Search the best hotels in Bintan
Set just across the strait from Singapore, beautiful Bintan is a picture-perfect idyll of white sand beaches lined with swaying palm trees, fantastic water sports and some impressive wildlife-spotting. The largest of the Riau Islands, Bintan is hugely popular with holidaymakers from Singapore and Malaysia, and offers a wide range of accommodation options — including some striking luxury resorts. Our pick of the best places to stay in Bintan is a gorgeous boutique spot right on the beach, ideal for couples, families or solo travellers eager to unwind in paradise.
Famed for its pristine beaches, tropical Bintan is first and foremost a destination for lovers of tranquil waters and spectacular stretches of sand. The thriving sports scene, however, also makes the island a brilliant choice for active travellers. Play a round or two at Bintan's world-class golf courses, try kayaking, sailing and paddle boarding, venture inland for cycling and trekking, or test your mettle at the Bintan Triathlon, one of the biggest events on the annual calendar. Wildlife enthusiasts will adore touring the verdant Sungei Sebung Mangrove Forests, spotting monkeys, kingfishers and fireflies from aboard a traditional boat, too.
Glimpse Bintan’s history through its intriguing blend of Dutch and Javanese edifices, or venture to the little fishing village of Senggarang to marvel at traditional stilt houses and ancient Chinese temples. The Vihara Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva, a Buddhist temple with 500 life-sized sculptures of souls who have attained enlightenment is hugely impressive, whilst a visit to the Grotto of the Virgin Mary provides a poignant insight into the experience of the Vietnamese refugees who created it. For a sense of the wider region's cultural identity, travel to nearby Penyengat Island. Home to a magnificent yellow-and-green mosque, as well as the ruins of an old palace and many royal graves, the island was once the twin-seat of a powerful royal sultanate and offers a wonderful chance to step back in time.
Don’t miss savouring delicious Indonesian fare during your stay — the street food on Potong Lembu Street is a real highlight, as is the fresh seafood served in Kelong-style restaurants of Sebung Village. Whether you’re dreaming of restorative beach days or keen to challenge yourself to a triathlon, the best places to stay in Bintan promise an elegant hideaway in glorious surroundings.
The Best Places to Stay in Bintan
For barefoot luxury
- The Sanchaya is a beautiful beachfront resort with elegant rooms and villas nestled in lush, landscaped gardens. The interiors are a quirky fusion of East and colonial West, the setting is superb and the attention to detail impeccable. Stroll along pristine sands, enjoy a rejuvenating massage at the spa, paddle in the 50m infinity pool and savour flavoursome food crafted using local ingredients and produce from the organic herb garden. Chic boutique bliss with a charming old-school feel. Very romantic!
For an apartment or holiday cottage
If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Singapore's Changi Airport and hop aboard the 2-hour ferry from Tanah Merah to Tanjung Pinang in Bintan Island or the 1-hour catamaran to Bentan Telani. You can then travel to your destination by taxi, or arrange an airport pickup with your hotel.
- If coming from elsewhere in Indonesia, take a domestic flight to Bintan's Raja Haji Fisabillillah Airport.
- Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Come between March and October for warm, dry weather, with temperatures around 30°C. This is the most popular time to visit, so book your stay well in advance to avoid missing out! Travel outside Singaporean school and national holidays to beat the crowds.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in nearby Singapore.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Indonesia.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Bintan
Best Hotels in Bintan
The Sanchaya Kepulauan Riau, Bintan 30 rooms from £423Romantic Break - Private villas, gourmet in room dining and couples spa treatments - you can real spoil yourselvesBeach Life - With its own private stretch of white sandy beach this is ultimate beach livingSailing - Along the Sebung River - look out for jumping macaques and silver leaf monkeysBirdwatching - Bintan Island is a bird watchers paradiseRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Beautiful 5* beachfront resort property. All luxuriously appointed rooms are either villas or suites, with bespoke interior features and quirky decorative touches. 50m infinity pool, spa and gym. Delicious dining using local ingredients and herbs from their own organic herb garden. A rare treat. See More