Search the best hotels in Ipoh
An elegant city in the Malaysian hills, Ipoh has long been the gateway to the picturesque tea country of the Cameron Highlands and beautiful Pulau Pangkor. Once a wealthy tin mining hub, Ipoh offers heritage architecture, fascinating museums and heaps of activities for foodies, adventurers and culture buffs alike. Very much a worthy destination in its own right, Malaysia’s fourth-largest city has an excellent array of great B&Bs and hotels for couples, friends or families. Most of the best places to stay in Ipoh are set close to the city centre, but we do also recommend one very special rainforest retreat.
Take a guided walking tour to explore Ipoh’s heritage centre, admiring landmarks such as the Ipoh Railway Station, Birch Clock Tower and the Old Post Office. Mural Art's Lane is the place to go for street art, whilst street-side hawker stands brim with delicious local specialities and there’s a buzzy evening scene in the heart of the city. Culture aficionados can sate their curiosity at the Tea Museum, the Geological Museum and the Yasmin Ahmad Museum.
Perched close to the Kinta and Kampar Rivers — perfect for kayaking, rafting and boat trips — Ipoh is also surrounded by jungle. Hike through lush landscapes, bathe in healing hot springs, or delve into Sam Poh Tong, Malaysia's largest cave temple. Trekkers will adore discovering the hill settlements, farms and dense, waterfall-studded forests of the Cameron Highlands. Return to one of the best places to stay in Ipoh for evenings of delicious food, bustling night markets and chic bars.
The Best Places to Stay in Ipoh
For Boutique Chic
- Ipoh Bali Hotel is an intimate bolthole for couples or families looking to stay somewhere friendly, small and characterful in the city. Balinese-inspired interiors feature cane lampshades, batik artwork and private terraces with hanging chairs. A chic B&B with massages and free bicycles.
For a Wellness Retreat
- The Banjaran is one of Malaysia's best spa hotels, specialising in Ayurvedic treatments and Chinese medicines. Tucked in the rainforest outside Ipoh, contemporary villas with private pools invite guests to unwind between revitalising spa treatments, gourmet dinners, jungle walks or restorative yoga. A superb wellness retreat.
For Great Value
- M Boutique Ipoh has a retro feel, inspired by pre-war shophouses. Rooms offer flexible options for families or groups, there's a restaurant-bar, a lively café and a 24-hour gym. An affordable choice for business or leisure, with meeting spaces and an appealing central location.
- M Boutique Hotel Station 18 offers hip monochromatic interiors, with bold patterned wallpapers and a pared-back, industrial feel. Great value for a simple city stay with a stylish feel. The all-day eatery is very popular.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Ipoh's Sultan Azlan Shah Airport from nearby hubs such as Singapore, or drive 2.5 hours from Kuala Lumpur, or take a slightly longer train.
- If you're confident driving in Asia, Malaysia is a beautiful destination for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Tropical and humid, Malaysia is a year-round destination. Temperatures hover around 28-31°C for much of the year in Ipoh, with the heaviest rainfall expected April - May and September - November. Showers are frequent and refreshing!
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in the Cameron Highlands.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Malaysia.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Ipoh
Best Hotels in Ipoh
M Boutique Ipoh Ipoh (Perak) 93 rooms from £27City Style - The design aims to replicate pre-war shop houses found in historical Malaya, with a trendy twistValue chic - With chic urban style and rooms offered at under $40 - this is a city stealDesigner Shopping - Shop at AEON Mall Kinta City, where you'll find designer boutiques aplentyLocal markets - Explore the bustling night market of Gerbang Malam
A chic hotel lending a modern twist to design reminiscent of the pre-war Malaysian shop houses. Spacious rooms feature exposed brick and retro touches but the bathrooms are indulgent and contemporary and the linen crisp and white. The all-day cafe is a social space. A trendy and central city base. See More
M Boutique Hotel Station 18 Ipoh (Taman Pengkalan Jaya, Station 18) 38 rooms from £29Great walks - Follow the Ipoh Heritage Trail for a sense of the city's fascinating heritage architecture, street art and foodie sceneValue chic - Chic boutique design at very reasonable rates within easy reach of the city centreDesigner - An ultra-hip design hotel offering a contemporary aestetic and a laid-back vibeOther Activities - Make a trip to Kellie's Castle - a remnant of the country's colonial past
Ipoh Bali Hotel Ipoh (Off Jalan Tambun) 12 rooms from £49Museums - Ipoh Tea Museum is a highlight, as are the Geological Museum & Han Chin Pet Soo Museum, charting the region's tin mining pastCycling - Hop aboard one of the hotel's bikes to explore the historic centre of Ipoh on two wheelsRomantic Break - Couples' massages, big bathtubs and a tranquil vibe make this an appealing couples' pickFamilies - Book a Familu Suite for an affordable Ipoh base with little ones
A beautifully designed small hotel offering a calm haven in the heart of the city. Spacious rooms feature floor-to-ceiling windows, private terraces (with hanging chairs), large bathtubs, and chic Balinese design. A small spa promises excellent massages and bikes are given to explore the city. See More
The Banjaran Ipoh 25 rooms from £220Yoga - Take clases in yoga, tai chi, qi gong and meditation on a serene, waterside platform surrounded by lush vegetationGreat walks - Discover the fora and fauna of the rainforest with a guided jungle walk, or enjoy a foodie tour of historic IpohHideaway - A romantic hideaway for food and wellness-focused couples, with gorgeous villas set in the rainforestSpa breaks - One of the best spa hotels in Malaysia, offering natural hot springs and superb wellness treatmentsRecommended by - CN Traveller, Kiwi Collection
A zen hotel & spa designed to rejuvenate mind & soul. Special Chinese medicine, anti-ageing therapies, and an Ayurvedic approach. Plenty of small spa pools, contemporary classic villa-suites on stilts, and organic cuisine in a striking cave restaurant. A luxury choice for the health-conscious. See More