Search the best hotels in Montepulciano
Many of Tuscany's hilltop towns are extremely charming with medieval buildings separated by narrow, cobbled streets leading up to impressive fortresses. And many of these towns are also located in mouth-wateringly lush wine producing areas. But not all of them are as well endowed, both with beauty or vineyards, as Montepulciano. The best places to stay in Montepulciano are perfect bases for both soaking up the culture of the area and indulging in the area's delicious food and wines.
What Not To Miss
- The range of architecture - from the Etruscan of the original fort to the Gothic and Renaissance designs commissioned for the town once it came under the rule of Florence in the 13th Century.
- Enjoy a glass of the finest local vintage at the Piazza Grande a Montepulciano. The square really has some exceptional architecture that will captivate visitors, whilst the shopping is of a great standard too!
- The Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta offers visitors even more of a taste of the beautiful buildings. As striking inside as out, it's well worth venturing into this historical landmark.
- Learn about the region's rich wine heritage with a tour of one of the local wineries. If you've built up an appetite from exploring the area, worry not as the food selection is quite excellent.
- For a stunning example of Renaissance architecture, visit Tempio di San Biagio - with delightfully maintained grounds and a spectacular interior, it's a great way to enjoy some tranquility during your visit.
Our selection of the best places to stay in Montepulciano range from places perfect for foodies to chic value B&B's ensuring there's something for everyone in this charming town.
The Best Places to Stay in Montepulciano
For the beauty
- If you're looking for a romantic place to stay to soak up the beauty of the area, one of the best places to stay is the Hotelito Lupaia. Eccentric and luxurious, this eight room property has amazing views from the lovely terraces and pool.
- Villa Poggiano - after years of restoration current owners have returned this villa to its former glory. In 6 hectares of parkland it has rural views of the medieval town of Montepulciano. Exposed beams, terracotta floors and large windows feature in the rooms. Cuisine is local and cooking classes are available.
- For a chic, eco-friendly property, Fattoria San Martino is a simple, rustic and stylishly renovated 18th century home. Totally eco friendly, they used limewash and stone in the construction and beeswax for polish. The restaurant serves all vegetarian/vegan food. Elegant and eclectic rooms with chandeliers and incredible views of the Tuscan countryside.
For the wine
- If you want the wonderful flavours of Vino Nobile Montepulciano accompanied by the wonderful flavours of Tuscan food then the Locanda di San Francesco is ideal. It's also our recommendation if you want to be in the centre of town close to the top of the hill. The hotel has four rooms, fabulous views and an excellent gourmet restaurant.
- The Podere Dionara is one of the best places if you're looking for a romantic, rural spot. It also produces its own wine and has a sommelier on hand for either a casual wine tasting or a more structured course in the art! Stunning in that square, Tuscan way, Podere Dionara is small enough to feel private, but large enough to accommodate a small wedding.
For an apartment or villa
- If you'd prefer your own space, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a range of properties throughout the town.
- Fly to Florence Airport located 127km (79 miles) from Montepulciano and is well served by various International carriers.
- If you intend to rent a car to explore the beautiful region, for prices visit our online partner Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - the most popular months are July and August, although April to June tends to be quieter whilst typically providing pleasant weather.
Still not sure?
- Widen the net and check out all our recommendations in Tuscany.
- Or contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Montepulciano
Best Hotels in Montepulciano
Villa Poggiano Montepulciano (Tuscany) 14 rooms from £184Cooking classes - The hotel offers cooking classes so you can take home some of their local secrets.Local markets - If your stay falls on a Thursday head to Montepulciano’s vibrant market.Sights nearby - The impressive Cathedral of Pienza is well worth a visit.Great walks - Walk to the medieval town of Montepulciano.
After years of restoration current owners have returned this villa to its former glory. In 6 hectares of parkland it has rural views of the medieval town of Montepulciano. Exposed beams, terracotta floors and large windows feature in the rooms. Cuisine is local and cooking classes are available. See More
Locanda di San Francesco Montepulciano Siena, Tuscany 4 rooms from £174FoodiesSights nearby - Located in the centre of historic MontepulcianoViews - Wonderful views across the Val d'OrciaLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - I Escape
Fattoria San Martino Montepulciano 4 rooms from £178Writing a novel - A tranquil and serene space in which to allow your creativity to flow- no wifi, so listen to the birds and look at the flowers!Value chic - Well-priced rooms and a healthy breakfast is included. The apartments come with an oven, dishwasher and refrigerator.Eco break - The owners are 'ambassadors' of green thinking and organic farming. All meals are homegrown and biodynamic.Sights nearby - The interesting town of Lucca is close by and is worth exploring for its churches and monastries.Recommended by - Sawdays
A simple, rustic and stylishly renovated 18th century home. Totally eco friendly, they used limewash, beeswax and stone for construction, and the restaurant serves all vegetarian/vegan food. Elegant and eclectic rooms with chandeliers and incredible views of the Tuscan countryside. See More
Follonico Torrita di Siena, Tuscany 6 rooms from £191Local exploring - A wonderful base from exploring this area of TuscanyRestrictions on children - From May to August babies up to 1 and children over 12 are welcome. The rest of the year all ages are welcome.Views - Incredible views of Montefollonico and Montepulciano.Cooking classes - Ask Fabio or Suzanne to organise one for you.
Authentic and relaxed boutique B&B in the southern Tuscan hills. Six restored rooms and suites are rustic chic in style, beautifully done with a marvellous blend of period features and modern amenities. Just a short drive from Montepulciano and Siena. A hideaway where time continues to stand still. See More
Podere Dionora Montepulciano, Tuscany 6 rooms from £243GroupsWeddingsSights nearby - Just outside MontepulcianoCooking classes - Check for timings.Recommended by - I Escape