- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Luang Prabang
About Luang Prabang
Until the communist takeover in 1975 Luang Prabang was the royal capital of the Kingdom of Laos, and has the wonderfully redolent architecture you’d expect from the capital of such a graceful, yet colourful nation. Its unique beauty, plus the bustle of its markets and the gentleness of the population - known for its numerous monks, make this one of the most popular tourist destinations in Laos, so there’s plenty of accommodation competing to be included on our Guru’s list of the best places to stay in Luang Prabang.
Luang Prabang’s traditional feel is helped by its 11:30 curfew, and peace reigns of an evening, so if you want to stay up any later than that you’ll need your choice from our best places to stay in Luang Prabang to have its own bar. But it’s worth getting up early in the morning with the rest of the city to enjoy the procession of monks and the gleam of the golden temples in the early morning sun.
Hundreds of monks and novices live in Luang Prebang, in the hundreds of temples and monasteries, most of which are in the main part of the city between the Nam Kahn and Mekong Rivers, below the steep hill where you’ll see one of the city’s largest wats, Wat Chom Si.
Wat Xiang Thong is another impressive local landmark covered in an exceptionally beautiful tree of life mosaic. The Royal Palace Museum is also unmissable, a blend of Lao and French design with wonderful Gauguin-esque murals and plenty of interesting exhibits labelled in English. Visitors will also want to explore the Handicraft Night Market and faste as much of the local cuisine as possible!
Our pick of the best places to stay in Luang Prabang has something for all tastes and budgets, whether you're here on a very tight budget or looking for five star luxury, where money is no object.
For great value
- Mekong Villa @ Ock Pop Tok cannot be beaten when it comes to value for money. The four atractive rooms are individually designed and sit amid a craft centre overlooking the mighty Mekong. It's slightly off the beaten track but you can borrow a bike for exploring or jump on a free tuk tuk into town!
- Indigo House Hotel offers traditional Laotian style with a contemporary twist. It's got a roof terrace with a view, a cafe for healthy snacks and it's walking distance to some of the city's top sights.
- My Dream Resort is a charming collection of bamboo bungalows overlooking the Nam Khan river. It's a bit out of town, but perfect for a peaceful stay that won't break the bank.
- Maison Dalabua is the epitome of value chic. Individually designed rooms are a clever blend of traditional and contemporary. There's a superb pool for cooling off and you're just minutes from the centre of town. Doubles start from as little as £50 per night B&B,
For a luxury stay
- If you have unlimited funds, there really is only one place to stay: the Amantaka. The twenty four suites ooze understated elegance and the spa is simply superb. Add to that Laotian/French cuisine, excellent service and a beautiful location....
- Belmond La Residence Phou Vao has similarly grand credentials and will not disappoint. Perched atop a hill just outside town, you'll find wonderful views, stunning interiors and an infinity pool to die for. The restaurant is highly recommended too.
- Hotel de la Paix is a cluster of Colonial buildings cleverly converted to provide 25 luxury suites, each with private garden, spa style bathroom and some with their own plunge pool.
- Satri House is a lovingly restored property not far from the centre of town. Rooms are beautifully decked out, some with four posters, there are lovely gardens with a pool and a fab spa with herbal steam room.
- Luang Say Residence boasts twenty three luxurious suites with romantic muslin draped four posters and private terraces. There's beautiful lush gardens dotted with lily ponds and a large pool and an excellent fine dining restaurant.
- The Apsara is a traditionally Lao property just off the calm of the Mekong River, decorated with plenty of dark wood and brightly coloured silks. The 13 rooms have lovely four poster beds, but also the benefits of a modern bathroom, plus there’s an excellent restaurant.
- 3 Nagas boasts a restaurant that's been voted the best Lao cuisine in town, plus you'll find spacious rooms and suites, verdant gardens and you're in walking distance of at least thirty UNESCO Heritage temples!
- The Sanctuary is located in historic buildings in the centre of the city. Elegant rooms overlook the gardens and lily pond and there are connecting rooms available for families. It's great value too.
- Sala Prabang spreads its rooms amongst seven historic townhouses and they've kept many original features including exposed stone walls and beamed ceilings. Families are welcome here and there's no additional charge for an extra bed if your child is under 7!
For boutique chic
- Le Sen is an ultra stylish boutique hotel a short tuk tuk ride from town. Come here for minimalist interiors, an inviting pool and delicious food.
- Kiridara Hotel offers modern elegant accommodation in a hillside location, so you've got the views too. There's a dreamy infinity pool, sleek interiors and seriously good spa.
