hotel has clean, Scandi lines and state-of-the-art everything, with iPod docking, Wii consoles and iPads all complimentary. There's also a Japanese rooftop bar, where you may run into local tycoons.
Where to stay if nothing but the best will do!
- Built in 1903, The Taj Mahal Palace has hosted Maharajas, Viceroys, Heads of State and stars of music and screen. It looks out onto the Gateway to India, is home to significant art and has one of the loveliest gardens and pools in the world. If you're after total luxury this is the best place to stay in Mumbai.
- Plush, modern and very comfortable, The Oberoi has views over Marine Drive and out to sea. Known worldwide for its service and comfort, it also has its own quality boutiques.
- The St. Regis Mumbai is a 5* property, boasting truly luxurious accommodation featuring breathtaking city views. There's a range of fantastic dining options and all the necessary mod cons to ensure you have a simply stunning stay.
- Taj Lands End is a glorious spot offering smart rooms decorated in rich colours and with luxurious bathrooms. Enjoy al-fresco dining as you marvel at the unspoilt views of the Arabian Sea! A first-rate stay.
- The Taj Santacruz is brimming with opulence, featuring palatial common spaces and sleek contemporary accommodation. Enjoy gourmet cuisine and unwind in the extensive spa. Plus, it's a perfect option for a quick visit, located within Mumbai's airport complex.
For Great Value
- The Orchid's a great value, all round property, offering classically styled rooms, as well as a rooftop pool and spa. Enjoy lively evenings at the karaoke bar.
- The Hotel Bawa Continental is a glass fronted property within walking distance of Juhu beach. The perfect spot for people watching. It offers tasteful, unfussy accommodation and an a la carte restaurant.
- Hotel Godwin is a budget hotel which boasts its own rooftop lounge and restaurant with views of the Arabian sea and the city. A good central location in the heart of the prime shopping area.
For An Apartment
- If you'd rather the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- It never gets that cold in Mumbai, however, you should probably avoid coming during monsoon season - from mid-June to August. Also, be warned that the periods preceding and following monsoon season are marked by extremely high levels of humidity.
- It's best to visit between December and February, as it's not overly humid at this time and the weather's cool enough (at around 25°C) for you to head off sightseeing during the day.
- International guests can fly into Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, located right in the heart of the city.
- Jet Airways, British Airways and Air India fly here daily from London Heathrow, with the flight time just over 9 hours.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Mumbai.
- Widen the net to include our recommendations of all the best places to stay in Maharashtra.
- Or, contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Mumbai
Best Hotels in Mumbai
Abode, Mumbai Mumbai (M.B. Marg) 20 rooms from £54Sights nearby - Explore Bandra, the home of many of India's Bollywood stars for a tour.Great walks - Along Marine Drive, finishing on Chowpatty Beach.Local markets - Sample Bombay's famous street food.Full of character
Chateau Windsor Mumbai (Churchgate) 50 rooms from £54Local exploring - Good location for South Mumbai, Marine Drive and moments from Churchgate train station.Sights nearby - Walking distance from Mumbai's iconic Gateway to India.Great walks - Take a walk along the iconic Marine DriveViews - Great views from hotel
Great value, comfortable hotel in a good location. Explore the historical south. Enjoy the galleries and museums. The hanging gardens are worth a visit. No frills here, breakfast and snacks are served at the sea view rooftop terrace with plenty of culinary options from local eateries. See More
Hotel Bawa Continental Mumbai (Juhu Vile Parle West) 32 rooms from £57Sights nearby - The iconic Juhu Beach is a short walk away.Views - Views of the Arabian sea.Restaurant - Recommended.
A glass fronted hotel within walking distance of Juhu beach. Rooms are simple but tasteful, an a la carte restaurant and coffee bar with snacks in house and there are plenty of restaurants to explore nearby. The perfect spot for people watching, the film and media world is on your doorstep. See More
Hotel Godwin Mumbai (Colaba Causeway) 52 rooms from £64Restaurant - Authentic Mughlai cuisine as well as selective Chinese dishes.Views - Views of the Arabian Sea from the roof terrace.Sights nearby - The Gateway to India is a short distance.
You'll find the Hotel Godwin in Colaba, the busy southern district of Mumbai. It boasts a rooftop lounge and restaurant with views of the Arabian sea and the city. The rooms are clean and compact but each has a veranda. A good central location in the heart of the prime shopping area. See More
Mango Beach House – The Retreat @ Kihim Mumbai (District Raigad) 14 rooms from £65Country EscapeTotal relaxationSwimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolRestaurant - Recommended.
A hidden gem just south of Mumbai. A chic hotel with an air of exclusivity. Gorgeous, but simply decorated rooms and suites surrounding a swimming pool. Excellent service too. There's a spa on the adjacent property at the Farmhouse. Ideal for romantic hideaways and exclusive use. See More
The Orchid Mumbai (Maharashtra) 372 rooms from £66Eco break - One of India's first hotels to be awarded the Ecotel Certification.Value chic - Doubles available from £63 - excellent value.Restrictions on children - Chlidren cannot be accommodated.Swimming Pool - Rooftop.
