Search the best hotels in High Atlas
About High Atlas
Morocco's High Atlas mountains rise green out of the desert, dotted with traditional stone Berber villages. The highest mountain range in North Africa, this spectacular region is a real playground for adventurers. The High Atlas's 1000kms of mountain range is criss crossed with walking or biking trails, and there are some wonderful paddling opportunities. There's even some skiing. All the best places to stay in the High Atlas will be able to advise you of the best outdoor adventures around.
Some of our High Atlas collections:
What not to Miss
- The High Atlas is where you'll find the purest forms of Berber culture, in the tiny villages clinging to the mountains. Aït-Benhaddou, with mud brick buildings is one of the best known - probably because of its World Heritage Status.
- Amizmiz is another well known town, this time it's probably because there is one of the largest Berber souks in the area.
- If you're here for an adventure Jebel Toubkal is probably the biggest. It's both one of the highest mountains in North Africa and a very achievable summit - it can be done in two or three days. You don't need a permit to climb the mountain and it's relatively easy to find an excellent guide - and very possible to 'go it alone'. Better not to attempt the climb in summer.
The Hotel Guru's pick of the best places to stay in the High Atlas Mountains range from a simple guesthouse, perfect for trekkers on a budget, to the uber luxury of Richard Branson's exclusive retreat in the hills.
The Best Places to Stay in the High Atlas
The Best Places to Stay in the High Atlas to experience Berber culture
- Traditional and comfortable, the Kasbah Bab Ourika is eco-friendly and with a Berber feel. Traditional 'rammed earth' walls surround rose-filled courtyards and there's a gorgeous terrace and pool. Plus there's plenty to do in the staggeringly beautiful surrounding countryside. Only 45minutes from Marrakech.
- The Domaine de la Roseraie is a rural paradise in the foothills of the High Atlas. It's surrounded by wonderful trekking country and a great place to unwind. The altitude, 1000 metres above sea level, means it's cool in summer and being tucked away in a valley, also mild in winter.
The Best Places to Stay in the High Atlas for easy access to Mt. Toubkal
- Kasbah du Toubkal is the place to stay if you're planning an assault on Mt. Toubkal. This haven for walkers and trekkers offers a wonderful eco-friendly back-to-nature experience. If you're feeling worn out with all the guided walking, then relax in the hammam or with a mint tea on the roof terrace.
- Dar Adrar is a simple guesthouse within the Toubkal National Park, but still only an hours drive from Marrakech. In a lovely little Berber village with spectacular views of the mountains, this is the kind of place where the hot water may not always come on demand, but the grand breakfasts and excellent tagines will make up for it.
The Most Luxurious Places to Stay in the High Atlas
- Gorgeous Berber castle, Kasbah Angour is the Moroccan equivalent of a country house hotel. With 25 rooms, two suites and a decent restaurant. The views over the High Atlas foothills are spectacular, there's a beautiful garden and a huge swimming pool.
- If you're looking for proper five star luxury, look no further than the Kasbah Tamadot. Owned by Richard Branson, these 28 rooms are exclusive and very luxurious, providing their guests with every bohemian opulent comfort. There is ballooning, trekking, a hammam and spa, yoga classes, cooking classes, golf, tennis, birdwatching and mule rides available.
The Best Places to Stay in the High Atlas to Escape and Relax
- A former country house, The Capaldi now feels like a country house hotel and is a beautiful place to escape from busy Marrakech. The desert backdrop is peaceful and the 23 rooms are exotic and luxurious. They also have a cinema, two pools and a hammam.
- L'Amandier is in a spectacular setting, and is a spectacular hotel. Inside it’s cool and contemporary with floor to ceiling glass and minimalist style.
The Best Value Places to Stay in the High Atlas
- Perfect for trekkers, Dour Samra is a wonderfully simple, yet comfortable guesthouse in the heart of the High Atlas Mountains. Obviously the scenery is magnificent from each of the eight rooms and the room rate starts from around £40 per night.
Prefer an apartment?
If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend you visit our online partner booking.com.
- Marrakech-Menara Airport and Fès–Saïs Airport are both considered gateways to the High Atlas Mountains, but Marrakech is closer and only about 40minutes drive.
- If you want to hire a car - which you might want to do if you’re staying in the High Atlas Mountains and you want to see more of Morocco - we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- If you’re hiking the best time to visit the High Atlas Mountains is between March and November. July and August are hot, but the elevation here means it’s not as hot as the rest of Morocco. December through February are cooler and the days are still sunny. The best time to summit Mt. Toubkal is between April and September.
Still not sure?