- Apsara Rive Droite is ideal for a chic stay if you don't want to be in the heart of the action. And it's got a great restaurant.
For colonial style
- The Belle Rive Hotel is a conversion of three beautiful Colonial buildings overlooking the Mekong. You'll find high ceilings, rosewood furniture and local textiles - all very evocative of days gone by.
- Ansanga Maison Souvannaphoum is a colonial beauty located in the ancient heart of Luang Prabang. Stunning exteriors and interiors, plus an excellent spa and pool.
- Villa Santi is a converted 19th century villa where classic french colonial and traditional Laotian design has come together in style. There's a small plunge pool and the restaurant's headed up by the daughter of the last King's head chef.
- Villa Maly is yet another colonial pick - a property that was once owned by local royalty. Rooms are airy and decorated with a 1930s vibe and there's a wonderful pool for unwinding after you've had your fill of temples!
For river side location
- Mekong Riverview Hotel is the place to stay if you want a top riverside spot. There's wrap round balconies for drinking in the views, and the rooms are elegant and sophisticated.
Best Hotels in Luang Prabang
Mekong Villa @ Ock Pop Tok 4 rooms from £35Luang Prabang
Four unique rooms sit in the grounds of the Ock Pop Tok Living Craft Centre, perched on the banks of the Mekong. Spacious and chic & adorned with the beautiful textiles which are made on site. Make the most of complimentary bikes and a free tuk tuk into town. Off the beaten track but well worth it!Local exploring - Though just outside Luang Prabang, it's a great spot from which to exploreValue chic - Doubles start from just $45 per night B&B in low seasonSights nearby - A free daily shuttle bus runs between 8am and 5pm and takes you to the centre of town.Views - Overlooking the Mekong River
My Dream Resort 24 rooms from £45Luang Prabang (Ban Meung Nga Village)
A place of calm set on the banks of the Nam Khan River. Bamboo bungalows give a laid back feel yet your are only a 15 minute cycle away from town. Rooms are spotless and the staff friendly and efficient. Well priced plus the owners donate a portion of the profits to local projects. A great find.Hideaway - Set on the banks of the Nam Khan River gives complete solitude in a townValue chic - Simple clean design without a heavy price tagLocal markets - Enter the hussle and bustle of the Luang Prabang nightmarketGreat walks - The hotel organises hill and village walks
Indigo House Hotel 12 rooms from £46Luang Prabang (Ban Pakham)
A traditional Laotion townhouse with a contemporary twist. White washed walls and crisp linens are decorated with local textiles. The rooftop terrace enjoys great views whilst the cafe serves up healthy dishes. Many of the town's sites are within walking distance. Ideal for those on a flyby visit.Local markets - Placed right on the bustling nightmarket road allowing plenty of opportunity to scour for handicraftsSights nearby - Walk from the hotel and explore the town's 33 UNESCO heritage temples
The Apsara 13 rooms from £48Luang Prabang (Ban Wat Sene)
A traditional Lao (heuan) property located just a stone's throw from town, but a world away on the tranquil waters of the Mekong river. Dark woods are accented with bright colours and ornate silk fabrics; four poster beds, modern bathrooms and most have balconies. There is an excellent restaurant.Local markets - Whether or not you are here for shopping the Phu Si market is a visual and veritable feast!Cooking classes - Learn the local secrets at the Tum Tum Cheng on Sakkaline cooking school.Sights nearby - The Royal Palace and Phu Si temple are both must visits in Luang Prabang.Full of characterRecommended by - I Escape
Maison Dalabua 26 rooms from £49Luang Prabang (Ban That Luang,)
Walkways weave over the lotus ponds at the entrance to this 26 room boutique hotel. Rooms are individually designed combining the owners antique collection with a modern clean touch. Just a 3 minute walk to the town centre, yet whilst sat in tranquility by the pool, this is near impossible to know.Total relaxation - Lotus ponds, private bungalows and a traditional spa. Zen throughoutValue chic - Luxury accommodation at half the priceLocal markets - Leave the tranquillity of the hotel behind and search for handicrafts at the nightmarketGreat walks - Walk through the jungle and discover Kuang Sii Waterfall
The Sanctuary Hotel 30 rooms from £50Luang Prabang (Ban Aham)
Large airy rooms with private terraces face out onto the manicured tropical gardens.The decor is minimalist and clean. The hotel has been constructed around three historic royal buildings. A sit out terrace overlooks the lotus pond. A place of complete calm in an excellent central location of town.Value chic - Spacious, modern rooms with private balconies and a great price tagSights nearby - At a great vantage to explore the UNESCO heritage Buddhist temples in and around Luang PrabangLocal markets - Within easy walking distance of Luang Prabang's bustling nightmarketTraditional
