Search the best hotels in Vientiane
One of the least-visited capital cities in South East Asia, Vientiane has an understated elegance, with its French-era mansions, wide boulevards and glittering temples. It’s a colourful city — and a small one — with most of the main sights clustered near the banks of the mighty Mekong River and around Setthariat and Samsenthai Streets. Many of the best places to stay in Vientiane are set in the same area, perfect for exploring on foot or by bicycle. They range from grand riverside hotels to chic little boutique properties and great value finds for anyone on a tight budget.
Often skipped by travellers making straight for Luang Prabang, the Laotian capital’s more famous cousin, Vientiane is brilliant for relaxed ambles, with pauses at marvellous temples, museums and culinary spots. The imposing Patuxai Victory Monument and the sacred Pha That Luang are striking; the imposing Wat Sisaket is the oldest in the city and home to thousands of images of Buddha. The nearby Haw Phra Kaew is also fascinating. For further insight into the country's rich cultural heritage, visit the Lao Textile Museum and Lao National Museum. Further afield, the Xieng Khuan Buddha Park makes for a marvellous day trip.
Join the crowds along the riverside promenade in the evenings for a cold beer, a taste of local specialities from myriad food stalls, or a stroll through the bustling Night Market. You’ll also be within easy reach of most of the best places to stay in Vientiane!
The Best Places to Stay in Vientiane
For Boutique Chic
- La Seine Hotel offers glamorous interiors with bold, jewel-like green or red tones in spacious rooms and suites. Book a suite with a free-standing tub for a romantic weekend away, or a large room with twin beds for a holiday with the kids. Expect chic, French-inspired interiors and a very cool wine bar.
- Lao Poet Hotel, created by the team behind Luang Prabang's iconic Satri House, is a quirky boutique property with bright wallpapers, velvet upholstery and an elegant 1930s Indochinese feel. A characterful yet affordable choice for couples and families.
For Classic Charm
- Dhavara has a classic feel, with hardwood floors, marble bathrooms and rich red textiles. Pick this place for the central location and the traditional Laotian charm. The excellent restaurant showcases Laotian cuisine. For fans of old-school style.
- Green Park Boutique Hotel is a tranquil oasis in a quieter residential area. Rooms channel modern Laotian style and boast pool-facing balconies. Families will adore the lush gardens, refreshing swimming pool and friendly feel. Also surprisingly well-priced.
- Salana Boutique Hotel is a sleek fusion of timeless Laotian elements with more modern influences. Kick back in spacious rooms, or hit the gym and sauna. A brilliant base in the heart of the city.
- Settha Palace is a hugely romantic little hotel with sumptuous colonial-era interiors. Unwind in elegant rooms with four-poster beds, crafted rosewood furnishings and marble bathrooms. Highlights include the spa, French fine dining restaurant and palm-fringed pool. A Vientiane favourite.
- The Eastin Hotel offers grand interiors with high ceilings, light blue and white upholstery and expansive Mekong River views. A swish, luxurious base for couples, friends or families with generously proportioned suites, a swimming pool, and a buzzy rooftop bar. Very grown up.
For Great Value
- Beau Rivage Mekong has bright pink or light blue rooms with striking river views. A quirky spot offering very reasonable rates and an excellent riverside location, it's a fun choice for couples and friends who will appreciate being within walking distance of the sights. Very funky.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR VILLA
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or villa we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Vientiane Wattay Airport, just 4km west of the city. Hop in a taxi, take a bus or speak to your hotel to arrange an airport pick up in advance.
- If you are confident driving in Asia and would like the flexibility of your own transport, contact our partner Rentalcars to hire a car.
- The weather in Vientiane is warm and humid throughout the year. Travel between December and March for slightly cooler climes. The rains are expected between November and March — bring umbrellas if travelling at those times!
STILL NOT SURE?
- Expand your search to see the best places to stay in Luang Prabang.
