Search the best hotels in Cuernavaca
Glamorous Cuernavaca is one of Mexico’s most well-known colonial cities, and has long been popular with both domestic and international visitors. The city’s appeal has ensured that accommodation options are wide-ranging, with everything from low-key guesthouses to chic boutique properties, fit for a whole array of budgets. Our pick of the best places to stay in Cuernavaca includes some striking small hotels, with excellent food, beautiful interiors and heaps of style.
Tracing its history back to at least 1200 AD, Cuernavaca was conquered first by the Aztecs and later by the Spanish. The city boasts a wealth of impressive monuments, elegant colonial edifices and historic residences — some of which have been turned into marvellous hotels, spas, restaurants and museums. Today, Cuernavaca enjoys huge popularity with capitalinos — the residents of Mexico City, which is just 50 miles away — who flock to the city for weekends.
Cuernavaca’s lively atmosphere is certainly part of the attraction. Stroll through the central plaza — the Zocalo — for live entertainment and cosy eateries spilling out onto the square. Admire the Plaza de Armas and Palacio de Gobierno, as well as the 16th century Catedral de la Asunción de María, one of the oldest churches in Mexico. Once the summer home of Hernán Cortés, the Palacio de Cortés has since become the imposing Museo de Cuauhnáhuac, whilst the Museo Casa Robert Brady features works by the likes of Frida Kahlo and Rufino Tamayo. Tours of the workshop of Mexican muralist Alfaro Siquieros also come highly recommended!
Nineteenth century visitor Alexander von Humboldt dubbed Cuernavaca the City of Eternal Spring, in reference to its wonderfully temperate year-round climate — which continues to be key to its popularity. Admire the lush Jardín Borda, a short walk from the city centre, or venture to the San Anton Waterfall and the Chapultepec Park for lush, green scenery. Cuernavaca is well-located for forays to the archaeological sites of Teopanzolco and Xochicalco, too.
Galleries, museums and enchanting historic edifices aside, Cuernavaca is also home to some of the best spas in Mexico, as well as a fun foodie scene and lots of great bars. Many of the best places to stay in Cuernavaca are near the colonial city centre, offering the perfect base to soak up all that this fascinating city has to offer. Whether you’re eager to unwind at the spa, to feast on gourmet delights or to relax by the pool, Cuernavaca is set to dazzle and delight.
The best places to stay in Cuernavaca
For a chic central stay
- Las Casas B+B promises a seriously stylish stay in the historic centre of town. The eleven rooms and suites have a chic, monochrome vibe, there's a charming garden with a pool, and a range of treatments at the spa. Pick a perch at the buzzing bar or restaurant for lively DJ nights and some of the best food in town. A hip & happening choice!
- Flor de Mayo offers more minimalist modern interiors and a wonderfully laid-back vibe. Ideal for a relaxing couples' break, the hotel offers a great outdoor pool, a spa and a gym. Savour the restaurant's fantastic food and unwind on the sun terrace after exploring the sights. The central location is a big plus.
- Anticavilla Hotel is a beautiful, luxurious hotel in a colonial building. Think chic boutique interiors, indulgent bathrooms and a spoiling spa. Stay for the gourmet Italian restaurant and superb wine list. A foodie favourite!
For an apartment or villa
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Mexico City, and hop aboard a bus or drive the 1-1.5 hours to Cuernavaca. Do be aware that the road is filled with city dwellers escaping Mexico City during the weekends, and there can be a lot of traffic. Cuernavaca also has a small domestic airport, serving destinations across the country.
- This is a great region to explore by road. Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Cuernavaca is a wonderful year-round destination, with balmy temperatures averaging around the mid-20s, which is great for exploring. Do consider avoiding the rainy season (June to September), unless you're happy to spend some of the day hopping from one cafe to another!
Still not sure?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Mexico City.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Mexico.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Cuernavaca
Best Hotels in Cuernavaca
Las Casas B+B Cuernavaca 11 rooms from £67City Style - A seriously stylish pad in the centre of Cuernavaca with chic rooms, pool and lively bar/restaurantValue chic - With rooms from as little as $86 per night including breakfast, it's a steal!Local exploring - The ideal base for exploring historic CuernavacaRestaurant - House restaurant is well known in Cuernavaca and serves a delicious mix of Mexican, Mediterranean & Italian dishes.Recommended by - Tablet
A seriously stylish property in the historic centre of town. Eleven contemporary rooms and suites with a monochrome vibe plus a splash of grey, and luxurious ensuites some with standalone tubs. Charming garden with pool and excellent bar and restaurant for late night entertainment. Lively and fun! See More
Flor de Mayo Cuernavaca (Centro Historico) 24 rooms from £81Restaurant - Mexican and Asian influences using local vegetables, fruits and flowers.5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Quirky - An experience!
A floral theme runs throughout this hotel, whose top priority is the relaxation and enjoyment of its guests. It achieves this through a gorgeous outdoor swimming pool, spa, gym, gourmet restaurant and delightful sun terrace. Well located in Cuernavaca with several beautiful tourist sights close by. See More
Anticavilla Hotel Cuernavaca (Esq. Chilpancingo Col. Vista Hermosa) 12 rooms from £101Foodies - Sample gourmet Italian cuisine alongside a choice wine list.Spa breaks - A spoiling spa using Natura Bissé products.Sights nearby - Visit the the Palace of Hernan Cortes, one of the oldest preserved buildings in the country.Great walks - Take a stroll around the garden Borda where the vice regal nobility went to rest.Recommended by - Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels
A boutique hotel set in a colonial house in the heart of the historic centre. Well proportioned rooms keep their original charm yet feature a hip twist with large contemporary murals. Dine on excellent Italian cuisine and unwind in the utterly pampering spa. The ideal city base. See More