Search the best hotels in Bintan
Just across the Singapore Strait from buzzy Singapore itself, beautiful Bintan Island is a restful idyll of white sands framed by swaying palms. The largest of the Riau Islands, this Indonesian gem is hugely popular with visitors from both Singapore and Malaysia. This is reflected in a wide array of accommodation options, with the best places to stay in Bintan including everything from exquisite honeymoon hideaways to family-friendly glamping resorts.
Famed for its exceptional beaches, Bintan is first and foremost a destination for an epic beach break. Spend your days strolling along the sand and soaking up the sunshine on private beaches galore. The watersports scene is superb, with sailing, kayaking, wind surfing, fishing and paddle boarding easily accessible for guests of all ages. Inland, you can cycle or hike through tropical forests filled with wildlife, or play a round or two at the island’s world-class golf courses. Nature lovers will delight in spotting fireflies, monkeys and iridescent kingfishers from aboard traditional boats in the verdant Sungei Sebung Mangrove Forests.
For a sense of the island’s rich cultural heritage, admire Dutch and Javanese architectural landmarks, or see stilt houses and Chinese temples in the fishing village of Senggarang. The Buddhist Vihara Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva is a particular standout, as is the Grotto of the Virgin Mary. Nearby Penyengat Island, with its magnificent mosque and palace ruins, is another must-see. Round things off with delicious regional dishes and fresh seafood on lively Potong Lembu Street, Sebung Village or at the best places to stay in Bintan.
The Best Places to Stay in Bintan
For Romantic Luxury
- The Sanchaya is an elegant beachfront resort with white-on-white rooms and villas nestled in lush, landscaped gardens. A gorgeous honeymoon retreat, the hotel fuses design elemetns from both East and West, and the attention to detail is impeccable. Amble along pristine sands, paddle in the infinity pool and feast on organic cuisine after rejuvenating spa treatments. A romantic gem.
- Banyan Tree Bintan offers an enchanting collection of stilted Balinese-style villas, some with private pools. Perched on a hillside overlooking the ocean, the villas have classic interiors with high pitched ceilings crisp white linens, dark wooden furnishings and gold touches. Opportunities for watersports abound, and there are three excellent dining options. A honeymoon idyll.
- The Residence is a fantastic resort for families, with impressive ocean views from one- and two-bedroom villas, many of which have private pools, free-standing tubs and sunny terraces. The kids club organises treasure hunts and beach games, whilst grown-ups can enjoy cooking classes, yoga and spa treatments. The art classes are ideal for all ages. For active types.
- Natra Bintan boasts unusual tented rooms with big beds, open-air bathrooms and sofa beds for additional guests. Set around south-east Asia's largest swimming pool, the resort offers kayaking, paddle boarding, surfing, yoga, nearby golf and more. Tent-side BBQs are a highlight for family trips!
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Singapore's Changi Airport, and hop aboard the 2-hour ferry to Tanjung Pinang or the 1-hour catamaran to Bentan Telani on Bintan Island. If flying from within Indonesia, take a domestic flight to Bintan's Raja Haji Fisabillillah Airport. Speak to your hotel about arranging an airport pick-up from there.
- You may want to drive if you're exploring the island. Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Temperatures hover around 25-32°C throughout the year. Visit during the dry season, which runs from June to September, for the best weather. More frequent rain is expected between March - April and November - December. Travel outside the Singaporean school holidays to avoid the crowds!
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Java.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Indonesia.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Bintan
Best Hotels in Bintan
Natra Bintan Lagoi, Bintan 100 rooms from £118Active Holiday - Water sports, activities on land and the largest swimming pool in the region make this a top spot for active travellersFamilies - Spacious tented rooms with sofa beds are perfect for fun family holidays; kids will adore the range of activitiesMountain biking - Quad biking and mountain biking excursions are brilliant for thrillseekers of all agesWatersports - Enjoy paddle boarding and kayaking out on the water
A family-friendly glamping resort on south-east Asia's largest swimming pool. Glamorous tented rooms boast four-poster beds & open-air bathrooms with whirlpool tubs. Fun-loving guests of all ages can try myriad activities before marvelling at star-studded skies whilst savouring fresh seafood. Epic! See More
The Residence Bintan Riau, Bintan 127 rooms from £144Families - Two-bedroom villas are perfect for families, who will appreciate the private pools & the fantastic kids club's many activitiesBeach Life - A smart beach hotel with a plethora of water sports and ocean-facing rooms in a striking part of Bintan IslandSnorkelling - Island-hop to White Sands Island or to Mapur Island for picnics and snorkelling adventures in clear watersCooking classes - Pick herbs in the garden for flavoursome, 3-hour Indonesian cooking classes with expert chefs
A fabulous family-friendly beach resort. Indulgent one- & two-bedroom villas — many with private pools — offer expansive ocean views, four-poster beds & big bathrooms with tubs. Unwind at the spa whilst the little ones enjoy treasure hunts at the kids club. Activities abound! A superb spot. See More
Banyan Tree Bintan Lagoi, Bintan 72 rooms from £290Wildlife Area - Get involved with the Conservation Lab, set up in 2007 to protect animals & the ecosystem with the help of local communitiesHoneymoons - Classic Balinese-style ocean-view villas are ideal for romantic honeymoons, with private dining and spa treatmentsGolf - Play a round at the par-72, Greg Norman-designed Laguna Golf Bintan course, set in 60 beautiful hectaresBeach Life - A relaxing beach hotel with sea-facing villas and watersports aplenty for guests of all ages
An indulgent collection of one- & two-bedroom stilted Balinese-style villas — some with private pools — perched on a leafy hillside overlooking the sea. Classic interiors feature dark wooden furniture, crisp white linens & golden accents under impressive pitched ceilings. A romantic luxury escape. See More
The Sanchaya Kepulauan Riau, Bintan 30 rooms from £423Romantic Break - Private villas with chic, white-on-white interiors, atmospheric private dining and couples' spa treatments awaitBirdwatching - Bintan Island is a birdwatchers' paradise, with a tremendous number of endemic birds visible on treks and walksBeach Life - Set on a private stretch of white sand beach with watersports aplenty this is a top luxury beach break choiceSailing - Look out for jumping macaques and silver leaf monkeys as you sail along the Sebung RiverRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
A beautiful 5* beachfront resort. Luxurious, individually designed villas & suites are clad in elegant white and cream shades with antique details. The 50m infinity pool, spa and gym await. Expect delicious cuisine using local ingredients & herbs from the organic herb garden. A rare romantic treat. See More