- Alternatively, check out our pick of the best places to stay in Laos.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Vientiane
Best Hotels in Vientiane
Hotel Beau Rivage Mekong Vientiane (Laos) 16 rooms from £41Local exploring - Beautifully located on the banks of the Mekong, within reach of bars, cafes & boutiquesCycling - Jump aboard the hotel's bicycles to cycle through the city centre and along the riverValue chic - A pint-sized hotel with a bright personality and very reasonable ratesLocal markets - Stroll to the bustling nearby Night Market for souvenirs and fun finds
You can't miss this flamingo pink edifice located along a dusty downtown street. Its 16 individually decorated blue and pink rooms feature cosy waffle bedspreads, bamboo screens & impressive Mekong River views. Local cuisine is served at Le Khme Khong and there is a pleasant sun dappled garden. See More
Green Park Boutique Hotel Vientiane (Laos) 34 rooms from £78Value chic - A wonderfully characterful little hotel with great food, a welcoming team & affordable ratesLearning - Visit the Wat Si Saket temple, the oldest in Laos, which houses over 2000 images of BuddhaFamilies - Families will love the swimming pool, friendly feel & flexible room optionsRestaurant - Savour fresh cuisine on the terrace at Sala Nong Chan, the hotel's lovely restaurantRecommended by - I Escape
An urban oasis housed in a traditional tiled building with timeless interiors. All rooms feature private balconies with views of the lush garden and inviting pool, plus a serious bathtub. Bicycles are complimentary and there is a spa, gym and popular restaurant. A great value spot for all ages. See More
Lao Poet Hotel Vientiane (Laos) 55 rooms from £78Romantic Break - A stylish and romantic hotel, complete with an infinity pool and funky guestrooms in a historic residenceWeddings - A funky venue for bright and lively wedding receptions with up to 80 guestsLocal markets - Guided evening tours of the night market's lively stalls are brilliant for sampling Laotian specialitiesDesigner - Created by Lamphoune Voravongsa, also behind the acclaimed Satri Hotel in Luang Prabang
A soothing oasis in the heart of Vientiane, this quirky & characterful art-focused hotel showcases unusual Laotian design. Created by the team behind Luang Prabang's iconic Satri House, this boutique bolthole channels 1930s Indochinese style through artwork, antiques & bold colour schemes. A gem. See More
Salana Boutique Hotel Vientiane (Laos) 42 rooms from £88Romantic Break - Book the Salana Suite for a wonderfully romantic city break, complete with soothing jacuzziCity Style - A stylish, centrally located hotel with characterful interiors refelcting Laotian cultureSights nearby - The Laos National Museum is just 500 metres away, and has some fascinating exhibitsSailing - Round off your day with a scenic sunset cruise down the Mekong River
If Salana were a wine it would be a full bodied Cabernet (plenty of dark, polished wood) and there is a great selection at Sky Bar. A sleek and stylish hotel boasting a central location guests are treated to hot tub baths and spacious rooms with classic interiors. There is a spa, gym but no pool. See More
Dhavara Vientiane (Chanthabouly District) 26 rooms from £97City Style - A classic boutique hotel with opulent, old-school interiors for those craving a taste of the Vientiane of a bygone eraLocal exploring - In the heart of town, walking distance from the riverfront and a plethora of shops and cafésMuseums - Delve into local history with an informative visit to the Lao National MuseumLocal markets - Fill your bags with souvenirs from the lively Night Market
Moments from the Mekong River, Dhavara offers central accommodation with heaps of classic style. Think hardwood floors, marble bathrooms, dark wooden furnishings & crisp white linens. Family suites have small kitchenettes & some rooms have balconies. Savour modern Laotian cuisine at the restaurant. See More
La Seine Hotel Vientiane 21 rooms from £101Families - Family suites are perfect for trips with little ones, who will appreciate the twin beds and fun surprisesCity Style - A stylish riverside hotel with lashings of French-inspired sophisticationGreat walks - Stroll through the historic district, admiring Buddhist temples & French colonial bungalows before catching a riverside sunsetSights nearby - Vientiane is a city of temples, and guided tours of these glittering edifices come highly recommended
A sophisticated riverside hotel with rooms and suites bedecked in rich, jewel-like tones and influenced by classic French style. Expect velvet upholstery, big bathtubs and striking Mekong views from this chic urban boutique hotel. The glamorous bar's impressive wine selection is a real highlight. See More
Eastin Hotel Vientiane from £104Local markets - Rise early for the morning market — complete with the day's catch — or join the crowds at the popular riverfront night marketSights nearby - Pha That Luang is one of Laos' most significant monuments, and well worth visiting with an expert guideRestaurant - Dine in style at Silk Road, the hotel's smart international restaurantSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool on the 4th floor with city and river views
A grand riverside hotel with swish, luxurious interiors. High-ceilinged rooms & suites are clad in white & light blue tones, with crisp linens, inviting seating areas & expansive Mekong views. Soak up superb sunsets from the rooftop bar. A chic and unusual addition to Vientiane's hotel scene. See More
Settha Palace Hotel Vientiane (Laos) 29 rooms from £186Romantic Break - With four-poster beds and rooms made for lingering, plus fine dining & spa treatments, this is a very romantic spotWeddings - A characterful venue for a wedding with up to 200 guests, complete with a lantern-lit courtyardGreat walks - Guided walking tours of the city centre are a wonderful introduction to little-known LaosCycling - Hop aboard the hotel's bikes to cycle around historic Vientiane
Stylish French interiors & fine dining. Rooms & bathrooms feature luxuries like Italian marble & crafted rosewood furnishings, with capacious four-posters creating an air of romance. La Belle Epoque serves French cuisine whilst Sidewalk Cafe is contemporary Asian. Head to Poolside Bar for apéritifs. See More