San Miguel de Allende
Search the best hotels in San Miguel de Allende
About San Miguel de Allende
Visiting the small city of San Miguel de Allende is like taking a journey back to old, colonial Mexico at its most beautiful. This is one of those places where the light makes even more out of the postcard-perfect main plaza, the impressive main church, the cobbled streets and graceful architecture, and makes the place feel quite magical. The best hotels and places to stay in San Miguel de Allende — from the more traditional luxury hotels to a great selection of chic, boutique properties — are all well located near the centre of town, to make the most of this gorgeous city.
In the early history of Spain's conquest of Mexico (then known as New Spain), San Miguel de Allende was a major metropolis, with a population larger than New York in the mid 18th century. It then played a prominent role in Mexico's war of independence in the early 19th century, becoming the first city to gain independence from the Spanish, a launchpad for the revolution.
Thereafter, it somewhat stagnated economically. However, this slowdown has reaped benefits for travellers today in that much of its old colonial architecture was preserved and not destroyed to make way for more modern structures. Consequently, when travel opened up after the second world war, San Miguel de Allende began to attract a bohemian crowd, with an influx of artists and writers from the US and Canada drawn in by its stunning mix of baroque and neoclasical architecture. They opened art galleries and museums and coffee shops, and today the cultural scene here is thriving, with frequent local fiestas and parades. In recent years these have been added to with a string of artisan boutiques and galleries displaying the work of some of Mexico's best artists and craftsmen. It's a great place to shop as well as to sightsee!
In 2008 San Miguel de Allende was granted World Heritage status. Today the city is highly cosmopolitan, and there's plenty of choice when it comes to the hotels here or places to eat, both catering to the backpacker brigade as well as a more discerning Hotel Guru on tour...
Our selection of the best places to stay in and around San Miguel de Allende include a wide range of hotels and haciendas, from luxurious rural hideaways to boutique city hotels, all ideal in their own ways for exploring everything this great city has to offer.
The Best Places to Stay in San Miguel de Allende
- The Hotel Matilda is a luxury hotel where style is key. Prestigious modern art adorns the walls and a plethora of opulent amenities are designed to cater for every whim of comfort-seeking guests. Spa, gym, swimming pool, quality restaurant and library are all on site, with a number of activities available off-site.
- Nearby, the colonial era Rosewood San Miguel de Allende delivers everything you would expect from this top notch chain — including its signature restaurant serving authentic Mexican cuisine, a full service spa, and a range of self contained residences which are ideal for families (some with their own hot tub and roof top terrace).
For a traditional feel
- Hacienda El Santuario is an atmospheric property in the heart of San Miguel de Allende. Spacious rooms are traditional in style with white washed walls, fireplaces, enormous windows, four-poster beds and luxurious bathrooms. With easy access to the city's main attractions this makes a great base for local exploring.
- Hotel Amparo occupies a 19th-century mansion in the historic centre. Just five elegant suites are built around a traditional interior courtyard and offer a mix of heritage features and local textiles.
For lovers of chic
- L'Otel is a small (but perfectly formed) property whose individually designed suites feature soft hues, antique furniture, luxurious bathrooms and floor to ceiling windows. A rooftop pool and bar are the icing on this appealing cake. Fabulous.
- For a more modern take from the same owners, check out the uber chic L'Otel @ Doce 18 Concept House, with its cooling shades of white and cream, its in-room massages, a cool bar and a hot tub and sun terrace.
- Unwind completely at Dos Casas Hotel & Spa — a chic boutique hotel boasting impressive city views. Atmospheric rooms feature exposed brick, beamed ceilings, crisp white linen and wonderfully contemporary bathrooms. A spoiling spa and fabulous restaurant make this a winning choice.
- With opportunities for guests to participate in cooking classes, Belmond Casa de Sier is a spectacular property set in a 16th-century residence which perfectly combines historic charm and contemporary style. Spacious suites feature chandeliers, ornate antique furniture and fireplaces. A tranquil garden and pool are ideal for unwinding and the restaurant serves exemplary regional cuisine.
