Search the best hotels in Ravello
Ravello - just saying the word sounds sultry and languorous. And that’s a perfect description of this hilltop village that hangs high above Amalfi and its gorgeous coastline. It has arguably the finest views of the area from which you will find it hard to drag yourself away. If you think it all looks like a film-set it will come as no surprise to learn that John Huston set his film, ‘Beat the Devil’ here. The best places to stay in Ravello make the most of the views, although anywhere here has all the ingredients for a relaxing, hideaway holiday.
What not to miss
- All daily life seems to happen in the main square, the Piazza del Duomo, where it’s quite easy to spend a whole morning with a cappuccino watching the world go by. The richly decorated 11th-century Duomo has some magnificent bronze doors and pulpits encrusted with glittering mosaics.
- Apart from the church and the charms of its little cobbled alleys, Ravello’s other star attractions are the gardens. Villa Rufolo, itself a charming ruin, lies amongst lush gardens with stunning views down over the coast, dizzying feet below. The German composer Wagner was inspired to write some of his opera Parsifal here.
- A little further out of town, Villa Cimbrone’s gardens are equally gorgeous and dotted with statues and temples and a belvedere overlooking the town of Atrani.
- Villa Rufolo is the main venue for the town’s prestigious open-air classical music and arts festival from June until October and held in various venues across town. However, Villa Rufolo’s own concert programme starts earlier in the year in March.
Naturally, accommodation is in heavy demand during these months and the best places to stay in Ravello can get snapped up early - so get organised and plan well ahead.
The Best Places to Stay in Ravello
The Best Places to Stay in Ravello For a view
- The chief joy of Villa Maria - and why guests return again and again - is the hidden dining terrace which has, possibly, one of the finest restaurant views of the coast with unfolding headlands of cliffs dropping down to the sea. Much of the food comes from the hotel’s garden while rooms are beautifully traditional and relaxing.
The Best Places to Stay in Ravello for sheer luxury
- Dripping with luxury - marble floors, antiques, Vietri tiling, Bulgari soaps, tapestries, rich carpets - Palazzo Avino is top-drawer spoiling. Naturally there’s a Michelin-starred restaurant plus spa, gardens, private terraces … and glorious views.
- For old-school glamour and money-no-object luxury, Belmond Hotel Caruso ticks all the right boxes. Rooms combine classic Italian styling - rich fabrics, exposed stonework, antiques - with modern comforts. Most have private balconies, and then there is the dining terrace, infinity pool, spa, views, gardens…
The Most Romantic Places to Stay in Ravello
- Surrounded by famous, lush gardens and on a little hilltop all its own, Villa Cimbrone is both romantic and sophisticated. Formerly a private villa, rooms are grand with vaulted ceilings, frescoes, tiled floors and antiques. There is a pool and, of course, heavenly views.
Just outside town
- Just down the hill you'll come across the Villa San Michele, a traditional property built into the cliff which boasts a ladder to give direct access to the sea. There's a lovely dining terrace and it offers great value too.
Prefer a villa or apartment?
- If your wallet doesn't quite stretch to the fabulous options above, maybe you could consider self catering? Check out our online partner Booking.com for a wide range.
- Nearest airport to Ravello is Naples International (36 miles).
- If your looking to hire a car, visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to visit Ravello is in the summer months, when the temperatures sit comfortably in the mid twenties.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Ravello
Villa San Michele, Ravello 12 rooms from £88Ravello
Set into the rugged Amalfi coastline with a ladder leading directly into the Tyrrhenian Sea. Mediterranean style rooms have nautical palettes and traditional blue and white tiled floors, local artworks and private balconies. There is a sunny terrace where lots of local fish and breakfast is served.Sailing - Take a boat trip to the famous archaeological site of Pompeii - not just for history buffs!Great walks - Follow in the footsteps of the gods along 'The Path of the Gods' from Agerola to Positano.Sights nearby - The Duomo (Cathedral) of Ravello houses impressive mosaics and museum.Fishing - For bluefish and tuna in the charming port town of Cetara.