Sala Prabang 49 rooms from £61Luang Prabang (Ban Xiengmouane)
Seven historic townhouses carefully converted into a boutique hotel whilst maintaining their charm. Some rooms are on the small side but all have original touches like exposed stone walls and wooden beams. Modern bathrooms are a welcome addition as are the delicious local dishes on offer.City Style - Traditional townhouses turned welcoming boutique hotel. A charming stayValue chic - Stylish, sympathetic interiors with a sympathetic price tage!Local markets - Within walking distance from the nightmarketSights nearby - Discover the historic 34 Buddhist temples
Le Sen 19 rooms from £68Luang Prabang (Mano Village)
Ultra stylish boutique hotel, a tuk-tuk ride from town. The style here is predominantly minimalist chic with dark wood floors, a monochrome palette and all mod cons. The restaurant keeps everyone happy with a mix of International and Laotian cuisine. A smart stay just outside the centre.Local markets - There are lots of local markets in Luang Prabang to exploreSights nearby - All of Luang Prabang's attractions are easily accessibleSwimming Pool - Inviting outdoor pool with kids' mini pool area
The Belle Rive Hotel 15 rooms from £73Luang Prabang (Riverfront)
Three riverside colonial houses refurbished with exquisite care. Rosewood furniture, high ceilings and Loatian textiles give an elegant feel evocative of a bygone age. Take a drink on the terrace overlooking the river and sample from traditional Laotian dishes. Simple elegance.Sights nearby - 34 heritage Buddhist temples lie awaiting to be exploredLocal markets - Search for handicrafts in the nightmarketFour poster beds - For romantics.
Villa Santi 20 rooms from £92Luang Prabang
A converted 19th century villa styled in a blend of french colonial and traditional Lao design. The opulent suites are worth spending your buck on and the spa worth your time. The plunge pool is small but serves it's purpose. The restaurant is headed by the daughter of the last king's private chef.Sights nearby - Take in the views from a top of Mount PhousiLocal markets - Scour for handicrafts at the night marketSpaSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Kiridara Hotel 24 rooms from £107Luang Prabang (Ban Naviengkham)
A chic hotel built on a hillside giving exceptional views and an out of town feel. Rooms are modern and elegant with large windows making the most of the scenery. Laotian flavours are worth sampling with the hotel's tapas style menu. The infinity pool and spa make it a spot difficult spot to leave.Local markets - Spend an evening in the bustling night market searching for traditional handicraftsSights nearby - Visit any one of the 34 UNESCO Heritage temples in Luang PrabangSpaSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Tablet
Ansanga Maison Souvannaphoum 25 rooms from £111Luang Prabang
A converted colonial house set in the ancient town of Luang Prabang. French elegance meets Loas charm in this quiet, centrally located spot. An excellent spa and well kept pool are on offer. Ideally placed within walking distance of temples, restaurants and the river there's plenty to keep busy.Local markets - Shop for local handicrafts at the Luang Prabang night marketKayaking - Kyak on the Nam Khan RiverSpaSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Satri House 31 rooms from £117Luang Prabang (Ban That Luang)
A lovingly restored, owner managed, colonial house within a 10 minute walk of central Luang Prabang. Set within beautifully manicured gardens the hotel itself is lovely to walk around. The spa is noteworthy particularly the herbal steam room. Ideal for a romantic break.Sights nearby - Visit the Traditional Arts and Ethnology Centre get educated on the local traditional dressLocal markets - The hotel is close to the nightmarket famed for local handicraftsSpaFour poster beds - For romantics.Recommended by - I Escape, Mr & Mrs Smith
Mekong Riverview Hotel 22 rooms from £127Luang Prabang (Xieng Thong Village)
Set in the primary position of Luang Prabang peninsula, where the waters divide between the Mekong and the Nam Khan. Owner managed, the finer details haven't been forgotten. Some rooms have wraparound balconies and spa baths; all have remote controlled beds. The ideal spot for a riverside relaxing.Great walks - Take a walk up the sacred Phoussy Mountain for great views of the surrounding areaSights nearby - 12 of the 34 UNESCO heritage temples are in the surrounding Peninsula of the hotelLocal markets - Spend an evening exploring the bustling nightmarketViews - Great views from hotel
The Apsara Rive Droite 9 rooms from £134Luang Prabang (Ban Wat Sene)
