Search the best hotels in Luang Prabang
About Luang Prabang
Once the royal capital of the Kingdom of Laos, modern-day Luang Prabang is a charming riverside town, brimming with beautiful heritage buildings and a plethora of exquisite Buddhist temples. Undoubtedly Laos’ most famous destination, this marvellous community also boasts bustling markets, fabulous food and a gentle, laid-back atmosphere. There’s a tremendous choice of accommodation on offer, ranging from affordable guest houses to ultra-luxurious hotels and romantic hideaways. Our Gurus’ pick of the best places to stay in Laos highlights the real gems!
Rise early to witness orange-robed monks stepping through the streets to gather alms from Buddhist devotees at dawn, as they have each morning for centuries. Luang Prabang’s magic lies in preserving such traditions — do remain conscious of respecting them throughout your trip, as you make your way to some of the area’s 30-odd UNESCO-listed temples and monasteries. Expert guides can unravel myths and legends as you admire glittering mosaics, towering spires and the cool, calming interiors of these ancient sites of worship. Wat Xiang Thong and Wat Chom Si on Mount Phou Si are particularly famous, as is the former Royal Palace, now a museum.
Cycle around town, enjoy hikes in the surrounding hills, and join the crowds at the Night Market, which showcases fantastic local handicrafts. The Traditional Arts and Ethnology Centre offers a fascinating insight into culture and craftsmanship; as do the artisanal weaving and natural batik dyeing classes of Ock Pop Tok. Round off your afternoons with restorative yoga classes and soothing boat trips on the Mekong and Nam Khan Rivers before feasting on flavoursome Laotian cuisine at one of the best places to stay in Luang Prabang.
The Best Places to Stay in Luang Prabang
For Riverside Charm
- Belle Rive Hotel is made up of three colonial-era buildings. Overlooking the Mekong, this is a charming spot for heritage buffs or romantic couples to kick back. Step from pretty maisonettes or generous suites onto private terraces with a cool drink and a good book. Evocative of a bygone era.
- Mekong Riverview Hotel sits at the confluence of the Mekong and Nam Khan Rivers. Soak up the views from wrap-around balconies, and sink into big beds in characterful rooms. Elegant and romantic, with lots of old-school charm.
- Apsara Rive Droite is an intimate riverside bolthole, ideal for couples looking to hide away within reach of the city centre, or for groups of friends eager to book the whole place for a special celebration. Interiors are classic and opulent. Sink into poolside loungers after big days of exploring.
- Satri House was originally built for a branch of the Lao royal family. Now a beautifully restored hotel with four poster-beds, handwoven textiles and views of lovingly manicured gardens, it's a gorgeous choice for honeymooners and romantics. There's a fabulous spa, too.
- Villa Maly has a distinctive 1930s vibe, with pastel shades and antique furniture in rooms set around a refreshing swimming pool. Expect four-poster beds and quirky decor. One for design-minded couples and heritage buffs looking to relax.
- Luang Say Residence boasts 23 opulent suites with romantic muslin-draped four-posters and private terraces. Lush gardens are dotted with lily ponds and a large pool. Savour delicious dinners at the fine dining restaurant each evening.
- Le Sen is a modern, minimalist boutique hotel just a short tuk-tuk ride from town. Pick this place for the pared-back interiors, and the sense of privacy and tranquility. Cool off in the swimming pool or in your own private whirlpool tub. One for couples and design aficionados.
- The Apsara has just 13 simple, characterful rooms, each individually decorated with pops of colour from traditional textiles. The best have Mekong River views and four-poster beds. The restaurant, however, is the real highlight, serving light lunches and delectable Laotian feasts in the evening. A must-stop for keen foodies.
- 3 Nagas' restaurant reputedly serves the best Lao cuisine in town. Expect flavoursome seafood with fragrant herbs, served on a candlelit terrace. The 15 spacious rooms and suites are set in three historic buildings within verdant gardens in the heart of town. Very special.
- The Sanctuary sits within leafy gardens - once home to the royal stables - in the heart of town. Elegant rooms have a classic feel, with wooden accents, private balconies and garden views. Interconnecting rooms are great for families, who will also appreciate the outdoor space and central location.
- My Dream Boutique Resort offers a collection of airy bamboo bungalows on the banks of the Nam Khan River, across the bridge from the main town. Pick this place for its peaceful riverside setting, wonderful massages and flexible options for families and groups. The swimming pool is a nice touch, and prices are very reasonable.
- Kiridara Hotel has a selection of contemporary rooms, suites and multi-bedroom villas. Great for families, this spot has a refreshing swimming pool - with an area for little ones - and can help to organise activities to suit guests of all ages. The spa will be a hit with the grown-ups!