- Centrally located Casa No Name is the former home of fashion photographer Deborah Turbeville, and before that a bishop, and its six rooms are packed with original features. For adults only, it offers a rooftop hot tub and bar — all in all a stylish and elegant bolt-hole infused with local history.
- Another adults only, six room boutique is Nena, packed with art and original features. A plus here is the rooftop pool, and if you want to be self sufficient, choose the Pilar Suite, which comes equipped with a kitchen.
- Not far away is Casa Blanca 7, which boasts four poster beds and free standing baths, for the ultimate romantic getaway. It adds contemporary luxury to a traditional residential building, and has a fine restaurant serving innovative dishes.
- If it's a private hot tub you are after, book the rooftop suite at Casa Delphine, with its fabulous city-view terrace. Or check into the adults only Casa Hoyos and book yourself a master suite. You'll then want to repair to the sexy cocktail bar by the roof pool, before a romantic dinner in one of the nearby eateries. Bliss.
For something different
- 20 minutes out of town is the gorgeous Casa Adela. With great homegrown dishes (with veg from the farm), a mineral rich pool with countryside views, and a healing spa, this hotel provides a great base away from the crowds in tranquil surroundings.
For an apartment or villa
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday, don't hesitate to visit our online partner, Booking.com for a great selection of properties perfect for exploring everything the city has to offer.
- Fly to Querétaro Intercontinental Airport situated 86km (53 miles) from San Miguel de Allende. The airport serves a good selection of both domestic and International destinations. It is also possible to get a bus from Querétaro to San Miguel de Allende.
- If you want to rent a car, for prices visit our online partner, Rentalcars
- San Miguel de Allende is a year round destination but the best time to visit is probably between November and April when you'll find warm daily temperatures (although it can get cold at night) with less rainfall than other months.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in San Miguel de Allende,
- Alternatively, widen the net and include our recommendations in Mexico City or Valle de Bravo
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in San Miguel de Allende
Best Hotels in San Miguel de Allende
Hacienda El Santuario San Miguel de Allende (Downtown) 24 rooms from £87Local exploring - An authentic stay well located close to downtown San Miguel de Allende.Sights nearby - Visit the atmospheric Parish of San Miguel Arcángel.Local markets - Scour the Handicraft Market for local artefacts.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Tablet
An atmospheric property in the heart of San Miguel de Allende. Spacious rooms are traditional in style with white washed walls, fireplaces, enormous windows, four-poster beds and luxurious bathrooms. With easy access to the city's main attractions this makes for a tranquil and easy base. See More
Nena San Miguel de Allende 6 rooms from £131Local exploring - Located close to the main attractions in San Miguel de Allende, this hotel is perfect for local exploring in the cityRomantic Break - Couples love the relaxed atmosphere at this adults-only guesthouse, especially at the rooftop pool and barCity Style - Situated in a beautifully restored heritage building, this boutique hotel has lots of local styleSights nearby - Visit the Parroquia de San Miguel Arcángel, a majestic, landmark church with a towering pink spire
This boutique hotel is located in a heritage building in downtown San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. Rooms boast original tiled floors, high ceilings and unique artworks; book the Pilar Suite for a walk-in wardrobe and fully-equipped kitchen. Unwind with a drink by the rooftop pool; a chic bolt-hole. See More
Casa Hoyos San Miguel de Allende 16 rooms from £135Boutique - An 18th century house that's been stylishly renovated into a boutique hotel with local art, bespoke furniture, & dusty pink huesRomantic Break - The hotel has a grown-up feel with its sexy rooftop bar & the option of booking a Master Suite with a hot tub large enough for 2Lively - Rooftop bar Bekeb is becoming one of the city’s hottest spots for cocktails, thanks to the imaginative drinks menuRestaurant - As de Guia serves modern Mexican cuisine in the pretty courtyard while the rooftop bar offers ceviche and tacosRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
