Search the best hotels in Sligo
A town and a surrounding county that has been immortalised by the writings of W.B. Yeats, Sligo certainly exudes some charm, its name literally means 'abounding in shells' in Irish. The town is based around the Garavogue River that leads out to Sligo Bay. The town is big on music and arts, so it's a great spot if you're looking to seek out some excellent traditional Irish music for example. More than anything else, it gives you a gateway to one of Ireland's finest and most underexplored counties. Our selection of the best places to stay in Sligo tend to be overlooking the river.
What not to miss:
- If W.B. Yeats captured the landscape of Sligo through words, then his brother Jack B. Yeats depicted the county through paintings. The Model Niland Gallery hosts an extensive collection of Jack's work.
- The County Museum is well worth a look if you're interested in learning a little more about the history and heritage of Sligo.
- In July of every year, Sligo hosts a superb jazz festival.
- The surrounding countryside is home to some of Ireland's most stunning landscapes. Climb up the iconic Ben Bulben or take a trip down the beautiful beaches of Strandhill or Rosses Point.
- Just outside Sligo is Lissadell House, the former home of the Gore-Booths. Constance Markievicz, the famous Irish rebel leader, and later first woman elected to the House of Commons, grew up there.
A delightful, atmospheric town in its own right and a great launchpad for exploring the natural wonders of the surrounding countryside, Sligo is well worth your attention. Our choices of the best places to stay in Sligo are perfect for guests looking for a relaxing weekend away.
The best places to stay in Sligo
For contemporary chic
- As the name might suggest, The Glasshouse is a swish, modern establishment. With a beautiful setting on the Garavogue River, the hotel offers stylish rooms and an excellent restaurant. A great base from which to explore Yeats's town.
For an apartment or holiday cottage
- Browse the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- The nearest airport to Sligo is Knock (34 miles).
- For car hire, visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to visit Sligo is from May to September. The weather in Ireland is always a bit of a lottery but if you catch it right, there's no better place.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Sligo
The Glasshouse, Sligo Sligo 116 rooms from £82City Style - A stunning design hotel on The Garravogue River, with quirky interiors and an award winning restaurant.Great walks - Beautiful walking around Sligo with the trail up Ben Bulben being especially beautiful.Sights nearby - Only ten miles from the Yeats's grave and Lissadel House.Views - Great views from hotel