The carbon footprint conscious eco-warrior can sleep easy in Mumbai's flagship 'green' hotel. Rooms are decorated in a classic style. Club rooms feature separate sitting rooms. You will naturally gravitate towards the rooftop pool, and perhaps away from the Karaoke Bar. There is also a spa and gym. See More
Gordon House Hotel Mumbai (Apollo Bunder) 29 rooms from £75ConciergeLocal markets - Colaba market has some excellent curios, contemporary and traditional Indian jewellery, and clothing.Sights nearby - The Gateway to India, the Royal Bombay Yacht Club and other sights are within walking distance.Restaurant - All Stir Fry, Asian inspiredRecommended by - Fodors
Vivanta by Taj President Mumbai (Maharashtra) 287 rooms from £80Local markets - Pick up some new threads at Fashion Street - just a short walk away.Sights nearby - Colaba's attractions are just a ten minute walk away.Swimming Pool - Outdoor.Views - Great views from hotel
Located in Cuffe Parade: close enough to South Mumbai's attractions without being in the thick of it. Rooms are decorated in a classic style with neutral tones and fantastic views across the harbour. There are plenty of five star dining options plus a gym, JIVA spa and pool. A firm favourite. See More
Svenska Design Hotel Mumbai (Shastri Nagar) 29 rooms from £81Swimming Pool - Not on-site, but the hotel provides a complimentary shuttle service.Spa - In rooms massage available.Restaurant - Recommended.
The Leela Mumbai Mumbai (Andheri East) 391 rooms from £83Local markets - Chor Bazaar is Mumbai's answer to London's Portobello Road - everything can be found here.Sights nearby - Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya is Mumbai's largest museum.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Full of character
Leela has become synonymous with lavish design and the avant-garde and its Mumbai offering is no exception. Decor is a successful blend of modern meets Moghul with fine silks, rich velvets, Indian artworks and hand woven rugs. Enjoy the fine dining and spa. Located five minutes from the airport. See More
Trident at Bandra Kurla Mumbai (Bandra Kurla Complex,) 435 rooms from £83Swimming Pool - Lovely outdoor pool.Restaurant - Recommended.Spa
Smart and stylish hotel in Mumbai's commercial district. Well appointed guest rooms and suites, a wide range of restaurants, a relieving outdoor swimming pool, fantastic spa and a fitness centre. Its location and extensive conference facilities make it ideal for business trips. See More
Waterstones Mumbai (Andheri, Western Suburbs) 99 rooms from £83Tennis - There are tennis courts for guests to use.Kids Club - Fully staffed.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Spa
A trendy contemporary hotel 1.5kms from the International airport. . Meeting rooms are available with state-of-the-art facilities. Each guest room is original and displays it's own theme based on nature. A complete winner with it's fabulous olympic sized infinity pool and fitness club, hard to beat. See More
Hotel Marine Plaza Mumbai (Maharashtra) 68 rooms from £86Local markets - Colaba market is great for jewellery (fashion and traditional Indian).Sights nearby - You must not miss the Gateway to India.Great walks - Along Mumbai's iconic Marine Drive.Views - Great views from hotel
Located on Mumbai's most famous road, Marine Drive, this time tested favourite features an English style pub, Geoffrey’s, and Chinese cuisine at The Oriental Blossom. The rooms are decorated with Indian accents and most feature sea views. There is an impressive rooftop pool, as well as a gym. See More
Taj Lands End Mumbai (Maharashtra) 493 rooms from £93Views - Great views from hotelSpaRestaurant - Recommended.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Located in the popular Bandra area, Taj Lands End stands out amidst the other five star hotels. Rooms decorated in rich colours feature luxurious bathrooms. There is an inviting outdoor pool and plenty of al-fresco dining options which make the most of those Arabian Sea views. Cuisine is top drawer. See More
Le Sutra Mumbai (Hanuman Nagar, Pali Hill) 18 rooms from £94Secluded setting - For escaping.SpaRestaurant - Recommended.BoutiqueRecommended by - I Escape
Grand Hyatt Mumbai Mumbai (Maharashtra) 547 rooms from £100Tennis - There are tennis courts for guests to use.SpaRestaurant - Recommended.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Providing accommodation worthy of its five star address the Grand Hyatt has it all - even its own nightclub! Light and contemporary rooms are juxtaposed with dark marble bathrooms. There are plenty of on-site activities including the Christiaan Georgio salon and must mention China House restaurant. See More
Hyatt Regency Mumbai Mumbai (Maharashtra) 401 rooms from £104Swimming Pool - Outdoor.SpaRestaurant - Recommended.
