Search the best hotels in Tangier
Historically a haven for poets and writers and Europe's gateway to Africa, Tangier is a fascinating city steeped in heritage. Ideal for history buffs and couples looking for a unique getaway, it is a gleaming white city with a charming walled Old Town, not to mention some great art galleries and museums. Check out our collection of the best places to stay in Tangier to find out more!
In spite of a few decades of flatlining and relative decline, Tangier has, in recent years, seen a surge in its fortunes. New developments, including a flashy new marina, have flooded the city with capital, and the city still retains an international clientele of businessmen and celebrities, as it was back in the 1950s, when it was under joint international control, playing host to celebrities like Tennesee Williams and Truman Capote. Cruise ships and the luxury yachts of the rich and rare dock in the city's ports.
The "Medina", the walled Old Town, is a beautiful place to wander around and get totally lost in. Teeming with gorgeous old whitewashed houses and a breathless blend of colonial and Arabic architecture, it features shops, traditional teahouses and even the occasional brothel, (it is a port-city after all!) The Place de France is really a middle-class social hub, but a great place to relax with a cup of tea and do some people-watching.
In terms of things to see and do, be sure to check out the American Legation - doubling up as a museum and art gallery - and the first place the USA set up a diplomatic delegation in the country. Morocco was the first nation to recognise the USA's independence, so there is a lot of historic importance to this site. The Old Sultan's Palace in Kasbah is a must-see: built in the 17th century within walls on a hill, it is a museum displaying the best of the local art scene.
What not to miss
- If you want to sunbathe at the beach, head 10km outside of town where the best beaches are, because the beaches surrounding Tangier are dirty.
- Check out some of the quaint tea houses in the Old Town!
- Visit the 17th century Sultan's Palace, featuring a museum and art gallery.
- Head to the American Legation and enjoy the art on display!
- Go a few miles outside of the city to Hercules' cave, the alleged site where the mythical hero rested upon completion of his 12 Labours.
Picturesque, vibrant and steeped in culture and history, Tangier is a great place for a romantic weekend away. The best places to stay in Tangier will give you the holiday of your dream.
The best places to stay in Tangier
- Palais Zahia: in easy proximity to some of the best sights in the city, this hotel offers traditionally-styled rooms, a charming restaurant and daily yoga classes. Perfect for unwinding after a long day of sightseeing.
- Aux 3 Portes: a romantic and discreet hideaway with a beautiful garden, ideal for couples looking for authenticity and intimacy. Adults-only, boasting a wonderful swimming pool and elegant rooms, it is a great little getaway!
- Dar Tanja: suitable for couples or businessmen, this hotel is set in a residental area of the city. Offering stunning gardens, a swimming pool, a spa and restaurant, not to mention effortlessly chic and bright rooms. A real Tangier treat.
- Dar Sultan: a tranquil and colourful boutique hotel, offering rooms adorned with antiques and lathered in splashes of colour. It stands in close proximity to many museums and historic sites. Authentic and peaceful.
- Le Mirage: in a dramatic clifftop position on the outskirts of the city, this 5* luxury hotel features marbled floors in rooms steeped in Moroccan grandeur. With its own spa, gym, restaurant and private beach, you can't go wrong.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Fly to Tangier Ibn Battuta Airport, on the outskirts of the city.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to go is during the autumn, to escape the summer crowds, and when the temperature flits between 18 and 27 degrees.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Tangier
Dar Tanja 9 rooms from £78Tangier
In a modern complex in the residential Boubana quarter outside the main city, this guest house sits within its own manicured garden with a pool. Suitable for couples, business and groups.Groups - A small hotel offering a secluded spot on the outskirts of Tangier. Ideal for groups to take some or all of the property.Great walks - Wander through the cobbled residential and commercial alleyways of the Kasbah walls.Sights nearby - See The Grande Mosquée Of Tangier.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Palais Zahia 18 rooms from £79Tangier
Well located and easy to find in Petit Socco district just as you start the ascent towards the medina, this large traditional-style hotel, housed in a former bank is perfect for groups large or small.Local exploring - Ideally positioned in the historic centre with many of the main attractions within walking distance.Great walks - Wander through the cobbled residential and commercial alleyways of the Kasbah walls.Romantic - Good for couples.Full of character
Dar Sultan 7 rooms from £87Tangier
A peaceful yet colourful resting place within the medina just a short stroll from the Kasbah and popular local restaurants. Rooms are decorated with rich hues and numerous local artefacts. A sunny terrace is the perfect spot to indulge in breakfast before setting out to explore the city.Local exploring - Ideally positioned in the heart of the Kasbah of Tangier.Sights nearby - Visit the striking Grande Mosquée Of Tangier.Full of characterViews - Great views from hotel
Aux 3 Portes 6 rooms from £105Tangier
A discreet hideaway, oozing charm, hugging the cliff-side ramparts of the old medina. Fairytale secret garden with pool. Romantic and peaceful. Ideal for couples. Very special.Romantic Break - A quirky adult-only property ideal for a romantic hideaway.Sights nearby - The Raissouni Palace in the nearby fishing port of Asilah is a must visit.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolRestrictions on children - Adult only
Le Mirage 45 rooms from £240Tangier
In a spectacular and dramatic position on the Atlantic coast outside Tangier, not far from the airport, sits this 5 star luxury hotel - all marble floors, classy spaciousness and Moroccan grandeur. A smoothly operated retreat with private stretch of beach, 2 pools and deluxe bungalows.Romantic Break - The beach, luxurious suites and utter tranquility makes this an ideal choice for couples.Sights nearby - Visit the Caves of Hercules and Cap Spartel.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolRomantic - Good for couples.