Torre del Ziro 5 rooms from £105Ravello
Cosy and comfortable 16th century property provides sun-drenched outdoor terraces where guests can sit back and relax. Rooms are simple with lots of natural light. A homemade Italian breakfast is included. Open from end of March to first week of October annually, A refreshingly relaxed hotel.Local exploring - Ideally located to explore all important sights and local markets of RavelloSights nearby - The 13th century Moorish style Villa Rufolo and Villa Cimbrone are worth a visitViews - Great views from hotelFull of character
Villa Fraulo 26 rooms from £14984010 Ravello SA
A sophisticated palazzo hotel and spa with breathtaking views of the sea. Elegant interiors are tastefully designed in soft hues and feature a mix of classic and modern design pieces. Simple rooms have a similar palette and indulgent sink-into beds. Don't miss the top-notch cuisine.Romantic Break - A beautiful palazzo slightly set back from the main square with wonderful views of the sea, ideal for a romantic getawaySights nearby - Visit the other charming towns of the Amalfi Coast such as Furore, Sorrento, Positano and PraianoGreat walks - Head up to the heights of Ravello for the best views of the Amalfi CoastSwimming Pool - Seasonal outdoor pool
Villa Maria 23 rooms from £159Ravello
An oasis of peace with spectacular views. The piece de resistance is the glorious dining terrace with vistas of the mountains sweeping down to a glittering sea. Fantastic food and cookery lessons using the same home-grown produce. A delightful spot for foodies and romantics.Total relaxation - An elegant coastal property with magnificent seaviews, excellent food and complete tranquility.Cooking classes - Cooking classes led by a famous professor of historical gastronomy.Sailing - Pack a picnic, rent a boat and explore the Amalfi Coast.Full of character
Hotel Palumbo 17 rooms from £175Ravello SA,
This beautiful former monastery and has hosted a number of historical figures and celebrities - from Truman Capote to Rod Stewart. Modern rooms with antique architecture and designer furnishings. Breathtaking views of the bay from the terrace. Old world charm in a stunning location.Romantic Break - Stunning views of the coast to watch the sunsetBeach Life - A short walk from the beachSights nearby - Close to the main town squareSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Villa Cimbrone 19 rooms from £272Ravello (Ravello, Salernes (Campania))
A regal and romantic complex with out of this world views. The villa has beautifully manicured botanical gardens that sprawl towards the cliff face. Bedrooms ooze understated elegance, and there's a fantastic Michelin starred Mediterranean restaurant. Renowned as the ultimate wedding destination.Writing a novel - Join the list of illustrious authors who have gained inspiration here- E M Forster, T S Eliot, Virginia Woolf, D H Lawrence...Honeymoons - Perched on a sheer-sided cliff high above the Amalfi coast, with fragrant rose gardens, and romantic poolside dining.Great walks - Wander hand in hand through the stunnig gardens, the best time is early morning before they open to the public.Sailing - Take a boat up the coastline or to glamorous Capri, the perfect way to explore the coast.Recommended by - I Escape, Fodors
Palazzo Avino 43 rooms from £370Ravello
Film star luxury meets 1930s Italian glamour in classical Ravello. Spectacularly perched on the cliffs overlooking fishing villages below. Michelin star restaurant, stunning suites, sprawling terraces and lounge areas. Five Star in every aspect.Romantic Break - A perfect getaway for two, enjoy the suave suites with a glorious vantage point over the Med and pampering service.Foodies - Boasting a two-Michelin-star restaurant overlooking the sea and the more relaxed Terrazza Belvedere.Great walks - Leisurely strolls or more testing mountain trials, all come with stunning views.Sailing - Take a boat up the Amalfi Coast or to the glamourous island of Capri.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection, Tablet, Fodors
Belmond Hotel Caruso 50 rooms from £625Ravello
With former guests including Greta Garbo and Jackie Kennedy you know you are in the lap of luxury. The infinity pool, suspended between sea and sky, is straight from the movies as is the al-fresco, restaurant. Hollywood glamour continues in the bedrooms with chandeliers, mosaic tiles and balconies.Great walks - Through the stunning Villa Cimbrone Gardens.Cooking classes - Check for timings.Views - Great views from hotelRomantic - Good for couples.