Set on the opposite bank of the Nam Khan River yet within easy access of central Luang Prabang. A beautifully designed property with subtle, clean design. Harbored in the midst is a delightful restaurant. The perfect combination of town life and quiet country living.Sights nearby - Visit one or all of the 34-UNESCO heritage templesLocal markets - Explore the buzzing nightmarketKayaking - Kayak on the Nam Khan RiverSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
Luang Say Residence 23 rooms from £137Luang Prabang
A renovated mansion comprising of 23 suites. A large pool sits at the centre with manicured gardens and ponds covered in lilypads. Rooms have traditional Laotian wooden floors and colonial style furniture. Beautifully presented Asian and European dishes are served whilst the bar has a bistro feel.Cooking classes - Take a cooking course by Kuang Si Waterfall before jumping in for a cool offSights nearby - 33 UNESCO heritage Wats (temples) lie waiting to be exploredRomantic - Good for couples.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
3 Nagas 15 rooms from £142Luang Prabang (Vat Nong Village 0600)
Set across three historical houses in central Luang Prabang subtly renovated to accommodate modern comforts whilst maintaining its charm. A central courtyard houses the excellent restaurant voted the best Lao restaurant in town. Access to the hotel's classic car collection sets this place apart.Sights nearby - Within walking distance of 30 UNESCO Heritage templesLocal markets - Pick up local handicrafts at the nightime marketRecommended by - Tablet, I Escape
Villa Maly 33 rooms from £164Luang Prabang (Ban That Luang Village)
A converted colonial era hotel once lived in by royalty. Now decked out with 1930s decor this is a tranquil spot with airy rooms and a beautiful outdoor pool. Ideally situated within easy reach of Luang Prabang's temples and restaurants but also a perfect abode for completely unwinding.Local markets - Shop for handicrafts at the famous nightmarketSights nearby - Discover the Buddhist temples of Luang PrabangSpaSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Hotel de la Paix 25 rooms from £190Luang Prabang (Ban Mano)
A cluster of French Colonial structures with strong Laotian design, cleverly converted into 25 suites. Each suite provides the ultimate in privacy with gardens, spa-like bathrooms and some even boast plunge pools. It doesn't come cheap but it is the perfect romantic getaway.Romantic Break - Suites provide ultimate privacy with gardens and some have plunge poolsLocal exploring - Set in the ancient town of Luang PrabangLocal markets - Within easy access of the nightmarket ideal for picking up local handicraftsSights nearby - 10 minute walk from Luang Prabang and its UNESCO Heritage templesRecommended by - Tablet, I Escape
Belmond La Residence Phou Vao 34 rooms from £323Luang Prabang
An elegant colonial hotel in a secluded setting just outside Luang Prabang. Part of the Belmond group it ensures high standards and attentive service. Perched a top a hill giving panoramic views best enjoyed from the infinity pool.The Laotian cuisine comes highly recommended.Cooking classes - In house cookery classes explore the Laotian cuisineLocal markets - Explore the buzzing nightmarketDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.SpaRecommended by - Tablet
Rosewood Luang Prabang 23 rooms from £637Luang Prabang
A stunning luxury hideaway in the jungle-clad hills outside Luang Prabang. With villas, suites and hilltop tents decked out in an elegant mixture of bold Laotian style and French furnishings. The restaurant serves tantalising Royal Laos cuisine with local organic ingredients. Remarkable.Trekking - The hotel will organise treks to Kuang Si Falls (a three tiered waterfall) and the Pak Ou Caves (filled with statues of Buddha)Back to Nature - The secluded hilltop tents offer unbelievable views and their treetop location gives you a front row seat to the dawn chorusOther Activities - Check out the spa, where traditional Laotian medicine and folk culture are mixed with Western techniques to great effectTotal relaxation - Sit on your chez lounge and listen to the stream gurgle, take native treatments in the spa and swim in the poolRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Amantaka 24 rooms from £875Luang Prabang (Ban Thongchaleun)
An old hospital beautifully renovated into a hotel comprising of 24 suites.As with all Anamresorts properties the spa is excellent and luxury is taken to the next level. Service is attentive without being intrusive. Some suites feature private swimming pools. Ideal for completely unwinding.Sights nearby - The hotel organises private tours to any of the 34 UNESCO Heritage temples in Luang PrabangLocal markets - Visit the nightmarket to pick up local handicraftsRomantic - Good for couples.SpaRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Fodors