An uber stylish adult-only boutique hotel set in a grand 18th century house. Set around a courtyard, rooms are decorated in dusky pinks with black-tiled floors and bespoke furniture. The Master Suites have large whirlpool tubs. The rooftop with a pool and hip cocktail bar steals the show. See More
Casa Adela No. 51 San Miguel de Allende 7 rooms from £187Country Escape - A luxurious rural escape offering plenty of space, a delightful spa and superb farm fresh foodFamilies - The family suite comprises of two adjoining roomsSights nearby - Take a cultural tour of San Miguel de Allende - the property offers a complimentary shuttle to townRestaurant - Dishes provide a modern take on Mexican cuisine with many of the ingredients grown on site.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A luxurious rural property located just north of San Miguel de Allende. Comprising of just seven rooms the aesthetic is fresh, contemporary and spacious. Think floor to ceiling glass, whitewashed walls and modern artworks. Large pool, indulgent spa and excellent restaurant make this a relaxing stay. See More
Casa Delphine San Miguel de Allende (Colonia Centro) 5 rooms from £189Local exploring - Hidden on a quiet street but still an easy 10-minute walk to La Parroquia, this hotel is perfect for local exploringRomantic Break - Couples love the romantic atmosphere at this boutique hotel; book the rooftop suite for a private terrace hot tubCity Style - Set in a charming period property with many preserved heritage details, this hotel has lots of local city styleSights nearby - Visit the Las Monjas Temple, one of two landmark churches in San Miguel de Allende and a short walk from this hotelRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
This boutique hotel concept is nestled on a cobblestone street in the heart of San Miguel de Allende. The elegant guestrooms feature Cantera fireplaces and a balcony that overlooks the hotel's private courtyard; book the rooftop suite for a terrace hot tub with panoramic views. A stylish bolt-hole. See More
Belmond Casa de Sierra Nevada San Miguel de Allende 37 rooms from £2045* Luxury - A stunning luxury property created from various 17th and 18th century buildings. The Belmond group delivers again!Local exploring - Well located to explore San Miguel de Allende's historical sights.Sights nearby - Take a walking tour and admire the town's beautiful architecture.Cooking classes - Learn the regions' secrets at the Sazón cooking school.Recommended by - Tablet
A spectacular property set in a 16th-century residence perfectly combining historic charm and contemporary style. Spacious suites feature chandeliers, ornate antique furniture and fireplaces. A tranquil garden and pool are ideal for unwinding by and the restaurant serves exemplary regional cuisine. See More
Casa No Name San Miguel de Allende (Centro Historico) 6 rooms from £217City Style - Located in the one-time home of fashion photographer Deborah Turbeville, this hotel has reams of local city styleRomantic Break - Couples love the grown-up atmosphere at this adults-only hotel; book a couples' massage for a romantic night inLocal exploring - Set in the historic centre of San Miguel de Allende, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploringSights nearby - Visit the Church of St. Michael the Archangel, a grand, neo-Gothic church known for its pink spires and ornate sanctuaryRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
This luxury hotel is located in the historic centre of San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. Elegant guestrooms feature preserved heritage detail, antique furniture and period artwork; book the master suite for a private terrace and fireplace. Unwind by the hot tub at the rooftop bar; a stylish bolt-hole. See More
Hotel Matilda San Miguel de Allende (53 Centro) 23 rooms from £224Four poster beds - For romantics.5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Restaurant - Recommended.Spa
Luxury chic hotel where style is key. Prestigious modern art adorns the walls and a plethora of opulent amenities are designed to cater for every whim of comfort-seeking guests. Spa, gym, swimming pool, quality restaurant and library all on site, with a number of activities available off-site. See More