- Ansanga Maison Souvannaphoum was once the home of a member of the royal family. It has been transformed into a striking heritage hotel with flexible spaces for families. Suites have sofa beds, the swimming pool is inviting, and there's an excellent spa for adults to recharge. Very characterful.
For Absolute Luxury
- Amantaka's 24 suites, set inside a painstakingly converted old hospital, ooze understated elegance for which the Aman group is known. A sensational spa, terrific French-Laotian cuisine and an outstanding setting make this a particularly exquisite hotel for those looking to experience the wonders of Luang Prabang.
- Belmond La Résidence Phou Vao is perched atop a hill just beyond Luang Prabang. Expect marvellous views over the jungle, a striking infinity pool, stunning luxury interiors and a fantastic restaurant. An exceptional hotel for honeymooners or nature lovers.
- Sofitel Luang Prabang is made up of a cluster of converted colonial buildings, now housing 23 indulgent suites. The best have four-poster beds, plunge pools in private gardens and big bathtubs. Gourmet cuisine and a sumptuous spa make this a magical honeymoon hotel.
- Rosewood Luang Prabang is an exceptional luxury hotel. Perched in the hills, its collection of villas, suites and indulgent tents are surrounded by verdant jungle. Unwind in style at the spa, feast at the restaurant or kick back in the comfort of your fabulous suite. Glorious.
For Great Value
- Mekong Villa @ Ock Pop Tok has five individually designed rooms in a lovel riverside setting close to town. Part of a crafts centre with an impressive ethical focus, guest rooms are decorated with bright handwoven and dyed textiles. Onsite workshops with local artisans are excellent. A fantastic, affordable base for creative souls.
- Indigo House Hotel sits in the heart of Luang Prabang, well-placed for exploring. Its blue-walled rooms have big cosy beds, and the roof terrace is ideal for soaking up the views of the area's famous temples. Gather at the cafés for light bites and step out to the bustling night market. Great value.
- Maison Dalabua epitomises value chic, with a number of simpler rooms within a leafy complex. Cool off in the pool, unwind at the spa or put your feet up on your private terrace. Private bungalows overlooking the lotus ponds are indulgent and romantic, whilst classic rooms feel like a real treat for the budget-conscious traveller.
- Sala Prabang is spread across seven restored historic townhouses -- one of which was home to Laos' first Prime Minister. Exposed stone walls and beamed ceilings create a rustic feel. A great value choice for history buffs, in a pretty riverside setting.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR VILLA
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or villa we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Luang Prabang Airport and hop in a taxi, take a bus into town or speak to your hotel to arrange an airport pick up in advance.
- If you are confident driving in Asia and would like the flexibility of your own transport, contact our partner Rentalcars to hire a car.
- The weather in Luang Prabang is warm and humid throughout the year, with temperatures hovering around 26 - 33°C. Travel between October and April for plenty of sunshine, but do bring suncream and a hat if you plan to hike or cycle in the heat.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Expand your search to see the best places to stay in Vang Vieng.
- Alternatively, check out our pick of the best places to stay in Laos.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Luang Prabang
Best Hotels in Luang Prabang
Sala Prabang Luang Prabang (Laos) 49 rooms from £43Historic - The residence of the first Prime Minister of Laos, lovingly restored in 2002 by owner-architect Sinlasone SoumpholphakdySights nearby - Stroll just a few minutes through town to the iconic Wat Xiengthong, one of Luang Prabang's famous templesMuseums - Delve into Laos' history at the Royal Palace Museum, home to relics and treasures aplentyValue chic - A simple riverside spot with boutique charm at a very reasonable price
Seven historic townhouses carefully converted into a boutique hotel whilst maintaining their charm. Some rooms are on the small side but all have original touches like exposed stone walls and wooden beams. Modern bathrooms are a welcome addition as are the delicious local dishes on offer. See More
Mekong Villa @ Ock Pop Tok Luang Prabang (Laos) 5 rooms from £56Local exploring - Free tuk tuk rides into town & bicycles make this a great spot for explorers - you can also delve into Laos' craft cultureValue chic - A very affordable choice with stacks of character, part of a culture and crafts initiative based in the areaLearning - Take a guided tour of the Living Crafts Centre for a sense of Ock Pop Tok's impressive missionArt Classes - Try your hand at weaving or natural dyeing classes with the project's fabulous artisans
