Search the best hotels in Malacca
Once one of the greatest trading ports in Southeast Asia, Melaka — also known as Malacca — has a fascinating history. Its well-preserved heart, a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2008, is an endlessly intriguing fusion of Malay, Portuguese, Chinese, British and Indian influences. Just two hours' drive south of Kuala Lumpur, it's a brilliant place for keen foodies, history buffs and architecture aficionados to explore. Accommodation options range from simple small hotels to landmark gems, fit for a whole host of tastes and budgets. Whether perched on the Melaka River or hidden amidst a row of old shophouses, our pick of the best places to stay in Malacca promise character and charm in spades.
Stroll the city streets to admire impressive architecture, pop into marvellous museums, or savour superb street food. Highlights include Cheng Hoon Teng Temple, Dutch Square, Masjid Selat Melaka and the Dutch-built Stadthuys, the former governor’s residence — now home to a fantastic museum. Don’t miss the Maritime Museum, the Baba & Nyonya Heritage Museum or beautiful Villa Sentosa. Keen hikers can clamber up Bukit China for astounding views, whilst boat trips on the Melaka River are a relaxing way to see the city from the water. Venture further afield for cycle rides through farmland and forests, lazy beach days or family trips to Melaka Zoo and the Melaka Botanical Gardens.
If you’re in town over the weekend, the Jonker Walk Night Market is a must. It’s conveniently within walking distance of most of the best places to stay in Malacca!
The Best Places to Stay in Malacca
For Old-World Elegance
- The Majestic Malacca offers 54 superb rooms and suites in a restored 1920s mansion overlooking the Melaka River. A real gem for foodies looking to savour Kristang cuisine, or for romantics eager to hide away in heritage rooms with big four-poster beds and striking views. Lovely.
- Liu Men Melaka is a beautiful boutique hotel housed in a row of restored shophouses. Expect chic black-and-white interiors in 30 rooms and suites, some of which have private terraces and views over the terracotta rooftops of the old town. The hotel restaurant, Dapur, specialises in Melaka classics, including colourful Nyonya cakes. Private events in the courtyard are fabulous. Elegant and romantic.
For Great Value
- Rosa Malacca is a hip design hotel promising affordable rooms for groups of friends and families in an appealingly sociable setting. Interiors feature exposed brick walls, black steel details and lots of glass; there's a central courtyard café, a shop and meeting spaces for events. Industrial chic style and a lively atmosphere.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Malacca International Airport and travel to your destination by taxi. Alternatively, journey to Kuala Lumpur International Airport drive 2 hours or take the 3.5 hour train south from Kuala Lumpur.
- If you're confident driving in Asia, Malaysia is a beautiful destination for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Tropical and humid, Malaysia is a year-round destination. Temperatures hover around 28-33°C for much of the year, with the heaviest rainfall expected in April - May and October - November. Showers are frequent. Expect Malacca to be particularly busy during festival periods, including Chinese New Year.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Penang.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Malaysia.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Malacca
Best Hotels in Malacca
Rosa Malacca Malacca 60 rooms from £50Museums - Delve into Malacca's past at the Cheng Ho Cultural Museum or the Baba & Nyonya Heritage MuseumGroups - A lively, sociable hub of a hotel, perfect for family or groups trips to MalaccaCity Style - A hip industrial feel is created through lots of exposed brick and glassLocal markets - Shop for souvenirs as you snack at the Jonker Walk Night Market, held each weekend
An award-winning design hotel with a pared-back industrial vibe — think exposed brick walls, glass and steel — Rosa is a gathering place for sociable visitors of all ages. Brilliant for meetings and events, the hotel has a lively courtyard restaurant, a gym and flexible room options. Great fun. See More
Liu Men Melaka Malacca 30 rooms from £90City Style - A chic boutique spot for well-heeled couples, families and friends looking to explore Malacca or celebrate something specialOther Activities - Journey along the Melaka River by boat, following the path of the old trade route which enabled the city to grow wealthyHoneymoons - Book the Cheng Ho Suite for a spoiling honeymoon stop in a gorgeous heritage gem. Free-standing tubs are a highlightLocal markets - Enjoy delicious dishes, live music & handicraft shopping at the Jonker Street Night Market, 6 minutes' walk away
Restored pre-war shophouses hide chic, Art Deco-inspired rooms & suites with monochrome interiors, crisp white linens & big free-standing tubs. Some rooms have rooftop views & private terraces. The courtyard is ideal for celebratory dinners & charming Malacca is on your doorstep. Boutique bliss. See More
The Majestic Malacca Malacca 54 rooms from £105Foodies - Feast on simple, fresh Kristang cuisine at The Mansion: foodies will love delving into Malacca's culinary heritage in styleGolf - Play at round at the Pandanusa Golf Club on Pulau Besar, the Ayer Keroh Country Club, or the Orna Golf and Country ClubRomantic Break - Experience romantic old-world charm & superb service as you relax at the pool & spa, or enjoy Malacca River viewsCooking classes - Delve into the Kristang Culinary Journey with a private, chef-led cooking class at The MajesticRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
A stunning 1920s mansion with preserved Portuguese, Chinese & Malay elements. Sumptuous rooms & suites have four poster beds, beautiful furnishings and river views. Fabulous spa, excellent restaurant & a refreshing swimming pool. A luxurious choice for heritage buffs, foodies and romantics. See More