Hotel Amparo San Miguel de Allende (Col. Centro) 5 rooms from £235Local exploring - Located in the heart of San Miguel de Allende's old town, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploringRomantic Break - Couples love this hotel's stylish suites; book the luxury Amparo Suite for a freestanding bath and terraceCity Style - Set in a heritage property with preserved features, this hotel has lots of local city styleLocal markets - Browse authentic arts and crafts at the nearby Mercado de Artesanías, a traditional market displaying local artisan waresRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Small Luxury Hotels
This luxury hotel occupies a 19th-century mansion in the historic centre of San Miguel de Allende. Elegant suites line an interior courtyard and feature a blend of heritage features, modern design and local textiles; book the Amparo Suite for a freestanding bath. Unwind at the bar; a refined hotel. See More
Dos Casas Hotel & Spa Centro San Miguel de Allende 12 rooms from £251Local exploring - Just a short walk from the city centre and boasting spectacular views of San Miguel de Allende.Spa breaks - Be utterly pampered over a personalised therapy at the Dos Casas Spa.Local markets - Explore the Mercado de Artesanias for local handicrafts.Sights nearby - Visit the famed Parroquia de San Miguel Arcangel.Recommended by - Design Hotels
Casa Blanca 7 San Miguel de Allende 10 rooms from £261Romantic Break - With dinner served under the stars and suites that feature in-room freestanding baths and four-posters — this is a romantic baseLocal exploring - Wander the cobbled streets, admire the colonial architecture, and discover world-class cuisine in the historic centreHistoric - The property dates back to the 17th century and is set in the historic centre, offering a real sense of placeSights nearby - Visit nearby historic sites such as the Church of St. Michael the Archangel and Las Monjas TempleRecommended by - Tablet
A grand residential house dating back to the 17th century turned into an elegant small hotel. Rooms & suites keep the building's original features but have contemporary luxuries such as feature gas fireplaces. The courtyard restaurant serves very good innovative fare. Characterful & well-positioned. See More
Rosewood San Miguel de Allende San Miguel de Allende 67 rooms from £293Foodies - With a restaurant, tapas bar and tequila bar all on-site, foodies will delight at this hotel's culinary offeringsRomantic Break - This colonial-era property and its beautifully appointed rooms make a wonderful setting for a romantic getawayLocal exploring - Located in the heart of San Miguel de Allende, this hotel is a great base for local exploring in the cityGreat walks - Take a long walk through the pretty Benito Juarez Park neighbouring the hotel
Sophisticated luxury in the centre of San Miguel de Allende. Rooms have colonial-era interiors and heritage features, from high ceilings and exposed wooden beams to private balconies; book a private residence for a luxurious, self-contained apartment. Dine at the rooftop tapas bar; a chic hotel. See More
L'Otel Chiquitos San Miguel de Allende (Colonia Centro) 4 rooms from £293Hideaway - A tranquil property with just 4 suites. A real home away from home but with some serious luxury too.Local exploring - Ideally located for easy access to the town's major attractions.Massage - They offer a wide range of in-suite massagesSights nearby - Visit the town's central square and marvel at the impressive La Parroquia church.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
A small (but perfectly formed) property centrally located in picturesque San Miguel de Allende. Individually designed suites feature soft hues, antique furniture, luxurious bathrooms and floor to ceiling windows. A rooftop pool and bar are the icing on this appealing cake. Fabulous. See More
L'Otel @ Doce 18 Concept House San Miguel de Allende 10 rooms from £304City Style - A very stylish stay complete with an artists concept area on the ground floor offering everything from local art to tequilaLocal exploring - Well placed in Centro’s making this an ideal spot to explore San Migeul de Allende by footSights nearby - Visit the vast pink Parroquia de San Miguel Arcángel that dominates the skylineLocal markets - Head to Mercado de Artesanias to pick up local handicraftsRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A boutique stay in the heart of San Miguel de Allende. Housing a Concept Area displaying everything local from ceramics to tequilas. Boasting a superb cocktail bar and an excellent restaurant. While the collection of spacious rooms are undeniably stylish and the rooftop pool is an indulgent touch. See More