Five unique rooms sit in the grounds of the Ock Pop Tok Living Craft Centre, perched on the banks of the Mekong. Bright rooms are adorned with the beautiful textiles which are made on site. Make the most of complimentary bikes and a free tuk tuk into town. Off the beaten track but well worth it! See More
My Dream Boutique Resort Luang Prabang (Laos) 24 rooms from £58Hideaway - On the banks of the Nam Khan River, this is a tranquil hideaway close to all the attractions of Luang PrabangTrekking - Speak to the team about guided hill and village walks, as well as excursions to the Kuang Si FallsValue chic - Simple, airy rooms and suites with river views and rivate balconies at very affordable ratesLocal markets - Fill your bags with souvenirs from the bustling Night Market, which showcases local crafts
A place of calm set on the banks of the Nam Khan River. Bamboo bungalows give a laid back feel yet your are only a 15 minute cycle away from town. Rooms are spotless and the staff friendly and efficient. Well priced plus the owners donate a portion of the profits to local projects. A great find. See More
Indigo House Hotel Luang Prabang (Laos) 12 rooms from £59Local exploring - Just 300 metres from the Royal Palace, close to many temples and the Night Market, this is a central spot for keen explorersOther Activities - Watch respectfully as Luang Prabang's Buddhist population gathers to give alms to passing monks early in the morningLocal markets - Admire local handicrafts at the bustling Night Market, a top spot for souvenir shoppingSights nearby - Walk from the hotel and discover some of the town's 33 UNESCO-listed temples
A traditional Laotion townhouse with a contemporary twist. Indigo walls and crisp linens are decorated with local textiles. The rooftop terrace enjoys great views whilst the cafe serves up healthy dishes. Many of the town's sites are within walking distance. Ideal for those on a flyby visit. See More
The Apsara Luang Prabang (Laos) 13 rooms from £53Foodies - Foodies will adore the fusion cuisine at this bright, fresh spot, deemed to be one of the best restaurants in Luang PrabangValue chic - An appealingly affordable base close to all the main sights and with stylish modernist interiorsHotel boats for hire - Speak to the team to arrange a trip up the Mekong to explore the intriguing Pak Ou CavesMountain biking - Cycle or hike through the jungle to the Kuang Si waterfalls for a refreshing dipRecommended by - I Escape
A traditional Lao (heuan) property located just a stone's throw from town, but a world away on the tranquil waters of the Mekong river. Dark woods are accented with bright colours and ornate silk fabrics; four poster beds, modern bathrooms and most have balconies. There is an excellent restaurant. See More
Maison Dalabua Luang Prabang (Laos) 26 rooms from £58Romantic Break - A romantic hotel with private bungalows overlooking leafy gardens & a swimming pool, with a spa for romantic retreatsTotal relaxation - The traditional spa treatments, refreshing pool and lovely lotus ponds make this a relaxing spotMuseums - Delve into the rich history of local crafts at the The Traditional Arts and Ethnology CentreCycling - Borrow the hotel's bicycles to visit nearby temples, restaurants and yoga or craft classes
Walkways weave over the lotus ponds at the entrance to this 26 room boutique hotel. Rooms are individually designed combining the owners antique collection with a modern clean touch. Just a 3 minute walk to the town centre, yet whilst sat in tranquility by the pool, this is near impossible to know. See More
Villa Maly Luang Prabang (Laos) 33 rooms from £85Hotel boats for hire - Take a lunchtime cruise to the Pak Ou Caves, or an evening boat trip on the Mekong to watch the sunsetLocal exploring - A tranquil spot in the centre of Luang Prabang, well-placed for exploring on foot or by bicycleSights nearby - Discover the Buddhist temples of Luang Prabang with the valuable insights of an expert guideValue chic - Enjoy striking interiors and soothing spa treatments at an inviting price
A converted colonial-era hotel once lived in by royalty. Now decked out with 1930s decor this is a tranquil spot with airy rooms and a beautiful outdoor pool. Ideally situated within easy reach of Luang Prabang's temples and restaurants but also a perfect abode for completely unwinding. See More
Le Sen Luang Prabang (Laos) 19 rooms from £74Great walks - Speak to the team about hiring a reputable guide for a day trip around Luang Prabang's marvellous templesLocal markets - Stroll to the Night Market after dinner for locally crafted souvenirs made by artisans from all over LaosCity Style - A stylish hotel with clean lines and a contemporary feel, perfect for fans of modern designRomantic Break - Book a private villa with whirlpool tub for a restful and romantic weekend away
Ultra stylish boutique hotel, a tuk-tuk ride from town. The style here is predominantly minimalist chic with dark wood floors, a monochrome palette and all mod cons. The restaurant keeps everyone happy with a mix of International and Laotian cuisine. A smart stay just outside the centre. See More
