Search the best hotels in Yokohama
Yokohama, located just half an hour south of Tokyo, is Japan's second-largest city, boasting a population of over three million people. Yokohama was originally a small fishing village until it became one of the first ports to be opened up to international trade in the country's isolationist Edo Period. Subsequently, it quickly flourished into a bustling trade centre and economic powerhouse, and has continued to attract foreign interest.
Nowadays, you'll find a charming yet cosmopolitan city with plenty of bright lights and skyscrapers dotted along the waterfront. The city has recovered incredibly well from the earthquake of 1923 and the Second World War, and some even argue that it's the epicentre of modern Japanese culture as we know it. On clear days, you can see all the way to Mount Fuji - which only adds to the city's spectacular setting.
Given its rising popularity, book well in advance to avoid disappointment as the best places to stay in Yokohama get quickly booked up.
What Not to Miss
- Wander around Yokohama's bustling Chinatown which is home to over 200 restaurants!
- Stroll along Minato Mirai, the waterfront urban development with plenty of stunning buildings, an amusement park, great ocean views, and a large number of shops.
- Head up the Yokohama Landmark Tower Sky Garden and marvel at the spectacular views out over the city - be sure to remember your camera!
- If you want to learn more about the city then head to the Yokohama Port Museum, the fascinating Cupnoodles Museum, or the Museum of Art.
The best places to stay in Yokohama
For something special
- Hotel New Grand is a stunning property which harks back to another era. You'll find impressive interiors, smart rooms, and a lovely restaurant - a great all-round spot.
- Hotel Intercontinental Yokohama Grand boasts smart rooms with splendid views and luxury bathrooms. There are plenty of eateries and bars to try, whilst its location makes it perfect for spending days sightseeing.
- The Yokohama Bay Hotel offers sophisticated accommodation on the waterfront. A variety of cuisines are covered in their numerous restaurants, and you can enjoy relaxing evening tipples in the lounge.
- Yokohama Royal Park Hotel is a towering skyscraper in the middle of the city. The accommodation is smart and pleasant, with plenty of soft hues, whilst their two divine restaurants boast views to-die-for.
For an apartment or holiday home
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Fly into Tokyo Haneda Airport or Narita Airport before taking the train across to Yokohama - this should take around half an hour.
- Yokahama is nicest in the summer months, from June to September, with the average temperature rising to 27°C in August.
- However, this is the busiest and most expensive time to visit - for a quieter and cheaper alternative, consider coming in spring or autumn.
- If you want to explore further afield then hire a car with Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of the best places to stay in Yokahama.
- Widen the net to include our recommendations in Tokyo.
- Or contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Yokohama
Best Hotels in Yokohama
Hotel New Grand Yokohama (Kanagawa) from £110City Style - Experience a touch of the high-life at this elegant property.Sights nearby - Visit the historical sites in Kamakura the old political captial of Japan.Great walks - Take a stroll around the traditional Yokohama Sankeien Garden.Romantic - Good for couples.
One of Yokohama's leading hotels since 1927. A majestic property giving a real sense of glamour harking back to a different era. Boasting elegant reception rooms and a chic restaurant perfect for romantic evenings. Rooms are classically designed and spacious. A stand out property. See More
Hotel InterContinental Yokohama Grand Yokohama (Kanagawa) from £185Local exploring - A 'has-it all' hotel with a perfectly central location making this a great base for exploring the city.Families - A family friendly property offering babysitting and nannying services.Restaurant - There are 6 dining options including French & modern Japanese.Sights nearby - Visit Yamashita Park or Yokohama Red Brick Warehouse
An impressive property standing tall right in the heart of Yokohama. Smart rooms feature stunning city views, luxury bathrooms and chic clean design. Boasting numerous eateries, atmospheric bars and a well-equipped gym. Service is slick and attentive. Ideal for both business and pleasure. See More
The Yokohama Bay Hotel Yokohama (Nishi-ku) 480 rooms from £236Local exploring - A luxury property located in the heart of the city.Local markets - Take a stroll through Yokohama's Chinatown (one of the largest in the world) and discover the tastes of the East.Swimming Pool - Indoor pool.Romantic - Good for couples.
A luxury property sat on the waterfront and boasting spectacular city views. Design is sophisticated throughout with a monochrome theme, plenty of glass and clean lines. A number of in-house restaurants cover world-wide cuisines and lounges provide a spot for a chic evening cocktail. Superb. See More
Yokohama Royal Park Hotel Yokohama (Nishi-ku) 603 rooms from £267City Style - A chic hotel boasting epic city views from its skyscraper vantage.Great walks - Take a stroll in the traditionally designed Yamashita Park.Romantic - Good for couples.Views - Great views from hotel
A soaring skyscraper with a very central location and views of Yokohama Bay Bridge. Rooms mix traditional European charm with contemporary style; think floor to ceiling windows, soft olive hues and antique furniture. Two superb restaurants and a glamorous bar boast serious city views. Very chic. See More