Forte dei Marmi
Search the best hotels in Forte dei Marmi
About Forte dei Marmi
Forte dei Marmi has been attracting the well to do citizens of Florence, Milan and the rest of Tuscany since the 18th Century when breathing the sea air and sunbathing became popular with the health conscious. By the 19th Century the rest of Europe had caught on to Forte dei Marmi’s charms as well, Graceful villas and grand hotels began to spring up in the pine woods by the seafront attracting celebrities as well as wealthy families. Most of Forte dei Marmi’s hotels are three and four stars, but our Guru’s recommendations for the best places to stay in Forte dei Marmi includes several particularly luxurious options.
What not to miss:
- Forte dei Marmi has never really looked back to its days as a Roman outpost and marble quarry - Fort dei Marmi translates to ‘fort of marbles’ - and it’s still a very popular, but peaceful resort today.
- The Fortress of Marbles itself is the town’s main visitor sight, built in 1788 by the Grand Duke of Tuscany at the time. As well as being the deposit for the marble quarries nearby it was an important defence against pirate raids. There’s also a rather charming town centre and a weekly market on Wednesdays.
- Just along the sandy coast is the sun and sand resort of Viareggio, with its gracefully dilapidated promenade of Art Nouveau facades and famous party spirit.
Don't forget to book well ahead if you want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in Forte dei Marmi during July or August - this is an extremely busy summer spot.
The best places to stay in Forte dei Marmi
For a luxury beach break
- The Principe Forte dei Marmi is a luxurious beach front hotel with a lovely classical facade just behind its own private beach club. Inside the 15 rooms and 13 suites are modern with designer features. There’s a fully equipped spa and an excellent seafood restaurant.
- The Grand Hotel Imperiale is another luxurious beach front hotel, but this time it’s even more suited to families With a fully staffed kid’s club, private beach, three restaurants and a wellness centre. The 46 rooms and suites are light and airy and the best have a balcony looking out to sea.
- Hotel Byron perched on the coastline just outside Forte dei Marmi is a delightful hotel. Highlights include a Michelin starred restaurant, a deluxe spa and plush suites. A great spot for a relaxing break on the beach.
For a relaxing stay
- Locanda al Colle is a charming, friendly guesthouse with just seven rooms and lots of art work on display. Rooms are modern with parquet floors, neutral colours and large bathrooms. There are also lovely sun terraces on both side of the house and a heated outdoor pool.
- The Albergo Pietrasanta has been stylishly converted from a 17th Century palazzo in the centre of the famed marble town of Pietrasanta with the delicate frescoes and intricate plasterwork retained. The owners have added antiques and contemporary Italian art.
For an apartment or villa
- Explore the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- The nearest airport to Forte dei Marmi is Pisa (29 miles).
- If you're looking to hire a car, we recommend visiting our online partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to visit Forte dei Marmi is from May to September, when the temperature sits comfortably in the twenties.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Forte dei Marmi.
- Expand your search to include all our Tuscany recommendations.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Forte dei Marmi
Best Hotels in Forte dei Marmi
Palazzo Guiscardo Forte dei Marmi (Pietrasanta) 10 rooms from £120Romantic Break - Whimsical decor and plush interiors make for a great couples getawayCooking classes - Classes are provided by the chef at the hotelDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Full of character
Albergo Pietrasanta Forte dei Marmi (Tuscany) 20 rooms from £200Sights nearby - Pietrasanta’s 14th century San Martino's Cathedral with its red brick belltower, is just a 5-minute walk away.Great walks - The hotel's fragrant landscaped gardens are perfect for an afternoon stroll.Local markets - Pick up some local produce from the weekly market in Piazza dello Statuto.Full of characterRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
17th Century Palazzo in the famed marble town of Pietrasanta. Interiors feature delicate frescoes, intricate plasterwork and antiques, as well as the owner’s fine collection of contemporary art. An elegant spot for romantics, great location for exploring and just minutes from the beach. See More
Hotel Byron, Forte dei Marmi Forte dei Marmi 29 rooms from £207Total relaxation - A beautiful setting, lovely rooms, good food, and easy access to the beach.Foodies - Four excellent restaurants, one of which has Michelin stars.5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Beach LifeRecommended by - Kiwi Collection
A Five Star hotel on the coastline just outside Forte dei Marmi. Romantic and elegant throughout rooms and suites. Michelin star restaurant, spa facilities, and beautiful grounds to enjoy candle lit dinners and sun bathing in the sun. A luxurious spot for a summer holiday in a fun area. See More
Principe Forte dei Marmi Forte dei Marmi 28 rooms from £260Beach Life - Private beach club.Views - Great views from hotelFoodiesSpaRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, CN Traveller
Grand Hotel Imperiale Forte dei Marmi (Tuscany) 46 rooms from £410Families - Fully staffed kids club on siteLocal markets - Visit the weekly Wednesday market for a designer bargain!Sights nearby - Minutes away from Forte dei Marmi fortressSpaRecommended by - Tablet
Five star luxury family friendly property in the glitzy resort of Forte dei Marmi on the Tuscan coast. Forty six sophisticated, airy rooms and suites some with balconies some with balconies looking out to sea. Three restaurants, wellness centre and private beach. Glamourous seaside luxury See More