The Sanctuary Hotel Luang Prabang (Laos) 30 rooms from £96Local markets - Hit the stalls at Dara Market for some souvenir shopping - Laos is famed for its traditional woven textilesLocal exploring - A little haven set within the historic town of Luang Prabang, ideal for exploring on foot or by bicycleFamilies - Families will appreciate the swimming pool, verdant gardens, spacious modern rooms and central locationMuseums - Spend a morning soaking up Luang Prabang's history at the Royal Palace Museum
Large airy rooms with private terraces face out onto the manicured tropical gardens.The decor is minimalist and clean. The hotel has been constructed around three historic royal buildings. A sit out terrace overlooks the lotus pond. A place of complete calm in an excellent central location of town. See More
The Belle Rive Hotel Luang Prabang (Laos) 15 rooms from £101Total relaxation - A tranquil choice for fans of heritage interiors, eager to while away afternoons on the balcony with a good bookKayaking - Speak to the team about kayaking excurions and boat trips on the Mekong River, just steps from the hotelSights nearby - Luang Prabang's 34 famous Buddhist temples are fascinating & well worth exploring with a guideRomantic Break - A romantic little boutique pad with pretty bedrooms boasting river views from private terraces
Three riverside colonial houses refurbished with exquisite care. Rosewood furniture, high ceilings and Loatian textiles give an elegant feel evocative of a bygone age. Take a drink on the terrace overlooking the river and sample traditional Laotian dishes. Simple elegance. See More
Kiridara Hotel Luang Prabang (Laos) 24 rooms from £109Total relaxation - A spa, swimming pool and tranquil setting all add to the wonderful sense of relaxationBirdwatching - Spot myriad birds flitting between the trees in the jungle which surrounds the hotelFamilies - A family favourite, with multi-bedroom villas, a children's pool and leafy gardensKayaking - Take the whole family kayaking on the striking Mekong RiverRecommended by - Tablet
A chic hotel built on a hillside giving exceptional views and an out of town feel. Rooms are modern and elegant with large windows making the most of the scenery. Laotian flavours are worth sampling with the hotel's tapas style menu. The infinity pool and spa make it a spot difficult spot to leave. See More
Satri House Luang Prabang (Laos) 31 rooms from £119Honeymoons - Four-poster beds, huge bathtubs and a fine dining restaurant make this a dreamy honeymoon spotHideaway - A rejuvenating hideaway within easy reach of all the sights, offering the best of both worldsMuseums - Visit the Traditional Arts and Ethnology Centre to delve into Laos rich cultural heritageYoga - Begin your morning with a restorative or energising private yoga classRecommended by - I Escape, Mr & Mrs Smith
Mekong Riverview Hotel Luang Prabang (Laos) 22 rooms from £129Local exploring - Stroll into the historic part of Luang Prabang to soak up this lovely town's rich architcture and cultural pastOther Activities - Swim in the network of natural pools created by the nearby waterfalls of Tad Sae and Kuang SiHideaway - A charming heritage hideaway on the edge of town, overlooking the Mekong and Nam Khan RiversGreat walks - Hike up the sacred Phousi Mountain for expansive views of the surrounding area
Set in the primary position of Luang Prabang peninsula, where the waters divide between the Mekong and the Nam Khan. Owner managed, the finer details haven't been forgotten. Some rooms have wraparound balconies and spa baths; all have remote controlled beds. The ideal spot for a riverside relaxing. See More
The Apsara Rive Droite Luang Prabang (Laos) 9 rooms from £137Art Classes - Take wonderful creative weaving and natural dyeing classes at Ock Pop Tok's artisanal workshopGroups - Book the whole place for a special celebration with friends in gorgeous Luang PrabangHoneymoons - An intimate bolthole for relaxed honeymooners on the banks of the riverKayaking - Speak to the team about kayaking trips on the Nam Khan RiverRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
Luang Say Residence Luang Prabang (Laos) 23 rooms from £140Cycling - Explore the quiet streets of Luang Prabang by bicycle, embracing the slower pace of life in this restful townRomantic Break - A little sanctuary with opulent, airy suites overlooking leafy gardens, perfect for a romantic breakLocal exploring - Ideally situated to delve into all the ancient town of Luang Prabang has to offerGolf - Play a round on the Luang Prabang Golf Course, just 3km from the hotel
A renovated mansion comprising of 23 suites. A large pool sits at the centre with manicured gardens and ponds covered in lilypads. Rooms have traditional Laotian wooden floors and colonial style furniture. Beautifully presented Asian and European dishes are served whilst the bar has a bistro feel. See More
