- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ Book Online Now
Search the best hotels in Terni
Terni is often referred to as Italy's Manchester, an industrial capital grown strong on its steel mills. But it's been around since the Romans founded the city in 271AD, and has always been famous for being the birthplace of St. Valentine, so there's a lot more to see here than just the profits of industry. This is also an ideal base for exploring the rest of Umbria, and some of the best places to stay in Terni are actually just outside of the town, offering access to transport links, but surrounded by the beauty of rural Umbrian views.
Things not to miss:
- Because of its industrial importance, Terni suffered heavy bombing during WWII, and its modern architecture is now considered more interesting than its ancient and medieval architecture - though there is still some of that, including the Basilica of St. Valentine where some of the saint's bones have been conserved.
- A number of other churches survived, including the Church of St. Salvatore, which was built on top of a Roman temple, and the Church of St. Francis which has some beautiful 14th Century frescoes.
- But one of Terni's most famous sights are its wonderful Cascate dell Marmore, a set of waterfalls actually constructed during the Roman period. They're a 165 metre high spectacle of beauty and ingenuity. They're surrounded by the parkland and thick forests of the Nera River Park, one of the greatest natural treasures of the Umbrian region.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Terni are not actually in the town itself, but are well placed for exploring everything it has to offer.
The best places to stay in Terni
For great views
- The Villa Milani is a stunning hotel topping Cappuccini Hill, in beautiful grounds and overlooking a beautiful Umbrian vista. Inside, as well as the 11 rooms, you'll find charming murals, Persian carpets and antiques and a wonderful restaurant offering traditional Umbrian cuisine - and cooking classes on the same.
For ancient abbey conversion
- Abbazia San Pietro in Valle is a wonderful abbey in pale stone, converted into a comfortable, traditionally decorated hotel. The abbey also has great food, and lovely gardens.
For a private apartment or villa
- Browse the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- The nearest airport to Terni is Perugia (57 miles).
- Hiring a car gives you greater access to the surrounding Umbrian countryside, so why not explore the options at our online partner Holiday Autos.
- The best time to visit Terni is from May to June or September to October, in the middle summer months (July and August), the temperature generally tends to get too hot.
Still not sure which to book?
Best Hotels in Terni
Villa Milani 11 rooms from $97Perugia, Umbria
A stunning hotel set on Cappuccini Hill. Gorgeous rooms feature views, mural paintings, parquet floors, Persian carpets and antiques. Stunning views from the gardens, excellent traditional Umbrian cuisine, outdoor pool. Romantic and traditionalFoodies - Extensive cookery courses available with famous chefs, to get to know the Italian and Umbrian cuisine, their flavours and dishesHoneymoons - Regional sights; wild natural beauty (National Parks); monuments (Cathedrals, Castles); regional gastronomy, outdoor sportsSights nearby - Assisi, Campello, Trevi, Montefalco, Bevagna and SpelloViews - Spoleto, Umbrian Valley, Monteluco
Abbazia San Pietro in Valle 19 rooms from $131Ferentillo, Umbria
A gorgeous pale-stone Abbey in a truly stunning hillside location – a country escape steeped in history but with all the comforts of a hotel. Beautiful cloisters, traditional rooms and family suites with Benedictine origins - stone floors, wooden beams, paintings - great food and lovely gardens.Remote - Off the beaten track.Full of characterViews - Great views from hotelRomantic - Good for couples.