- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Ooty
A former summer resort of the British Raj, Ooty is known for its steam railway line and picturesque surrounds. ‘The Queen of Hill Stations’, once you get out of the hectic town centre it truly does have a superlative feel. Our pick of the best places to stay in Ooty all make the most of those stunning vistas and boast some charming colonial décor.
Once you make your way out of town to the quiet comforts of the hill station – and we highly recommend you stay here – this is where you will find all the best properties. With winding roads and neat hedgerows you would be forgiven for thinking you were in the English countryside.
What not to miss
- Perambulate 55 glorious acres of the Government Botanical Gardens, lying on the slopes of the Doddabetta Peak.
- Ooty is awash with charming Raj-era bungalows but for some truly impressive colonial architecture Stone House and St. Stephen’s Church stand out from the rest.
- This is tea country so make sure to take a tour of the luscious plantations and sample some of the fragrant crop.
- The Nilgiri Mountain Railway runs from Ooty to Coonoor: an absolute must and what draws people here. Enjoy two hours of romantic scenery - just sit back and drink in the views whilst allowing the soothing motions of a traditional steam train lull you into a state of calm.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Ooty are ideal for exploring the town, whatever your budget.
The best places to stay in Ooty
For a family stay
- Boasting plenty of walks rights from your front door, outdoor activities, a games room, great food and even better prices Sherlock Hotel is a wonderful option for families.
For old world charm
- Featuring parquet flooring, more antiques than most museums, a billiards table and to top it all off an excellent whiskey list the Taj Savoy Hotel is a lesson in well-rehearsed luxury. Unwind in its six acres of classic English country garden.
For an apartment or villa
- If you would rather have your own space, then visit our online partner Booking.com, for a wide range of apartments and villas.
- Fly to Coimbatore located 88km from Ooty. For train enthusiasts travel to the well connected Mettupalayam station and then take the iconic train up to Ooty.
- Best time to visit - Ooty's summer months are between March and May when temperatures range from 12 °C - 30 °C. The monsoon arrives from June and runs until September and is a beautiful time to visit.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Holiday Autos for the best prices.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Ooty
Taj Savoy Hotel 40 rooms from $85Ooty
Set amid six acres of lush grounds Taj Savoy offers colonial cottage style accommodation including a range of rooms and suites with an old school charm vibe. There's loads of on site activities plus an Ayurvedic spa, art, cooking and yoga classes. A hill top paradise for total country escape.Great walks - This hill station boasts a range of fantastic walking routes.Sights nearby - A handful of botanical gardens and churches.Cooking classes - Learn how to cook the South Indian way.Traditional
Sherlock Hotel 9 rooms from $59Ooty (Upper Thalayatimund)
Sherlock Hotel in the southern hill station of Ooty lives up to its name. Victorian fireplaces and wooden furnishings. It boasts two dining rooms, a reading room, a games area as well as the great outdoors. The location lends itself to an activity filled holiday for the family, or a mini break.Great walks - 1.9 miles from Sharing Cross StationFull of characterViews - Great views from hotelRomantic - Good for couples.