Angsana Maison Souvannaphoum Luang Prabang (Laos) 25 rooms from £140Families - Book a suite with a sofa bed if travelling with young children, who will love the pool and gardensCooking classes - Create popular Lao dishes in private lunchtime classes with the hotel's culinary teamArt Classes - Create a traditional bamboo boat at one of the resort's krathong-making classesHistoric - A colonial-style mansion, previously the residence of Prince Souvanna Phouma
A converted colonial house set in the ancient town of Luang Prabang. French elegance meets Loas charm in this quiet, centrally located spot. An excellent spa and well kept pool are on offer. Ideally placed within walking distance of temples, restaurants and the river there's plenty to keep busy. See More
3 Nagas Luang Prabang (Laos) 15 rooms from £144Local exploring - Brilliantly located in the centre of Luang Prabang, perfect for exploring UNESCO World Heritage sitesFoodies - The restaurant specialises in fragrant Laotian fare, including fresh seafood with local herbsGreat walks - Climb Mount Phousi for striking sunset views of Luang Prabang's rooftops and temple spiresOther Activities - Take a ride in either of the hotel's classic cars, a 1952 Citroen and a 1956 Mercedes BenzRecommended by - Tablet, I Escape
Set across three historical houses in central Luang Prabang subtly renovated to accommodate modern comforts whilst maintaining its charm. A central courtyard houses the excellent restaurant voted the best Lao restaurant in town. Access to the hotel's classic car collection sets this place apart. See More
Sofitel Luang Prabang Luang Prabang (Laos) 23 rooms from £285Spa breaks - Enjoy rejuvenating wellness treatments using traditional Laotian herbs and massage techniques at the spaCooking classes - Join the chefs for fabulous cooking classes, discovering fragrant Laotian cuisine & honing your skillsMuseums - Visit the Traditional Arts and Ethnology Centre, which champions local craft and artisanal communitiesHoneymoons - A dream honeymoon hotel with indulgent suites boasting private plunge pools and gorgeous interiorsRecommended by - I Escape
A cluster of French colonial structures, cleverly converted into 23 sophisticated suites. Each suite provides the ultimate in privacy with gardens, Laotian textiles and spa-like bathrooms - some even boast plunge pools for absolute indulgence. The perfect romantic getaway. See More
Belmond La Résidence Phou Vao Luang Prabang (Laos) 34 rooms from £302Hideaway - A magical tropical resort in the hills close to Luang Prabang, perfect for those looking to hide away in utter blissHoneymoons - Marvellous for honeymooners seeking a fabulous luxury escape in a fascinating part of LaosBirdwatching - Spot colourful birds flitting past your room, or take guided forest hikes to see wildlifeOther Activities - Join a hotel's expert guide for a mystery culinary journey through Luang PrabangRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
An elegant colonial hotel in a secluded setting just outside Luang Prabang. Part of the Belmond group, it promises exceptional standards and attentive service. Perched atop a hill giving panoramic views best enjoyed from the infinity pool. The Laotian cuisine comes highly recommended. See More
Rosewood Luang Prabang Luang Prabang 23 rooms from £637Back to Nature - The secluded hilltop tents offer unbelievable views and their treetop location gives you a front row seat to the dawn chorusOther Activities - Check out the spa, where traditional Laotian medicine and folk culture are mixed with Western techniques to great effectSights nearby - Guests must visit Luang Prabang, the mixture of Laotian and French architecture is remarkably beautifulCooking classes - Culinary director Sebastian Rubis brings guests to the organic farms and markets that supply the hotelRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A stunning luxury hideaway in the jungle-clad hills outside Luang Prabang. With villas, suites and hilltop tents decked out in an elegant mixture of bold Laotian style and French furnishings. The restaurant serves tantalising Royal Laos cuisine with local organic ingredients. Remarkable. See More
Amantaka Luang Prabang (Laos) 24 rooms from £890Spa breaks - The superb spa is an Aman classic, inviting guests to embark upon holistic wellness journeys in a gorgeous settingHoneymoons - A dream honeymoon destination, with exquisite heritage suites - some with plunge poolsYoga - Begin your morning with restorative stretches at the tranquil yoga studiosHotel boats for hire - Board the Aman Boat for an early morning ride down the MekongRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Fodors
An old hotel, beautifully renovated into a hotel comprising of 24 suites. As with all Aman properties, the spa is sensational and luxury is taken to the next level. Service is attentive without being intrusive. Some suites feature private swimming pools. Ideal for completely unwinding. See More