- Consider instead the best places to stay in Ouarzazate, a quiet town at the base of the High Atlas mountains,
- One of the best places to stay in Marrakech? or one of the best hotels near Marrakech?
- Or traditional Fez?
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in High Atlas
Kasbah Bab Ourika Ourika, High Atlas 28 rooms from £130
A stunning escape in the foothills of the Atlas mountains less than an hour from Marrakech. With staggering mountain views - this is the perfect place for enthusiastic trekkers as well as those who want to relax.Exclusive offer - Eco friendly breakLuxuryGreat walks - In the national park and the Atlas MountainsViews - Spectacular views to the Atlas MountainsSwimming Pool - Outdoor Pool
Kasbah du Toubkal Atlas Mountains, High Atlas 17 rooms from £139
An eco-friendly resort perched on the side of the Atlas Mountains. The rooms range from economy dorms to luxurious havens. Moroccan chic decor with exposed wood beams, whitewash walls and bright fabrics. Indescribable views. The delicious food and lovely hosts seal the deal.Exclusive offerActive Holiday - This is the perfect spot to set off on a once ina lifetime trekking experience, not for the faint hearted!Trekking - This is trekking country- Choose from the Flexible 6-day trekking package or the 2-day ascent of Toubkal.Eco break - it employs locals, funds the Village Association and has won a Green Globe for sustainable tourism.Child friendly - Plenty of activities on and off site.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
Dar Adrar Aroumd, High Atlas 8 rooms from £24
A simple and charmingly rustic guesthouse perched in the High Atlas mountains above Imlil.Great walks - Ideal base if you're climbing Mt Toubkal. Owner can arrange guided walks of the area.Hideaway - Tranquil and intimate.Remote - Off the beaten track.Views - Great views from hotel
Douar Samra High Atlas 8 rooms from £41
A wonderful, simple yet comfortable, guesthouse in the heart of the High Atlas. Magnificent scenery, exquisite rooms, respect for the community. The warmest of welcomes and an excellent base for walking or heading to the hills.Great walks - In the heart of the Toubkal National ParkRemote - Off the beaten track.Views - Great views from hotelFull of character
Domaine de la Roseraie Ouirgane, High Atlas 42 rooms from £77
Traditional hotel in the foothills of the Atlas mountains. Large, unpretentious bedrooms with traditional Moroccan features set scattered through exotic gardens. Lovely swimming pool and seasonal cooking. A spa and hammam to completely unwind in. Ideal for nature lovers.Romantic Break - The hotel offers couples massages and Hammam sessions plus romantic dinner for two on your first night.Active Holiday - Ideally situated to explore the Atlas Mountains either on foot or on horseback.Great walks - Take a walk around the 60 acres of rose filled parkland the hotel sits in.Secluded setting - For escaping.
Kasbah Angour High Atlas 25 rooms from £110
Gorgeous Berber castle in foothills of the Atlas Mountains. Superb panoramic views, suites with traditional Moroccan materials and locally made furniture. Beautiful gardens, a large swimming pool and wonderful local excursions. A relaxing spot to recoup in after a day of activity.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolLocal markets - Good for local colour.Views - Great views from hotelTraditional
The Capaldi Marrakech, High Atlas 23 rooms from £148
A former country home, with the Atlas Mountains in the backdrop and desert surround it's a perfect place to retreat after a few days in Marrakech town. Luxurious rooms are bright with exotic colours. With a gourmet restaurant, cinema, two pools and a hammam there is plenty to keep you entertained.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.LuxuryWedding licenseGreat walks - The Lake Lalla Takerkoust is a 40 minute walk from the hotelRecommended by - I Escape
L'Amandier Near Marrakech, High Atlas 6 rooms from £234
A spectacular work of architecture in equally impressive surrounds. Cool and contemporary throughout this is nature experienced the modern way. Rooms with large floor to ceiling glass windows are otherwise minimalist in style leaving the views to do the talking. The ideal mountain getaway.Back to Nature - Find stunning mountains surrounds and architecture that allows one to enjoy it whether inside or out.Views - Great views from hotelSecluded setting - For escaping.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Kasbah Tamadot Asni, High Atlas 28 rooms from £450
Richard Branson's exclusive Moroccan hideaway. The ultimate luxury break - 5-star spa, undulating rose gardens, celestial valley views from its hilltop perch, gourmet feasts. Want for nothing in this Atlas heaven.Active Holiday - With a range of trekking options from north Africa's highest peak Jbel Toubkal to a gentle hike down the river to Asni village.Honeymoons - Romantic suites with wonderful views, charming touches and private dining.Swimming Pool - Infinity pool with stunning viewsHills & mountainsRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Kiwi Collection