Search the best hotels in County Kildare
About County Kildare
West of Dublin and within easy reach of the capital, land-locked County Kildare offers bucolic landscapes, a wonderful array of outdoor activities and ample historic sites for travellers to discover. Accommodation options are wide-ranging, with everything from family-run B&Bs to substantial resorts, catering to a whole host of tastes and budgets. Whether you're looking to escape the city for a weekend or to get your first taste of rural Ireland, many of the best places in County Kildare are housed in heritage buildings surrounded by nature -- perfect for a relaxing retreat.
Home to the Irish National Stud & Gardens, as well as the famed Curragh and Naas Racecourses and showjumping at Punchestown, County Kildare has enormous appeal for horseracing enthusiasts or riders. Take an informative tour of the stud farm and glorious Japanese Gardens, or speak to your hotel about exploring the region's verdant landscapes on horseback.
Lovers of the great outdoors can also try fishing or kayaking on the Rivers Barrow & Liffey, hiking in the foothills of the Wicklow Mountains, or cycling and picturesque walks. Golfers will delight in a round at Pollardstown Fen, Ireland's oldest golf course, or one of two courses designed by Arnold Palmer, whilst petrol heads can hone their skills by zooming around the track at Mondello Park.
The central Curragh Plains -- renowned for horse-breeding, and rich in myth -- are also dotted with ancient monuments. There are heritage houses aplenty for culture-minded visitors to peer into thoughout County Kildare, including the imposing Palladian Castletown House. Don't miss St Brigid's sacred sites and the Norman tower in Kildare, the round tower at Old Kilcullen, the ruins at Oughterard, or Moone High Cross.This is a landsacpe steeped in Irish legend, and one well worth taking the time to delve into! Dublin's excellent galleries and museums are within easy reach for day trips, making County Kildare a great base for city explorations, too.
Head to the Riverbank Arts Centre for a lively programme of events, duck into cosy pubs for evenings of live music, and shop-til-you-drop at Kildare Village, site of a plethora of luxury boutiques. Whether you're in the region for the horse racing, the historic attractions or the beautiful scenery, our pick of the best places to stay in Kildare promises heritage charm aplenty, ideal for romantic couples or families looking for a fun-filled escape.
The Best Places to Stay in County Kildare
For a pub with rooms
- Rooms at Cunningham's boasts six cosy, white-and-cream guestrooms above a lively pub in the historic town of Kildare. Pick this place for the appealing decor, as well as the excellent location -- perfect for laid-back pub evenings with live music, or days at the Curragh Racecourse. A pint-sized base with a wonderfully friendly vibe.
For a Country Escape
- Cliff at Lyons offers beautifully-appointed rooms, apartments and cottages in a collection of historic buildings clad in climbing roses. Interiors are chic and contemporary, with lots of space in apartments and cottages for families. This is an indulgent retreat, complete with two-Michelin starred restaurant Aimsir, as well as the gorgeous Well in the Garden Spa. An enchanting, romantic choice for travellers keen to hide away in blissful rural surroundings. Also one for foodies!
- Barberstown Castle is a striking 800-year-old property, once home to Eric Clapton and now sensitively restored to offer visitors an opulent retreat. Think four-poster beds and antique furnishings in 55 spacious bedrooms, roaring fires and traditional eateries -- including an on-site pub. History buffs will adore the themed banquets in the stone-walled hall! Just 30 minutes from Dublin, the Castle is well-placed for a country escape.
For a Luxury Resort
- The K Club offers lavish, old-world charm in a spectacular setting. Tucked amidst 550 acres of parkland, this property prides itself on being one of Ireland's finest 5-star hotels. Expect sumptuous suites with four-poster beds and impressive estate views, two Arnold Palmer-designed golf courses, the fantastic Barton Restaurant, and a state-of-the-art spa, as well as stacks of activities. Traditional luxury at its finest!
For an apartment or holiday cottage
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- There are regular international and domestic flights to Dublin International Airport. Alternatively, catch a ferry from Liverpool (or Holyhead) to Dublin. You can then hop aboard a bus, train or taxi to your destination in County Kildare.
- This is a wonderful region to explore by road. Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Visit between May and September for warmer weather, averaging at around 17°C. County Kildare is very popular in the summer, so book your stay well in advance to avoid missing out!
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in County Carlow.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Ireland.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in County Kildare
Best Hotels in County Kildare
The Rooms at Cunningham's Kildare, County Kildare 6 rooms from £78City Style - Offering cosy rooms in the heart of Kildare Town, this hotel has lots of local Irish hospitality and styleLocal exploring - This guesthouse makes the perfect base for local exploring, set close to the town's top attractionsRomantic Break - Couples like the chic rooms at this traditional Irish pub; head downstairs for a Guiness in the barSights nearby - Visit Grey Abbey, the site of a ruined abbey which was run by Franciscan friars. The site dates back to the 13th-century
This boutique guesthouse forms part of a traditional Irish pub in the heart of Kildare Town. The spacious rooms are warm and inviting, with distressed wood furnishings and cosy carpets; guests love the hotel's comfortable beds. Sample contemporary Thai cuisine at the restaurant; a charming getaway. See More
Cliff at Lyons Celbridge, County Kildare 39 rooms from £130Country Escape - Set in the lush Irish countryside, with a privileged location by the Grand Canal, this hotel makes a great escape from the cityRomantic Break - Couples love the elegant rooms at this country bolt-hole; reserve a table for a romantic evening meal at The OrangeryFamilies - The hotel's private apartments and country cottages are well-suited to families travelling with childrenSpa - The Well in the Garden Spa offers a wide range of botanically influenced treatments.
Idyllic, rose-covered walls welcome visitors to this unique hotel in County Kildare. Guests can choose from opulent Estate Rooms, bright apartments or cosy, country-feel cottages, all set in verdant gardens. Book a romantic dinner at The Orangery before drinks at the cosy Lyons Den bar; a chic stay. See More
Barberstown Castle County Kildare 55 rooms from £200Weddings - Well seasoned in hosting weddings, the hotel offers experienced staff and a beautiful settingLocal exploring - From medieval castles to megalithic sites there is plenty to explore in the surrounding areaSights nearby - Visit Newgrange, a 5,000 year old megalithic siteFull of character
A striking 800-year-old castle which has welcomed many-a-renowned guest in its years. Traditional interiors are everything one desires from a historical building: roaring fires, heavy antiques, and rich fabrics. Boasting a fine-dining restaurant and the opportunity to feast at a medieval banquet! See More
The K Club County Kildare 137 rooms from £257Golf - Both designed by Arnold Palmer, The Ryder Cup Course and The Smurfit Course are considered among Europe's finest!Fishing - If you fancy a relaxing afternoon then there are plenty of spots to go off fishingSwimming Pool - Indoor poolViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Kiwi Collection
The luxurious K Club hotel is set amongst 550 acres of parkland in County Kildare. Elegant accommodation features King sized beds, antique furnishings and luxurious bathrooms. A number of outdoor pursuits are on offer from falconry to clay-pigeon shooting. A smart country escape. See More