Search the best hotels in Guanajuato
Famed for its colourful buildings and labyrinthine streets, charming Guanajuato is a fascinating city to explore. There is a broad range of accommodation available to suit a host of budgets, from simple guesthouses to smart boutique hotels. Our pick of the best places to stay in Guanajuato all invite travellers to unwind in style after a day spent discovering one of Mexico’s most wonderful gems.
Whilst many of Mexico’s visitors stick solely to the beach, cities such as Guanajuato are a brilliant opportunity to get a sense of the country’s complex history and culture. Surrounded by 6,700ft mountains and nestled in a narrow valley, Guanajuato was for centuries a mining town, rich in silver and gold — which made it extremely valuable to Spanish conquistadors. The region’s colonial legacy can be seen through the beautiful architecture of the historic city centre. Admire brightly-painted eighteenth century houses, impressive university buildings and sprawling plazas, as well as an intriguing network of streets which dip into subterranean tunnels; relics of efforts to divert an ancient river.
Don’t miss the imposing yellow Basílica on Plaza de la Paz, surrounded by heritage buildings and attractive gardens, or Jardin de la Union, which plays host to frequent musical performances and is an excellent place for a lazy afternoon drink. Unravel the city’s history through visits to its museums — the Mummies of Guanajuato Museum is especially popular — as well as to the old mines beyond the city limits. For spell-binding views, take a cable car across the gorge: the Guanajuato rooftops and the mountains beyond are a sight to remember.
Whilst Guanajuato is an excellent year-round destination, the annual Festival Internacional Cervantino, held each autumn, is a hands-down highlight for arts and culture aficionados. Whether you’ve been strolling the streets by day or partying the night away in true Mexican style, the best places to stay in Guanajuato promise a restful, indulgent place to lay your head before embarking on another day of adventure.
The best places to stay in Guanajuato
For boutique bliss
- Villa Maria Cristina is a charming boutique hotel set around a leafy courtyard. Lovely rooms are traditional in style with antique furniture, wooden floors and luxurious bathrooms. A roof terrace, two swimming pools and an intimate spa provide plenty of space to unwind. There's an excellent restaurant too.
For a central location
- Edelmira Hotel is an atmospheric hotel in a restored nineteenth century house. Think exposed stone walls, classic furniture and long windows offering striking city views, as well as a wonderful indoor pool and characterful restaurant. The superb central location makes this spot ideal for exploring.
- Hotel Boutique 1850 boasts bold, individually-designed rooms with big, cosy beds in the heart of the city. Relax at the spa after a day of exploring, or hit the rooftop bar for cocktails with gorgeous city views. Pick this place for a modern, indulgent feel and central location.
For an apartment or holiday home
- If you would prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com
- There are regular national and international flights to Guanajuato Airport (BJX). The trip from the airport to the city centre takes around 30 minutes by car or taxi.
- Contact our partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Alternatively, hop aboard one of the regular buses from Mexico City or San Miguel de Allende, for a more affordable — albeit slightly slower -- transport option.
- Guanajuato is a wonderful year round destination, though the region is at its most rainy between July and September. Visit in the autumn for the fabulous Festival Internacional Cervantino -- do check the dates as they change annually. This is an exciting time to explore Guanajuato, but it can be crowded and more expensive than the rest of the year. Book your stay well in advance to avoid missing out!
Still not sure?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in San Miguel de Allende or Queretaro.
- Alternatively, check out our pick of the best places to stay in Mexico.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Guanajuato
Best Hotels in Guanajuato
Hotel Boutique 1850 Guanajuato (Colonia Centro) 20 rooms from £126Local exploring - With a prime location close to museums, bars and restaurants, this hotel is the perfect starting point for local exploringCity Style - Set in a beautifully restored heritage property in the heart of the old town, this hotel has lots of local city charmRomantic Break - Couples love the romantic atmosphere at this historic hotel; book a couples' massage at the chic 1850 spaSights nearby - Climb up to the Pipila Monument, a statue commemorating a hero in the War of Independence; enjoy great city views at the top
This boutique hotel is set in a turn-of-the-century property in the historic centre of Guanajuato, Mexico. Elegant guestrooms line the hotel's light-filled interior gallery; the best have exposed walls and original wooden beams. Take in city views while enjoying a cocktail at the chic rooftop bar. See More
Villa Maria Cristina Guanajuato 13 rooms from £131Hideaway - A tranquil and luxurious retreat to completely unwind.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.SpaRestaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux, Tablet
A charming boutique hotel set around a leafy courtyard. Well proportioned rooms are traditional in style with antique furniture, wooden floors and luxurious bathrooms. A roof terrace, two swimming pools and small spa provide plenty of space to unwind. There's an excellent restaurant too. Very chic. See More
Edelmira Hotel Guanajuato 27 rooms from £167Local exploring - A historical building well positioned to access the valley's many attractions.Sights nearby - The city itself is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Wander the cobbled streets and admire the colonial architecture.Full of characterViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Tablet
An atmospheric hotel boasting an excellent location within historic Guanajuato. Traditionally styled rooms feature exposed stone walls, simple classic furniture and long windows to enjoy the city views from. Find yourself just steps from many of the historical sights. Ideal for city exploring. See More