Clean and contemporary rooms provide a great base during your stay. With pleasant gardens, an enticing pool and the renowned Club Prana Spa there are plenty of ways to unwind or take advantage of the well equipped fitness centre. Casual dining comes courtesy of STAX and Glasshouse. A great choice. See More
Trident Nariman Point Mumbai (Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Road) 555 rooms from £107Great walks - Along Marine Drive, on which the hotel is located, is a favoured walking spot for courting couples.Restaurant - Two award winning restaurants serving everything from Indian and Asian to Italian cuisineSights nearby - Mumbai CST station is within walking disance and an architectural feat.Local markets - Find everything and anything you're looking for at Chor Bazaar.
Enjoying unspoilt views across the Arabian Sea you could not ask for a better positioned hotel. On Marine Drive, Mumbai's most famous road, this refreshingly modern hotel provides several fine dining options. Rooms are bright and airy with panoramic windows and a hint towards a nautical feel. See More
Four Seasons Mumbai Mumbai (Worli) 202 rooms from £111Great walks - The iconic Chowpatty Beach is great for a stroll at sunset.Sights nearby - A walk along Marine Drive to the famous India Gate.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Spa
One of Mumbai's best addresses with views of the Arabian Sea and the famous AER rooftop bar. Boasting a fabulous spa providing Rossano Ferretti salon, Ayurvedic treatments, personal training and much more. Rooms are decorated in a classic style with Indian accents. There is an inviting rooftop pool. See More
JW Marriott Mumbai Sahar Mumbai (Andheri) 585 rooms from £115Spa - Featuring plunge pools, steam room, Ayurvedic treatments and range of massages.Restaurant - Several dining options including Romano's Italian restaurantSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool with separate area for childrenSights nearby - Explore the best of Mumbai
New and flashy hotel located moment from Mumbai airport. Glitzy rooms are decorated in neutral and metallic palettes with swish bathrooms and large bathtubs. A truly lavish way to unwind pre or post flight. Delicious Italian meals are served at Romano's or make a worthwhile trip to the spa. See More
InterContinental Marine Drive Mumbai Mumbai (135 Netaji Subhash Road) 58 rooms from £127Views - Fantastic views over Marine Drive from the roof top terrace bar.Sights nearby - The iconic Gatewat to India is within walking distance.Great walks - Along Marine Drive: it's a must.Swimming Pool - Lovely outdoor pool.
The Sofitel BKC Mumbai (Bandra Kurla Complex) 302 rooms from £132Value chic - Chic rooms and fantastic facilities from as little as £70 per night.Great walks - A walk along Marine Drive ending with an icecream on Chowpatty Beach is an iconic Bombay activity.Sights nearby - Head to Coloba where you can see India Gate.Views - Great views from hotel
Located in BKC, a short distance from trendy Bandra, the Sofitel provides a luxurious and modern stay. Rooms feature plenty of mirrors, plush velvet and sparkle; a far cry from the corporate hotels in the area. All this plus four restaurants, a rooftop pool, an excellent spa, and gym. See More
Taj Santacruz Mumbai (Maharashtra) 279 rooms from £135Great walks - Enjoy a stroll along the promenade at nearby Juhu Beach.Four poster beds - For romantics.OpulentSpa
Located within Mumbai's airport complex, Taj's newest property provides convenience and luxury. The spaces are palatial as are the beautifully decorated rooms and modern bathrooms. There is an outdoor pool, spa and 24 hour fitness centre. Gourmet cuisine is served courtesy of China Inc and Rivea. See More
The St. Regis Mumbai Mumbai (Maharashtra) 395 rooms from £138Local exploring - Right by the Worli Seaface so ideally located for both the centre of town and BandraCity Style - One of Mumbai's top hotels boasting some of its best restaurantsSights nearby - The iconic Haji Ali Dargah is very close bySwimming Pool - Outdoor rooftop pool
Conveniently located five star accommodation. Luxurious suites and bathrooms feature city views. Dine on Asian dishes at Yuuka and By the Mekong or Indian dishes at The Sahib Room. There is an outdoor pool located on the 10th floor, Iridium Spa and Jean-Claude Biguine salon. Lavish city style. See More
The Oberoi Mumbai Mumbai 337 rooms from £200Sights nearby - Situated in Old Town (Colaba), it is minutes from the Gateway of India.Views - Fantastic views over Marine Drive.SpaRestaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Tablet, Kiwi Collection
The Taj Mahal Palace Mumbai 516 rooms from £459City StyleSwimming Pool - Stunning Outdoor PoolRestaurant - Recommended.SpaRecommended by - Tablet, Fodors, Kiwi Collection
Designed to have the last word in opulence and luxury. The Taj’s reputation remains intact and is now much of a tourist attraction in itself. It sits looking out to see over the Gateway of India. A timeless classic with artworks, beautiful gardens, and a world-class restaurant. See More