Search the best hotels in Sasan Gir
About Sasan Gir
Driving through Sasan Gir National Park’s thick forest is a delight in itself, heightened by the possibility of encountering one of Asia’s wild lions. Our pick of the best places to stay in Sasan Gir National Park are all ideally located for spotting the bountiful wildlife.
Surprisingly untouristy, it is the place in India to spot the King of Beasts. Established as a national park in 1965, this was a former hunting ground of the Nawabs of Junagadh. It was declared a protected area by Nawab Muhammad Rasul Khanji Babi in the 1900s when the lions reached virtual extinction thanks to some over zealous trophy hunters. At the last count the lion population totalled some 523.
Sasan Gir is also one of the most diverse regions for wildlife in India. From the usual suspects such as leopards, porcupine and wild boar it is also home to hyenas, the four-horned antelope and the majestic crested serpent eagle.
What not to miss
- Search for Asia's only wild lions in Sasan Gir National Park.
- Spot a wide range of migratory and water birds at Nalsarovar Lake.
- Visit the Uperkot Fort dating back to 319BC
- View the impressive Mahabat Maqbara, a grand mausoleum of Nawab, built in 1892 in an Indo-Islamic architectural style.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Sasan Gir National Park are ideal for getting up close to the spectacular wildlife.
For the whole family
- The Fern Gir Forest Resort has it all: plenty of on site activities to keep the young ones happy plus a spa for Mum and a gym (or bar) for Dad. Excellent activity packages mean that the staff are more than happy to help organise your safari excursions. Accommodation choices include tents, rooms and private cottages.
For great value luxury
- You will be pleasantly surprised at the incredible value for money at The Gateway Hotel Gir Forest. Providing the facilities and service you would expect from a world-renowned chain like the Taj at a fraction of the cost. Classic rooms include modern bathrooms and private balconies. Plus there is a spa and an inviting pool.
For a safari experience
- Sasan Gir’s Lion Safari Camp provides a true safari experience. Comprised of 21 tents (decorated with lion’s paw prints) they include en-suite bathrooms and private terraces. Set within a mango grove, along the Hiran River, a stay here is to stay amidst nature.
- Keshod is the closest airport (70 kms) or fly to Diu via Mumbai from which it's a two hour drive. The nearest station is Maliya Hatina (72km from Sasan Gir).
- Best time to visit - The climate is most moderate between December to March with daytime temperatures averaging at 29°C. The protected area of Gir National Park is closed from 16th June to 15th October every year during the monsoon and so it is not advised to visit during this time.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Sasan Gir
The Fern Gir Forest Resort Sasan Gir 40 rooms from £56
If you listen closely enough you might just hear a lion roaring so close is this property to Sasan Gir. Decorated in earthy tones all rooms, tents and cottages feature AC, power showers and private balconies or terraces. With a spa, gym, tennis courts and children's playground Fern Gir has it all.Back to Nature - Located on the outskirts of the Sasan Gir National Park you are ensconced by nature.Great walks - Join one of the daily guided nature trails.Remote - Off the beaten track.Secluded setting - For escaping.
The Gateway Hotel Gir Forest Sasan Gir 28 rooms from £57
A luxurious stay on the edge of one of India's most famous wildlife areas. Expect everything you would from a world class name like Taj: spa, fine dining and excellent service. Rooms feature dark wood, traditional prints that Gujarat is famous for and private balconies. Plus an inviting pool.Sights nearby - The Uperkot Fort Nalsarovar provides an insight into the area's history.Back to Nature - Bordering the Gir National Park this property is enveloped by nature.Birdwatching - The Kamleshwar Dam has an impressive variety of bird life.Spa
Lion Safari Camp Sasan Gir (Village Chitrod) 21 rooms from £128
A luxury wildlife camp near Sasan Gir National Park, the only remaining home of the endangered Asiatic lion. Comfortable, characterful and authentic.Birdwatching - 300 varieties of birds in the Gir National ParkGreat walks - Guided nature walks can be arrangedOutstanding location - Situated in Gir National ParkBarefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.